Jesus is the author and finisher of our faith...what does this mean?

• Welcome to Christian Forums, a Christian Forum that recognizes that all Christians are a work in progress.

You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Heart2Soul

Spiritual Warrior
Staff member
May 10, 2018
Tulsa
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
I have been looking into this deeper as I have read it, quoted it and assumed I understood it's meaning. Then I decided maybe it goes deeper than what I understand.
For time's sake I am doing a copy and paste from this link. I agree with what this author has explained...and notice the speaker button for those who would rather listen to it.
What does it mean that Jesus is the author and perfecter of our faith (Hebrews 12:2)? | GotQuestions.org

audio.png
Hebrews 12:2. An author is an originator or creator, as of a theory or plan. The Greek word translated “author” in Hebrews 12:2 can also mean “captain,” “chief leader” or “prince.” Acts 3:15 uses the same word: “And killed the Prince of life, whom God hath raised from the dead; whereof we are witnesses” (KJV), while the NIV and ESV use the word “author” instead of “prince.” From this we can deduce that Christ is the originator of our faith in that He begins it, as well as the captain and prince or our faith. This indicates that Jesus controls our faith, steers it as a captain steers a ship, and presides over it and cares for it as a monarch presides over and cares for his people.

The Greek word translated “perfecter” in Hebrews 12:2 appears only this one time in the New Testament. It means literally “completer” or “finisher” and speaks of bringing something to its conclusion. Putting the two words together, we see that Jesus, as God, both creates and sustains our faith. We know that saving faith is a gift from God, not something we come up with on our own (Ephesians 2:8-9), and that gift comes from Christ, its creator. He is also the sustainer of our faith, meaning that true saving faith cannot be lost, taken away or given away. This is a source of great comfort to believers, especially in times of doubt and spiritual struggles. Christ has created our faith and He will watch over it, care for it, and sustain it.

It is important for us to understand that God in Christ is not only the creator and sustainer of our saving faith, but He is also the sustainer of our daily walk and the finisher of our spiritual journey. For if God in Christ is not the author of our new life, and if Christ is not the finisher and perfecter of our faith through the Holy Spirit’s indwelling power, then we are neither born again nor are we a true follower of Christ. “And I am sure of this, that he who began a good work in you will bring it to completion at the day of Jesus Christ.” “In him you also, when you heard the word of truth, the gospel of your salvation, and believed in him, were sealed with the promised Holy Spirit, who is the guarantee of our inheritance until we acquire possession of it, to the praise of his glory” (Philippians 1:6; Ephesians 1:13-14).

Heart2Soul

Spiritual Warrior
Staff member
May 10, 2018
Tulsa
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Philippians 1:6 has always given me comfort in knowing that He will complete the work He began in me...
I have thanked God continually in my life that He continues to change me...from glory to glory...by His Word and the Holy Spirit.

amadeus

Jan 26, 2008
Oklahoma
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
@Heart2Soul
From faith to knowledge: Will our faith be finished one day?
This verse seems to say so:

"Looking unto Jesus the author and finisher of our faith; who for the joy that was set before him endured the cross, despising the shame, and is set down at the right hand of the throne of God." Heb 12:2

But until it is finished we are to continue in it, that is, in faith:

"Confirming the souls of the disciples, and exhorting them to continue in the faith, and that we must through much tribulation enter into the kingdom of God." Acts 14:22

We may start with just a little faith toward our Lord, but it certainly should be increased. We certainly should have more faith added to our little bit of faith as we continue to live by it:

"For I am not ashamed of the gospel of Christ: for it is the power of God unto salvation to every one that believeth; to the Jew first, and also to the Greek.
For therein is the righteousness of God revealed from faith to faith: as it is written, The just shall live by faith." Rom 1:16-17

And so then more faith comes from...

"So then faith cometh by hearing, and hearing by the word of God.
But I say, Have they not heard? Yes verily, their sound went into all the earth, and their words unto the ends of the world." Rom 10:17-18

But will not our faith eventually become knowledge? The amount of faith in the things of God which is less than knowledge of same should be based how much is unknown or unseen:

"But when that which is perfect is come, then that which is in part shall be done away.
When I was a child, I spake as a child, I understood as a child, I thought as a child: but when I became a man, I put away childish things.
For now we see through a glass, darkly; but then face to face: now I know in part; but then shall I know even as also I am known." I Cor 13:10-12

When we are seeing "face to face" in anything is it then not moved from faith to knowledge?

"That the trial of your faith, being much more precious than of gold that perisheth, though it be tried with fire, might be found unto praise and honour and glory at the appearing of Jesus Christ:
Whom having not seen, ye love; in whom, though now ye see him not, yet believing, ye rejoice with joy unspeakable and full of glory:" I Pet 1:7-8

And is not the end of faith, the perfect knowledge of all that we need ours when we have been finally and completely saved?

"Receiving the end of your faith, even the salvation of your souls." I Pet 1:7-9

What I see is some [many or few?] believers having a mixture of belief and knowledge:

The knowledge is the correct understanding [God's understanding] of some portion of God's plan and/or our part in it. The difficulty is that at this point we are not always able to clearly discern the difference between what we really know and what we only believe (faith). As we grow toward God (if we are growing toward God) the amount of knowledge which has replaced faith will have increased proportionally. The Way to such an increase in knowledge is, of course through faith. We must always take steps in faith (things not seen clearly) to approach God, to eventually (hopefully) see Him face to face.

All of this begins as our vision (without which "the people perish"[Prov 29:18]), which is seen as through a glass darkly, improves (or not) in completeness and clarity. The end of faith!?

Heart2Soul

Spiritual Warrior
Staff member
May 10, 2018
Tulsa
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
@Heart2Soul

"Looking unto Jesus the author and finisher of our faith; who for the joy that was set before him endured the cross, despising the shame, and is set down at the right hand of the throne of God." Heb 12:2

"Confirming the souls of the disciples, and exhorting them to continue in the faith, and that we must through much tribulation enter into the kingdom of God." Acts 14:22

We may start with just a little faith toward our Lord, but it certainly should be increased. We certainly should have more faith added to our little bit of faith as we continue to live by it:

"For I am not ashamed of the gospel of Christ: for it is the power of God unto salvation to every one that believeth; to the Jew first, and also to the Greek.
For therein is the righteousness of God revealed from faith to faith: as it is written, The just shall live by faith." Rom 1:16-17

But I say, Have they not heard? Yes verily, their sound went into all the earth, and their words unto the ends of the world." Rom 10:17-18

But will not our faith eventually become knowledge? The amount of faith in the things of God which is less than knowledge of same should be based how much is unknown or unseen:

"But when that which is perfect is come, then that which is in part shall be done away.
When I was a child, I spake as a child, I understood as a child, I thought as a child: but when I became a man, I put away childish things.
For now we see through a glass, darkly; but then face to face: now I know in part; but then shall I know even as also I am known." I Cor 13:10-12

When we are seeing "face to face" in anything is it then not moved from faith to knowledge?

"That the trial of your faith, being much more precious than of gold that perisheth, though it be tried with fire, might be found unto praise and honour and glory at the appearing of Jesus Christ:
Whom having not seen, ye love; in whom, though now ye see him not, yet believing, ye rejoice with joy unspeakable and full of glory:" I Pet 1:7-8

And is not the end of faith, the perfect knowledge of all that we need ours when we have been finally and completely saved?

"Receiving the end of your faith, even the salvation of your souls." I Pet 1:7-9

What I see is some [many or few?] believers having a mixture of belief and knowledge:

The knowledge is the correct understanding [God's understanding] of some portion of God's plan and/or our part in it. The difficulty is that at this point we are not always able to clearly discern the difference between what we really know and what we only believe (faith). As we grow toward God (if we are growing toward God) the amount of knowledge which has replaced faith will have increased proportionally. The Way to such an increase in knowledge is, of course through faith. We must always take steps in faith (things not seen clearly) to approach God, to eventually (hopefully) see Him face to face.

All of this begins as our vision (without which "the people perish"[Prov 29:18]), which is seen as through a glass darkly, improves (or not) in completeness and clarity. The end of faith!?
Thanks for your input brother...that's how I thought as well....however I have considered this further...through my trials and tribulations in life which workers patience I also found times where I had to have faith in God in areas I had never experienced before....
What He did in the beginning of my walk was poured out His Blessings upon me and rewarded me for the small acts of obedience to His Word and His Commandments....as I matured the blessings didn't come as easily especially during times of testing.
At those times I even slipped backwards in my walk....I had to ask God to increase my faith. To help my unbelief.
But one thing I know for certain....had I stayed in the position as one still on the milk I would never have made it to where I am now and have faith in God to keep me under His wings and keep me striving to finish the race so when Jesus comes then will He remove this corrupted fleshly body and I get a new incorruptible one from Him.

Heart2Soul

Spiritual Warrior
Staff member
May 10, 2018
Tulsa
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
@Heart2Soul

I just wanted to add....AMEN brother! You are blessed with much wisdom and understanding of this!

Reactions: amadeus

101G

Jul 20, 2012
Mobile, Al.
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
can also mean “captain,” “chief leader” or “prince.”
Hi H2S,
you and amadeus hit this on the head, because as stated, going from Romans, and Hebrews back to the OT, from where it came from, Habakkuk 2:4 "Behold, his soul which is lifted up is not upright in him: but the just shall live by his faith."

our souls are not upright in us on our own, so we need a Captian, or Champion to Justifiy us. and this justification is found in HIM Christ, we're complete in him. Colossians 2:10 "And ye are complete in him, which is the head of all principality and power:"Colossians 2:11 "In whom also ye are circumcised with the circumcision made without hands, in putting off the body of the sins of the flesh by the circumcision of Christ:"

PICJAG
101G The "Spiritual Saboteur"

Heart2Soul

Spiritual Warrior
Staff member
May 10, 2018
Tulsa
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Hi H2S,
you and amadeus hit this on the head, because as stated, going from Romans, and Hebrews back to the OT, from where it came from, Habakkuk 2:4 "Behold, his soul which is lifted up is not upright in him: but the just shall live by his faith."

our souls are not upright in us on our own, so we need a Captian, or Champion to Justifiy us. and this justification is found in HIM Christ, we're complete in him. Colossians 2:10 "And ye are complete in him, which is the head of all principality and power:"Colossians 2:11 "In whom also ye are circumcised with the circumcision made without hands, in putting off the body of the sins of the flesh by the circumcision of Christ:"

PICJAG
Amen...and it has taken all these years to finally accept myself as one with the will to do what is right but at times fail to do it....that has led me to rejoice ever more that I have a redeemer who lives in me and who became the righteousness of God for me.
There is so much weight that has been lifted off of my heart and I find it even more joyous to seek His Will with confidence instead of shame and guilt.
You know what I mean....it's hard to ask God for blessings when your walk is a little wobbly at times.:D

amadeus

Jan 26, 2008
Oklahoma
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Thanks for your input brother...that's how I thought as well....however I have considered this further...through my trials and tribulations in life which workers patience I also found times where I had to have faith in God in areas I had never experienced before....
What He did in the beginning of my walk was poured out His Blessings upon me and rewarded me for the small acts of obedience to His Word and His Commandments....as I matured the blessings didn't come as easily especially during times of testing.
At those times I even slipped backwards in my walk....I had to ask God to increase my faith. To help my unbelief.
But one thing I know for certain....had I stayed in the position as one still on the milk I would never have made it to where I am now and have faith in God to keep me under His wings and keep me striving to finish the race so when Jesus comes then will He remove this corrupted fleshly body and I get a new incorruptible one from Him.
Yes, as I have also discovered, we have not yet scratched the surface of God. We are chuggin' along making headway... or so we think and suddenly there is a whole brand new horizon before us.

Reactions: Heart2Soul

Heart2Soul

Spiritual Warrior
Staff member
May 10, 2018
Tulsa
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
I want to study 3 words..because this is where Hebrews 6:6 says fallen away and people equal it to the same as sin.
“if they fall away, to renew them again to repentance, since they crucify again for themselves the Son of God, and put Him to an open shame.”
— Heb 6:6 (NKJV)
APOSTASY and FALLEN AWAY
This article explains in great detail the meaning of Hebrews 6:4-6
Hebrews 6:4-6 ~ Does Not Teach That a Believer Can Lose His Salvation
Here is a small clip from it...
Hebrews 6:4-6
The book of Hebrews is written to Jewish Christians concerning those issues which affected them at that day, as opposed to Gentile believer’s issues.

Among the many issues central to the Hebrews was that of converting from Judaism to Christianity, and the fact that to the Jews Christianity was anathema (“Damned of God”), as a heresy.

We 21st-century Gentiles have no capacity to understand what this meant to the Jew in Jesus’ day.

Now I know this is off topic in a way...but it does fit in with faith.

Reactions: charity and marks

amadeus

Jan 26, 2008
Oklahoma
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
I want to study 3 words..because this is where Hebrews 6:6 says fallen away and people equal it to the same as sin.
“if they fall away, to renew them again to repentance, since they crucify again for themselves the Son of God, and put Him to an open shame.”
— Heb 6:6 (NKJV)
APOSTASY and FALLEN AWAY
This article explains in great detail the meaning of Hebrews 6:4-6
Hebrews 6:4-6 ~ Does Not Teach That a Believer Can Lose His Salvation
Here is a small clip from it...
Hebrews 6:4-6
The book of Hebrews is written to Jewish Christians concerning those issues which affected them at that day, as opposed to Gentile believer’s issues.

Among the many issues central to the Hebrews was that of converting from Judaism to Christianity, and the fact that to the Jews Christianity was anathema (“Damned of God”), as a heresy.

We 21st-century Gentiles have no capacity to understand what this meant to the Jew in Jesus’ day.

Now I know this is off topic in a way...but it does fit in with faith.
Just remember that none of those people to whom the original letters were sent physically are with us today. They have messages from God, I believe, to every one of us at times. God knows and when need be He interprets them for us. Another thing to remember is in a sense none of us believers are now gentiles. Gentiles are heathen. We are not heathen, are we? So what are we?

Do the following words have any application to you and to me?

"... For they are not all Israel [he shall be a prince of God], which are of Israel:" Rom 9:6

"And he said, Thy name shall be called no more Jacob, but Israel: for as a prince hast thou power with God and with men, and hast prevailed." Gen 32:28

"But ye shall receive power, after that the Holy Ghost is come upon you:..." Acts 1:8

Heart2Soul

Spiritual Warrior
Staff member
May 10, 2018
Tulsa
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Just remember that none of those people to whom the original letters were sent physically are with us today. They have messages from God, I believe, to every one of us at times. God knows and when need be He interprets them for us. Another thing to remember is in a sense none of us believers are now gentiles. Gentiles are heathen. We are not heathen, are we? So what are we?

Do the following words have any application to you and to me?

"... For they are not all Israel [he shall be a prince of God], which are of Israel:" Rom 9:6

"And he said, Thy name shall be called no more Jacob, but Israel: for as a prince hast thou power with God and with men, and hast prevailed." Gen 32:28

"But ye shall receive power, after that the Holy Ghost is come upon you:..." Acts 1:8
Yes they do have meaning...but it still has a different context in Hebrews...as in the original Greek it is apostasy.
I struggled with that scripture all my life until I dug deeper...I feared being on of those who had "fallen away"...because of my sins....as the church I grew up in taught.
Remember my testimony about getting saved over and over again and I finally cried out to God and said I give up...this Christianity thing is too hard and I always mess up.?:
That's when He spoke to me for the first time and I finally understood salvation.

101G

Jul 20, 2012
Mobile, Al.
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Amen...and it has taken all these years to finally accept myself as one with the will to do what is right but at times fail to do it....that has led me to rejoice ever more that I have a redeemer who lives in me and who became the righteousness of God for me.
There is so much weight that has been lifted off of my heart and I find it even more joyous to seek His Will with confidence instead of shame and guilt.
You know what I mean....it's hard to ask God for blessings when your walk is a little wobbly at times.:D
GINOLJC, to all.
First thanks for the reply, second, Thank God that we have the NT, or a BETTER COVENANT. he is our righteousness, and as said, we must live in that belief, the JUST MUST LIVE BY FAITH. (THIS IS VERY VERY IMPORTANT), I remember when I use to go to God in Prayer, and ask for forgiveness about something, as 1 John 1:9 commands. and before I could get up off my knees good, the devil will wisper in my ear and say, "you know God didn't hear you, remember what you did last friday". and just as you said, "I would feel guilty, unclean, ashame. but until I really understood 1 John 1:9 and the verses before it, and the verse after it, my Faith in God grew STRONG, it was no more if God heard my prayer, it became I KNOW GOD HEARD MY PRAYER, and cleansed me from all unrighteousness. but one must do it by FAITH. not "FEEL" like God heard you, but in confidence "KNOW" that God did hear you in prayer. and when you get your FAITH to that point, you will notice how much less, and less that the devil wisper in your ear, because FAITH tune him, the devil, out. just as the Holy Ghost said by his apostle Peter, 1 Peter 5:8 "Be sober, be vigilant; because your adversary the devil, as a roaring lion, walketh about, seeking whom he may devour:"

see he cannot devour you when you put that armor of God on. and one will get less attacks from the devil, because he cannot prevail aganist it. as a natural Lion in the wild, he don't attack a healthy animal, but the weak, as in weak in FAITH, but the STRONG, he know he cannot overcome. that's why he seek whom he may devour, he ain't just jumping on everybody, only the weak and the helpless. if one is Spiritually malnutrition, then they are weak and helpless and open for attack. that's why, 1 Peter 5:6 "Humble yourselves therefore under the mighty hand of God, that he may exalt you in due time:"1 Peter 5:7 "Casting all your care upon him; for he careth for you." before you take on the devil, "HUMBLE" yourself under the MIGHTY HAND of GOD. and increase or add to your FAITH under him, and the Lord Jesus will do it

1 Peter 2:2 "As newborn babes, desire the sincere milk of the word, that ye may grow thereby:" and when one grow in FAITH, one become Strong, free, and happy. and others mistake confident for arrogance. but when one is "MADE" free, one is free indeed. and this make one happy saint, because, John 16:24 "Hitherto have ye asked nothing in my name: ask, and ye shall receive, that your joy may be full."

ye have not because ye ask not.

PICJAG

DPMartin

Jan 30, 2014
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
I have been looking into this deeper as I have read it, quoted it and assumed I understood it's meaning. Then I decided maybe it goes deeper than what I understand.
For time's sake I am doing a copy and paste from this link. I agree with what this author has explained...and notice the speaker button for those who would rather listen to it.
What does it mean that Jesus is the author and perfecter of our faith (Hebrews 12:2)? | GotQuestions.org

audio.png
Hebrews 12:2. An author is an originator or creator, as of a theory or plan. The Greek word translated “author” in Hebrews 12:2 can also mean “captain,” “chief leader” or “prince.” Acts 3:15 uses the same word: “And killed the Prince of life, whom God hath raised from the dead; whereof we are witnesses” (KJV), while the NIV and ESV use the word “author” instead of “prince.” From this we can deduce that Christ is the originator of our faith in that He begins it, as well as the captain and prince or our faith. This indicates that Jesus controls our faith, steers it as a captain steers a ship, and presides over it and cares for it as a monarch presides over and cares for his people.

The Greek word translated “perfecter” in Hebrews 12:2 appears only this one time in the New Testament. It means literally “completer” or “finisher” and speaks of bringing something to its conclusion. Putting the two words together, we see that Jesus, as God, both creates and sustains our faith. We know that saving faith is a gift from God, not something we come up with on our own (Ephesians 2:8-9), and that gift comes from Christ, its creator. He is also the sustainer of our faith, meaning that true saving faith cannot be lost, taken away or given away. This is a source of great comfort to believers, especially in times of doubt and spiritual struggles. Christ has created our faith and He will watch over it, care for it, and sustain it.

It is important for us to understand that God in Christ is not only the creator and sustainer of our saving faith, but He is also the sustainer of our daily walk and the finisher of our spiritual journey. For if God in Christ is not the author of our new life, and if Christ is not the finisher and perfecter of our faith through the Holy Spirit’s indwelling power, then we are neither born again nor are we a true follower of Christ. “And I am sure of this, that he who began a good work in you will bring it to completion at the day of Jesus Christ.” “In him you also, when you heard the word of truth, the gospel of your salvation, and believed in him, were sealed with the promised Holy Spirit, who is the guarantee of our inheritance until we acquire possession of it, to the praise of his glory” (Philippians 1:6; Ephesians 1:13-14).

well if you look at it from the Lord's point of view, He made all things, and through His Word was all things made. and the Life you receive is of God through His Word in His Presence. who else but God made that decision to do that. God's expectation is to have man believe and trust His Word that man would do His Judgements in the earth. and faith is basically believe/trust. when Abraham was going to offer his beloved son, he not only believed his God's Word but also trusted his God. I mean how is it that Isaac was going to die being God's chosen for the children of Abraham to receive the promise.

and Jesus is the only one who fulfilled in the son of man (flesh), God's expectations of man faithfully. therefore the creator maker fulfiller doer of what we understand as "the faith"

Last edited:

Heart2Soul

Spiritual Warrior
Staff member
May 10, 2018
Tulsa
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
well if you look at it from the Lord's point of view, He made all things, and through His Word was all things made. and the Life you receive is of God through His Word in His Presence. who else but God made that decision to do that. God's expectation is to have man believe and trust His Word that man would do His Judgements in the earth. and faith is basically believe/trust. when Abraham was going to offer his beloved son, he not only believed his God's Word but also trusted his God. I mean how is it that Isaac was going to die being God's chosen for the children of Abraham to receive the promise.

and Jesus is the only one who fulfilled in the son of man (flesh), God's expectations of man faithfully. therefore the creator maker fulfiller doer of what we understand as "the faith"
As @amadeus always says.."Give God the Glory":D

marks

Oct 10, 2018
SoCal USA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States

audio.png

There seems to be such a natural resistance to this thinking! But it is so competely Biblical! And a source of great joy and peace!

I just looked at those words . . . Jesus leads the way in starting our faith . . . Jesus provides it's consumation.

I've been having a rough couple of days . . . this is a refreshing reminder!

Much love!

marks

Oct 10, 2018
SoCal USA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Amen!!!

farouk

Jan 21, 2009
North America
There seems to be such a natural resistance to this thinking! But it is so competely Biblical! And a source of great joy and peace!

I just looked at those words . . . Jesus leads the way in starting our faith . . . Jesus provides it's consumation.

I've been having a rough couple of days . . . this is a refreshing reminder!

Much love!
@marks I do love that Hebrews passage that @Heart2Soul quoted in her OP. :)

Reactions: Heart2Soul