John 3 Jesus discussion with Nicodemus

• Welcome to Christian Forums, a Christian Forum that recognizes that all Christians are a work in progress.

You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Eternally Grateful

Feb 27, 2020
Columbus, ohio
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
To me it's the transaction between us and God to be admitted to the 'higher walk' or whatever which is in the words of scripture consenting to crucified with Christ or losing our lives totally so that we do whatsoever Christ requires of us, which is not required for entry into the first stage where we repent when we first come to Christ.
ok, another question

if our spirit is dead.. what form of "higher walk" does it take for that spirit to be made alive?

Ritajanice

Staff member
Encounter Team
Mar 9, 2023
United Kingdom
Faith
Christian
Country
United Kingdom
@Ritajanice

I count the ante nicene fathers as having much more credibility regarding Bible interpretation. As has already been pointed out in this discussion, there have been things lost in translation to the west and just look at he mess it is in with 40K denominations.
Yes, we are in a mess, regarding denominations...
They do not agree with you on gradual sanctification. If you push me lol I will find some quotes.
Who doesn’t agree on gradual sanctification?

Eternally Grateful

Feb 27, 2020
Columbus, ohio
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
No it was clear that Jesus was saying the flesh and spirit cannot be combined. I mean coming to Christ first Spiritual birth then baptism in the Spirit second Spiritual birth
so you think these are two events?

I see where you are coming from now thank you

Can you explain from scripture what baptism of the spirit is please

Hepzibah

Aug 13, 2012
Faith
Christian
Country
United Kingdom
what transaction is this?
To me it's the transaction between us and God to be admitted to the 'higher walk' or whatever which is in the words of scripture consenting to crucified with Christ or losing our lives totally so that we do whatsoever Christ requires of us, which is not required for entry into the first stage where we repent when we first come to Christ.

Reactions: Azim

Hepzibah

Aug 13, 2012
Faith
Christian
Country
United Kingdom
Yes, we are in a mess, regarding denominations...

Who doesn’t agree on gradual sanctification?
The early ante nicene father taught what I wrote earlier (2 x ) about the three stages.

Eternally Grateful

Feb 27, 2020
Columbus, ohio
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
I agree that we receive the Holy Spirit at the first encounter with Christ but we are not baptized or saturated. He cannot dwell within us if we still sin though he is with us.
That is what the blood is for. atonement.

It is what allows God to be in us, even though we are still not perfect.

If we had to be perfect for God to come in, He would never come in..

Reactions: rwb

Eternally Grateful

Feb 27, 2020
Columbus, ohio
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
I’m slow on the uptake, what do you mean...or are you funning me?....as in hahaha.....I think you are miles ahead of me, especially regarding scripture.

I swear I’m still on milk, what does meat of the word mean?
I was funning you. I have not got to that part of the passage in this thread yet.. it is next

• Haha
Reactions: Ritajanice

Ritajanice

Staff member
Encounter Team
Mar 9, 2023
United Kingdom
Faith
Christian
Country
United Kingdom
Came to Christ at age 23 after atheism, received the Holy Spirit aged 40.
I was 39...it blew my mind, when God birthed me in the Spirit...I felt more important than the Queen....I was sat on my throne ( chair) for months and months, ...thanking God for saving me and filling me with his Love and of course his precious Holy Spirit.

I went through a stage of thinking he would leave me, filled me with dread it did......that was a lie from the enemy, how he bombarded my head with lies as a new babe.....hard time that was and then there is all the readjusting we have to cope with.

Taken out of the world....into God’s Kingdom....what a journey it has been.

Hepzibah

Aug 13, 2012
Faith
Christian
Country
United Kingdom
That is what the blood is for. atonement.

It is what allows God to be in us, even though we are still not perfect.

If we had to be perfect for God to come in, He would never come in..
Agreed. The shed blood made the way open for us if we lose our lives.

Eternally Grateful

Feb 27, 2020
Columbus, ohio
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
@Ritajanice

I count the ante nicene fathers as having much more credibility regarding Bible interpretation. As has already been pointed out in this discussion, there have been things lost in translation to the west and just look at he mess it is in with 40K denominations.

They do not agree with you on gradual sanctification. If you push me lol I will find some quotes.
I do not look at 40,000 denominations.

I look at three gospels. and after these many churches or denominations that do things different, or differ in other doctrines. but are the same as other churches when it comes to the gospel.

so when I see it. there are three basic gospel truths, all taught by many different denominations.

its easier to break down the gospel. then it is to determin all the other doctrines that differentiate, or the way they do things

Reactions: rwb and Ritajanice

Eternally Grateful

Feb 27, 2020
Columbus, ohio
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Came to Christ at age 23 after atheism, received the Holy Spirit aged 40.
why did it take you 17 years to receive the spirit?

eph 1 says you receive the spirit the moment you receive Christ?

13 In Him you also trusted, after you heard the word of truth, the gospel of your salvation; in whom also, having believed, you were sealed with the Holy Spirit of promise,

• Love
Reactions: GTW27 and rwb

Eternally Grateful

Feb 27, 2020
Columbus, ohio
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
so what is required of us to be born again into this realm?

did Not Jesus tell us in John 3?

Eternally Grateful

Feb 27, 2020
Columbus, ohio
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
The baptism of the Spirit as in Pentecost
That was the anointing of the spirit. not the baptism of the spirit

When the HS comes in you, he is anointing you

1 John 2:27
But the anointing which you have received from Him abides in you, and you do not need that anyone teach you; but as the same anointing teaches you concerning all things, and is true, and is not a lie, and just as it has taught you, you will abide in Him.

Hepzibah

Aug 13, 2012
Faith
Christian
Country
United Kingdom
A little something I wrote earlier

Deification in the Early Church

In the introduction to The Study of Holiness from the Early Church Fathers by J. B. Galloway(Wipf and Stock Publishers, 2014), we read: “If the teachings of the modern holiness movement are correct concerning the doctrine of holiness and the baptism with the Holy Ghost as an experience for the saints of God today, perfecting them in Christian love and freeing them form carnal sin, it seems that we should find some evidences of this faith and teachings in the period of the history of the Church where it was the closest to the days of Christ”

“The commentator Adam Clarke objected that the opinion that Paul was speaking of a regenerate person ‘has most pitifully and most shamefully lowered the Standard of Christianity, and even destroyed its influence and disgraced its character.’ A.H. Francke and J. Bengel (and, a little later, John Wesley, and, later still Moses Stuart) were among those who thought that Paul was describing a man who was under conviction of sin, but not yet regenerate. “ Rom 7:24 – Who is the ‘wretched man’? – Walking With Giants

In his celebrated book Holiness, Ryle writes: ‘I am quite satisfied that it does not describe the experience of an unconverted man, or of a young and unestablished Christian; but of an old experienced saint in close communion with God. None but such a man could say, “I delight in the law of God after the inward man” (Rom. 7:22).’

The analysis of Christian development into these three ‘ways’ or phases derives from Dionysius the Pseudo-Areopagite, who ascribed a rhythm of purification, illumination, and union (or perfection) both to the hierarchies of angels and to the Church on earth. Medieval W. interpreters of Dionysius turned his scheme into an account of spiritual progress in terms of the three ways, beginning with the eradication of bad habits and the cultivation of the virtues, moving on to the illumination of the mind by meditation and contemplation, and culminating in unitive love. These three ways were adopted by later writers such as St John of the Cross and so became classic in systematic theories of Christian spirituality. purgative, illuminative, and unitive ways

St. Gregory Nazianzen, one of the great theologians of the fourth century, calls out to us over the centuries and exhorts us with the following. To quote St. Gregory: “Let us not remain what we are, but let us become what we once were.” And from St. Peter, the chief of the apostles, through the first-century voice of St. Ignatius of Antioch, from Irenaeus of the second century through the great Cappadocian Fathers of the fourth century, of the great Desert Fathers of the fifth century, Maximus the Confessor of the sixth century to John of Damascus and John of The Ladder in the ninth century, from Gregory Palamas in the 14th century to St. Silouan in the 20th century—the great Fathers of our Orthodox Church have echoed this exhortation of St. Gregory, reminding us and ever pointing us to the truth, that by God’s grace we can become much more than we are. Our Purpose Our Passions - Purification, Illumination, Deification: Orthodox Spirituality | Ancient Faith Ministries

Eternally Grateful

Feb 27, 2020
Columbus, ohio
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Agreed. The shed blood made the way open for us if we lose our lives.
so we have to earn it?

I think the term lose your life is different than you do..

what did the jew do in the OT on the day of atonement to have the blood of the atonment applied to them?