Jesus is Dead

• Welcome to Christian Forums, a Christian Forum that recognizes that all Christians are a work in progress.

You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Jim B

Jun 5, 2020
Santa Fe NM
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
The book of John is anonymously written. Nowhere does it declare who should be credited with authorship. It was attributed to the apostle John nearly a century after the events it described would have transpired if they were real.

That depicts a 1st person narrative and nothing else. It doesn't mean the author was an eye witness or that the words pinned by the author were true occurrences or accurate depictions of what transpired.

Your points are taken. This is a fair criticism.

This is what we proclaim to you: what was from the beginning, what we have heard, what we have seen with our eyes, what we have looked at and our hands have touched (concerning the word of life— and the life was revealed, and we have seen and testify and announce to you the eternal life that was with the Father and was revealed to us). What we have seen and heard we announce to you too, so that you may have fellowship with us (and indeed our fellowship is with the Father and with his Son Jesus Christ). Thus we are writing these things so that our joy may be complete." 1 John 1:1-4, NET v2.1

This is a prime example of a direct, hands-on, eyewitness, first person experience. 1) heard, 2) seen, 3) looked at, 4) touched... Your claim that it isn't is baffling (unless you don't believe what the Bible says).

Your second claim that "the words pinned by the author were [not] true occurrences or accurate depictions of what transpired" is beyond belief. In your opinion, what other parts of God's Word (the Bible) are false?

I.O.U

Aug 8, 2021
Brisbane
Faith
Agnostic
Country
Australia
ha well OT i guess, if you read literally, but Yah is also described as “Love” right; so it might be more a matter of—like you say—what one chooses to focus on?
No it's not. Focusing on certain aspects of the Bible and discarding other aspects, is not playing with a full deck. If it's sinful to remarry except for adultery and death, then you can not remarry. Many people left Jesus after he made that clear. So we can't go and discard what Jesus said because our husband or wife has become a drug addict. In that situation we'd have to remain single, until they recover from their addiction.

bbyrd009

Groper
Nov 30, 2016
Ute City, COLO
www.facebook.com
Faith
Christian
Country
United States Minor Outlying Islands
No it's not. Focusing on certain aspects of the Bible and discarding other aspects, is not playing with a full deck.
well i didnt say to discard anything, but maybe to understand when you are reading Conquest Genre, the standard mode of writing then
im kinda on the run today, but this might work,
The Lost World of the Israelite Conquest: Covenant, ...
https://books.google.com › books

John H. Walton, ‎J. Harvey Walton · 2017 · ‎Religion
... message that the conquest account is supposed to convey, it is useful to understand how the genre of conquest account operates and what it is used for...
If it's sinful to remarry except for adultery and death, then you can not remarry.
ha sure you can; believers do it all the time :) fwiw that is likely code also, and reading it too literally might be "hiding wisdom from the wise" see; not that im disagreeing per se, but i would first want to know how it is put in Aramaic--the language it was written in--and i would build my own translation from there, basically cutting out the (surely well-meaning) scribe, lest i fall into the same trap as those who believe they might be going somewhere after they have died, while others go somewhere else, in direct conflict with the Bible
No it's not.
bada-bing
Many people left Jesus after he made that clear. So we can't go and discard what Jesus said because our husband or wife has become a drug addict. In that situation we'd have to remain single, until they recover from their addiction.
id have to marinate on how drug addiction plays into that to give any kind of reply, but i guess addiction would almost surely be a kind of infidelity anyway...or maybe a death of a sort, certainly spiritual at least

Last edited:

I.O.U

Aug 8, 2021
Brisbane
Faith
Agnostic
Country
Australia
Einstein said the definition of insanity is doing the same thing over and over expecting different results. Human love is not to be trusted. Look higher.
Neither can belief be trusted, if we look at it's results.

Stumpmaster

Apr 5, 2009
Hamilton, New Zealand
Faith
Christian
Country
New Zealand
Neither can belief be trusted, if we look at it's results.
Depends on the belief.

May I recommend a book to you. It is called "The Battle For Truth" by David A. Noebel. It's subtitle is "Defending the Christian Worldview in the Market Place of Ideas".

Providing a chart with each chapter this book systematically compares the theology, philosophy, ethics, biology, psychology, sociology, law, politics, economics, and history of 4 worldviews, namely Secular Humanist, Marxist/Leninist, Cosmic Humanist, and Biblical Christianity.

The Biblical Worldview
is:
  1. Theology: Theism
  2. Philosophy: Supernaturalism
  3. Ethics: Absolutes
  4. Biology: Creation
  5. Psychology: Mind/Body
  6. Sociology: Traditional Home, Ekklesia, State.
  7. Law: Biblical & Natural Law
  8. Politics: Justice, Freedom, Order.
  9. Economics: Stewardship of property
  10. History: Historical Resurrection.
I hope you find this helpful. The good news of Christ's sacrifice is that it was acceptable to God the Father in Heaven who raised Him from the dead and has seated Him at His right hand.

Act 2:29-33 Men and brethren, let me freely speak unto you of the patriarch David, that he is both dead and buried, and his sepulchre is with us unto this day. (30) Therefore being a prophet, and knowing that God had sworn with an oath to him, that of the fruit of his loins, according to the flesh, he would raise up Christ to sit on his throne; (31) He seeing this before spake of the resurrection of Christ, that his soul was not left in hell, neither his flesh did see corruption. (32) This Jesus has God raised up, whereof we all are witnesses. (33) Therefore being by the right hand of God exalted, and having received of the Father the promise of the Holy Ghost, he has shed forth this, which you now see and hear.

ReChoired

Nov 26, 2019
Region
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Love is just a byword for those who profess it and never live it. I've had it with human beings who believe they have love, but do nothing to prove it.
You believe that "love" has no actual definition then, or do you think it has an actual definition, and what do you claim as that definition? Do you think it is a nebulous word or a clearly defined word, and if defined, what is that definition you think has not been fulfilled?

ReChoired

Nov 26, 2019
Region
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Also, can you explain the title of the thread, as it seems incongruous to your opening statements, unless you are equating Jesus is love, and in that case, Love is a person in your definition, and because of your belief that Jesus is dead, you then believe that love is dead? Did I understand your position and logic correctly? If so, are you here to discuss it with evidences, or merely assert it without?

Truth OT

Oct 24, 2019
Cypress
Faith
Agnostic
Country
United States
(unless you don't believe what the Bible says).

Your second claim that "the words pinned by the author were [not] true occurrences or accurate depictions of what transpired" is beyond belief. In your opinion, what other parts of God's Word (the Bible) are false?

All of the parts that insert deity, invoke the miraculous, and conflict with history. Other than that it may be fairly true. :)

Abigail

Jan 29, 2022
Brookside
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Love is just a byword for those who profess it and never live it. I've had it with human beings who believe they have love, but do nothing to prove it.
Maybe you should stop hanging with atheists like yourself.
You have to know love in order to recognize it in and from others.

Peace.

Reactions: Angelina

I.O.U

Aug 8, 2021
Brisbane
Faith
Agnostic
Country
Australia
Maybe you should stop hanging with atheists like yourself.
You have to know love in order to recognize it in and from others.

Peace.
I don't have any people in my life that I hang out with who identify as Atheist. So as for your reply (What am I going to do with it?)

I.O.U

Aug 8, 2021
Brisbane
Faith
Agnostic
Country
Australia
You believe that "love" has no actual definition then, or do you think it has an actual definition, and what do you claim as that definition? Do you think it is a nebulous word or a clearly defined word, and if defined, what is that definition you think has not been fulfilled?
I would now as much as the next person when it comes to concepts like love.

ReChoired

Nov 26, 2019
Region
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
I would now as much as the next person when it comes to concepts like love.
Love is selfless. It can be shown to exist in daily life, as well as at Calvary.

If love did not exist, neither would you (I do not refer to your parents joining in flesh).

Without the existence of love (which is selfless) only selfish remains, and selfish always consumes everything and itself. Selfishness never preserves self. Selfishness is the psychological cancer that grows with a host, but ultimately consumes that host thus eliminating host with self.

Love is selfless.

Matthias

May 3, 2022
Kentucky
Faith
Other Faith
Country
United States
I don't have any people in my life that I hang out with who identify as Atheist. So as for your reply (What am I going to do with it?)

I’m a primitive Christian. The primitive Christians were historically accused of being atheists by the Roman and Greek cultures which surrounded them.

Jesus lived. Jesus died. Jesus was made alive again. He is the Messiah promised by his God and mine.