John Calvin and Calvinism.

• Welcome to Christian Forums, a Christian Forum that recognizes that all Christians are a work in progress.

You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Lifelong_sinner

Sep 21, 2021
Somewhere in time
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
The Gospel presents the Truth to all men. Men either reject or accept that message. There is nothing difficult about understanding WHY some believe and some don't.

Unbelief covers many reasons why men refuse to believe.

Why do you claim you accepted it?

too easy. Whats the I stand for in TULIP?? Irresistible grace!!!!! Thats why we believe.

praise_yeshua

Apr 19, 2022
America
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
No it is you are the one refusing to accept the truth. Jesus said nobody can come to him unless granted by the Father. It is not the message of the Gospel that CAUSES someone to believe. It is God that causes someone to believe. The unbelieving are condemned already. Why? Because they were never going to believe. Why? Because God was never going to regenerate them to believe and rather pass over them to stay content in their sin.

Nobody accepts the truth on their own. That's what Romans says.

No. That is what your lame deceptive theology tries to sell man. I'm not buying your garbage. No one has to buy your garbage. You can't function if your don't get exactly the answer you demand or expect.

Jesus said "If I be lifted up, I will draw all men"...... That is the Gospel. The Gospel draws all men.

"Drawing" doesn't demand or require success.

Reactions: Nancy

Lifelong_sinner

Sep 21, 2021
Somewhere in time
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
All good things come from God.

so if us having faith comes from God, and you just admitted that hearing the gospel alone does not generate faith, then you’re admitting that only those God calls can be saved. Yes!!!!
You are a calvinist!! You have admitted it. Welcome to the fold, brother. :D

praise_yeshua

Apr 19, 2022
America
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
so if us having faith comes from God, and you just admitted that hearing the gospel alone does not generate faith, then you’re admitting that only those God calls can be saved. Yes!!!!
You are a calvinist!! You have admitted it. Welcome to the fold, brother. :D

That is silly and deceptive. I never said such nonsense. I'm not dumb enough to believe like a childish Calvinist. There is nothing intelligent about your position. It is the vile ravings of egomaniacs.

Faith exits because of God. That is what I said. Open your eyes.

Lifelong_sinner

Sep 21, 2021
Somewhere in time
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
That is silly and deceptive. I never said such nonsense. I'm not dumb enough to believe like a childish Calvinist. There is not intelligent about your position. It is the vile ravings of egomaniacs.

Faith exits because of God. That is what I said. Open your eyes.

so if we can only have faith as a result of God granting us faith, then it sounds to me that only those He chose way back in the day can be saved. How can you deny calvinist principles while saying they are right??

praise_yeshua

Apr 19, 2022
America
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
so if we can only have faith as a result of God granting us faith, then it sounds to me that only those He chose way back in the day can be saved. How can you deny calvinist principles while saying they are right??

I said that faith is a gift because it comes from God. That does not mean that every man has faith. It means that man can avail himself of faith.

Nancy

Apr 30, 2018
Buffalo, Ny
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
I said that faith is a gift because it comes from God. That does not mean that every man has faith. It means that man can avail himself of faith.

Hello and welcome here @praise_yeshua

This is in reply to your reply, but also for @Lifelong_sinner

Romans 12:3 states ... "according as God hath dealt to every man the measure of faith"...

So, seems that EVERY man has received SOME measure.

praise_yeshua

Apr 19, 2022
America
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Hello and welcome here @praise_yeshua

This is in reply to your reply, but also for @Lifelong_sinner

Romans 12:3 states ... "according as God hath dealt to every man the measure of faith"...

So, seems that EVERY man has received SOME measure.

Within the context of Paul statement, it is expressing the gifting that come from the Spirit of God in service.

1Co 12:9 To another faith by the same Spirit; to another the gifts of healing by the same Spirit;
1Co 12:10 To another the working of miracles; to another prophecy; to another discerning of spirits; to another divers kinds of tongues; to another the interpretation of tongues:
1Co 12:11 But all these worketh that one and the selfsame Spirit, dividing to every man severally as he will.

It is the "fitting together" the Body of Jesus Christ as God choses.

Nancy

Apr 30, 2018
Buffalo, Ny
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Romans 10:17

17 "So then faith cometh by hearing, and hearing by the word of God."

So, then is this also only for the "elect"? Perhaps it could say 'faith "grows" by hearing The Word Of God' as we already seem to have a "measure of faith" to begin with.

Reactions: GRACE ambassador

praise_yeshua

Apr 19, 2022
America
Faith
Christian
Country
United States

17 "So then faith cometh by hearing, and hearing by the word of God."

So, then is this also only for the "elect"? Perhaps it could say 'faith "grows" by hearing The Word Of God' as we already seem to have a "measure of faith" to begin with.

Faith is a gift that any man can avail himself of. There are varying types/ranks/degrees of faith. Calvinist refuse to acknowledge this fact.

Scott Downey

Dec 19, 2021
New Brunswick
Faith
Christian
Country
Canada
Faith is a gift that any man can avail himself of. There are varying types/ranks/degrees of faith. Calvinist refuse to acknowledge this fact.
Since faith is a gift, that means it is given to a person.
Another example is in Acts verse 16
Acts 3:15-17
New King James Version
15 and killed the Prince of life, whom God raised from the dead, of which we are witnesses.
16 And His name, through faith in His name, has made this man strong, whom you see and know. Yes, the faith which comes through Him has given him this perfect soundness in the presence of you all.

17 “Yet now, brethren, I know that you did it in ignorance, as did also your rulers.

AND not everyone has faith, faith is only for the redeemed of the LORD

Hebrews 12:2
looking unto Jesus, the author and finisher of our faith, who for the joy that was set before Him endured the cross, despising the shame, and has sat down at the right hand of the throne of God.

2 Thessalonians 3
New King James Version
Pray for Us
1 Finally, brethren, pray for us, that the word of the Lord may run swiftly and be glorified, just as it is with you, 2 and that we may be delivered from unreasonable and wicked men; for not all have faith.

3 But the Lord is faithful, who will establish you and guard you from the evil one. 4 And we have confidence in the Lord concerning you, both that you do and will do the things we command you.

5 Now may the Lord direct your hearts into the love of God and into the patience of Christ.

The LORD is faithful and it is HE who establishes our faith and directs our hearts into the love of God, and the patience of Christ.

Last edited:

reformed1689

Oct 15, 2019
Somewhere in the USA
reformedtruths.com
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
No. That is what your lame deceptive theology tries to sell man. I'm not buying your garbage. No one has to buy your garbage. You can't function if your don't get exactly the answer you demand or expect.

Jesus said "If I be lifted up, I will draw all men"...... That is the Gospel. The Gospel draws all men.

"Drawing" doesn't demand or require success.
So what did he mean when he says: "no one can can come to me unless it is granted him by the Father" ?

Nancy

Apr 30, 2018
Buffalo, Ny
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Since faith is a gift, that means it is given to a person.
Another example is in Acts verse 16
Acts 3:15-17
New King James Version
15 and killed the Prince of life, whom God raised from the dead, of which we are witnesses.
16 And His name, through faith in His name, has made this man strong, whom you see and know. Yes, the faith which comes through Him has given him this perfect soundness in the presence of you all.

17 “Yet now, brethren, I know that you did it in ignorance, as did also your rulers.

AND not everyone has faith, faith is only for the redeemed of the LORD

Hebrews 12:2
looking unto Jesus, the author and finisher of our faith, who for the joy that was set before Him endured the cross, despising the shame, and has sat down at the right hand of the throne of God.

2 Thessalonians 3
New King James Version
Pray for Us
1 Finally, brethren, pray for us, that the word of the Lord may run swiftly and be glorified, just as it is with you, 2 and that we may be delivered from unreasonable and wicked men; for not all have faith.

3 But the Lord is faithful, who will establish you and guard you from the evil one. 4 And we have confidence in the Lord concerning you, both that you do and will do the things we command you.

5 Now may the Lord direct your hearts into the love of God and into the patience of Christ.

The LORD is faithful and it is HE who establishes our faith and directs our hearts into the love of God, and the patience of Christ.

Hi Scott,

1 "Finally, brethren, pray for us, that the word of the Lord may run swiftly and be glorified, just as it is with you, 2 and that we may be delivered from unreasonable and wicked men; for not all have faith."

Having "not all faith" can also be interpreted as "not holds to the faith, or, is not a believer" which, is all unbelievers.

If faith is not given to each a measure, what shall we say about:

17 "So then faith cometh by hearing, and hearing by the word of God." ?

Faith to me is believing in what He sees, not me.

Reactions: Scott Downey

Scott Downey

Dec 19, 2021
New Brunswick
Faith
Christian
Country
Canada
Hi Scott,

1 "Finally, brethren, pray for us, that the word of the Lord may run swiftly and be glorified, just as it is with you, 2 and that we may be delivered from unreasonable and wicked men; for not all have faith."

Having "not all faith" can also be interpreted as "not holds to the faith, or, is not a believer" which, is all unbelievers.

If faith is not given to each a measure, what shall we say about:

17 "So then faith cometh by hearing, and hearing by the word of God." ?

Faith to me is believing in what He sees, not me.
Yes, I take not all having faith as those who have no faith in the Lord Jesus, so not saved people.
People can have faith in all sorts of things, including Hindu gods, their own abilities, government.

Speaking of Romans 12 and faith, this is only for the redeemed, only they have been given faith as God's gift, and faith is also one of the fruits of the Spirit, so it is grown in us by the LORD. He is the vinedresser. Some have more and some have less faith, but all the redeemed have a measure of the faith

3 For I say, through the grace given to me, to everyone who is among you, not to think of himself more highly than he ought to think, but to think soberly, as God has dealt to each one a measure of faith. 4 For as we have many members in one body, but all the members do not have the same function, 5 so we, being many, are one body in Christ, and individually members of one another.

Last edited:

Renniks

Feb 3, 2020
Pennsylvania
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
What God wants and what God purposes to do are two very different things. What God wants, or desires, He may not purpose to do. But, some things He wants, He does purpose to do, and those things... always happen. :) When He wants them to. :)
Oh, good grief! The schizophrenia God!

PinSeeker

Oct 4, 2021
Nashville
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Oh, good grief! The schizophrenia God!
LOL!

giphy.gif

My goodness. Grace and peace to you, Renniks.