Jesus prophesied that Sabbath would be kept by Christians until His return

• Welcome to Christian Forums, a Christian Forum that recognizes that all Christians are a work in progress.

You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Status
Not open for further replies.

HIM

Apr 18, 2021
Ashland
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
This is to important for those who profess Christ and such a eye opener not to share repeatedly.

Let's take a look at Matthew. From the KJV Chapter 24 speaks of the tribulation and also the Sabbath. In Matt 24:20-31 Jesus speaks of the Sabbath being kept BY HIS FOLLOWS (US) through the destruction of the Temple in 70AD up to His Second coming.

VERSES 20 THROUGH 31 TALK OF THIS. AND VERSE 20'S WARNING to pray THAT our FLIGHT DUE TO THE PERSECUTION NOT BE IN THE WINTER NOR OR THE SABBATH DAY IS CONNECTED TO THIS.

How do we know?

By His use of the words For, And, Then, For, Behold, Wherefore, For and and in verses 21- 31 where it states the Saints are gathered. All those words are connectives, they connect what is about to be said to what was previously said.

So Are the Apostles around today to experience the tribulation and see the second coming of our Lord?

Have the elect been gathered together?

No, so this warning to pray that our flight not be in the winter nor Sabbath Day IS FOR US ALSO or those who will be blessed to see that glorious day of His return when we the Saints are gathered together to be with the forever more AFTER the tribulation that is said to be like none before.

Matt 24:20 But pray ye that your flight be not in the winter, neither on the sabbath day:
Matt 24:21 For then shall be great tribulation, such as was not since the beginning of the world to this time, no, nor ever shall be.
Matt 24:22 And except those days should be shortened, there should no flesh be saved: but for the elect's sake those days shall be shortened.
Matt 24:23 Then if any man shall say unto you, Lo, here is Christ, or there; believe it not.
Matt 24:24 For there shall arise false Christs, and false prophets, and shall shew great signs and wonders; insomuch that, if it were possible, they shall deceive the very elect.
Matt 24:25 Behold, I have told you before.
Matt 24:26 Wherefore if they shall say unto you, Behold, he is in the desert; go not forth: behold, he is in the secret chambers; believe it not.
Matt 24:27 For as the lightning cometh out of the east, and shineth even unto the west; so shall also the coming of the Son of man be.
Matt 24:28 For wheresoever the carcase is, there will the eagles be gathered together.
Matt 24:29 Immediately after the tribulation of those days shall the sun be darkened, and the moon shall not give her light, and the stars shall fall from heaven, and the powers of the heavens shall be shaken:
Matt 24:30 And then shall appear the sign of the Son of man in heaven: and then shall all the tribes of the earth mourn, and they shall see the Son of man coming in the clouds of heaven with power and great glory.
Matt 24:31 And he shall send his angels with a great sound of a trumpet, and they shall gather together his elect from the four winds, from one end of heaven to the other

We can never learn if we think we are learnt.

Nancy

Apr 30, 2018
Buffalo, Ny
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
This is to important for those who profess Christ and such a eye opener not to share repeatedly.

Let's take a look at Matthew. From the KJV Chapter 24 speaks of the tribulation and also the Sabbath. In Matt 24:20-31 Jesus speaks of the Sabbath being kept BY HIS FOLLOWS (US) through the destruction of the Temple in 70AD up to His Second coming.

VERSES 20 THROUGH 31 TALK OF THIS. AND VERSE 20'S WARNING to pray THAT our FLIGHT DUE TO THE PERSECUTION NOT BE IN THE WINTER NOR OR THE SABBATH DAY IS CONNECTED TO THIS.

How do we know?

By His use of the words For, And, Then, For, Behold, Wherefore, For and and in verses 21- 31 where it states the Saints are gathered. All those words are connectives, they connect what is about to be said to what was previously said.

So Are the Apostles around today to experience the tribulation and see the second coming of our Lord?

No, so this warning to pray that our flight not be in the winter nor Sabbath Day IS FOR US ALSO or those who will be blessed to see that glorious day of His return when we the Saints are gathered together to be with the forever more AFTER the tribulation that is said to be like none before.

Matt 24:20 But pray ye that your flight be not in the winter, neither on the sabbath day:
Matt 24:21 For then shall be great tribulation, such as was not since the beginning of the world to this time, no, nor ever shall be.
Matt 24:22 And except those days should be shortened, there should no flesh be saved: but for the elect's sake those days shall be shortened.
Matt 24:23 Then if any man shall say unto you, Lo, here is Christ, or there; believe it not.
Matt 24:24 For there shall arise false Christs, and false prophets, and shall shew great signs and wonders; insomuch that, if it were possible, they shall deceive the very elect.
Matt 24:26 Wherefore if they shall say unto you, Behold, he is in the desert; go not forth: behold, he is in the secret chambers; believe it not.
Matt 24:27 For as the lightning cometh out of the east, and shineth even unto the west; so shall also the coming of the Son of man be.
Matt 24:28 For wheresoever the carcase is, there will the eagles be gathered together.
Matt 24:29 Immediately after the tribulation of those days shall the sun be darkened, and the moon shall not give her light, and the stars shall fall from heaven, and the powers of the heavens shall be shaken:
Matt 24:30 And then shall appear the sign of the Son of man in heaven: and then shall all the tribes of the earth mourn, and they shall see the Son of man coming in the clouds of heaven with power and great glory.
Matt 24:31 And he shall send his angels with a great sound of a trumpet, and they shall gather together his elect from the four winds, from one end of heaven to the other

Hello HIM, and welcome to CyB,

"Let's take a look at Matthew. From the KJV Chapter 24 speaks of the tribulation and also the Sabbath. In Matt 24:20-31 Jesus speaks of the Sabbath being kept BY HIS FOLLOWS (US) through the destruction of the Temple in 70AD up to His Second coming.

VERSES 20 THROUGH 31 TALK OF THIS. AND VERSE 20'S WARNING to pray THAT our FLIGHT DUE TO THE PERSECUTION NOT BE IN THE WINTER NOR OR THE SABBATH DAY IS CONNECTED TO THIS."

I could be wrong here, but I do believe these verses pertain to the Jews.
Jesus, at the Olivet discourse taught much on the end times mentioned d in Matthew 24-25, Mark 13 and Luke 21.
The Jews rejected Him, until the times of the gentiles come in, the Jews will be without Christ but, will IMHO eventually see the truth of Him. Sorry if this is not well written...just something to look into...? :)

HIM

Apr 18, 2021
Ashland
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Hello HIM, and welcome to CyB,

"Let's take a look at Matthew. From the KJV Chapter 24 speaks of the tribulation and also the Sabbath. In Matt 24:20-31 Jesus speaks of the Sabbath being kept BY HIS FOLLOWS (US) through the destruction of the Temple in 70AD up to His Second coming.

VERSES 20 THROUGH 31 TALK OF THIS. AND VERSE 20'S WARNING to pray THAT our FLIGHT DUE TO THE PERSECUTION NOT BE IN THE WINTER NOR OR THE SABBATH DAY IS CONNECTED TO THIS."

I could be wrong here, but I do believe these verses pertain to the Jews.
Jesus, at the Olivet discourse taught much on the end times mentioned d in Matthew 24-25, Mark 13 and Luke 21.
The Jews rejected Him, until the times of the gentiles come in, the Jews will be without Christ but, will IMHO eventually see the truth of Him. Sorry if this is not well written...just something to look into...? :)
Hi thank you for the welcome and reply Nancy. Your writing skills are fine. I don’t know why you would even think otherwise. However I can be rather cryptic at times and my grammar can be found rather wanting lol.

We try not to hurry in our responses. So with that may I ask a question as I contemplate what you pose, why do you think that the words being spoken in Matthew are only to the Jews? Thanks in advance.

Nancy

Apr 30, 2018
Buffalo, Ny
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Hi thank you for the welcome and reply Nancy. Your writing skills are fine. I don’t know why you would even think otherwise. However I can be rather cryptic at times and my grammar can be found rather wanting lol.

We try not to hurry in our responses. So with that may I ask a question as I contemplate what you pose, why do you think that the words being spoken in Matthew are only to the Jews? Thanks in advance.
I will have to get back to this brother, my sister just called!!

Reactions: The Learner

Nancy

Apr 30, 2018
Buffalo, Ny
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
I will have to get back to this brother, my sister just called!!
Finally off the phone with my very garrulous sister :oops: lol.

Okay, first of all, the discourse was before the cross so, they were still under the law. Grace period had not even started as yet.
The Olivet discourse, in Matthew, comes before the events leading to Matt. 24. The Jewish Nation rejected Him as their messiah. Jesus calls out their hypocrisy in Matt.23:29-36 and else where in Matthew also.

“Truly I say to you, all these things shall come upon this generation” Matt 23:32 What things??

"35 And so upon you will come all the righteous blood shed on earth, from the blood of righteous Abel to the blood of Zechariah son of Berechiah, whom you murdered between the temple and the altar. 36Truly I tell you, all these things will come upon this generation. 37O Jerusalem, Jerusalem, who kills the prophets and stones those sent to her, how often I have longed to gather your children together, as a hen gathers her chicks under her wings, but you were unwilling,"
Matthew 23:35-37

I believe this to be when the Temple was destroyed in 70 AD. verse 38, “Behold, your house is being left to you desolate!”...?

“and they will
fall by the edge of the sword, and will be led captive into all the nations; and Jerusalem will
be trampled under foot by the Gentiles until the times of the Gentiles be fulfilled.”
Luke 21:24

There are others on here who are much more well versed in this area, although may have different dispensational beliefs. I hope they chime in, I do not say that I have this perfectly correct but, it is how I see it.

God bless brother!

Last edited:

Brakelite

Feb 6, 2020
Melbourne
brakelite.wordpress.com
Faith
Christian
Country
Australia
Okay, first of all, the discourse was before the cross so, they were still under the law. Grace period had not even started as yet.
I have seen similar responses often to the Sabbath question. We are saved by grace. The Jews were under the law. Can you please name a Jew who was saved from sin and forgiven because he kept the law? If not, then how do you suppose he, or she, was saved?

Reactions: GerhardEbersoehn

GerhardEbersoehn

Jan 14, 2014
Johannesburg
www.biblestudents.co.za
Faith
Christian
Country
South Africa

How do we know?

Praise God from whom all mercies come
God bless you brother in Christ. This is The, truth - the BIBLE truth!

[[[ We can never learn if we think we are learn---ed. ]]]

Last edited:
Reactions: HIM

HIM

Apr 18, 2021
Ashland
Faith
Christian
Country
United States

The Olivet discourse, in Matthew, comes before the events leading to Matt. 24. The Jewish Nation rejected Him as their messiah. Jesus calls out their hypocrisy in Matt.23:29-36 and else where in Matthew also.

“Truly I say to you, all these things shall come upon this generation” Matt 23:32 What things??

"35 And so upon you will come all the righteous blood shed on earth, from the blood of righteous Abel to the blood of Zechariah son of Berechiah, whom you murdered between the temple and the altar. 36Truly I tell you, all these things will come upon this generation. 37O Jerusalem, Jerusalem, who kills the prophets and stones those sent to her, how often I have longed to gather your children together, as a hen gathers her chicks under her wings, but you were unwilling,"

I believe this to be when the Temple was destroyed in 70 AD. verse 38, “Behold, your house is being left to you desolate!”...?

“and they will
fall by the edge of the sword, and will be led captive into all the nations; and Jerusalem will
be trampled under foot by the Gentiles until the times of the Gentiles be fulfilled.”

There are others on here who are much more well versed in this area, although may have different dispensational beliefs. I hope they chime in, I do not say that I have this perfectly correct but, it is how I see it.

God bless brother!
Hey Nancy thanks for the reply. In Matt 23 Jesus is speaking in the present tense. And upon His crucifixion the veil of the Temple was rent showing God's Glory was not there.

Matt 27:51 And, behold, the veil of the temple was rent in twain from the top to the bottom; and the earth did quake, and the rocks rent;

Matt 23:38 Behold, your house is left unto you desolate.
Matt 23:39 For I say unto you, Ye shall not see me henceforth, till ye shall say, Blessed is he that cometh in the name of the Lord.

The discourse in Matt 24 is for us all up to Jesus' 2nd coming. Three questions were asked in verse 3. The first was when will the Temple and the buildings of the Temple be destroyed. The second was what will be the sign of His coming. And the third was what shall be the sign of the end of the world. The destruction of the Temple is the only thing that happened in the life of those to whom were asking the questions. On that very note alone shows us that the prophecies pertaining to His coming again and the end of the world are for us or those who will be alive then.

Matt 24:3 And as he sat upon the mount of Olives, the disciples came unto him privately, saying, Tell us, when shall these things be? and what shall be the sign of thy coming, and of the end of the world?

As was shown in the opening post everything in chapter 24 is connected through context and grammar. The word but in verse 20 where Jesus tells us to pray that our flight not be in the winter, nor the Sabbath day connect this warning to pray to what was previously stated. As does the word and in verse 22, then in verse 23, for in verse 24, wherefore in verse 26. for in 27 and 28, And and in verses 30 and 31 are all words that connect what is about to be said to what was previous stated. So the tribulation that is prophesied in verse 29, which is prior to sign His second coming, we should pray that when this tribulation comes that our flight from it not be in winter nor or the Sabbath Day. So with that being said. It would be a silly warning if Jesus did not expect those who would be alive at the tribulation prior to His second coming and the gathering of the saints to be keeping the Sabbath. So as with all that we do, let's keep the Sabbath through Him and God's Spirit and cease from all secular work on the Day that God had set apart after He completed Creation and Rested from all His works and was refreshed.

Matt 24:31 And he shall send his angels with a great sound of a trumpet, and they shall gather together his elect from the four winds, from one end of heaven to the other.

Last edited:
Reactions: Brakelite

HIM

Apr 18, 2021
Ashland
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Praise God from whom all mercies come
God bless you brother in Christ. This is The, truth - the BIBLE truth!

[[[ We can never learn if we think we are learn---ed. ]]]
Amen my friend, may we all stand through and in His power and glory through Christ Jesus! He in us, us in Him that the world might believe. Thank you for the blessing and exhortation. May we continue to receive all that He does amen.

Reactions: Nancy

Rockerduck

Nov 7, 2022
Marietta, Georgia.
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
The Sabbath is Friday sundown to Saturday sundown my friend.
Sure it is. But you can still Keep the Sabbath. Then go the church on Sunday. If for some reason you would rather worship just one day.

Romans 14:5-6 - One person esteems one day above another; another esteems every day alike. Let each be fully convinced in his own mind. 6 He who observes the day, observes it to the Lord; and he who does not observe the day, to the Lord he does not observe it. He who eats, eats to the Lord, for he gives God thanks; and he who does not eat, to the Lord he does not eat, and gives God thanks.

Brakelite

Feb 6, 2020
Melbourne
brakelite.wordpress.com
Faith
Christian
Country
Australia

“and they will

God bless brother!
You do realize that dispensationalism is a very recent belief system, and having some very serious issues affecting truths already well established ?

HIM

Apr 18, 2021
Ashland
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Sure it is. But you can still Keep the Sabbath. Then go the church on Sunday. If for some reason you would rather worship just one day.

Romans 14:5-6 - One person esteems one day above another; another esteems every day alike. Let each be fully convinced in his own mind. 6 He who observes the day, observes it to the Lord; and he who does not observe the day, to the Lord he does not observe it. He who eats, eats to the Lord, for he gives God thanks; and he who does not eat, to the Lord he does not eat, and gives God thanks.
Romans 14 is not about what God would have us do through Him. It is about man's opinions, manmade rules and regulations. The first couple verses set this context. Romans 14 is about disputing over opinions not the word of God. Verses 1 and 2 establish this. Because nowhere in the Holy Writ are we instructed to only eat vegetables sets forth. The rest of the chapter falls along this context to not Dispute over opinions. Things the Word of God has not established.

Rom 14:1 Now receive the one who is weak in the faith, and do not have disputes over differing opinions.
Rom 14:2 One person believes in eating everything, but the weak person eats only vegetables.

Last edited:

ScottA

Feb 24, 2011
Faith
Christian
Country
United States

How do we know?

Jesus indeed did prophecy regarding the Sabbath, but not in the way you have assumed.

Jesus was speaking to His disciples, to whom He addressed first with the Sabbath Day warning and regarding His appearing thereafter. Which to His disciples living in that generation meant that He was about to take His rest with the Father, at which time things would change from salvation ending for the elect (Israel) of whom He was "the Last", to salvation thereafter only coming to those who would be born again upon the coming of the Holy Spirit, of whom He was "the First."

Brakelite

Feb 6, 2020
Melbourne
brakelite.wordpress.com
Faith
Christian
Country
Australia
Jesus indeed did prophecy regarding the Sabbath, but not in the way you have assumed.

Jesus was speaking to His disciples, to whom He addressed first with the Sabbath Day warning and regarding His appearing thereafter. Which to His disciples living in that generation meant that He was about to take His rest with the Father, at which time things would change from salvation ending for the elect (Israel) of whom He was "the Last", to salvation thereafter only coming to those who would be born again upon the coming of the Holy Spirit, of whom He was "the First."
Yet the 7th day Sabbath, a day sanctified and made holy by Jesus at creation, remained holy and sanctified. A literal 24 hour period from sunset to sunset that to this day is still the Lord's day. And the commandment to keep it holy has never been rescinded, modified, altered, or abrogated. At least not by God. By man it has been thought to have been done away with using various creative reasoning, but as far as good is concerned, it stands fast forever, and remains an integral part of the standards of righteousness all Christians right to aspire to and hunger for.

ScottA

Feb 24, 2011
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Yet the 7th day Sabbath, a day sanctified and made holy by Jesus at creation, remained holy and sanctified. A literal 24 hour period from sunset to sunset that to this day is still the Lord's day. And the commandment to keep it holy has never been rescinded, modified, altered, or abrogated. At least not by God. By man it has been thought to have been done away with using various creative reasoning, but as far as good is concerned, it stands fast forever, and remains an integral part of the standards of righteousness all Christians right to aspire to and hunger for.
These things do not point to the times of this world, but rather to the things of God, meaning His eternal rest--not a practice. By definition, the Sabbath is not a day to be practiced once fulfilled, but (as you say "it is forever."

Thus, Jesus "did not come to destroy, but to fulfill"...which He, as "Lord of the Sabbath", did by entering into His rest by going to the Father.

Reactions: David in NJ

Brakelite

Feb 6, 2020
Melbourne
brakelite.wordpress.com
Faith
Christian
Country
Australia
These things do not point to the times of this world, but rather to the things of God, meaning His eternal rest--not a practice. By definition, the Sabbath is not a day to be practiced once fulfilled, but (as you say "it is forever."

Thus, Jesus "did not come to destroy, but to fulfill"...which He, as "Lord of the Sabbath", did by entering into His rest by going to the Father.
You discard the Ten Commandments in favor of a spurious interpretation that redefines the meaning of "fulfill" as cast away, remove, forget, deny, ignore, reimagine, reinvent... Anything but obey.

Brakelite

Feb 6, 2020
Melbourne
brakelite.wordpress.com
Faith
Christian
Country
Australia

The book of acts mentions over 50 Sabbath days observed by the early apostles and disciples of Jesus after pentecost. There is not one mention anywhere suggesting the literal observance of a literal 24 hour period as practiced by the people of God throughout human history, had been redefined by God. By man yes. Even by man that purports to be using the Bible as his reference point. But fails to actually quote the specific scripture that teaches the same as he espouses.

ScottA

Feb 24, 2011
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
You discard the Ten Commandments in favor of a spurious interpretation that redefines the meaning of "fulfill" as cast away, remove, forget, deny, ignore, reimagine, reinvent... Anything but obey.
No, but you misunderstand.

Christ is "the End" of days to all who come to know Him...and "the Beginning" of eternal rest. No more "practice."

Reactions: Keturah
Status
Not open for further replies.