Keeping the Sabbath tells people Who you Worship

• Welcome to Christian Forums, a Christian Forum that recognizes that all Christians are a work in progress.

You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

rockytopva

Staff member
Dec 31, 2010
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Worshiping on Sunday... We are merely keeping tradition that goes back as far as the Apostles...

And upon the first day of the week, when the disciples came together to break bread, Paul preached unto them, ready to depart on the morrow; and continued his speech until midnight. - Acts 20:7

Spyder

Jan 9, 2024
Holt
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Moses. Was willing to die himself in order to avert God's judgement on Israel.

Indeed He did. So why throw it back in His face?
So you think that acknowledging the statement that Yeshua made is to "throw it back in His face?" I can hardly see your logic in that statement. My point is that Yeshua dulled the edge used by the Pharisees and all their rules about what one may or may not do on the Sabbath. He even pointed out how they broke their own "rules."
If we tie this bit one knowledge to the Apostle Paul's admonition to not squabble about a special day belief between believers, then we should not squabble either, don't you think?

Reactions: St. SteVen

St. SteVen

Feb 5, 2023
Minneapolis
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
What do you think? (forum topic link below)

Skepticism versus gullibility

Just heard a sermon that came down pretty hard on skepticism.
Trying to process how I feel about that. Thanks for listening. (send help)

It appears that there is no room for healthy skepticism in the church.
But for some reason the skeptics weren't called gullible. No one was, actually.
We are offered apologetics to counteract skepticism. (unbelief)

I was raised evangelical Protestant.
I remember my state of shock when I found out where the Bible actually came from.
Not what the church told me.

I had never heard of the canon of scripture.
I thought a cannon was a war relic, not a religious relic. - Ha!

Same with the hell doctrine.
No one informed me that there were three biblical doctrines of the final judgment.
They did bad-mouth Universalism though.

I had no idea that Universalism was actually a Christian doctrine from the early church in the East.
Which is where the church came from, hello?

And what about inerrancy? Don't get me started... Grr...
Anyone else want to rant on either aspect? Thanks.

/

Spyder

Jan 9, 2024
Holt
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
What do you think? (forum topic link below)

Skepticism versus gullibility

Just heard a sermon that came down pretty hard on skepticism.
Trying to process how I feel about that. Thanks for listening. (send help)

It appears that there is no room for healthy skepticism in the church.
But for some reason the skeptics weren't called gullible. No one was, actually.
We are offered apologetics to counteract skepticism. (unbelief)

I was raised evangelical Protestant.
I remember my state of shock when I found out where the Bible actually came from.
Not what the church told me.

I had never heard of the canon of scripture.
I thought a cannon was a war relic, not a religious relic. - Ha!

Same with the hell doctrine.
No one informed me that there were three biblical doctrines of the final judgment.
They did bad-mouth Universalism though.

I had no idea that Universalism was actually a Christian doctrine from the early church in the East.
Which is where the church came from, hello?

And what about inerrancy? Don't get me started... Grr...
Anyone else want to rant on either aspect? Thanks.

/
It may sound like a rant, but it is not. I have no anger about it, but I am saddened because so many, many people remain unaware of the history of Christianity, the people of Israel, and the evolution of Scripture. I think they willfully remain ignorant.

I have found that the strongest force used to control the hearts and minds of people is social pressure. We shut down our brains in order to tolerate what the community around us wants. We will even claim to believe something based on what "the majority" believes. I know from my times past that the person who claims to believe something cannot tell me WHY they believe it. Well, if you discount the response "the Bible says it so that settles it."

Of course, they are referring to their preferred English translation without knowing any of the history of where it came from.

Despite our resources today to study scripture and let God place His truth in His true believers, the crowd prefers to remain blissful.

Great examples of this kind of mind-control exist throughout history (and specifically in the history of "the church.")

I am especially saddened by people whom I love that refuse to examine their beliefs to the point that they can scripturally defends them using the entirety of scripture. I am not shocked when they simply offer the proof-texts that they have been previously given. They even get angry with other passages are offered for consideration. I don't know that they even realize that they are censoring scripture - as do most churches in existence today (if not all of them).

I think that, if we even want to know what lies are being told in a community, simply find out which one is prohibited from discussion. The truth does not fear discussion, but lies get angry and hide.

I think that God is moving to correct those false doctrines now - using those who are willing to speak out despite condemnation by the majority. But, that may be simply my perception.

St. SteVen

Feb 5, 2023
Minneapolis
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Thanks for your response.
The truth does not fear discussion, but lies get angry and hide.
Well said.

I think that God is moving to correct those false doctrines now - using those who are willing to speak out despite condemnation by the majority. But, that may be simply my perception.
Agree.
Believers are standing up and finding support. A forum like this really helps.

/

Reactions: BarneyFife

Spyder

Jan 9, 2024
Holt
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Loving ourselves can be merely taking care of yourself. We feed, clothe, and shelter ourselves. Think of the Greek word Agape. It doesn't mean that we are to hold ourselves higher than we esteem others. Anyone who may use the idea to justify their self-centeredness are missing the point.

Reactions: BarneyFife

St. SteVen

Feb 5, 2023
Minneapolis
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Loving ourselves can be merely taking care of yourself. We feed, clothe, and shelter ourselves. Think of the Greek word Agape. It doesn't mean that we are to hold ourselves higher than we esteem others. Anyone who may use the idea to justify their self-centeredness are missing the point.
The context of the question is "love your neighbor as yourself."
The question is, how do you love yourself?
Do you love your neighbor by the same measure?

/

Spyder

Jan 9, 2024
Holt
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
The context of the question is "love your neighbor as yourself."
The question is, how do you love yourself?
Do you love your neighbor by the same measure?

/
I do. In my desire to walk with God in life, I have learned to have care for my brothers and sisters - as well as those neighbors who have yet to join the family - as I do myself. It is easier once I learned that God provides me the things I need, and above those needs; I share with others in need. My wife sometimes wishes I would no be so generous, but we are not doing without.

• Love
Reactions: St. SteVen

Grailhunter

Jun 19, 2019
FARMINGTON
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
A few things to consider when discussing these topics.

17 “Do not think that I have come to abolish the Law or the Prophets; I have not come to abolish them but to fulfill them. 18 For truly I tell you, until heaven and earth disappear, not the smallest letter, not the least stroke of a pen, will by any means disappear from the Law until everything is accomplished. 19 Therefore anyone who sets aside one of the least of these commands and teaches others accordingly will be called least in the kingdom of heaven, but whoever practices and teaches these commands will be called great in the kingdom of heaven. 20 For I tell you that unless your righteousness surpasses that of the Pharisees and the teachers of the law, you will certainly not enter the kingdom of heaven. Matthew 5:17-20 But he warned them that unless they were more righteous than the Pharisees the Law is not going to help them.

When He said, “A new covenant,” He has made the first obsolete. But whatever is becoming obsolete and growing old is about to disappear. Hebrews 8:13

Are these two scriptures in contradiction?....No. The Mosaic Law will remain in force “until everything is accomplished.” And so it is the Mosaic Law is in force for the Jews and it is a great sacrilege to separate what people call the Ten Commandments from the 613 Mosaic Laws. But the Mosaic Law and the Old Covenant do not pertain to Christians we follow Christ in the New Covenant.

Secondly God never called the ten laws in Exodus chapter 20 Commandments. The ten Laws in Chapter 34:10-28 are the ones that God called Commandment and told Moses to right them on the Tablets of the Testimony. (The first two being destroyed.) The laws in Chapter 20 are summaries that are fully explained in the body of the Mosaic Law.

Grailhunter

Jun 19, 2019
FARMINGTON
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Sorry, that's false doctrine... Jews have to sacrifice animals to cover their sins
rather than come to Jesus and get born again and be washed in His Blood???

It's sad anybody would post this garbage! View attachment 42537

Ya know you do this a lot, do you have a reading comprehension problem? You seem to agree with what I am saying but object to it and be rude....rude and stupid is hard to tolerate.
I am saying the Jews are still under the Mosaic Law.
Are you saying they are not?
And I never said sacrificing anamals covered sins.

Last edited:

BlessedPeace

Aug 22, 2023
Bend
akiane.com
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
A few things to consider when discussing these topics.

17 “Do not think that I have come to abolish the Law or the Prophets; I have not come to abolish them but to fulfill them. 18 For truly I tell you, until heaven and earth disappear, not the smallest letter, not the least stroke of a pen, will by any means disappear from the Law until everything is accomplished. 19 Therefore anyone who sets aside one of the least of these commands and teaches others accordingly will be called least in the kingdom of heaven, but whoever practices and teaches these commands will be called great in the kingdom of heaven. 20 For I tell you that unless your righteousness surpasses that of the Pharisees and the teachers of the law, you will certainly not enter the kingdom of heaven. Matthew 5:17-20 But he warned them that unless they were more righteous than the Pharisees the Law is not going to help them.

When He said, “A new covenant,” He has made the first obsolete. But whatever is becoming obsolete and growing old is about to disappear. Hebrews 8:13

Are these two scriptures in contradiction?....No. The Mosaic Law will remain in force “until everything is accomplished.” And so it is the Mosaic Law is in force for the Jews and it is a great sacrilege to separate what people call the Ten Commandments from the 613 Mosaic Laws. But the Mosaic Law and the Old Covenant do not pertain to Christians we follow Christ in the New Covenant.

Secondly God never called the ten laws in Exodus chapter 20 Commandments. The ten Laws in Chapter 34:10-28 are the ones that God called Commandment and told Moses to right them on the Tablets of the Testimony. (The first two being destroyed.) The laws in Chapter 20 are summaries that are fully explained in the body of the Mosaic Law.
Fascinating how the import of that passage escapes you, Davey, Ronald, and others who will not,cannot understand the Sabbath predates God's laws given to Moses.

You shall be called least in the kingdom.

1 Corinthians 2 in that example you all afford is proven true.

Grailhunter

Jun 19, 2019
FARMINGTON
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Fascinating how the import of that passage escapes you, Davey, Ronald, and others who will not,cannot understand the Sabbath predates God's laws given to Moses.

You shall be called least in the kingdom.

1 Corinthians 2 in that example you all afford is proven true

Escapes me! LOL Logic man….brain on….

The whole Old Testament predates Christianity….should we give up Christianity and start sacrificing animals and selling our daughters as sex slaves and marry a couple dozen women.

There is a difference between observing the 7th day and the Sabbath. Genesis established the recognition of the 7th day….Saturday and the Mosaic Law defined the Sabbath and the process and restrictions involved with it. The word Sabbath does not occur in Genesis. Sabbath is a unigue religious process....

Now Christ and the Apostles observed the Sabbath during Christ’s ministry because they were still in the Old Covenant….but after the resurrection that day took priority over the Jewish Saturday Sabbath and the New Covenant was established….so if you can find an apostle after the resurrection defining a requirement to observe the Jewish Saturday Sabbath….you will surprise a lot of professors. And if they did require it, we would not be having this conversation….and likely the Christian day of worship would be on Saturday.

It is called a logical train of thought….get on board.

Last edited:
  • Haha
Reactions: BlessedPeace

Big Boy Johnson

Sep 28, 2023
North America
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
I am saying the Jews are still under the Mosaic Law.

They haven't followed the law of moses for a long long time, and even if they returned to it... it's meaningless as it cannot get them saved.

Any human being that wants to be right with God MUST come thru Jesus Christ, get born again, and walk in the New Covenant.

Grailhunter

Jun 19, 2019
FARMINGTON
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
They haven't followed the law of moses for a long long time, and even if they returned to it... it's meaningless as it cannot get them saved.

Any human being that wants to be right with God MUST come thru Jesus Christ, get born again, and walk in the New Covenant.

Correct on all points.