John MacArthur on N.T. Wright

• Welcome to Christian Forums, a Christian Forum that recognizes that all Christians are a work in progress.

You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Episkopos

May 17, 2011
Montreal
Faith
Christian
Country
Canada
Should we be quick to judge those who teach errors as being "false teachers"? Where would it end? Without the divine balance that includes both righteousness and holiness we are sure to be teaching half-truths at best. Join me as we investigate a John MacArthur sermon on N.T Wright whereby we compare what Luther taught in a reformation "theology" with the "New Perspective" on Paul.

Episkopos

May 17, 2011
Montreal
Faith
Christian
Country
Canada
I prefer to call a theology as being false than the one teaching it being a false teacher. The aspects of what I see as false I cover in the video...progressive sanctification...being imputed the righteousness of God while still sinning...etc. I would say that Martin Luther is fully overblown as any kind of servant of truth. He threw out the baby with the bathwater, so to speak. The Catholic institution needed to be reformed...their practices were carnal. On that note...sure, ...stop selling indulgences and lying to people. No argument there. But to change 1,500 years of apostolic doctrine? It boggles the mind. The arrival of the printing press at that particular time was in no small measure responsible for the surge in popularity of Luther's teachings. Mass media. It worked then to get people hooked...as it does today. An alternative gospel that not only justifies people in their sins...but claims that God sees them as Christ Himself. Outrageous. A delusion that is sent from God will not be easily overcome. One needs to love the truth.

Episkopos

May 17, 2011
Montreal
Faith
Christian
Country
Canada
Some might say that the spiritual approach is too hard on Christians who are "yet carnal". But God's loves mercy. And He is patient...although not willing to strive with man forever.

To the carnal believer...I don't condemn him. He's still a brother who struggles with the flesh. We can encourage him and build him up in the part of him that is able to reach out to God.

Episkopos

May 17, 2011
Montreal
Faith
Christian
Country
Canada
This is only my third video to hit 1K views. It's funny how people resist deeper teachings but instead gravitate towards potential conflict and scandal. Anyway, check out some of the comments. Add your own! ;)

Reactions: faithfulness

Wrangler

Feb 14, 2021
Shining City on a Hill
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
@Episkopos,

I prefer an OP that has a clearly stated thesis. Without this, I really have no idea where you want to take the conversation. Let me give an example of clearly stated thesis.
Coke is better than Pepsi. The reasons for this include higher sales over a sustained period of time. This thread will delve into the many other ways Coke is better than Pepsi.

Implied in the OP is that John MacArthur is teaching errors. But this is not explicit nor are the errors listed. Further, you refer to "divine balance" but only mention what it includes, not what it balances. This is too nebulous for me to watch the vid at this time.

W

Episkopos

May 17, 2011
Montreal
Faith
Christian
Country
Canada
@Episkopos,

I prefer an OP that has a clearly stated thesis. Without this, I really have no idea where you want to take the conversation. Let me give an example of clearly stated thesis.
Coke is better than Pepsi. The reasons for this include higher sales over a sustained period of time. This thread will delve into the many other ways Coke is better than Pepsi.

Implied in the OP is that John MacArthur is teaching errors. But this is not explicit nor are the errors listed. Further, you refer to "divine balance" but only mention what it includes, not what it balances. This is too nebulous for me to watch the vid at this time.

W
All that without watching the video? A parallel would be that you have tasted neither coke nor pepsi, and you won't because you care more about what is said about it than taste as see for yourself. How is that a wise approach? To each his own.

Wrangler

Feb 14, 2021
Shining City on a Hill
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
All that without watching the video?
Absolutely. If you cannot take the time to write a proper thesis on what you are talking about, I’m NOT going to take the time to watch the vid.

I’m not a Florida election official, trying to divine the intent of the voter - or OP.

O'Darby

Feb 17, 2024
Arizona
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
This goes too far. Real Christians prefer Pepsi. I'm pretty sure it's in the Bible - maybe Leviticus? At my church, we actually use Pepsi at communion. "The world" may prefer Coke, but real Christians are not of the world. We will drink RC in a pinch. Dr. Pepper, of course, is satanic.

Episkopos

May 17, 2011
Montreal
Faith
Christian
Country
Canada
Yes, absolutely..

Discern them.
Expose them.

So, obviously @Episkopos you would create an entire Thread that says to "allow them"., as how could YOU not ?
Of course. :) Religious people are quick to condemn. And yet, so often it is the beam in one's eye that can't discern the depth of the problem...whether it is actually much less than oneself.

Episkopos

May 17, 2011
Montreal
Faith
Christian
Country
Canada
Absolutely. If you cannot take the time to write a proper thesis on what you are talking about, I’m NOT going to take the time to watch the vid.

I’m not a Florida election official, trying to divine the intent of the voter - or OP.
Do you realize that it takes MORE time to do a video than to do a post? And the video has a far greater range of depth analysis because others are involved that reveal their own positions?

Wrangler

Feb 14, 2021
Shining City on a Hill
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Do you realize that it takes MORE time to do a video than to do a post? And the video has a far greater range of depth analysis because others are involved that reveal their own positions?
Yes. Hence the need for the thesis statement. Call it executive summary if you prefer.

Last summer I published an 18-page report on the state of operations. It included an executive summary. Still, they wanted me to "walk them through it." It makes sense. There were thousands of data points and complex chains of logic over a wide time frame. Just hearing someone who is intimately familiar with the material go over it is easier than them trying to make sense of so much information. Doing this avoids information overload.

For some reason, you are refusing to give a good and classic presentation where you tell the audience what you're going to tell them, tell them, then tell them what you told them. Carry on wayward son.

Reactions: APAK

Episkopos

May 17, 2011
Montreal
Faith
Christian
Country
Canada
Jesus condemned.

God condemns.

The Bible Condemns.

Truth Condemns.

And your own words, condemn you.

Never believe it can be escaped. @Episkopos
You obviously have a very high opinion of your own analysis. There's nothing like over-confidence.

The irony in this condemning attitude is that tomorrow if you gain some knowledge and understanding you will claim that anyone who holds onto the position you held yesterday is a false teacher. So in reality you are only condemning yourself. :ummm:

Last edited:

Behold

Apr 11, 2020
Netanya or Pensacola
Faith
Christian
Country
Israel
You obviously have a very high opinion of your own analysis. There's nothing like over-confidence.

I only teach Paul's Theology, and i have perfect confidence in His Theology, as He was called by Jesus Himself to deliver it, and He was taught it personally, by Jesus.

You dont recognize any of that. @Episkopos

This is all "news to you", that you will try to pretend that you "already knew" as you are that "type".

Episkopos

May 17, 2011
Montreal
Faith
Christian
Country
Canada
I only teach Paul's Theology, and i have perfect confidence in His Theology, as He was called by Jesus Himself to deliver it, and He was taught it personally, by Jesus.

You dont recognize any of that. @Episkopos

This is all "news to you", that you will try to pretend that you "already knew" as you are that "type".
"As also in all his (Paul's) epistles, speaking in them of these things; in which are some things hard to be understood, which they that are unlearned and unstable wrest, as they do also the other scriptures, unto their own destruction." 2 Pet. 3:16

Behold

Apr 11, 2020
Netanya or Pensacola
Faith
Christian
Country
Israel
"As also in all his (Paul's) epistles, speaking in them of these things; in which are some things hard to be understood, which they that are unlearned and unstable wrest, as they do also the other scriptures, unto their own destruction." 2 Pet. 3:16

You just posted your own self fulfilling prophecy.., again.

This is very unfortunate for you. @Episkopos

Episkopos

May 17, 2011
Montreal
Faith
Christian
Country
Canada
You just posted your own self fulfilling prophecy.., again.

This is very unfortunate for you. @Episkopos
You claim to get your doctrines from Paul (or his evil twin sister Pauline). Doing this without recourse to other biblical authors....without checking the whole counsel of God...increases your chance of error significantly...which puts you into the warning of Peter in 2 Pet. 3:16.

Rather than name calling and acting silly...why not consider what you are doing?

Behold

Apr 11, 2020
Netanya or Pensacola
Faith
Christian
Country
Israel
You claim to get your doctrines from Paul

They are not my "doctrines".
They are Paul's Epistles that are THE Doctrine for the Church (Body of Christ).

Peter recognized that Paul's Letters were equal to the Torah, (Scripture) while Paul was still alive and writing them..

If you were a student of Paul, you would recognize what i post as Paul's Theology.., when i post Theology.

So, what are they exactly?

The are this, @Episkopos ,,

A.) Before Jesus ascended back to Glory, He told the remaining apostles...>"I have many things to say to you, (to share with you) (to teach you) but you are not able to receive them yet"...

See those "things" ?

= "Paul is a chosen vessel unto me".... Jesus said from HEAVEN.

A chosen vessel to do what?

= Paul's Doctrine..... is those "things" that Jesus was talking about to the Apostles..

Last edited:

Episkopos

May 17, 2011
Montreal
Faith
Christian
Country
Canada
They are not my "doctrines".
They are Paul's Epistles that are THE Doctrine for the Church (Body of Christ).

Peter recognized that Paul's Letters were equal to the Torah, (Scripture) while Paul was still alive and writing them..

If you were a student of Paul, you would recognize what i post as Paul's Theology.., when i post Theology.

So, what are they exactly?

The are this, @Episkopos ,,

A.) Before Jesus ascended back to Glory, He told the remaining apostles...>"I have many things to say to you, (to share with you) (to teach you) but you are not able to receive them yet"...

See those "things" ?

= "Paul is a chosen vessel unto me".... Jesus said from HEAVEN.

A chosen vessel to do what?

= Paul's Doctrine..... is those "things" that Jesus was talking about to the Apostles..
Why do I try explaining things over and over to some here?

"Brethren, if any of you do err from the truth, and one convert him;
Let him know, that he which converts the sinner from the error of his way shall save a soul from death, and shall hide a multitude of sins
." James 5 :20,21