Jesus prophesied that Sabbath would be kept by Christians until His return

• Welcome to Christian Forums, a Christian Forum that recognizes that all Christians are a work in progress.

You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Status
Not open for further replies.

mailmandan

Feb 24, 2020
The Midwest
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
This is to important for those who profess Christ and such a eye opener not to share repeatedly.

Let's take a look at Matthew. From the KJV Chapter 24 speaks of the tribulation and also the Sabbath. In Matt 24:20-31 Jesus speaks of the Sabbath being kept BY HIS FOLLOWS (US) through the destruction of the Temple in 70AD up to His Second coming.

VERSES 20 THROUGH 31 TALK OF THIS. AND VERSE 20'S WARNING to pray THAT our FLIGHT DUE TO THE PERSECUTION NOT BE IN THE WINTER NOR OR THE SABBATH DAY IS CONNECTED TO THIS.

How do we know?

By His use of the words For, And, Then, For, Behold, Wherefore, For and and in verses 21- 31 where it states the Saints are gathered. All those words are connectives, they connect what is about to be said to what was previously said.

So Are the Apostles around today to experience the tribulation and see the second coming of our Lord?

Have the elect been gathered together?

No, so this warning to pray that our flight not be in the winter nor Sabbath Day IS FOR US ALSO or those who will be blessed to see that glorious day of His return when we the Saints are gathered together to be with the forever more AFTER the tribulation that is said to be like none before.

Matt 24:20 But pray ye that your flight be not in the winter, neither on the sabbath day:
Matt 24:21 For then shall be great tribulation, such as was not since the beginning of the world to this time, no, nor ever shall be.
Matt 24:22 And except those days should be shortened, there should no flesh be saved: but for the elect's sake those days shall be shortened.
Matt 24:23 Then if any man shall say unto you, Lo, here is Christ, or there; believe it not.
Matt 24:24 For there shall arise false Christs, and false prophets, and shall shew great signs and wonders; insomuch that, if it were possible, they shall deceive the very elect.
Matt 24:25 Behold, I have told you before.
Matt 24:26 Wherefore if they shall say unto you, Behold, he is in the desert; go not forth: behold, he is in the secret chambers; believe it not.
Matt 24:27 For as the lightning cometh out of the east, and shineth even unto the west; so shall also the coming of the Son of man be.
Matt 24:28 For wheresoever the carcase is, there will the eagles be gathered together.
Matt 24:29 Immediately after the tribulation of those days shall the sun be darkened, and the moon shall not give her light, and the stars shall fall from heaven, and the powers of the heavens shall be shaken:
Matt 24:30 And then shall appear the sign of the Son of man in heaven: and then shall all the tribes of the earth mourn, and they shall see the Son of man coming in the clouds of heaven with power and great glory.
Matt 24:31 And he shall send his angels with a great sound of a trumpet, and they shall gather together his elect from the four winds, from one end of heaven to the other

We can never learn if we think we are learnt.
Matthew 24:16 - “then let those who are in Judea flee to the mountains. 17 Let him who is on the housetop not go down to take anything out of his house. 18 And let him who is in the field not go back to get his clothes. 19 But woe to those who are pregnant and to those who are nursing babies in those days! 20 And pray that your flight may not be in winter or on the Sabbath. You left out verse 16 from your OP which sinks your premise. Praying that "your flight not be on the Sabbath or winter" in verse 20 has to do with "let those in Judea flee" in verse 16. Matthew 24:20 applies to those living in Judea.

I find it interesting that Ellen G White took this same Bible passage that had nothing to do with Sabbath observance by Christians and used it in a manner that is inconsistent with the context of the verse as well. Jesus was not imploring Christians to pray that they would not need to escape upon the Sabbath so that they would not break the fourth commandment. The context of the verse is clearly pointing to the physical difficulties of traveling.

Travel for pregnant and nursing women would be very difficult. Winter cold would make travel extremely difficult along with closed city gates, laws against carrying loads, laws against traveling more than a short distance, laws against buying and selling on the Sabbath. (Exodus 16:29; Jeremiah 17:21-22; Nehemiah 13:15-19) The only reasonable explanation of Jesus' reference to the Sabbath here is that He was concerned with the difficulties these Jews would face if they were forced to leave Judea on the Sabbath day.

ScottA

Feb 24, 2011
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
You didn't write any scriptures that I am aware, so I want pitting the above scripture against anything. I was merely pointing out that in the new earth, the Sabbath will be observed.
You gave a scripture that (as I pointed out) is not relevant, as the Sabbath practice was named to precede the coming of the new heaven and earth, as it says it "will come to pass."

ScottA

Feb 24, 2011
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
All opinion and presumption. With a declaration that scripture supports you, but with no tangible evidence. I'm not buying into your philosophy of the Lord of glory having no authority in requiring obedience to God's Commandments, when all of scripture testifies to the contrary. Nor do I buy into your presumption that because I fail to acknowledge your assumptions (and assumptions they are due to a complete lack of a "thus sayeth the Lord" to affirm them) regarding the cessation of Sabbath observance, that I therefore am not a Christian.
My faith is based on scripture. There is nothing in scripture to suggest that observance of the Sabbath was replaced by the rest Christ offers those who believe in Him.
God is not mocked (as you mock me) by your lack of understanding of all that is written and the reality that is not of this world of days, but of the kingdom.

Even so, has nothing ever been declared to the people of God? What did you expect--that the heavens would open before your eyes and God Himself would speak to you? (I tell you--they have and He has.) Have you not learned from His ways, and now do not know even how He brings forth what is true? In which case, I declare to you also--that you now make the same mistakes of those who made them before you, that if you had actually considered the whole word, you too would not have errored as they did.

But I did not say, you are not a Christian, but only held the mirror up for you to see your own confession of having Christ but not fully acknowledging that with Him coming to you, that the kingdom of God and His rest has also come, and yet you deny it by preferring to live as if it were not true. To which Christ has said (--not I), "there will be weeping and gnashing of teeth."

You error, for it is written: "Come to Me, all you who labor and are heavy laden, and I will give you rest." Matthew 11:28

Rockerduck

Nov 7, 2022
Marietta, Georgia.
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Those who are saved by Grace through Faith are not under the Law. The Saving Grace of God is not compatible with the works Law. Grace and Law are incompatible.

ScottA

Feb 24, 2011
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Matthew 24 says what it says. The grammar and context tell us during the tribulation prior to the gathering of the elect to pray that our flight from the tribulation not be in the winter or Sabbath Day. There has been no gathering of the elect by the Angels, no Trumpet , nor sign of the Son of man in Heaven. So these events have not happened.

Matt 24:30 And then shall appear the sign of the Son of man in heaven: and then shall all the tribes of the earth mourn, and they shall see the Son of man coming in the clouds of heaven with power and great glory.
Matt 24:31 And he shall send his angels with a great sound of a trumpet, and they shall gather together his elect from the four winds, from one end of heaven to the other.
In which case--I have good news!

I declare to you and it is my testimony, that during my own tribulation being of the world, He did gather me, caught up in the spirit and returned to declare it, --by angels? God knows. By His spirit? Yes! With a Trump? Yes! With the Son of man in Heaven? Yes indeed, and the Father!

But by this same declaration, let me also remind you that it is written that such does not come according to the times of this world as one mass event, "but each one in his own order."

ScottA

Feb 24, 2011
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Scripture please
  • Genesis 2:2
    And on the seventh day God ended His work which He had done, and He rested on the seventh day from all His work which He had done.
  • Hebrews 4:10
    For he who has entered His rest has himself also ceased from his works as God did from His.
  • Revelation 21:6
    And He said to me, “It is done! I am the Alpha and the Omega, the Beginning and the End. I will give of the fountain of the water of life freely to him who thirsts.
  • John 4:14
    but whoever drinks of the water that I shall give him will never thirst. But the water that I shall give him will become in him a fountain of water springing up into everlasting life.”
  • Matthew 11:28
    Come to Me, all you who labor and are heavy laden, and I will give you rest.
  • Isaiah 60:20
    Your sun shall no longer go down, Nor shall your moon withdraw itself; For the Lord will be your everlasting light, And the days of your mourning shall be ended.

ScottA

Feb 24, 2011
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
No
There has been no gathering of the elect by the Angels, no Trumpet , nor sign of the Son of man coming in the clouds with power and great glory as the lightening cometh out of the east and shineth unto the west, so these events have not happened.

Matt 24:27 For as the lightning cometh out of the east, and shineth even unto the west; so shall also the coming of the Son of man be.

Matt 24:31 And he shall send his angels with a great sound of a trumpet, and they shall gather together his elect from the four winds, from one end of heaven to the other.
Speak for yourself--for that is not at all my testimony.

mailmandan

Feb 24, 2020
The Midwest
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Those who are saved by Grace through Faith are not under the Law. The Saving Grace of God is not compatible with the works Law. Grace and Law are incompatible.
Romans 11:6 - And if by grace, then it is no longer of works; otherwise grace is no longer grace. But if it is of works, it is no longer grace; otherwise work is no longer work.

Brakelite

Feb 6, 2020
Melbourne
brakelite.wordpress.com
Faith
Christian
Country
Australia
God is not mocked (as you mock me) by your lack of understanding of all that is written and the reality that is not of this world of days, but of the kingdom.

Even so, has nothing ever been declared to the people of God? What did you expect--that the heavens would open before your eyes and God Himself would speak to you? (I tell you--they have and He has.) Have you not learned from His ways, and now do not know even how He brings forth what is true? In which case, I declare to you also--that you now make the same mistakes of those who made them before you, that if you had actually considered the whole word, you too would not have errored as they did.

But I did not say, you are not a Christian, but only held the mirror up for you to see your own confession of having Christ but not fully acknowledging that with Him coming to you, that the kingdom of God and His rest has also come, and yet you deny it by preferring to live as if it were not true. To which Christ has said (--not I), "there will be weeping and gnashing of teeth."

You error, for it is written: "Come to Me, all you who labor and are heavy laden, and I will give you rest." Matthew 11:28
I fully acknowledged that, as you are well aware. What I do not acknowledge is your opinion that the rest you speak of actually replaces obedience to God's commandments. That my friend you cannot show from scripture. I do not deny the test. I experience it every day. And I demonstrate the faith I have in Christ's rest and in His word, by obeying it. It is strange that you would use the observation of the Sabbath as evidence that others haven't a rest in Christ, when it in reality reveals the exact opposite.

KJV Ezekiel 20:12
12 Moreover also I gave them my sabbaths, to be a sign between me and them, that they might know that I am the LORD that sanctify them.

Has God changed? Has Jesus changed? Is that gospel given to the Jews different to that given to the gentiles? Are the conditions of salvation different in the NT than they were in the OT?

Reactions: bbyrd009

Nancy

Apr 30, 2018
Buffalo, Ny
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
You do realize that dispensationalism is a very recent belief system, and having some very serious issues affecting truths already well established ?
Hence my comment hoping others would chime in...
"There are others on here who are much more well versed in this area, although may have different dispensational beliefs. "
And they have :)

Brakelite

Feb 6, 2020
Melbourne
brakelite.wordpress.com
Faith
Christian
Country
Australia
You gave a scripture that (as I pointed out) is not relevant, as the Sabbath practice was named to precede the coming of the new heaven and earth, as it says it "will come to pass."
And you claim I misunderstand! It takes some very fancy mental footwork to believe And it shall come to pass, that from one new moon to another, and from one sabbath to another, shall all flesh come to worship before me, saith the LORD.‭...
actually means,

And it shall cease to be, that from one new moon to another, and from one sabbath to another, shall all flesh come to worship before me, saith the LORD.‭

You are deceived.

Reactions: HIM

Cassandra

Sep 24, 2021
Midwest
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
I am saved. Jesus saved me from the condemnation of the Law (that is how we know sin). but once we beome a new creature we begin changing. If you look at the Commandments, you would not wish to break any of them, because it would sadden the Lord. Having a god before God, making and worshiping graven images, taking the Lord's name in vain, showing disrespect to parents, committing adultery, stealing , killing, bearing false witness, or coveting are all sins--aren't they? You would do none of these.

The reason why folk say they are done away with is because of the Sabbath commandment. So effectively, Jesus did not get rid of the Law--He took the punishment for breaking it off of those who are willing to come to Him. The law that is gone is the animal sacrifices and ceremonial offerings which pointed to Christ.

Reactions: HIM and Brakelite

Brakelite

Feb 6, 2020
Melbourne
brakelite.wordpress.com
Faith
Christian
Country
Australia
I would take it even further. Dispensationalism is a doctrine of devils.
Hence my comment hoping others would chime in...
"There are others on here who are much more well versed in this area, although may have different dispensational beliefs. "
And they have :)
Just to clarify why I would make such a bold statement, for I am fully aware that claiming a doctrine held by a vast majority of American Christianity found it's genesis in the mind of devils will offend some, if not many.
Dispensationalism, the particulars of which are contrary to many otherwise well established Christian truths, was devised for one purpose. Similar to preterism and futurism, (and all dispensationalists as far as I am aware, are futurists) , dispensationalism effectively hides the true Antichrist from Christian observance. Unless they are willing to study their Bible without a predisposition to the teachings of Jesuits.

Reactions: Nancy
Status
Not open for further replies.