JOHN

• Welcome to Christian Forums, a Christian Forum that recognizes that all Christians are a work in progress.

You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

stunnedbygrace

Aug 18, 2018
USA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
we need to be careful here....it is too easy to ratchet our understanding to a place that contradicts scripture. John tells us in his epistle that the primary characteristic of God is Love and from it flows all else. If we deduce that darkness in this context represents misery / destruction as being in existence I think we've taken the wrong path. On the other hand if we see darkness as representative of 'without God' it would be more consistent with John's premise.

Why did God make a place where He was not, or "without Him" as you phrase it?

Reactions: Nancy

stunnedbygrace

Aug 18, 2018
USA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
I found another site I like, qbible.com.
I might as well look the rest of the way crazy to everyone - in the beginning God created can translate also as: the chief in rank cut them down, angels/rulers

It's sort of like...the literal is an overlay on the spiritual/all that is going on that we don't see.

stunnedbygrace

Aug 18, 2018
USA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
And wickedness, darkness, misery and death were on the surface, face, the part that turned away

Last edited:

Nancy

Staff member
Apr 30, 2018
Buffalo, Ny
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Just wondering here about all this darkness stuff. When looking up scriptures concerning God and darkness, I find what seems to me that God hides Himself IN darkness. Here are a few verses that make me wonder...

Psalm 18:11
11 He made darkness his secret place; his pavilion round about him were dark waters and thick clouds of the skies.

1 Kings 8: “Then spake Solomon: “The Lord said that he would dwell in the thick darkness.”

First Samuel 22: “He made darkness pavilions round about Him, dark waters and thick clouds of the sky.”

Psalm 18:11: “He made darkness his secret place.”

So, God lives in light and in darkness?

Reactions: Waiting on him

Enoch111

May 27, 2018
Alberta
Faith
Christian
Country
Canada
Do you have any verses where it tells of this cosmic light?
I already quoted the relevant verses. The light from the sun or the moon did not appear until the fourth day, when they were created.

THE FOURTH DAY OF CREATION: THE SUN, MOON, AND STARS
14 And God said, Let there be lights in the firmament of the heaven to divide the day from the night; and let them be for signs, and for seasons, and for days, and years: 15 And let them be for lights in the firmament of the heaven to give light upon the earth: and it was so. 16 And God made two great lights [the sun and moon]; the greater light to rule the day, and the lesser light to rule the night: he made the stars also. 17 And God set them in the firmament of the heaven to give light upon the earth, 18 And to rule over the day and over the night, and to divide the light from the darkness: and God saw that it was good.19 And the evening and the morning were the fourth day.

So for three days there was just cosmic light along, with the cycle if day and night. After that the sun and moon gave light to the earth.

Enoch111

May 27, 2018
Alberta
Faith
Christian
Country
Canada
The Bible says that they are both alike to Him. But physical darkness is not necessarily always evil. It is simply the absence of physical light, and indeed it is highly beneficial to many nocturnal creatures (as well as diurnal creatures). Human beings would not have a time to rest and sleep without darkness, and without sleep they would not be able to function. Indeed sleep deprivation is a serious issue.

So for anyone to insist that physical darkness is always evil is TOTAL NONSENSE. However, at times it is used as a metaphor, and context makes that clear. It is also applied to spiritual blindness.

stunnedbygrace

Aug 18, 2018
USA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Just wondering here about all this darkness stuff. When looking up scriptures concerning God and darkness, I find what seems to me that God hides Himself IN darkness. Here are a few verses that make me wonder...

11 He made darkness his secret place; his pavilion round about him were dark waters and thick clouds of the skies.

1 Kings 8: “Then spake Solomon: “The Lord said that he would dwell in the thick darkness.”

First Samuel 22: “He made darkness pavilions round about Him, dark waters and thick clouds of the sky.”

I don't think those instances have the same meaning even though it is the same word used. I am not saying darkness always renders as wickedness, misery, death, separation from God. Sometimes it does. Sometimes it means secret place, obscurity, night.

I have seen something behind the letter of the word in the beginning of Genesis. I would be very surprised, I guess, if anyone else could see it.

marks

Oct 10, 2018
SoCal USA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
After God finished creating, He saw that everything was very good.

quietthinker

May 4, 2018
FNQ
Faith
Christian
Country
Australia

darkness to those distanced from him....light to those who are close

Nancy

Staff member
Apr 30, 2018
Buffalo, Ny
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
darkness to those distanced from him....light to those who are close

I think He shrouds Himself, in full anyhow, for our own protection...the light of His glory would undo us! If we see through a glass darkly now...try looking at the sun directly on a sunny day...we can't even do that and that is a glass darkly :eek:

Reactions: stunnedbygrace

Nancy

Staff member
Apr 30, 2018
Buffalo, Ny
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
I don't think those instances have the same meaning even though it is the same word used. I am not saying darkness always renders as wickedness, misery, death, separation from God. Sometimes it does. Sometimes it means secret place, obscurity, night.

I have seen something behind the letter of the word in the beginning of Genesis. I would be very surprised, I guess, if anyone else could see it.

"I have seen something behind the letter of the word in the beginning of Genesis."

"3 And God said, Let there be light: and there was light."

Would this verse have anything to do with what you see behind the letter of the word..."? Was God Himself living in darkness before He made the light? Or, of course, this could be talking about the earth only ¯\_(ツ)_/¯ Thought I'd give it a shot, lol.

stunnedbygrace

Aug 18, 2018
USA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
"I have seen something behind the letter of the word in the beginning of Genesis."

"3 And God said, Let there be light: and there was light."

Would this verse have anything to do with what you see behind the letter of the word..."? Was God Himself living in darkness before He made the light? Or, of course, this could be talking about the earth only ¯\_(ツ)_/¯ Thought I'd give it a shot, lol.

I don't think this light was created light, as were the sun and moon.

Nancy

Staff member
Apr 30, 2018
Buffalo, Ny
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
I don't think this light was created light, as were the sun and moon.

So, are you going to share what it is that you see behind the letter of the word (Word?) in the beginning of Gen. ?
Curious Nancy (LOL)

stunnedbygrace

Aug 18, 2018
USA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
So for three days there was just cosmic light

Um...once again, do you have any verses that explain that this is "cosmic" light spoken of at first? I, at least, have verses from the opening of John that I believe support and show Jesus as that 1st light. Even if no one else can see it, at least I have put forth some supporting verses. You have given no verses supporting "cosmic" light.

Waiting on him

Dec 21, 2018
North America
Faith
Christian
Country
United States

Psalm 19:1-5 KJV
[1] The heavens declare the glory of God; and the firmament sheweth his handywork. [2] Day unto day uttereth speech, and night unto night sheweth knowledge. [3] There is no speech nor language, where their voice is not heard. [4] Their line is gone out through all the earth, and their words to the end of the world. In them hath he set a tabernacle for the sun, [5] Which is as a bridegroom coming out of his chamber, and rejoiceth as a strong man to run a race.

Tecarta Bible

Reactions: stunnedbygrace