Journey to Moriah (page 2)

• Welcome to Christian Forums, a Christian Forum that recognizes that all Christians are a work in progress.

You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Ben Abraham

Dec 13, 2020
Houston
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
After the rest stop, the small caravan continued on the journey. Little by little, they made their way toward the land of Moriah, it wouldn’t be long now. As the sunset at the end of the second day, the group pitched their tents. As the evening before, the old man wandered off a distance to pray and meditate on the strange task before him. Could he dare deny God anything?

The old man’s son looked across the desert from the entrance of his tent. He saw the outline of his father in the light of the moon. This night, he did not join him. He had the feeling that his father wanted to be alone with his thoughts.

On the third day Abraham lifted up his eyes and saw the place afar off (Gen 22:4) He turned to watch his two servants who were following close behind him. As they got closer, he lifted up his hand for them to stop. There was a shallow well beside the road. Abraham pointed to the well. The servants went over to refresh themselves and their beasts also.

Abraham proceeded to untie the bundle of firewood from the back of his donkey. He also took out the iron and flint to start the fire. He then walked over to where his two servants were watering their donkeys. He walked slowly, pondering his mission. A test, could it indeed be another test of his faith?

“Stay here with the donkey,” Abraham said to his young men, “the lad and I will go yonder and worship, and we will come back to you” (Gen 22:5) Abraham thought about the words which just proceeded from his mouth. WE will come back to you? Indeed WE?

So Abraham took the wood of the burnt offering and laid it on Isaac his son, and he took the fire in his hand, and the knife and the two of them went together. (Gen 22:6)

Slowly, both father and son ascended the small mountain called Moriah. Abraham led the way and his son Isaac followed close behind. When they neared the top of Moriah, Isaac looked around. He had a puzzling look on his face as if something were missing. He finally revealed his thoughts to Abraham his father.

“My father” and he said, “Here I am my son”. Then Isaac responded;

“Look, the fire and the wood, but where is the lamb for the burnt offering?” (Gen 22:7)

Abraham looked at his son, his eyes filled with love and compassion. He loved his boy but he also loved God. Could he dare deny the creator of life, a life that he himself created?

Then Abraham said;

“My son, God will provide for himself the lamb for a burnt offering”.

So, the two of them went together. Then they came to the place of which God had told them. And Abraham built an altar there and placed the wood in order and he bound Isaac his son and laid him on the altar, upon the wood. (Gen 22:8, 9)

Isaac looked up at his father with tears in his eyes. He could hardly believe what was happening. The lamb for the sacrifice, the lamb, he, Isaac, would be the lamb. A human lamb? How could such a sacrifice be?

“Father,” said Isaac quietly, “how can the God of the universe, of all creation, the creator of all that is good want a human sacrifice? Does he not detest such practices?”

Abraham, with tears in his eyes, looked down at his son who was bound with rope, laying on the wood. What words could he say to his son, the chosen son of the covenant?

“Yes, my son,” said Abraham, his voice cracking, “God does indeed detest such practices,

But still, I must trust him in all things”

“Is there nothing you can refuse him, father?”

“nothing” replied Abraham with tears flowing from his eyes.

“Go ahead then father” replied Isaac, “I am ready to be the sacrifice he demands of you”. Abraham slowly nodded.

“I love you son”

“I love you too, father” replied Isaac.

And Abraham stretched out his hand and took the knife to slay his son. But the Angel of the LORD called to him from heaven and said;

“Abraham, Abraham” so he said

“Here I am” and he said

“Do not lay your hand on the lad, or do anything to him; for now, I know that you fear

God since you have not withheld your son, your only son, from me.” (Gen 22:11-12)

“Thank you, LORD,” whispered Abraham, “Thank you”.

Isaac opened his eyes and looked up at his father. Both were smiling now. Both had passed the test. A test of obedience, a test of faith, a test of courage.

“All is good now son,” said Abraham, “God did not really intend for you to be the sacrifice”

Abraham sat Isaac upon the wood. He then cut the ropes that bound Isaac hands and feet. As Isaac got down from the stone altar, he looked at something moving in some bushes behind his father.

“Father, look behind you, there’s something moving.”

Then Abraham lifted his eyes and looked and there behind him was a ram caught in a thicket by its horns. So, Abraham went and took the ram and offered it up for a burnt

offering instead of his son. (Gen 22:13)

Father and son stood there by the altar of stone. The body of the perfect ram was bloodied and bursting with bright, orange flames. Soon it was just a charred skeleton completely consumed by the flames.

“This was a lesson about faith my son,” said Abraham as he held his son by his side.

“God had intended all along that this ram be the sacrifice that would take your place on the pile of wood. He wanted to see if I was willing to offer you up my son”

“Would you…. would you have brought the knife down upon me father… really?” asked Isaac, looking up deep into his father’s eyes.

“Yes, son” replied Abraham, “I would have, and the LORD knowest all thoughts and all deeds even beforehand. Thus he prepared the ram for the burnt offering. Can you understand that my son?”

“Yes, father” replied Isaac, meditating on what his father had just said, “I think so.”

“Now,” said Abraham, “Let’s go back down and return home. I believe your mother is awaiting our return.”

As father and son started back down the mountain, Isaac looked back one more time at the altar and the ram, which was now only a small pile of smoldering ashes.

“Only the future will reveal the true meaning of this lesson today son,” said Abraham embracing his son Isaac.

And Abraham called the name of the place, The LORD-will-provide, as it is said to this day. In the mount of the LORD, it shall be provided. (Gen 22:14)

As father and son stood there that day upon the summit of the LORD’s mountain, they heard the voice of the Angel of God calling out a second time from heaven saying:

“By myself, I have sworn, says the LORD because you have done this thing and have not withheld your son, your only son; blessing I will bless you, and multiplying I will multiply your descendants as the stars of the heavens and as the sand which is on the seashore, and your descendants shall possess the gate of your enemies. In your seed, all the nations of the earth shall be blessed because you have obeyed my voice.” (Gen 22:15-18)

Father and son smiled at each other. “Blessed be the LORD,” said Abraham lifting up his hands toward heaven. “Blessed be his Holy Name” replied Isaac also lifting up his hands toward heaven.

So Abraham and Isaac returned to the servants who were awaiting them at the foot of the Mount of God and went together to Beersheba, and Abraham dwelt at Beersheba. (Gen 22:19)

Reactions: amadeus

Ben Abraham

Dec 13, 2020
Houston
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
It relates to New Testament truth in that in the "Seed of Abraham, all nations will be blessed" and the "Seed of Abraham" (Zerah Avraham) is Yeshua, and Yeshua is symbolized in the ram that took Isaac's place on the stone altar.

Reactions: amadeus and farouk

Jay Ross

Jun 20, 2011
QLD
Faith
Christian
Country
Australia
@Ben Abraham, your story line can be likened to a myth in that you have made a number of assumptions which do not jell with the Biblical Record.

For example Abraham was closer to 30-35 years of age when he and Abraham went up to Mariah at the command of the Lord to Sacrifice Isaac. It is interesting the faith that Isaac showed in both Abraham and the Lord in that Isaac as a 30 something adult would have had the strength to resist being bound by his father, but he willingly submitted himself to being bound and laid upon the wood for the sacrifice.

Isaac also did not necessarily return with his father to Beersheba, as the Bible is silent on this point but when Rebekah was brought to him to become his wife we learn that Isaac lived further south and lived in the Negeb and that he had recently travelled from Beer Lahai Roi. We also learn that he had by this time acquired his mothers tent to live in. Rebekah became Isaac's wife when he was 40 years old, a few years after Terah had died when Isaac was 36 years old. Sahar died when Isaac was 37 years old.

It seems to me that you have written this story from the understanding of the traditions of the Nation of Israel, rather than from the Scriptures themselves.

Shalom

Yan

Jun 15, 2020
City of David
the-land-of-hope.blogspot.com
Faith
Christian
Country
Indonesia
Dear sir @Ben Abraham, according to the bible the Old Covenant offerings of sheep and lamb did not erase the sins of man. Jesus was the real lamb replacement of Isaac because Jesus was born from the offsprings of Isaac (Matthew 1:1-17).
That's why Jesus was called as a Lamb of God (John 1:29-51), because since the blood of Abel shed there is still no redemption from God because of original sin, they were under prisoners of the serpent. Jesus came to release them from the prisoners (Isaiah 11:1-16; Isaiah 61:1-11; Luke 4:16-27), Jesus was fulfillment of Isaiah 53:1-12, as he was treated like all victim since Abel to Zachariah (Luke 11:49-51; Hebrews 5:1-10).

Last edited:

amadeus

Jan 26, 2008
Oklahoma
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
You are welcome among us Ben Abraham. Thank you for sharing with us!

“Look, the fire and the wood, but where is the lamb for the burnt offering?” (Gen 22:7)

Abraham looked at his son, his eyes filled with love and compassion. He loved his boy but he also loved God. Could he dare deny the creator of life, a life that he himself created?

Then Abraham said;

“My son, God will provide for himself the lamb for a burnt offering”.

And Abraham called the name of the place, The LORD-will-provide, as it is said to this day. In the mount of the LORD, it shall be provided. (Gen 22:14)
The Lord will provide and indeed He provided in the place of that name a shadow of what was really to come. Then He provided the reality... but as we know, in the shadow, God spared the son of Abraham, but His own Son who called to Him He did not spare so that none of us need be gentiles or heathen anymore without hope and without Life...

"And he went a little farther, and fell on his face, and prayed, saying, O my Father, if it be possible, let this cup pass from me: nevertheless not as I will, but as thou wilt." Matt 26:39

"Nor consider that it is expedient for us, that one man should die for the people, and that the whole nation perish not.
And this spake he not of himself: but being high priest that year, he prophesied that Jesus should die for that nation;
And not for that nation only, but that also he should gather together in one the children of God that were scattered abroad" John 11:50-52

"When Jesus therefore had received the vinegar, he said, It is finished: and he bowed his head, and gave up the ghost." John 19:30