Latter Day Saints Site Falsely Teaches Works Salvation

• Welcome to Christian Forums, a Christian Forum that recognizes that all Christians are a work in progress.

You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Keturah

Dec 19, 2022
Here
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
The Mormon website says the one must perform Mormon essential rites to be saved, which is false! I say these words with kindness and out of love for the truth. The Church of Latter Day Saints website states that one must be a Mormon in order to gain salvation. Specifically, they falsely say that one must participate in what this Mormon website describes as "essential rites" which is false works salvation. It doesn't matter if someone performs the works of a Mormon or a Jehovah's Witness, only faith alone saves us. And all people will have faith alone in Christ and go to Heaven.

Source: Latter-day Saint Beliefs About Heaven

Start quote

Latter-day Saint teachings state that where we go after this life depends primarily upon the degree to which we accept and follow Jesus Christ, as well as on the desires of our hearts and how we translate those desires into works. In addition, our destination after this life depends on whether we participate in the essential rites (such as baptism) that aid us in the process of repentance, progression and sanctification.

End quote

The degree to which we follow Jesus Christ? That's Lordship Salvation and that's false! Jesus said that a person can have the smallest amount of faith, the size of a mustard seed, and the belief of a child and still be saved my friend. It doesn't matter how much a person believes, just having faith alone in Jesus Christ, even in the smallest amount, is enough.

Ephesians 2:8 For by grace you have been saved through faith. And this is not your own doing; it is the gift of God,

We know that this is not our own doing, not of our own works. Truly, everyone will accept this grace and go to Heaven. Everyone will become believers in Christ, to the same equal degree, because there's absolutely nothing that we can do to make ourselves righteous by our own works. It's the gift of God. Can a person accept the gift of God more than another person? Can a person accept that gift any less? No! Accepting a gift = accepting a gift. It's equal, equivalent.

Then they wrongly state that people must translate their desires into works. That is wrong, my friend.

Galatians 2:16 Yet we know that a person is not justified by works of the law but through faith in Jesus Christ, so we also have believed in Christ Jesus, in order to be justified by faith in Christ and not by works of the law, because by works of the law no one will be justified.

As is written, we are not justified by works of the law, literally. In terms of being saved by faith alone, faith is the seed that saves us. Only with the Holy Spirit inside of us are we capable of performing good works. Because without being counted as righteous before, then it's impossible for us to do anything good. The only criteria for a person to go to Heaven is to be made clean. And the only way to be made clean is by the Blood of Christ. Therefore, works salvation takes away from Christ, it goes against Jesus' teachings!

Romans 5:1 Therefore, since we have been justified by faith, we have peace with God through our Lord Jesus Christ.

In terms of the "essential rites" the only thing that's essential is having faith alone in Our Lord Jesus Christ to be saved. Baptism is a metaphor for that simple belief. Having a physical water baptism is not necessary at all for salvation. Because everyone who has ever believed in Jesus Christ is already baptized spiritually by the Holy Ghost dwelling inside of them!

Repentance is defined as the recognition of sins, and thus recognizing the need for a savior. Repentance is not works salvation like turning from your sins, or following the law, because we know that by the Law, nobody is saved. It's only by God's grace that we gain permanent life. Because we were all disobedient, we all sinned, only God is good, only Jesus Christ is perfect, free of sin. So there's no works salvation process of repentance at all.

Romans 4:5 And to the one who does not work but believes in him who justifies the ungodly, his faith is counted as righteousness,

Then they mention progression and sanctification. We are already sanctified by Christ when we believe. We don't need any fancy works salvation sanctification rites to save us! We have faith in Jesus and therefore are permanently saved. Period. There's no progression when it comes to salvation. The only way a person can make progress is by having the Holy Spirit dwelling inside of them.

Therefore, the Holy Ghost blesses you my friend. It's important to be strict when it comes to salvation, because as we know, Jesus is the only way to Heaven! Nobody else can save us, no one else leads to Heaven. Only Christ is good, only in the Lord is there life. Amen.

Hebrews 11:6 And without faith it is impossible to please him, for whoever would draw near to God must believe that he exists and that he rewards those who seek him.

Post commentary. This message was originally created for Katzpur on the City Data Christian forum. However, I believe it’s useful in general for rebuking the heresy that is works salvation, so I’ve made it into it’s own article.

Truly I say to you all, it doesn’t matter if a person calls themselves a man-made title like Mormon or a Jehovah’s Witness, as long as that person believes in Jesus Christ with faith alone then they are permanently saved. The problem is when people falsely spread works salvation, which takes away the glory and honor that Our Lord Christ Jesus deserves!

When someone wrongly says that you must perform good works to be saved, they say that the sacrifice of Christ on the cross was not sufficient. As believers, we know that is false, of course. Jesus’ blood is indeed sufficient! And all people will believe in Him and be washed of all their sins.

Philippians 3:9 And be found in him, not having a righteousness of my own that comes from the law, but that which comes through faith in Christ
What made me scratch then shake my head was these 3
1. premortal being..can someone explain?
2. Mortal being, I got this, living life viva loca.
3 postmortal.

What an article but I'm sure all it's contents will be denied here !

Jane_Doe22

Jul 29, 2018
Mid-west USA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
It looks like some people are in denial about what their churches actually teach. Yes, it is official LDS doctrine the matters, and unfortunately the Mormons have some very serious false doctrines as well as a false gospel.
You love to play that card of "I Enoch111, whom have never actually even stepped foot into a LDS Christian church building, know what they believe and teach better then actual members whom have studied and lived this for decades"

I'm sorry, but no.

Jane_Doe22

Jul 29, 2018
Mid-west USA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Hmm, well communists have rich among them that live on hills. I didn't say it had to apply to a country, just a church, as the bible so clearly points out.
We also live in this world. You critiquing me because I earn a different salary (from a secular company) than my literal neighbor (whom also works as a secular company) doesn't make sense. Loving your neighbor is about the heart- I am there for her. I'm there to help out whatever needs done, praying, listening to your woes, supporting you on your journey, etc. The Good Samaritan cares for another, regardless of pay checks.

dev553344

Jul 14, 2020
USA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
You love to play that card of "I Enoch111, whom have never actually even stepped foot into a LDS Christian church building, know what they believe and teach better then actual members whom have studied and lived this for decades"

I'm sorry, but no.
Yes it has been a refreshing conversation to talk to you Jane. Someday perhaps the Mormon church will live in common that all is distributed according to the needs of the members. Till then we have the sinners prayer, which I say daily.

Acts 2:44 Now all who believed were together, and had all things in common, 45 and sold their possessions and goods, and divided them among all, as anyone had need.

Jane_Doe22

Jul 29, 2018
Mid-west USA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
What made me scratch then shake my head was these 3
1. premortal being..can someone explain?
2. Mortal being, I got this, living life viva loca.
3 postmortal.

What an article but I'm sure all it's contents will be denied here !
Actual "Mormon" here:

Jeremiah 1:5 says "Before I formed you in the womb, I knew you. Before you were born, I sanctified you. I have appointed you a prophet to the nations.” Whereas most other churches interpret this figuratively, LDS Christians believe it literally: God literally knew Jeremiah before he was in his mother's womb. On the day Jeremiah was born, his body was 1 day old, but his spirit was already much older (much more than 9 months too). His spirit preexisted before then, and was then physically born into his body. Jeremiah then physically died, and will later be resurrected (no longer mortal, so you can call it 'post mortal').

All of this applies to Jeremiah and everyone else too.

dev553344

Jul 14, 2020
USA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
This is from the LDS church website:

"In the doctrine of The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints, the terms “saved” and “salvation” have various meanings. As used in Romans 10:9–10, the words “saved” and “salvation” signify a covenant relationship with Jesus Christ. Through this covenant relationship, followers of Christ are assured salvation from the eternal consequences of sin if they are obedient. “Salvation” and “saved” are also used in the scriptures in other contexts with several different meanings." Salvation

dev553344

Jul 14, 2020
USA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
And this is also from that same website:

"Salvation from Sin. To be cleansed from sin through the Savior’s Atonement, an individual must exercise faith in Jesus Christ, repent, be baptized, and receive the gift of the Holy Ghost (see Acts 2:37–38). Those who have been baptized and have received the Holy Ghost through the proper priesthood authority have been conditionally saved from sin. In this sense, salvation is conditional, depending on an individual’s continuing in faithfulness, or enduring to the end in keeping the commandments of God" Salvation

Jane_Doe22

Jul 29, 2018
Mid-west USA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
This is from the LDS church website:

"In the doctrine of The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints, the terms “saved” and “salvation” have various meanings. As used in Romans 10:9–10, the words “saved” and “salvation” signify a covenant relationship with Jesus Christ. Through this covenant relationship, followers of Christ are assured salvation from the eternal consequences of sin if they are obedient. “Salvation” and “saved” are also used in the scriptures in other contexts with several different meanings." Salvation

And this is also from that same website:

"Salvation from Sin. To be cleansed from sin through the Savior’s Atonement, an individual must exercise faith in Jesus Christ, repent, be baptized, and receive the gift of the Holy Ghost (see Acts 2:37–38). Those who have been baptized and have received the Holy Ghost through the proper priesthood authority have been conditionally saved from sin. In this sense, salvation is conditional, depending on an individual’s continuing in faithfulness, or enduring to the end in keeping the commandments of God" Salvation

Also, when doing interfaith dialogue, Protestants tend to divide a disciple of Christ’s walk into “salvation” and “sanctification”. LDS Christians don’t devide things this way, so that causes a lot of confusion in interfaith dialogue.

Reactions: dev553344

dev553344

Jul 14, 2020
USA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Also, when doing interfaith dialogue, Protestants tend to divide a disciple of Christ’s walk into “salvation” and “sanctification”. LDS Christians don’t devide things this way, so that causes a lot of confusion in interfaith dialogue.
Well I don't believe obeying the commandments (the 10 commandments) or covenants will guarantee us salvation from Christ. I believe in growing to love God and others thru providing works meet for repentance. Helping the poor, serving others, attending church, sharing God with others, etc. Doing these things we get to know God, We grow in love for him and others once again. but it never has guaranteed my salvation as the LDS church teaches. We are saved by faith not by works lest any man should boast. What does that mean? That means that no works will guarantee our salvation. But it is well or good to provide works meet for repentance. Then we might be desirable to be saved by Christ.

dev553344

Jul 14, 2020
USA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
I think if you understand the following you understand legalism and how it relates to some churches. Are we perfect in obeying the law?

Matthew 19:16-22 Now behold, one came and said to Him, “Good Teacher, what good thing shall I do that I may have eternal life?” So He said to him, “Why do you call Me good? No one is good but One, that is, God. But if you want to enter into life, keep the commandments.” He said to Him, “Which ones?” Jesus said, “‘You shall not murder,’ ‘You shall not commit adultery,’ ‘You shall not steal,’ ‘You shall not bear false witness,’ ‘Honor your father and your mother,’ and, ‘You shall love your neighbor as yourself.’” The young man said to Him, “All these things I have kept from my youth. What do I still lack?” Jesus said to him, “If you want to be perfect, go, sell what you have and give to the poor, and you will have treasure in heaven; and come, follow Me.” But when the young man heard that saying, he went away sorrowful, for he had great possessions.

dev553344

Jul 14, 2020
USA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
The disciples understood this concept and wondered who then can be saved by works of obeying the commandments after the atonement of Christ:

Matthew 19:23 Then said Jesus unto his disciples, Verily I say unto you, That a rich man shall hardly enter into the kingdom of heaven.

24 And again I say unto you, It is easier for a camel to go through the eye of a needle, than for a rich man to enter into the kingdom of God.

25 When his disciples heard it, they were exceedingly amazed, saying, Who then can be saved?

dev553344

Jul 14, 2020
USA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Then God answers and says with men it is impossible, and leaves it up to God to judge:

Matthew 19:26 But Jesus beheld them, and said unto them, With men this is impossible; but with God all things are possible.

In other words nothing men can do will guarantee their salvation. Only God can do that.

Jane_Doe22

Jul 29, 2018
Mid-west USA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Well I don't believe obeying the commandments (the 10 commandments) or covenants will guarantee us salvation from Christ. I believe in growing to love God and others thru providing works meet for repentance. Helping the poor, serving others, attending church, sharing God with others, etc. Doing these things we get to know God, We grow in love for him and others once again. but it never has guaranteed my salvation as the LDS church teaches. We are saved by faith not by works lest any man should boast. What does that mean? That means that no works will guarantee our salvation. But it is well or good to provide works meet for repentance. Then we might be desirable to be saved by Christ.
<Responding both to this and your later posts>

Devin: NO one is saved because they kept the commandments. The end. All commandments are kept after a person comes to love Christ & have faith in Him. Striving to follow Christ is not legalism nor trying to "earn" salvation.

Protestant Christians divide a disciple's walk into two parts: salvation & snafication. They have alter calls- "come down if the Lord has touched your heart and we shall rejoice in your salvation!". The "salvation" box is checked- it's a discrete event that you can mark on your calendar: oh "Jan 14 2004 I was saved!". There's entire debates within Protestantism that declare whether or not that box can ever be unchecked. And Protestants do teach that you should keep the commandments- you should strive to be truthful, chaste, filled with love, etc.

LDS Christians are not Protestant. You won't find a check box to say "and now my salvation is guaranteed", because we don't approach things that way. The whole relationship with Christ (salvation+sanctification) is approached as one whole rather than two parts. Discipleship of Christ is about that relationship, continually nurtured and growing ever brighter. Teaching more about having faith, while also teaching other things too. Like my adulterer friend- she already knew Christ before her affair, but through her journey she grew much closer to Him. I cannot mark one day on the calendar I loved Christ- I love Him more and more each day. And if anyone doubts that, look at me- look at the fruit. I am not remotely perfect, but His good fruit shines through.

Reactions: dev553344

dev553344

Jul 14, 2020
USA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
<Responding both to this and your later posts>

Devin: NO one is saved because they kept the commandments. The end. All commandments are kept after a person comes to love Christ & have faith in Him. Striving to follow Christ is not legalism nor trying to "earn" salvation.

Protestant Christians divide a disciple's walk into two parts: salvation & snafication. They have alter calls- "come down if the Lord has touched your heart and we shall rejoice in your salvation!". The "salvation" box is checked- it's a discrete event that you can mark on your calendar: oh "Jan 14 2004 I was saved!". There's entire debates within Protestantism that declare whether or not that box can ever be unchecked. And Protestants do teach that you should keep the commandments- you should strive to be truthful, chaste, filled with love, etc.

LDS Christians are not Protestant. You won't find a check box to say "and now my salvation is guaranteed", because we don't approach things that way. The whole relationship with Christ (salvation+sanctification) is approached as one whole rather than two parts. Discipleship of Christ is about that relationship, continually nurtured and growing ever brighter. Teaching more about having faith, while also teaching other things too. Like my adulterer friend- she already knew Christ before her affair, but through her journey she grew much closer to Him. I cannot mark one day on the calendar I loved Christ- I love Him more and more each day. And if anyone doubts that, look at me- look at the fruit. I am not remotely perfect, but His good fruit shines through.
OK, but that's not what the LDS church teaches, they believe that their salvation is conditional in obeying the commandments: See post #49:

"Those who have been baptized and have received the Holy Ghost through the proper priesthood authority have been conditionally saved from sin. In this sense, salvation is conditional, depending on an individual’s continuing in faithfulness, or enduring to the end in keeping the commandments of God" Salvation

Which misses the whole point of my posts #53 and 54 that no work will guarantee our salvation unless we are perfect. We are all sinners in other words and in need of mercy. Have you sold your possessions and gave them to the poor? If not then your not saved by obeying the commandments. Post #53 and 54 make that much clear.

I'm not teaching to not obey the commandments. I'm simply dismissing the Mormon idea that enduring to the end in keeping the commandments of God is conditional salvation. It is something that the Mormons sell to their members as if God has made covenants with them to that effect.

And for me to believe that I would have to believe your prophets and that they accurately received this revelation from God. That obeying the commandments and entering into your covenants leads to salvation. And then I would have to do as Jesus instructed and sell all my possessions and give them to the poor.

The problem for me is that I see that is not inline with the teaching of salvation by grace thru faith as taught in the bible. In fact many points of the bible are circumvented by Mormon teachings, like marriage in heaven. So what am I to think?

Jane_Doe22

Jul 29, 2018
Mid-west USA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
OK, but that's not what the LDS church teaches, they believe that their salvation is conditional in obeying the commandments: See post #49:

"Those who have been baptized and have received the Holy Ghost through the proper priesthood authority have been conditionally saved from sin. In this sense, salvation is conditional, depending on an individual’s continuing in faithfulness, or enduring to the end in keeping the commandments of God" Salvation

Which misses the whole point of my posts #53 and 54 that no work will guarantee our salvation unless we are perfect. We are all sinners in other words and in need of mercy. Have you sold your possessions and gave them to the poor? If not then your not saved by obeying the commandments. Post #53 and 54 make that much clear.

I'm not teaching to not obey the commandments. I'm simply dismissing the Mormon idea that enduring to the end in keeping the commandments of God is conditional salvation. It is something that the Mormons sell to their members as if God has made covenants with them to that effect.

And for me to believe that I would have to believe your prophets and that they accurately received this revelation from God. That obeying the commandments and entering into your covenants leads to salvation. And then I would have to do as Jesus instructed and sell all my possessions and give them to the poor.

The problem for me is that I see that is not inline with the teaching of salvation by grace thru faith as taught in the bible. In fact many points of the bible are circumvented by Mormon teachings, like marriage in heaven. So what am I to think?
LDS Christians aren’t Once Saved Always Saved. I make no apologies for that. If you wish for that theology, I recommend you join one of those Protestant groups.

dev553344

Jul 14, 2020
USA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
LDS Christians aren’t Once Saved Always Saved. I make no apologies for that. If you wish for that theology, I recommend you join one of those Protestant groups.
I make no claims to anyone's salvation, Mormon Catholic or protestant. In fact I leave the judging up to God as I always have. I don't tell people I'm saved.

But I think I made my point and the information from the LDS website supports what I've said. There is some legalism in the Mormon teachings. Which is not supported by the bible.

dev553344

Jul 14, 2020
USA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
I think what I got out of this, is that Jesus says he will save you if you obey the commandments perfectly. But I honestly don't see Mormons or anyone else doing that. So why are they not teaching to live perfectly to be saved by God? Then it wouldn't be legalism.

dev553344

Jul 14, 2020
USA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
I did find this on the LDS website related to is being rich a sin:

"King Benjamin spoke to “the poor, … all you who deny the beggar, because ye have not; I would that ye say in your hearts that: I give not because I have not, but if I had I would give. And now, if ye say this in your hearts ye remain guiltless, otherwise ye are condemned; and your condemnation is just for ye covet that which ye have not received” (Mosiah 4:24–25)."

"The key is to avoid coveting—the loving of money. We can love money just as much when we don’t have it as when we do. And evil comes into the world not only through those who have wealth and use it selfishly or dishonestly, but also through those who do not have it and yet covet it. Perhaps this is why the Lord has shown us glimpses of the kind of society He wishes us to achieve. In Zion, there are neither rich nor poor (see 4 Ne. 1:3)."

Questions and Answers