Job 17

• Welcome to Christian Forums, a Christian Forum that recognizes that all Christians are a work in progress.

You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

stunnedbygrace

Aug 18, 2018
USA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Yeah, well his friends didnt even console with their lips! They were silent and grieved with him for a few days and then they couldn't take the horror of what had befallen him any more. They couldn't bear the fear that if God allowed all that to befall Job, maybe it could befall them too. So to alleviate the fear, they had to blame him as being in control of what befell him. That way, they could keep believing they also could control what befell them. They weren't trying to console him at all, actually. They were trying to console themselves.

APAK

Feb 4, 2018
Florida
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Yeah, well his friends didnt even console with their lips! They were silent and grieved with him for a few days and then they couldn't take the horror of what had befallen him any more. They couldn't bear the fear that if God allowed all that to befall Job, maybe it could befall them too. So to alleviate the fear, they had to blame him as being in control of what befell him. That way, they could keep believing they also could control what befell them. They weren't trying to console him at all, actually. They were trying to console themselves.
Could be true...there are folks like that who I call fearful and weak in faith....at least..

stunnedbygrace

Aug 18, 2018
USA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Arent we all fearful and weak in faith when His hand is so heavy on us? We WANT to accept His will but we have such a hard time (while in it) trying to grasp that it really IS His will. Yet if we really do believe our Lord has been given all authority on earth, as He said, we have to believe that if it is befalling us, it IS His will...

stunnedbygrace

Aug 18, 2018
USA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
I mean, His will is that we suffer. Our will is that we dont suffer and are comfortable. So we try to reconcile these two things, His will and ours. But they cant be reconciled. There is no way to have His will AND our own will...

Reactions: Episkopos

APAK

Feb 4, 2018
Florida
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Arent we all fearful and weak in faith when His hand is so heavy on us? We WANT to accept His will but we have such a hard time (while in it) trying to grasp that it really IS His will. Yet if we really do believe our Lord has been given all authority on earth, as He said, we have to believe that if it is befalling us, it IS His will...

Yes easier said than done...although I have been in a few trials in my life although I have not lost my wife or children as one of them. I was personally tested in my marriage many years ago. Even today I see can remember and even distantly 'feel' how my life was turned upside down and then twisted over again..like into a pretzel. It was one trial with a demonic presence and I cannot explain it any other way. But throughout it all and during it, I felt my faith was strong BETWEEN the times I came up for a breath and considered my still turbulent predicament. I did feel weak and helpless although not in faith..I became very humbled over time, more and more, if that is a sign of weakness....and then God came back to console me when he knew I was ready......this event(s) will stay will me always as a reminder that the love and peace of God has no equal....he gave me rest...Amen

Reactions: amadeus and Nancy

Renniks

Feb 3, 2020
Pennsylvania
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Why these 4 different words here?
Job 17:8-9:
The virtuous are horrified when they see me.
The innocent rise up against the ungodly.
The righteous keep moving forward,
And those with clean hands become stronger and stronger.
The irony is that they were all wrong about what was happening, especially Job.
Because I can say by my own experience, when God allowed all worldly comforts to cease from Jobs life, it did not feel like any kind of blessing. It felt like God was beating the crap out of him and hated him. And it is a great struggle to say, your will be done, when God seems very cruel and unceasing. And then to have his friends blame him as they did, on top of Gods hand being so heavy, that might be even the cruelest thing.

Only it was really Satan that was beating the crap out of Job. You have to remember that Job doesn't get to see behind the curtain, only the reader does.

Reactions: APAK

stunnedbygrace

Aug 18, 2018
USA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
The irony is that they were all wrong about what was happening, especially Job.

Only it was really Satan that was beating the crap out of Job. You have to remember that Job doesn't get to see behind the curtain, only the reader does.

Okay, so Job couldn't see behind the curtain. Yet it says: Job said, God has given and God has taken away and so he did not sin by blaming God. So really, he had just said it was God who had taken away from him, yet it then said he did not blame God.

So he saw it as from Gods hand and he at first accepted it as Gods will, I think. But then impatience with pain and sorrow made him begin to...be kind of angry with God

If you have a child and you give someone permission to pummel the stuffing out of your child, would you then say to your child, it wasn't me, I had nothing to do with it. It was that guy that I gave permission to who did it, not me.

Reactions: Nancy

Renniks

Feb 3, 2020
Pennsylvania
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Okay, so Job couldn't see behind the curtain. Yet it says: Job said, God has given and God has taken away and so he did not sin by blaming God. So really, he had just said it was God who had taken away from him, yet it then said he did not blame God.

So he saw it as from Gods hand and he at first accepted it as Gods will, I think. But then impatience with pain and sorrow made him begin to...be kind of angry with God

If you have a child and you give someone permission to pummel the stuffing out of your child, would you then say to your child, it wasn't me, I had nothing to do with it. It was that guy that I gave permission to who did it, not me.
Job was ticked at God and I can't blame him for that.
But he was wrong to say God took away from him, when God was the one that gave it and Satan took it away.
It's a mistake we all probably make at some point. All good comes down from the Father.
The impression I get from the story is that God had given Job a special protection because of Job's obedient heart. And even when he took away this protection, he still kept Satan from doing his worst. I think it shows that God rewarded Job, but we aren't guaranteed any reward in this life just for being faithful. Neither are we guaranteed punishment in this life for doing wrong. The point I got from it, is that we only see through a very dark glass...we understand little.

Nancy

Staff member
Apr 30, 2018
Buffalo, Ny
Faith
Christian
Country
United States

"Yet it says: Job said, God has given and God has taken away and so he did not sin by blaming God."

Maybe not by blaming God but, he did sin by claiming to be without sin.

Elihu condemns both Job and his friends both. Then he states God’s justice, and then chastens Job's attitude towards God Himself!.

Reactions: Giuliano

Enoch111

May 27, 2018
Alberta
Faith
Christian
Country
Canada
Here is what is written in the King James Bible:

Upright men shall be astonied [astonished] at this, and the innocent shall stir up himself against the hypocrite. The righteous also shall hold on his way, and he that hath clean hands shall be stronger and stronger.

The words are different because they are speaking about different things. These are the words of Job, who has discovered that his so-called friends have judged him guilty of wrongdoing (because of his catastrophic losses), even though he is a righteous man.

So Job says that upright men will be astonished at his plight, and the innocent ones will stand up against the hypocrites. The righteous will remain righteous, and those who have clean hands will remain stronger and stronger.

charity

Nov 26, 2017
UK
Faith
Christian
Country
United Kingdom
'He hath made me also a byword of the people;
and aforetime I was as a tabret (
ie., a drum to which people gave heed).
Mine eye also is dim by reason of sorrow,
and all my members are as a shadow.
Upright men shall be astonied at this,
and the innocent shall stir up himself against the hypocrite.
The righteous also shall hold on his way,
and he that hath clean hands shall be stronger and stronger.
But as for you all, do ye return, and come now:
for I cannot find one wise man among you.'

(Job 17:6-10)

Interesting thread, @stunnedbygrace,

I see that these are Job's words, spoken in reply to his friend Eliphaz: who shows the inadequacy of human experience in regard to righteousness; as Bildad of human tradition, and Zophar of human merit. Elihu points to God as the giver of a Divine righteousness for helpless guilty sinners.

Job knows that He is in God's hands, and that what he is experiencing is God's doing (Job 16:11-14), He knows that God has prevented his friends from understanding (Job 17:4). For God has an object in view regarding Job, a glorious object, as seen in Job 40:4-5 & Job 42:5-6, which is the confession of human impotence in attaining righteousness, and thankfully casting himself on Divine omnipotence for salvation. All is to this 'end'.

Praise God!

In Job 17:8-9, Job tells of the various reactions there have been to his plight. The 'upright' were astonished, the 'innocent' stirred up by such seeming unjust treatment. However the righteous shall hold to his way, and the one with clean hands (the innocent) will go from strength to strength. They will not be adversely affected.

With love in Christ Jesus
Chris

Last edited:

charity

Nov 26, 2017
UK
Faith
Christian
Country
United Kingdom
@stunnedbygrace,

*God's' purpose for Job accomplished:-

'Then Job answered the LORD, and said,
Behold, I am vile; what shall I answer thee?
I will lay mine hand upon my mouth.
Once have I spoken; but I will not answer:
yea, twice; but I will proceed no further.'

(Job 40:3-5)

'I have heard of Thee by the hearing of the ear:
but now mine eye seeth Thee.
Wherefore I abhor myself,
and repent in dust and ashes.'

(Job 42:5-6)

* I have been in this place by the grace of God: and have echoed the words of Job here. For which I am eternally grateful.

Praise God! (for He is Holy)

In Christ Jesus
Chris

Stranger

Oct 5, 2016
Texas
Faith
Christian
Country
United States

I think CharismaticLady was correct in post #(4) about seeing Job as cursed.

These are the people who view Job as being judged by God for some sin. The virtuous, innocent, and righteous with clean hands.

And, I am convinced that if God had not brought Job through this trial, that Job would have been one of those virtuous and innocent who did the same. Had not God brought Job through the trial, he would have been just like his three friends who gave bad advice.

I'm sure that after the trial Job would never jump to the conclusion that God was judging someone just because Job saw bad things happening in his life.

Stranger

charity

Nov 26, 2017
UK
Faith
Christian
Country
United Kingdom
Because I can say by my own experience, when God allowed all worldly comforts to cease from Jobs life, it did not feel like any kind of blessing. It felt like God was beating the crap out of him and hated him. And it is a great struggle to say, your will be done, when God seems very cruel and unceasing. And then to have his friends blame him as they did, on top of Gods hand being so heavy, that might be even the cruelest thing.

Hi @stunnedbygrace,

'Now no chastening for the present seemeth to be joyous, but grievous:
nevertheless afterward it yieldeth the peaceable fruit of righteousness
unto them which are exercised thereby.'

(Hebrews 12:11)

Praise God!

In Christ Jesus
Chris

Prayer Warrior

Sep 20, 2018
U.S.A.
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
I'm stuck in the book of Job for some reason. Earlier I was reading how Job was saying they were frightened when they looked at him, and he said, (paraphrasing here) why are you afraid when you see me? Have I ever asked you for anything? Kind of like...have I been a burden to you in any way? And it seemed to me like Job was saying they were trying to blame him for what was happening to him when he hadn't done anything wrong. But if they didnt blame him, it would be too scary to them and would mean they'd have to admit they weren't the ones in control of their lives and their fortunes. So they almost had to blame him. Because they couldn't stomach the thought of God letting these things befall Job unless he had done something wrong.

But Job said it was Gods hand. But it says he didnt sin with his mouth by saying this. It says he didnt blame God. But he definitely saw it was God doing it. I guess you could say, no, it was satan doing it, but God permitted it, and I think Job saw that so it was God to him, not satan...

This is a very good observation. It's our tendency to judge others who are suffering, thinking that they must deserve it in some way. We like to believe that if we do everything "right," we won't ever suffer.... But this idea is not supported by the scriptures. Jesus said that in this world, we would have trouble (John 16:33). We're told in Heb 5:8, "Although He [Jesus] was a Son, He learned obedience from the things which He suffered." If our perfect Lord learned obedience in this way, how much more will we?

I've learned that there are two ways to suffer--either within God's will or outside of His will, meaning because we are obeying Him or because we are disobeying Him. When we suffer because of obedience to Him (within His will), He always gives us strength and supplies the grace so that we can make it through the trial with our faith intact. When we suffer because of disobedience, it can be unbearable.

Either way, suffering can feel devastating, but I have seen that God accomplishes a work in us through the suffering He lovingly allows in our lives, and this work could not be accomplished any other way. It's part of the sanctification process. He uses our suffering to mold us like a Master Potter molds the clay as He forms us into a usable vessel for His service.

We're told to rejoice with those who rejoice and weep with those who weep (Rom 12:15). If you're suffering right now, my heart goes out to you. I pray that you will feel His strength and grace surrounding you and filling you! You will not suffer forever, and He will get you through this trial! This too shall pass, and one day, we will be in a place where there is no suffering.

Revelation 21:1-4--Then I saw a new heaven and a new earth; for the first heaven and the first earth passed away, and there is no longer any sea. And I saw the holy city, new Jerusalem, coming down out of heaven from God, made ready as a bride adorned for her husband. And I heard a loud voice from the throne, saying, “Behold, the tabernacle of God is among men, and He will dwell among them, and they shall be His people, and God Himself will be among them, and He will wipe away every tear from their eyes; and there will no longer be any death; there will no longer be any mourning, or crying, or pain; the first things have passed away.”

stunnedbygrace

Aug 18, 2018
USA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
10 In his kindness God called you to share in his eternal glory by means of Christ Jesus. So after you have suffered a little while, he will restore, support, and strengthen you, and he will place you on a firm foundation. 11 All power to him forever! Amen.

DNB

Dec 8, 2019
Toronto
Faith
Christian
Country
Canada
Hi SBG. An important factor that has not not been included in any of the translations provided so far, is the opposing clause that is found in many reliable versions. Either the words 'nevertheless' or 'yet', automatically distinguish that Job is now representing a different, or more specific, type of person, other than all those that are defined in the preceding verse. That is, although the first assertion explains that many 'righteous' will become appalled and cynical at seeing his demise, this perceived stumbling block will not affect the sincerely devout and truly faithful.

I imagine that the use of different adjectives, is one, a literary convention to avoid repetition (small point). But also, to define a group requires more than one expression. I think by varying his words, he offers a greater definition to whom he's referring to?

New International Version
Nevertheless, the righteous will hold to their ways, and those with clean hands will grow stronger.

English Standard Version
Yet the righteous holds to his way, and he who has clean hands grows stronger and stronger.

Berean Study Bible
Yet a righteous one holds to his way, and the one with clean hands grows stronger.

New American Standard Bible
"Nevertheless the righteous will hold to his way, And he who has clean hands will grow stronger and stronger.

New King James Version
Yet the righteous will hold to his way, And he who has clean hands will be stronger and stronger.

Christian Standard Bible
Yet the righteous person will hold to his way, and the one whose hands are clean will grow stronger.

Holman Christian Standard Bible
Yet the righteous person will hold to his way, and the one whose hands are clean will grow stronger.

Last edited:

Waiting on him

Dec 21, 2018
North America
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
I never studied the speeches of the three friends carefully; but I believe each of them represents a mistaken school of thought. (Maimonides said so.) Thus they begin with biases that they used to justify themselves or that made them comfortable believing.

They have no evidence of wrong doing on the part of Job but seem bent on saying he must have sinned. They are not dealing with Job, life or reality. They are bending things to justify the beliefs which make them feel safe or happy. I think they did care about Job but they cared about their religious ideas more. That seems relevant to us today when we can observe how callous Christians can be.

Going back to the beginning of the book, we find Job has a similar problem more or less. He has no evidence that his children have sinned but still imagines maybe they did. He is imagining evil when none exists. Is it not just and fair then in a way when his friends do the same thing to him?

He has fears based on nothing. He has inner doubts about God's goodness although he doesn't express them verbally. This doubting of God's Perfect Goodness is a satanic thought, another accusation based on nothing. God protected Job for a long time against his inner doubts and thoughts by putting a hedge around him. It was Job who gave Satan a foothold with such impure thoughts; but God protected him knowing Job wasn't ready to face his inner doubts and fears. (God does not permit us to be tested unless He knows we can pass it.)

When Job was strong enough to pass the test, the time came to set his mind at ease. The test was not to prove anything to God. Rather it was for Job to prove something to himself. So I see it.
Why does no one ever speak of the fourth friend?

FollowHim

Aug 22, 2019
London
Faith
Christian
Country
United Kingdom

The passage of Job 17:1-9
This could be talking about Jesus.
He was falsely accused, mocked, scorned, torn to ribbons.
He was in such a bad state as an innocent man, "Upright me are appalled at this", which they were.
Innocent - which Jesus was - was woken up against the ungodly, in the judgement to come.
The righteous, those who know the way of the Lord, will keep the ways of God,
those not guilty, with clean hands, will grow in strength and power, which they did in the Kingdom of God.

So the passage is dealing with different aspects of Gods people, of Jesus, of what will come to pass.
At least this is my immediate impression of these verses.