Knowing "Truth"

• Welcome to Christian Forums, a Christian Forum that recognizes that all Christians are a work in progress.

You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

marks

Oct 10, 2018
SoCal USA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Not to do "whatever you want."
Claiming as factual, assumed presumptions of what a Scripture means is a good example of using it wrong. ( ie. running to "Proof Texts" we have been taught to turn to and recite in order to justify our beliefs in certain 'doctrines.' )

Wouldn't that be just doing what you want, ie, with your doctrines?

Do you believe there is a given, certain meaning to each passage of Scripture?

Much love!
Mark

Marymog

Mar 7, 2017
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
No you aren't Ms Mog, I just referred to it, and you already know My kingdom is not of this world is Scripture, right. So what you are really doing is evident here I guess?
Hurrah.....You finally answered the question and you got it right. Jesus said that his kingdom is not of this world (John 18:36).

He DID NOT say that His church was not a worldly organization which is what @Willie T said in post #19 and of which you agreed with him on.

Scripture makes it clear that His Church is here on earth (a worldly organization) and that His kingdom is Heaven.....but I suspect you knew that already :rolleyes:

Bible Study Mary

Marymog

Mar 7, 2017
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Why you dont want the truth, you have itchy ears, you will be scratching them a long time here because no one is willing to lie for you.

Thank goodnes for a patient God...
Lol...soooo you don't want to try. That's ok.....I am Patient Mary after all :rolleyes:

Willie T

Heaven Sent
Staff member
Sep 14, 2017
St. Petersburg Florida
Faith
Christian
Country
United States

Much love!
Mark
"No", I do not. Perhaps some of them, but not all the "behavioral" things that many of us try to make LAW.

For instance, if "Go into all the world" meant the same thing to everyone, none of us would be here at home, sitting in our pews. If "Sell all you own, and give to the poor" meant the same thing to everyone, this forum wouldn't exist, and none of us would have electronic devices with which to connect to it.

Marymog

Mar 7, 2017
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
It seems you conflate Kosmou and Erets there, and also congregation has now become organization
Bible Study....I love it.

Kosmou is "world". John 18:36 uses the word Kosmou.

Erets is "earth" (or land). John 18:36 DOES NOT use the word erets.

Sooooo your point is???

I see no support for your theory that "congregation has now become organization" especially in relation to The Church spoken of in scripture. The Church is NEVER called a congregation of organization in Scripture.

Bible Study Mary

bbyrd009

Groper
Nov 30, 2016
Ute City, COLO
www.facebook.com
Faith
Christian
Country
United States Minor Outlying Islands
So my point is don't debate the Bible with Romans, Mary, not to be taken as a condemnation ok. Romans can be accepted too I guess right. And for all i know there might be valid distinctions in kingdom and church, too, even if I maybe don't agree with yours, no biggie. Why move boundary stones iow, Christianity and Catholicism are always going to be two completely diff perspectives imo. I was essentially a Catholic for like twenty years, in the Baptist "church"

Last edited:

marks

Oct 10, 2018
SoCal USA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
"No", I do not. Perhaps some of them, but not all the "behavioral" things that many of us try to make LAW.

For instance, if "Go into all the world" meant the same thing to everyone, none of us would be here at home, sitting in our pews. If "Sell all you own, and give to the poor" meant the same thing to everyone, this forum wouldn't exist, and none of us would have electronic devices with which to connect to it.
I think you are describing application, not the meaning of the texts.

But we don't dispute what the words, "God into all the world" mean, because otherwise you wouldn't be objecting. But because there is the tendency to apply God's instructions on a certain person, or to a certain group of people, in order to make it work, then we say things like, It means different things to different people. But the net result ends up saying that while it uses these words, those words don't mean what they mean.

It doesn't mean actually go, some will say, instead, pray, or pay, or whatever.

But the issue isn't answered, at least for me, by simply re-interpreting the words to mean something they don't mean, instead, we can accept the validity of the statements made, within the context of how and to whom they are made.

For instance . . . is anyone building an ark to be ready for the deluge? Collecting animals for it? Of course not. Because we all recognize that while God commanded the building of an ark, it was applicable to Noah, in his day.

There is no Law to those in Christ, other than the Law of Christ, that is, to live who He is in us.

Are we all to "go into all the world"? Or was that Jesus' command to the disciples who had gathered to hear Him? That is in fact who He said it to.

Much love!
Mark

Marymog

Mar 7, 2017
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Not so as far as I have seeing, sarcastic Mary should be more your title.
Got it.....no evidence to back up your statements....Thank you for your time.

Sarcastic mary

mjrhealth

Mar 15, 2009
Australia
Faith
Christian
Country
Australia
Got it.....no evidence to back up your statements....Thank you for your time.

Sarcastic mary
I could cover you in scripture you would still ignore it all, Your religion is your God, it is what you obey, as Jesus said you can only serve one master, you have chosen catholism, we choose Christ.

Joh 10:26 But ye believe not, because ye are not of my sheep, as I said unto you.
Joh 10:27 My sheep hear my voice, and I know them, and they follow me:
Joh 10:28 And I give unto them eternal life; and they shall never perish, neither shall any man pluck them out of my hand.

BARNEY BRIGHT

Oct 29, 2017
Thomaston Georgia
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
So, standing before us we have five different people (all Believers and all Bible students). They each hold a different view. And worse yet, they all espouse their view as though they, and they alone, have received this of the Lord.

Are we to believe one of them over the others? Or, perhaps NONE of them, but rather the man who humbly says "I believe this is what I have heard."?

To tell you the truth, I tend to discount anyone who stands and declares he is speaking something directly from God. Why? Because, standing right next to him (or making the very next post, to bring it home and keep it real) is yet another person claiming, "No!, it is ME who has been given the truth."

And in all this blustering, you hardly ever hear someone say. "I may have it wrong, but THIS is what I understand God to be saying."

I understand what you mean, but I have to believe the scriptures that say the way you will know truly who are Jehovah God people and his only begotten son Jesus Christ disciples is that they would have love among themselves. I honestly can't say that the people who belong to the main stream Christian churches(Christendom) to have love among themselves as Jesus Apostles and first century disciples did. It seem to me that somewhere during the first part of the second century the people started falling away from the truth. I think this is especially true when it comes to love for The True God And his Only-begotten Son. Those who say they follow Jesus Christ through the years have fought in wars in which Catholics kill Catholics and Baptists kill Baptists etc. I can't convince myself that when Catholics kill Catholics or Baptists kill Baptists that is showing love for each other. These are those who say they follow Jesus Christ. Would he want them killing each other if they his disciples. Is that What Jesus Christ taught his disciples to do, kill each other.

Reactions: Dave L

Marymog

Mar 7, 2017
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
I could cover you in scripture you would still ignore it all, Your religion is your God, it is what you obey, as Jesus said you can only serve one master, you have chosen catholism, we choose Christ.

Joh 10:26 But ye believe not, because ye are not of my sheep, as I said unto you.
Joh 10:27 My sheep hear my voice, and I know them, and they follow me:
Joh 10:28 And I give unto them eternal life; and they shall never perish, neither shall any man pluck them out of my hand.
Got it.....you STILL have no evidence to back up your statements....Thank you for your time.

Sarcastic mary

BARNEY BRIGHT

Oct 29, 2017
Thomaston Georgia
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Bible Study....I love it.

Kosmou is "world". John 18:36 uses the word Kosmou.

Erets is "earth" (or land). John 18:36 DOES NOT use the word erets.

Sooooo your point is???

I see no support for your theory that "congregation has now become organization" especially in relation to The Church spoken of in scripture. The Church is NEVER called a congregation of organization in Scripture.

Bible Study Mary

Yes i agree the word should be translated world there in John 18:36. It's not in anyway to be translated congregation or organization. It would be more accurate I think to translate it, world of wicked mankind. I think that may go along with the context

stunnedbygrace

Aug 18, 2018
USA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Why do "some people" believe that a person must belong and 'be accepted' by a church to be 'saved'!! LOL
Interesting question. Paul didn't consult with any man for...was it 4 years? No man put their stamp of approval on Paul during that time, but he had the Holy Spirit and great revelations.
I think part of our dying to live is dying to men's approval. They will mostly not approve of us.

stunnedbygrace

Aug 18, 2018
USA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States

Much love!
Mark

That's tricky. Define murder.

Willie T

Heaven Sent
Staff member
Sep 14, 2017
St. Petersburg Florida
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Hurrah.....You finally answered the question and you got it right. Jesus said that his kingdom is not of this world (John 18:36).

He DID NOT say that His church was not a worldly organization which is what @Willie T said in post #19 and of which you agreed with him on.

Scripture makes it clear that His Church is here on earth (a worldly organization) and that His kingdom is Heaven.....but I suspect you knew that already :rolleyes:

Bible Study Mary
He also "didn't say" His kingdom is three kangaroos and a yo-yo. So, does that, then, give us liberty to decide His kingdom is three kangaroos and a yo-yo? "No", we are still constrained to say it is only what He DID say it was.... "not of this world."

Reactions: Helen