Keeping the Sabbath tells people Who you Worship

• Welcome to Christian Forums, a Christian Forum that recognizes that all Christians are a work in progress.

You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

BarneyFife

Dec 19, 2019
Central PA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Who we worship? Tied into creation?
The things created?

"Nature worship also called naturism or physiolatry is any of a variety of religious, spiritual and devotional practices that focus on the worship of the nature spirits considered to be behind the natural phenomena visible throughout nature...." - Wiki

/
You've got us confused with the tree huggers.

John 4
19The woman said to Him, “Sir, I perceive that You are a prophet. 20Our fathers worshiped on this mountain, and you Jews say that in Jerusalem is the place where one ought to worship.” 21Jesus said to her, “Woman, believe Me, the hour is coming when you will neither on this mountain, nor in Jerusalem, worship the Father. 22You worship what you do not know; we know what we worship, for salvation is of the Jews. 23But the hour is coming, and now is, when the true worshipers will worship the Father in spirit and truth; for the Father is seeking such to worship Him. 24God is Spirit, and those who worship Him must worship in spirit and truth.”

.Can you imagine how arrogant He must have sounded to her?
'
google-smiling-face-with-heart-shaped-eyes-960d-mysmiley-net.png

'

Reactions: St. SteVen

BarneyFife

Dec 19, 2019
Central PA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
John 14:15 says: "If you love Me, keep My commandments." It doesn't say anything about others knowing we serve the Lord by us keeping His commandments. Jesus said they'd know us by our love for one another.
Is serving the LORD different from loving the LORD?

I'm confused.

John 13:35 seems more to me like a statement about witness than general service to God.

What is it about the Ten Commandments that precludes having love for our fellow man?

Pitting John 13:35 against John 14:15 seems odd.

The latter seems to encapsulate the former, while the former subtracts from the latter.

I've never understood why people do this.

Do you think the "new commandment" Jesus gave in John 13:34 was new in terms of human history?

Because I think He was just trying to emphasize the need for them to shun loveless formalism.

Do you think worshiping God with others and resting for 24 hours a week is loveless formalism?

'

'

Rella ~ I am a woman

Jul 27, 2023
SW PA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Ah, I just noticed we're neighbors!.
'

'
Yep.... and you might be very close to relatives in that part of the commonwealth.

Long live Pennsyltucky which I, by happenstance, cannot be counted in. :(

For those of you wondering what I am talking about... check out Wikipedia

St. SteVen

Feb 5, 2023
Minneapolis
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Do you think the "new commandment" Jesus gave in John 13:34 was new in terms of human history?
That's an interesting question. Let's take a look see.
I can see a case for the first part (Love one another) being historical.
But what about the second part? Is there historical evidence of
anyone loving as Jesus loved us? If so, show me. Thanks.

John 13:34 NIV
“A new command I give you: Love one another.
As I have loved you, so you must love one another.

/

Hobie

Jun 11, 2009
South Florida
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
John 14:15 says: "If you love Me, keep My commandments." It doesn't say anything about others knowing we serve the Lord by us keeping His commandments. Jesus said they'd know us by our love for one another.
When they see you go to church to worship with your Bible and your whole family, it certainly does say something...

Hobie

Jun 11, 2009
South Florida
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Who we worship? Tied into creation?
The things created?

"Nature worship also called naturism or physiolatry is any of a variety of religious, spiritual and devotional practices that focus on the worship of the nature spirits considered to be behind the natural phenomena visible throughout nature...." - Wiki

/
'Creator' of the heavens and earth.... Creator deity - Wikipedia

St. SteVen

Feb 5, 2023
Minneapolis
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
A type that is no different than the Antitype doesn't make a very effective type.
That was probably easier to type than for me to read. - LOL

A little pushy today, aren't you? :p
Too much green tea perhaps.
Some claim there is no caffeine in green tea.
SERIOUSLY !!! ?????????

I heard that it makes a good anti-inflammatory.
So, swimming in it somehow seemed appropriate.
I do hurt all over.

/

BarneyFife

Dec 19, 2019
Central PA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
That was probably easier to type than for me to read. - LOL

Too much green tea perhaps.
Some claim there is no caffeine in green tea.
SERIOUSLY !!! ?????????

I heard that it makes a good anti-inflammatory.
So, swimming in it somehow seemed appropriate.
I do hurt all over.

/
NEWSTART, Dude.

John 10:10

'

'

rockytopva

Staff member
Dec 31, 2010
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
If you are keeping the Old Testament sabbath you have got some rules to hold up to!

32 And while the children of Israel were in the wilderness, they found a man that gathered sticks upon the sabbath day.

33 And they that found him gathering sticks brought him unto Moses and Aaron, and unto all the congregation.

34 And they put him in ward, because it was not declared what should be done to him.

35 And the Lord said unto Moses, The man shall be surely put to death: all the congregation shall stone him with stones without the camp. - Numbers 15

Last edited:

BarneyFife

Dec 19, 2019
Central PA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
If you are keeping the Old Testament sabbath you have got some rules to hold up to!

32 And while the children of Israel were in the wilderness, they found a man that gathered sticks upon the sabbath day.

33 And they that found him gathering sticks brought him unto Moses and Aaron, and unto all the congregation.

34 And they put him in ward, because it was not declared what should be done to him.

35 And the Lord said unto Moses, The man shall be surely put to death: all the congregation shall stone him with stones without the camp. - Numbers 15
We probably ought to go ahead and pile up some rocks in case anybody takes the LORD's name in vain or dishonors their parents, too, I guess.

On the other hand, we could just dispense with the other 9 commandments, as well.

I'm told by some who object to 4th commandment observance that the only things we need to concern ourselves with from "the law of Moses" are the items agreed upon at the Jerusalem Council.

'

'

Reactions: Phoneman777

Phoneman777

Jan 14, 2015
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Didn't Jesus come to do away with the old law?
"Think not I have come to destroy the law and the prophets. I have not come to destroy, but to fulfill".

The Sabbath is as relevant today as it was all the way back in the garden of Eden.