LAW IS NEITHER OBEYED DISOBEYED NOR BROKEN / AN EXISTENTIAL ONTOLOGICAL DISPROOF OF LAW

• Welcome to Christian Forums, a Christian Forum that recognizes that all Christians are a work in progress.

You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Pisteuo

Jul 31, 2017
Ozarks
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
ha :)
i dont talk irl tho, maybe ten words a day, except to little kids. Not that i wouldnt like to, but adults dont make sense to me, and i dont make sense to them, so i am kind of like the village idiot i guess, pretty much like here? and that works fine for me
You are selling yourself short. I understand what you mean though. I guess I’ll give up the dream of a summit with yourself, MB, Esaias, E.B., and old WII.

Reactions: amadeus

Duane Clinton Meehan

Nov 18, 2019
Lebanon, KY
Faith
Other Faith
Country
United States
I suppose if you or I had made over 27000 posts here (this forum) and countless posts on a couple of other forums I know of we would be abbreviating repetitive posts too.
Yes, wow, if I noticed that 27,000 figure it didn't sink-in. I am going to study very hard so that I can write to 009 entirely in abbreviation! zzix is my abr. for 009, z for zero, ix is a Roman nine, then, I will be totally cool...

Like: IMO zzix prolly abr irl...or, irl zzix prolly imo abr

Last edited:

amadeus

Jan 26, 2008
Oklahoma
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
I do not recall seeing My Fair Lady. Yes, I think I have seen two versions of the piece of cinema entitled Pygmalion; the latest with Leslie Howard. He appears to have been primarily concerned with identifying where precisely, geographically, every speaker he encountered was from in the British Isles; I do not remember him being concerned with word meaning.
He was studying the language as it was spoken. When he dealt with the young lady, he in effect pressured her to change her speech by learning some of his speech. It was still about communication. It is a constantly changing thing.

For example when I went to work for the Social Security Administration I had to learn a very special language to understand the laws and regulations as written. Then when I spoke with the public I had to effectively translate ideas into their more common language [all English]. With other Social Security employees, unless they were trainees, translation was unnecessary because we spoke the same specialized language which the general public did not understand.

That the expertise of the professor in Pygmalion related to speech of persons in the British Isles does not mean that what he was finding did not happen in the rest of the world. There would be other experts for each other area where there were differences. As for example differences in the various parts of the United States. The "you all" common to much the South is one example.

The professor was the expert trying to catch up with what people were actually speaking so he went out to observe and listen to them. If he had been an employee of Webster's what he found could have been used in conjunction with the findings of other experts in other geographical areas to prepare the next fully updated edition of Webster's unabridged dictionary.

What I am pointing-out is that a writer who uses abbreviations not contained, or not yet contained in Webster's, is being inappropriate regarding the reader who cannot reference the writer's terminology, in order to find out what is being said. If a writer does not employ standard English his assertions are not an open book to everyone; each one of the seeming inscrutable terms I employ has an established status in standard English and appears in Webster's.
Duane

I remember many years ago [1969-1970] when I visited London seeing a sign that [being an American], I did not understand. It had the single word, "Queue" on it and people were waiting near the sign for some reason unknown to me. As I watched I soon realized that it was a "bus stop". People were waiting in line to get on a bus when one arrived. Would I have done better if I had studied the Webster's English dictionary beforehand?

Of course I was only visiting England for a few days. When I returned to West Berlin I would have been in trouble again because their signs were not in any kind of English.

Last edited:

marks

Oct 10, 2018
SoCal USA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Yes, wow, if I noticed that 27,000 figure it didn't sink-in. I am going to study very hard so that I can write to 009 entirely in abbreviation! zzix is my abr. for 009, z for zero, ix is a Roman nine, then, I will be totally cool...

Like: IMO zzix prolly abr irl...or, irl zzix prolly imo abr
:rolleyes:

Reactions: bbyrd009 and Nancy

Duane Clinton Meehan

Nov 18, 2019
Lebanon, KY
Faith
Other Faith
Country
United States
He was studying the language as it was spoken. When he dealt with the young lady, he in effect pressured her to change her speech by learning some of his speech. It was still about communication. It is a constantly changing thing.

For example when I went to work for the Social Security Administration I had to learn a very special language to understand the laws and regulations as written. Then when I spoke with the public I had to effectively translate ideas into their more common language [all English]. With other Social Security employees, unless they were trainees, translation was unnecessary because we spoke the same specialized language which the general public did not understand.

That the expertise of the professor in Pygmalion related to speech of persons in the British Isles does not mean that what he was finding did not happen in the rest of the world. There would be other experts for each other area where there were differences. As for example differences in the various parts of the United States. The "you all" common to much the South is one example.

The professor was the expert trying to catch up with what people were actually speaking so he went out to observe and listen to them. If he had been an employee of Webster's what he found could have been used in conjunction with the findings of other experts in other geographical areas to prepare the next fully updated edition of Webster's unabridged dictionary.

I remember many years ago [1969-1970] when I visited London seeing a sign that [being an American], I did not understand. It had the single word, "Queue" on it and people were waiting near the sign for some reason unknown to me. As I watched I soon realized that it was a "bus stop". People were waiting in line to get on a bus when one arrived. Would I have done better if I had studied the Webster's English dictionary beforehand?

Of course I was only visiting England for a few days. When I returned to West Berlin I would have been in trouble again because their signs were not in any kind of English.
Yes you would have done better in England were you wont to read Webster's. A college professor in a philosophy of law course happily admitted that he routinely just plain read Webster's; he then said that in law making very fine distinctions among/between terms is extremely important.

amadeus

Jan 26, 2008
Oklahoma
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Yes you would have done better in England were you wont to read Webster's. A college professor in a philosophy of law course happily admitted that he routinely just plain read Webster's; he then said that in law making very fine distinctions among/between terms is extremely important.
Oh, I agree! I was never a lawyer, but in my job I made many binding decisions based on Social Security law. Thrown into the mix here is the fact that sometimes people who hold key facts, don't speak the same language as the decision makers. To get the truth of what they are wanting to say one must understand their language as often it is their only language.

I recall hitching a ride in Switzerland with a man who spoke what we determined was a dialect that may have been a mixture of Romanian and Italian. The three of us students riding with him spoke English, Spanish, German, French and a smattering of Italian. It wasn't good enough to have a regular conversation with this man who spoke only his dialect. We were stuck with using an improvised sign language plus a few Italian words we knew that he also seemed to understand. Communication can be very important.

Reactions: mjrhealth and Nancy

amadeus

Jan 26, 2008
Oklahoma
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Indeed, counselor-speak gets me nowhere with my clients
Precisely! I used to get people walking into the Social Security with one of our standard letters which were supposedly written in simple English wanting someone to explain what it said. They could read, but like a lot of Americans they were only semi-literate. In couple of minutes after I or one of my co-workers read or translated the letter they went away happy and understanding. Communication!

Last edited:
Reactions: aspen and Nancy

bbyrd009

Groper
Nov 30, 2016
Ute City, COLO
www.facebook.com
Faith
Christian
Country
United States Minor Outlying Islands
My wife does. You know a guy? :)
yeh, in the Sinai tho. $188 apiece, great dentists. Mar-Apr or Sep-Oct $1200 rt airfare, BA air into Ben Gurion, normally about $3500. My guy is a more modest one, in Dahab, but was well recommended by the Europeans there, but one could even go to like Sharm-el-Sheik or similar high-falutin resort for a more high end dentist, prolly worth the diff in baksheesh i guess; they are doing this for tips, basically, so you might be tipping $100 a tooth instead of $25, but Sharm el Sheik is off the hook beautiful whereas Dahab is kind of a backwater

get any needed bone grafts done here first, and you should be able to get away with an Israel-Sinai vacation and five implants for south of $3Gs pretty easy, and im talking dinner on the Red Sea every night, etc

Last edited:
Reactions: amadeus and Pisteuo

Pisteuo

Jul 31, 2017
Ozarks
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Hmm, Sinai? You tired of me or what?

Although we do love travel and those prices are 1/5 of what we would have to pay here. May be worth it. And the Red Sea at night is enticing. I’ve read there are parts there that are still safe for travel.

Last edited:
Reactions: bbyrd009

Helen

Oct 22, 2011
Faith
Christian
Country
Canada
ha :)
i dont talk irl tho, maybe ten words a day, except to little kids. Not that i wouldnt like to, but adults dont make sense to me, and i dont make sense to them, so i am kind of like the village idiot i guess, pretty much like here? and that works fine for me

Ah, but you are tall, blond and slim, so you have a lot going on for you Mark :)

Reactions: amadeus

bbyrd009

Groper
Nov 30, 2016
Ute City, COLO
www.facebook.com
Faith
Christian
Country
Ah, but you are tall, blond and slim, so you have a lot going on for you Mark :)
ha i think thats mostly tall, grey...now, lol, but ty :)
anyway, i talked to an adult yesterday, director of Catholic Charities here, but i realized she speaks naive dialectic, i guess women are more prone to that of necessity maybe

Reactions: amadeus and Helen

bbyrd009

Groper
Nov 30, 2016
Ute City, COLO
www.facebook.com
Faith
Christian
Country
Hmm, Sinai? You tired of me or what?

Although we do love travel and those prices are 1/5 of what we would have to pay here. May be worth it. And the Red Sea at night is enticing. I’ve read there are parts there that are still safe for travel.
implying there are parts that arent? hmm. Parts of the Red Sea, or the Sinai? Its a major tourist area, and a large part of Egypt's income? so id be surprised to hear much shenanigans

Reactions: Willie T

Pisteuo

Jul 31, 2017
Ozarks
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
implying there are parts that arent? hmm. Parts of the Red Sea, or the Sinai? Its a major tourist area, and a large part of Egypt's income? so id be surprised to hear much shenanigans
well most of my comment was aimed at before you edited. I believe it was just Sinai then. Could be wrong. Either way thank you.

Reactions: Helen and bbyrd009