Jesus said "Father, that they may be one, as We are" - is Jesus saying 'I am a paradox just as My Father is, which you can be part of'? (suggestions?)

• Welcome to Christian Forums, a Christian Forum that recognizes that all Christians are a work in progress.

You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Gottservant

Oct 19, 2022
Greensborough
Faith
Christian
Country
Australia
Hi there,

So I have really been perplexed by what Jesus was saying in John 17, when He prays for the faith, saying "Father protect them through your Name, those that you have given Me, that they may be one, as We are". I guess the question I am asking is "that they may be one what?, as We are what?" The answer to that, seems to be "paradox". Jesus is saying "that we may be the one paradox, just as You and I are a paradox" Can you see the logic behind that? In a way it is comforting that it is not longer figurative, but in another sense, it makes the relationship more mysterious.

Where is the paradox going? What is happening to it? When will the paradox come to an end, if it ever does? Actually I don't think it ever will. A paradox has power, either to confuse or to make sense - it is a choice, don't you think? I'm not sure what giving up my life for a paradox is, but I guess that it is even more paradoxical. You would never try to make a non-believer understand that they have a chance at becoming part of a paradox, but as believers we sort of have that open space, where theology can make sense to us, depending on how trustworthy it is. To me, it makes complete sense, but I still find myself wary of what the implications are.

Like if the paradox meets itself, does it self-eliminate? Is that what talking with God is: helping the paradox re-encounter itself? Does a strong paradox frighten the Devil? Is that resisting the Devil saying, "I would rather not be 'self-willed' but other willed, as a paradox can mysteriously be". Do we get to Heaven and discover "this, this is the power of a true paradox, you have no doubt, no fear, but can see your relationship to God, through all the angles you want or can find"? I feel like if it was any ordinary paradox, it would not grasp my imagination; but this, this this paradox is the universal paradox, the one that desired to encounter itself, in perfect innocence, and so created all that we see, that the paradox give itself a name and share its meaning with us.

Don't hate me because I suggest that God is hard to understand. I am using mortal logic, to encounter the Sublime - I have no other intention than to know more what manner of relationship I am entering in to. If Christ humbles Himself to become a Man, does God humble Himself, to become a Man's concept? Can the Devine Exchange take place, where Man swaps his approach to life with a sublime relationship to that which is eternally beyond his comprehension? That Man becomes open to the possibility that his pride is eternally fixed to the Cross of Deidentification, that he is simply forever aware that the Paradox has been a timely Salvation of all that should in the best way, remain a Mystery. This is knowledge at its best isn't it? Does not the essence of knowledge cry out, for an end to the meaningless aspirations of Man?

I am really interested to hear your thoughts, but also whether you think this is something the Holy Spirit can elaborate on, or whether it is sophistry that belches forth from a dying understanding of the ephemeral in life? Don't hurt the paradox, but speak!

God bless.