Labor To Enter Into What Rest?

• Welcome to Christian Forums, a Christian Forum that recognizes that all Christians are a work in progress.

You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

charity

Nov 26, 2017
UK
Faith
Christian
Country
United Kingdom
I guess the Israelites who wandered the desert are all lost?
Hello @Phoneman777,

They were walking in obedience to God's known will for them, as part of the covenant made between them (as the chosen nation) and their God at Sinai.
Paul could say of them, following Christ's all-sufficient sacrifice :-

'Brethren, my heart's desire and prayer to God for Israel is,
that they might be saved.
For I bear them record that they have a zeal of God,
but not according to knowledge.
For they being ignorant of God's righteousness,
and going about to establish their own righteousness,
have not submitted themselves unto the righteousness of God.
For Christ is the end of the law for righteousness
to every one that believeth.'

In Christ Jesus
Chris

Reactions: Phoneman777

charity

Nov 26, 2017
UK
Faith
Christian
Country
United Kingdom
In Hebrews 4:9, believers in Christ were told that there remains a Sabbath rest unto the people of God, and in v.11 that they were to labor to enter into that rest.

What was it/ is it? and how were they/ are we to labour to enter into it?
'There remaineth therefore
a rest to the people of God.
For he that is entered into his rest,

he also hath ceased from his own works,
as God did from his.

Let us labour therefore to enter into that rest,
lest any man fall after the same example of unbelief.'

(Hebrews 4:9-11)

Hello @Hidden In Him,

You have received a good number of replies, which I have not read, so I could be repeating what others have already said. However, those who are being addressed are Hebrew believers, to whom this would not have to be explained. My thoughts go to two passages of Scripture in relation to this, firstly, Romans 10 1-4:-

'Brethren, my heart's desire and prayer to God for Israel is,
that they might be saved.
For I bear them record that they have a zeal of God,
but not according to knowledge.
For they being ignorant of God's righteousness,
and going about to establish their own righteousness,
have not submitted themselves unto the righteousness of God.
For Christ is the end of the law for righteousness
to every one that believeth.'

* and, Paul's own testimony, in Philippians 3:1-11:-

'Finally, my brethren, rejoice in the Lord.
To write the same things to you, to me indeed is not grievous,
.. but for you it is safe.
.... Beware of dogs,
...... beware of evil workers,
........ beware of the concision.
For we are the circumcision, which worship God in the spirit,
and rejoice in Christ Jesus, and have no confidence in the flesh.

Though I might also have confidence in the flesh.
If any other man thinketh that he hath whereof he might trust in the flesh,
I more:-

- Circumcised the eighth day, of the stock of Israel,
- of the tribe of Benjamin, an Hebrew of the Hebrews;
- as touching the law, a Pharisee;
- Concerning zeal, persecuting the church;
- touching the righteousness which is in the law, blameless.
But what things were gain to me, those I counted loss for Christ.
.. Yea doubtless, and I count all things but loss
.... for the excellency of the knowledge of Christ Jesus my Lord:
...... for whom I have suffered the loss of all things,
........ and do count them but dung,
.......... that I may win Christ,
............ And be found in Him,
.............. not having mine own righteousness, which is of the law,
................ but that which is through the faith of Christ,
.................. the righteousness which is of God by faith:
That I may know Him,
and the power of His resurrection,
and the fellowship of His sufferings,
being made conformable unto His death;
If by any means I might attain unto the resurrection of the dead.'

* These references answer the questions of your OP, I believe. Paul, as a Hebrew himself, understood the danger of seeking after ones own righteousness, instead of acknowledging and accepting the righteousness which is of God, by faith.

Praise God!

In Christ Jesus
Chris

logabe

Aug 28, 2008
Where does scripture say there is a sample of the kingdom you call a millennium?

When speaking of the Kingdom, I like to understand it in terms of God's progression in the ages of time. The Kingdom was here in the Old Testament when the Spirit came upon Abraham, Isaac, & many more. It was later established in Moses (Exodus 19:5-6) but that covenant was about what they could do for God and we know how that came out. But none the less, God aloud their opportunity to go forward, so he could show the future generations the mistakes they had made by leaning on their own understanding and not on the understanding of the Spirit. This was called the Passover age, where people believed on the spotless Lamb of God.

Then about 1500 years later comes the Pentecostal age (Acts 2:1-4). We have now progressed in the Kingdom by not only having the Spirit upon us, but also having the Spirit within us. That is where we are @ today. We have an earnest of the Spirit (2 Corinthians 5:5 and Ephesians 1:14) a taste or down payment of the Spirit @ Pentecost. Just as the church failed in Passover to be a Kingdom of Priest, the church has also failed to be a Kingdom of Priest in Pentecost.

What we are waiting for today is the fulness of the Spirit in the Tabernacle Age, where we will be manifested Sons of God upon this earth (Romans 8:19) to do what the Pentecostal and Passover Ages couldn't do. We will go into all the world and teach all nations in the name of Jesus and they will listen. In other words, the Tabernacle anointing will have the power to do what the Lord has commanded us to do (Matthew 28:19-20). Why? Because we will have the fulness of the Spirit and not just an earnest. Whole nations will come into the Kingdom of God and all the prophesy that was spoken by the prophets shall come to pass (Isa. 2:2-4), (Zechariah 2:11), (Micah 4:1-3) and many more. We are @ the end of the sixth day and we are waiting for the seventh day or the Great Sabbath Day that will last 1000 years (2nd Peter 3:8) so we can enter into the fulness of God's rest. What a Plan?

Logabe

Reactions: Dave L
D

Dave L

When speaking of the Kingdom, I like to understand it in terms of God's progression in the ages of time. The Kingdom was here in the Old Testament when the Spirit came upon Abraham, Isaac, & many more. It was later established in Moses (Exodus 19:5-6) but that covenant was about what they could do for God and we know how that came out. But none the less, God aloud their opportunity to go forward, so he could show the future generations the mistakes they had made by leaning on their own understanding and not on the understanding of the Spirit. This was called the Passover age, where people believed on the spotless Lamb of God.

Then about 1500 years later comes the Pentecostal age (Acts 2:1-4). We have now progressed in the Kingdom by not only having the Spirit upon us, but also having the Spirit within us. That is where we are @ today. We have an earnest of the Spirit (2 Corinthians 5:5 and Ephesians 1:14) a taste or down payment of the Spirit @ Pentecost. Just as the church failed in Passover to be a Kingdom of Priest, the church has also failed to be a Kingdom of Priest in Pentecost.

What we are waiting for today is the fulness of the Spirit in the Tabernacle Age, where we will be manifested Sons of God upon this earth (Romans 8:19) to do what the Pentecostal and Passover Ages couldn't do. We will go into all the world and teach all nations in the name of Jesus and they will listen. In other words, the Tabernacle anointing will have the power to do what the Lord has commanded us to do (Matthew 28:19-20). Why? Because we will have the fulness of the Spirit and not just an earnest. Whole nations will come into the Kingdom of God and all the prophesy that was spoken by the prophets shall come to pass (Isa. 2:2-4), (Zechariah 2:11), (Micah 4:1-3) and many more. We are @ the end of the sixth day and we are waiting for the seventh day or the Great Sabbath Day that will last 1000 years (2nd Peter 3:8) so we can enter into the fulness of God's rest. What a Plan?

Logabe
The New Heavens and Earth signal the restoration of Israel (the resurrection from the dead of all believers).

marks

Oct 10, 2018
SoCal USA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
If you had the truth, you would not need say anything more than that.
More impeachment without contribution.

I've gained over the years by my online debates with those who disagree with me. I really enjoy debating with smart people who can conduct a reasoned debate who hold viewpoints opposing mine. It tests my views, and sometimes I've changed them. It keeps me sharp.

I am amazed at the sheer volume of personal attacks against me on this forum. Not so much fun. Much more fun if someone will actually address my arguments with an actual refutation, not just handfuls of fallacies.

It's actually disappointing. I came here hoping for something better.

Much love!
Mark

Last edited:
D

Dave L

I've gained over the years by my online debates with those who disagree with me. I really enjoy debating with smart people who can conduct a reasoned debate who hold viewpoints opposing mine. It tests my views, and sometimes I've changed them. It keeps me sharp.

I am amazed at the sheer volume of person attacks against me on this forum. Not so much fun. Much more fun if someone will actually address my arguments with an actual refutation, not just handfuls of fallacies.

Much love!
Mark
If your motive for being here is debate, it explains a lot.

marks

Oct 10, 2018
SoCal USA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
If your motive for being here is debate, it explains a lot.

You can look at the Forums I frequent to see clearly why I am here.

And yes, the Debate Forum is one of them.

Best case scenario, is to discuss Scriptures with those who hold to to an Historical Grammatical Hermenuetic. That's how we can actually know what God was saying.

Second best scenario is to discuss Scriptures with those who wish to discuss them from any view. And a debate format is a spectacular way to do that. Especially considering the heavily oppositional personalities present.

Debate is also an effective format it putting ideas to the test.

If you wish to marginalize me because I enjoy debate, well, what can I say? It's yet another way to avoid refuting my assertions.

You've supplied yet another example. You've plucked my words of "debate" as if it shows something wrong with me, and then conveniently avoided the actual meat of what I wrote.

Maybe that explains a lot!

And btw, do you disapprove of debate?

Much love!
Mark

D

Dave L

You can look at the Forums I frequent to see clearly why I am here.

And yes, the Debate Forum is one of them.

Best case scenario, is to discuss Scriptures with those who hold to to an Historical Grammatical Hermenuetic. That's how we can actually know what God was saying.

Second best scenario is to discuss Scriptures with those who wish to discuss them from any view. And a debate format is a spectacular way to do that. Especially considering the heavily oppositional personalities present.

Debate is also an effective format it putting ideas to the test.

If you wish to marginalize me because I enjoy debate, well, what can I say? It's yet another way to avoid refuting my assertions.

You've supplied yet another example. You've plucked my words of "debate" as if it shows something wrong with me, and then conveniently avoided the actual meat of what I wrote.

Maybe that explains a lot!

And btw, do you disapprove of debate?

Much love!
Mark
Debate is nothing more than lust for power.

Ezra

Dec 27, 2018
Missouri
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
But this is not an easy place to enter.
we make it hard we get saved grow in grace and knowledge the hard part we make our own laws do do do dont dont dont . we rest in the fact jesus paid it all strong emphasis on ALL we do this by.............. FAITH .but we so like to help him out.. dont get me wrong we have responsibility the Bible says
2 Peter 1:3

“According as his divine power hath given unto us all things that pertain unto life and godliness, through the knowledge of him that hath called us to glory and virtue:” this may break the golden cow ...:oops:

Hidden In Him

May 10, 2018
Lafayette, LA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States

I am amazed at the sheer volume of person attacks against me on this forum. Not so much fun. Much more fun if someone will actually address my arguments with an actual refutation, not just handfuls of fallacies.

Much love!
Mark

Mark, I agree with you wholeheartedly on this post, and thought it needed to be affirmed. Shudder to think that CF is actually a better forum when it comes to debate, but I've been thoroughly disappointed with ChristianityBoard as of late when it comes to scriptural debate myself. The good thing about this place is/was the community spirit, but the enemy has worked overtime to dismantle that pretty badly.

I still call this place my home, so I welcome newer members like yourself who understand what theological exchanges are supposed to be like between members. But without naming names, nearly all my time spent in debate here these days ends up being a waste of time, and not that I'm expecting to be heard, but many times those who engage you end up offering you NOTHING of value...

I can at least recommend a few members here I know you can usually count on to give you some decent, informative answers without getting abusively insulting at the drop of a hat: Enoch, Brakelite (SDA), Naomi25, 1st CenturyLady, myself... There are several other less active members who can also occasionally contribute good information sometimes, but this post of yours unfortunately pins the tail on the donkey when it comes to several of the most active members here. They will deny they are even "debating," and I suppose that's true because it isn't actually informative exchange of interpretation on whatever passage is at hand. It's just contradictions, and then staunchly standing behind those contradictions to the death.

If you would, notify me by personal message if you know of any forum/forums where the debates are a little more informative and polite. Not sure if it is the enemy or not, but I have had several urges lately to give this place up. It unfortunately does me almost no good these days (and I'm not happy to be saying it, as I have several good friends here).

Blessings in Christ,
Hidden In Him

Reactions: marks

marks

Oct 10, 2018
SoCal USA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Your motive is off if you are here to debate.
Let's look at all my post, shall we? Or not. Why change now?

And the endless denigrations? What do you call that?

Much love!
Mark

bbyrd009

Groper
Nov 30, 2016
Ute City, COLO
www.facebook.com
Faith
Christian
Country
United States Minor Outlying Islands
still think you're having a convo with Dave, huh?
Best case scenario, is to discuss Scriptures with those who hold to to an Historical Grammatical Hermenuetic. That's how we can actually know what God was saying
um, fwiw that may not be the best case that it appears, strange as that might sound. You could assume other perspectives just to see where they go maybe. Imo that is the worst one, but I know that is not easy to immediately connect with "hiding wisdom from the wise"