"Jesus gets us" commercial...

• Welcome to Christian Forums, a Christian Forum that recognizes that all Christians are a work in progress.

You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

CadyandZoe

May 17, 2020
Phoenix
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
We are talking about the same commercial of people washing one-another's feet in accordance with Jesus' command?
Yes. But Jesus meant we should serve one another, not condone, excuse, or affirm one another's sinful behavior. The commercial implies that Jesus approved of everyone, no matter what they did or who they were. According to the Bible, Jesus will forgive all those who repent and seek salvation in his name. In other words, Jesus loves us and died for us "as we are," but his intent is not to leave us "as we are." The Jesus that washed Peter's feet is the same Jesus that told the woman caught in adultery to "go and sin no more."

lforrest

Staff member
Admin
Aug 10, 2012
Faith
Christian
Yes. But Jesus meant we should serve one another, not condone, excuse, or affirm one another's sinful behavior. The commercial implies that Jesus approved of everyone, no matter what they did or who they were. According to the Bible, Jesus will forgive all those who repent and seek salvation in his name. In other words, Jesus loves us and died for us "as we are," but his intent is not to leave us "as we are." The Jesus that washed Peter's feet is the same Jesus that told the woman caught in adultery to "go and sin no more."

I don't read into it more than I can see. It is a good message of serving one-another. And if someone hates you, you're act of kindness is as heaping burning coals on their head. Well, unless they are psychopathic, then they will just think you are a sucker.

I've always thought there to be more to washing feet, as implied by Jesus' comment, "The one who has bathed does not need to wash, except for his feet, but is completely clean." Referring to an act of pastoral care; as we walk through this life and pick up "dirt" that may need correction from other believers if they see us going astray in some area.

Mr E

Aug 17, 2022
San Diego
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
I don't read into it more than I can see. It is a good message of serving one-another. And if someone hates you, you're act of kindness is as heaping burning coals on their head. Well, unless they are psychopathic, then they will just think you are a sucker.

I've always thought there to be more to washing feet, as implied by Jesus' comment, "The one who has bathed does not need to wash, except for his feet, but is completely clean." Referring to an act of pastoral care; as we walk through this life and pick up "dirt" that may need correction from other believers if they see us going astray in some area.

It's nothing but WOKE virtue signalling. The folks behind the campaign are flaming liberals of the "Jesus was a progressive" camp.

Sorry to all the poor and hungry, homeless veterans .....

We chose to spend $7 million on this ad instead of giving you a piece of bread, a blanket and blessing.

CadyandZoe

May 17, 2020
Phoenix
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
I don't read into it more than I can see.
Okay, I get that. So take another look if you can.
It is a good message of serving one-another.
Not exactly. Remember the context. Jesus is King and deserves to be obeyed, and as God incarnate, he deserves to be worshipped. He washes the disciple's feet to represent his humility in the context of his rightful heir to the throne. Jesus didn't intend to generalize his message to everyone. According to verse 13 below, He is focused on himself and his apostles.

Consider this passage.

John 13:13 You call Me Teacher and Lord; and you are right, for so I am. 14 If I then, the Lord and the Teacher, washed your feet, you also ought to wash one another’s feet. 15 For I gave you an example that you also should do as I did to you. 16 Truly, truly, I say to you, a slave is not greater than his master, nor is one who is sent greater than the one who sent him. 17 If you know these things, you are blessed if you do them.

The commercial wants you to think that Jesus intended to teach his disciples a moral lesson, suggesting that righteousness demands that we act like everyone's slave or servant. I don't believe that is true. Bear in mind that Jesus only washed the disciples' feet once, and it was not a regular practice of his. He didn't wash any other feet except for the feet of the twelve. His point was focused on himself and his apostles, not the general public at large. There is a good reason why Jesus, both Lord and King of Israel, humbled himself to act out the role of a servant during the Last Supper.

Jesus speaks of himself when he says, "nor is one who is sent greater than the one who sent him." He is about to allow himself to be crucified on a cross. According to Paul, "Being found in appearance as a man, He humbled Himself by becoming obedient to the point of death, even death on a cross." Philippians 2:8 Jesus served the Father and obeyed him. Therefore, Jesus says, If he, being both Lord and teacher, obeys and serves the Father in all humility, then his apostles should also serve each other in humility.

And if someone hates you, you're act of kindness is as heaping burning coals on their head. Well, unless they are psychopathic, then they will just think you are a sucker.

Nonetheless, Jesus wasn't speaking about pastoral care or treatment of the poor or the downtrodden. He was talking about the attitude of humility of himself and his apostles.

Wrangler

Feb 14, 2021
Shining City on a Hill
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
It's nothing but WOKE virtue signalling. The folks behind the campaign are flaming liberals of the "Jesus was a progressive" camp.

Sorry to all the poor and hungry, homeless veterans .....

We chose to spend $7 million on this ad instead of giving you a piece of bread, a blanket and blessing.
Still, I believe it could lead people to actually read the Bible, to learn about the real Jesus and be saved.

TheOneHeLoves

Nov 15, 2022
Houston
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Still, I believe it could lead people to actually read the Bible, to learn about the real Jesus and be saved.
Yes God can take what was meant for evil and use it for good. but this commercial is teaching a false gospel.

Reactions: Mr E

Mr E

Aug 17, 2022
San Diego
Faith
Christian
Country
United States

I believe it misrepresents Jesus.

Jesus washed the feet of his disciples. His followers. It wasn't a ploy to attract views. It was an act of humility and service and love to those closest to him. He wasn't out in the streets looking for transgenders. It was in the inner room.

In private. Contrast that with the Super Bowl as a venue.

Reactions: TheOneHeLoves

Wrangler

Feb 14, 2021
Shining City on a Hill
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
I believe it misrepresents Jesus.
It's a 30-second commercial; of course it misrepresents Jesus!

No man's entire life and their mission can be fully presented in a 30-second commercial!

Liberals don't like the part about Jesus judging. Conservatives don't like the part about Jesus talking care of the poor in Spirit.

Like the wheat and the tares, some will accept the misrepresentation of Jesus and some will be inspired by that commercial to learn of the real Jesus. Praise God and Amen.

CadyandZoe

May 17, 2020
Phoenix
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Yes God can take what was meant for evil and use it for good. but this commercial is teaching a false gospel.
In my mind I am walking down a trail and I notice some stones and small rocks on the path. I pick up one of the small rocks and I recall Jesus' word, "God can make the stones cry out." :)