Just a Question about conffesions

• Welcome to Christian Forums, a Christian Forum that recognizes that all Christians are a work in progress.

You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Status
Not open for further replies.

AnaheimDucks

May 5, 2008
I got a question when I go to confession should I say "ALL MY SINS". Everything or just.....well i don't know..... .. so all my sins right? Will the priest think that I'm well weird...anyway thanks:cool:

followerofchrist

Nov 22, 2007
(AnaheimDucks;50751)
I got a question when I go to confession should I say "ALL MY SINS". Everything or just.....well i don't know..... .. so all my sins right? Will the priest think that I'm well weird...anyway thanks:cool:
Your probably not going to like my answer but its from scripture so accept it. It doesn't matter what the priest thinks because you should be confessing your sins to God, not your priest. The priest cannot forgive your sins so why confess to him?But to your question, yes, confess ALL your sins to God. He already knows your sins but is pleased that you confess and acknowledge them. Plus when you take the time to confess every single sin, it forces you to think about it. And when you really take the time to look at your faults, it will help you to live a better life and to fight against sin.

Letsgofishing

Nov 27, 2007
Actual to help clear things up for you its not the priest forgiving your sins but God through the priest. ask the priest next time if you don't believe me. An generally the rule is your supposed to confess all serious sins, there listed here http://www.saintaquinas.com/mortal_sin.html and then go on and confess anything your feeling really guilty about. I wouldn't suggest telling the priest everything, the priest would be in thier for days
smile.gif
. (Not teasing you, that applys to all of us.) Your brother in christRyan Fitz

Christina

Apr 10, 2006
I will have to come down here in the center I guess I agree with Followerofchrist that you do not need a priest God says to come to him.But that being said LGF is right if thats your belief confess to the priest what your comfortable with and confess everything to God.For either way it is God who forgives you not the priest.

treeoflife

Apr 30, 2008
(AnaheimDucks;50751)
I'm not sure of the particulars of Catholic ritual... but here is this.
1 Timothy 2:5For there is one God, and one mediator between God and men, the man Christ Jesus

followerofchrist

Nov 22, 2007
(treeoflife;50813)
1 Timothy 2:5 For there is one God, and one mediator between God and men, the man Christ Jesus
I think that pretty much sums it up!

goldy

Nov 6, 2007
(treeoflife;50813)
1 Timothy 2:5For there is one God, and one mediator between God and men, the man Christ Jesus
If you're going to interpret that verse in a literalist way, then you should never ask another person to pray for you and vice versa. After all, 1 Timothy 2:5 says that there is only one mediator and that's Christ. St. Paul is using hyperbole in this passage to hammer home a point that we shouldn't put anything or anyone before Christ, or worship anything or anyone else. Hyperbole is used in other passages, such as (can't remember the exact verse), "if your right eye causes you to sin, pluck it out" or "if your hand causes you to sin, cut it off". These are passages to drive home a point emphatically.

Letsgofishing

Nov 27, 2007
No, there is only one mediator between man and that man is Jesus Christ.It is through Jesus Christ that saints can pray for usit is through Jesus Christ that we can pray for eachotherand it is Jesus Christ who forgives our sins through a priest.make that phrase a hyperbole and you encourage idol worship.

goldy

Nov 6, 2007
(Letsgofishing;50851)
No, there is only one mediator between man and that man is Jesus Christ.It is through Jesus Christ that saints can pray for usit is through Jesus Christ that we can pray for eachotherand it is Jesus Christ who forgives our sins through a priest.make that phrase a hyperbole and you encourage idol worship.
So are you saying that hyperbole is never used in the Bible? Don't see how I'm encouraging idol worship here. There IS only one mediator between man and that's Jesus. I never said otherwise. But many protestants will use this passage to refute intercessory prayers of saints and the role of the Blessed Mother.

Jackie D

Mar 15, 2008
(goldy;50908)
So are you saying that hyperbole is never used in the Bible? Don't see how I'm encouraging idol worship here. There IS only one mediator between man and that's Jesus. I never said otherwise. But many protestants will use this passage to refute intercessory prayers of saints and the role of the Blessed Mother.
This line of conversation needs to come to an end right now. This forum is for fellowship and discussion of biblical truths. Kindly keep all posts centered on the truths of the word of God and away from denominational rib poking.

treeoflife

Apr 30, 2008
(goldy;50839)
If you're going to interpret that verse in a literalist way, then you should never ask another person to pray for you and vice versa. After all, 1 Timothy 2:5 says that there is only one mediator and that's Christ. St. Paul is using hyperbole in this passage to hammer home a point that we shouldn't put anything or anyone before Christ, or worship anything or anyone else. Hyperbole is used in other passages, such as (can't remember the exact verse), "if your right eye causes you to sin, pluck it out" or "if your hand causes you to sin, cut it off". These are passages to drive home a point emphatically.
Just so long as all that is being done is asking for someone else to pray for them... then great. Is that is what is occuring in a confessional booth? Fellowship? Does the priest ever ask the person who comes into the booth to pray for him too? Just curious, I've never been.I was simplying pointing out my ingorance concerning Catholic ritual, and reminding us of the truth that there is one mediator between us and God... Jesus Christ. We can go DIRECTLY TO THE FATHER, if we so desire (I hope we do). We can go boldy, before the thrown of grace
smile.gif
.:bible: :shepard:

goldy

Nov 6, 2007
(treeoflife;50912)
Just so long as all that is being done is asking for someone else to pray for them... then great. Is that is what is occuring in a confessional booth? Fellowship? Does the priest ever ask the person who comes into the booth to pray for him too? Just curious, I've never been.I was simplying pointing out my ingorance concerning Catholic ritual, and reminding us of the truth that there is one mediator between us and God... Jesus Christ. We can go DIRECTLY TO THE FATHER, if we so desire (I hope we do). We can go boldy, before the thrown of grace
smile.gif
.:bible: :shepard:
The priest can certainly ask the person to pray for him too. "God the father of mercy through the death and resurrection of his Son sent the Holy Spirit among us for the forgiveness of sins. Through the ministry of His Church, may God grant you pardon and peace, and I absolve you of your sins, in the name of the Father, and of the Son, and of the Holy Spirit." These are the words the priest says after we confess our sins. When we confess our sins through the sacrament of Reconciliation, we are simply whispering into the ear of Christ Himself. I compare it to coming home to my Father.....the return of the prodigal son.

jtartar

Mar 14, 2008
(AnaheimDucks;50751)
AnaheimDucks,The Bible says to confess your sins to God. The reason it is good to confess you sins to an elder, or to some other trusted friend,is because when you do, you know they will check up on you to see how you are doing. This will help you to control yourself much better than trying to stop something on your on willpower. If you truely want help to stop something that you know is wrong, you will want this help, Prov 28:13, James 5:16.

treeoflife

Apr 30, 2008
(goldy;50915)
The priest can certainly ask the person to pray for him too. "God the father of mercy through the death and resurrection of his Son sent the Holy Spirit among us for the forgiveness of sins. Through the ministry of His Church, may God grant you pardon and peace, and I absolve you of your sins, in the name of the Father, and of the Son, and of the Holy Spirit." These are the words the priest says after we confess our sins. When we confess our sins through the sacrament of Reconciliation, we are simply whispering into the ear of Christ Himself. I compare it to coming home to my Father.....the return of the prodigal son.
There are good things and bad things in that prayer (the one the priest says) as far as I can tell. Though, memorizing a prayer and saying it ritualistically has other problems in and of itself in my understanding. It really loses the *relationship* aspect when you go with a pre-drawn prayer, ready to go, as if read from a book or sheet of paper. Okay, to the prayer."God the father of mercy through the death and resurrection of his Son sent the Holy Spirit among us for the forgiveness of sins." Nothing that I know about God contridicts that at all. Very true indeed.This is where it starts to fall apart for me. "Through the ministry of His Church, may God grant you pardon and peace, and I absolve you of your sins".It's the, "through the ministry of His Church" part that throws me for a loop, and then the following part where the priest says "*I* absolve you of your sins". Sadly, there are many people who probably believe their sins aren't forgiven until a priest does this.See, I always thought that I was "whispering in Jesus' ear" whenever I prayed to God. I mean, the time I am not speaking to him directly. Sometimes I shout, sometimes I sing, sometimes I cry, other times I talk plainly, and sometimes I whisper.I agree, the Bible (God's Word tells us) that we should confess our sins one to another... but there is no special absolving of sins that would otherwise go unforgiven if not done through confession to a priest. It is damaging to people who think that there is something special, or extra forgiveness. We are forgiven 100%, wholly, through Christ and simply trusting God at His Word to save.

goldy

Nov 6, 2007
(treeoflife;50922)
There are good things and bad things in that prayer (the one the priest says) as far as I can tell. Though, memorizing a prayer and saying it ritualistically has other problems in and of itself in my understanding. It really loses the *relationship* aspect when you go with a pre-drawn prayer, ready to go, as if read from a book or sheet of paper. Okay, to the prayer."God the father of mercy through the death and resurrection of his Son sent the Holy Spirit among us for the forgiveness of sins." Nothing that I know about God contridicts that at all. Very true indeed.This is where it starts to fall apart for me. "Through the ministry of His Church, may God grant you pardon and peace, and I absolve you of your sins".It's the, "through the ministry of His Church" part that throws me for a loop, and then the following part where the priest says "*I* absolve you of your sins". Sadly, there are many people who probably believe their sins aren't forgiven until a priest does this.See, I always thought that I was "whispering in Jesus' ear" whenever I prayed to God. I mean, the time I am not speaking to him directly. Sometimes I shout, sometimes I sing, sometimes I cry, other times I talk plainly, and sometimes I whisper.I agree, the Bible (God's Word tells us) that we should confess our sins one to another... but there is no special absolving of sins that would otherwise go unforgiven if not done through confession to a priest. It is damaging to people who think that there is something special, or extra forgiveness. We are forgiven 100%, wholly, through Christ and simply trusting God at His Word to save.
Well, I gave it a shot:)Here is another answer to the question: Why do Catholics confess their sins to a priest? These are not my words by they way.Answer: Jesus Christ gave His disciples-and by extension, priests (you probably disagree with that, but that's another discussion) the power not only to "loose" sins (that is, forgive in God's name), but also to "bind" (that is, impose penances): "Whatever you bind on earth shall be bound in heaven, and whatever you loose on earth shall be loosed in heaven" (Mt. 18:18-see also Mt. 16:19). "If you forgive the sins of any, they are forgiven, if you retain the sins of any, they are retained" (Jn.20:23). The priest serves as the representative of God and of His mercy. Confession gives new courage, confidence, and a fresh start. One learns humility by this practice, receives additional grace in order to avoid sin, and attains a certainty of forgiveness that is superior to mere FEELINGS. Confession is also indicated in Mt.3:5-6, Acts19:18, and 1 John 1:9. -Excerpt from "Our Sunday Visitor" pamphletHope this helps....if only a little bit

Jackie D

Mar 15, 2008
See, I always thought that I was "whispering in Jesus' ear" whenever I prayed to God. I mean, the time I am not speaking to him directly. Sometimes I shout, sometimes I sing, sometimes I cry, other times I talk plainly, and sometimes I whisper.
Me too! and sometimes I don't say anything at all, I simply wonder about Him. Prayer is a wonderful thing, because it can be done in so many ways...ways that are personal and real. God made us to be US, each so different-unique. I think it is wonderful that there are people who can do this with the Lord. Our relationships with our children is a good example. Each child so different in every way from the way they think to the way they communicate, from the way they learn to the degree of physical, emotional and mental maturity. If we dealt with each one the very same only one might benefit from us. But if we deal with each separately and on the level of their understanding all will benefit. I believe God is the same way with us. And that the way He used King David to the way He dealt with Job are prime examples of the diversity in which God has created and knows us. We being His creation are known by Him in such a way that we ourselves don't even know. How marvelous is that?Confession can be personal and it can be corporate. But I believe that it should not be done in a wrote manner, "like reading from a script" but in a heartfelt and personal manner. When one goes by script they are taking on a religious behavior that, IMO, becomes like a habit instead of relational. Habits are things that are done without thought. Leaving out thought, will lead to leaving out the heart. Again MO.I also believe that confession is necessary but how it is done should be determined on a case by case basis and not by the standards of any church or group of people, but how the Lord leads person in doing so. We can gain courage, hope and new beginning without having to go to a priest....let us remember that where two or more are gathered in His name, there He shall also be. So if a person is being led to make confession to Him in the presence of another that should be. However I don't think there is anywhere that stipulates that every harm, sin or backslide has to include another person in order for confession of sins to be forgiven. blessings

Learning

Dec 12, 2007
Once you have accepted Jesus and ask for forgiveness for the past, I think it is good to ask for forgiveness for each sin afterwards.

AnaheimDucks

May 5, 2008
Thanks Guys. Ill tell my priest on wednesday...still feeling weird cause I have to say so much in front of a person I don't know....but I feel its the right thing

eternalarcadia

Nov 15, 2007
1 Timothy 2:5 ---For there is one God, and one mediator between God and men, the man Christ JesusEzra 10:11---Now therefore make confession unto the LORD God of your fathersDaniel 9:4---And I prayed unto the LORD my God, and made my confession, and said, O Lord, the great and dreadful God, keeping the covenant and mercy to them that love him, and to them that keep his commandments;Romans 10:9---That if thou shalt confess with thy mouth the Lord Jesus, and shalt believe in thine heart that God hath raised him from the dead, thou shalt be saved.

Sir Knight

Jan 3, 2008
In John 20:21-23, Jesus says, "If you forgive the sins of any, they are forgiven. If you retain the sins of any, they are retained." In order for the apostles to exercise this gift of forgiving sins, the penitents must orally confess their sins to them because while Jesus gave then the authority to forgive sins, nowhere is it mentioned that He gave them the power to read minds and without being told what the sins are, how would they determine whether to forgive the sin or retain it? Also, if we can confess our sins directly to God, why did Jesus instruct the Apostles to go out and forgive sins? It would seem like an awful waste of their time. Imagine them travel for days from one village to another arriving to tell the people that they came to forgive them their sins only to have the people respond that they already prayed directly to God and didn't need the forgiveness that the Apostles brought.Something doesn't seem right.

Status
Not open for further replies.