Law Religion vs Grace

• Welcome to Christian Forums, a Christian Forum that recognizes that all Christians are a work in progress.

You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

marks

Oct 10, 2018
SoCal USA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Keeping the law implies keeping it to the letter. That's why 'upholding' or 'fulfilling' the law is a more appropriate word since, for example, Christ is not a literal to the letter of the law keeping of the law of Moses, yet he is a fulfillment of the law that satisfies it's demands.

At what time do you think Jesus failed to keep the letter of the Law? Or do you mean now?

But I'm understanding better what you are saying. "Uphold" means "keep the Law but without need for strict obedience" is the idea, yes?

Fulfilling the Law, to me, means doing all the things the Law requires, not just as obedience, but with the full righteous intent from the heart.

Much love!

marks

Oct 10, 2018
SoCal USA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
upload_2021-11-1_10-19-51.png
The Law here is singular, the Law as a single unit.

We are standing, from "histemi", to stand. Translated "establish" the Law.

This other word, we are nullifying, or, with the use of "me", no, "we are not nullifying" the Law. This is the same word used,

upload_2021-11-1_10-25-3.png

We were crucified with Christ, that the body of sin be 'nullified', rendered powerless, made of no effect.

By our faith we do not nullify the Law, make it powerless or no effect, but we establish it, we stand it up.

Much love!

marks

Oct 10, 2018
SoCal USA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Christ is not a literal animal.
Yet his blood satisfies the requirements of the law.
What does that have to do with my question? When did Jesus fail to keep the Law?? Isn't that what you said? Failed to keep the literal requirements?

Much love!

marks

Oct 10, 2018
SoCal USA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Validating the law as what exactly?
As governing the covenant between God and Israel, in God's righteous commandments. As condemning anyone under it as a Lawbreaker. As justfiying that the Law is righteous in demanding everyone's death for breaking it.

Much love!

Ferris Bueller

Sep 9, 2020
Middle South
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
They are not forgotten. They are checked 'satisfied' for you by Christ.
What Scriptures teach us this?
Example:

"...circumcision is a matter of the heart, by the Spirit, not by the written code." Romans 2:29
Another example:

"...Christ, our Passover lamb, has been sacrificed." 1 Corinthians 5:7
In Christ the lawful requirement for circumcision and the Passover Observance are marked 'satisfied' for the believer. Faith does not destroy and trample down those lawful requirements as many in the church claim. It upholds (satisfies, fulfills) them.

marks

Oct 10, 2018
SoCal USA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
There are some things that the law governs that we simply don't do anymore.
I've haven't taken a 'war bride' in years, lol.
There's more to the list. I'm betting you show your sores to a doctor, but not to a Levite. But who cares? The point here is, this was a covenant given to a certain people for a certain purpose, yet it's become ingrained in many gentile Christians to take a part of that covenant - everyone carves it up differently - to take a custom cut of the Mosaic Covenant as the requirements for life today, and even to the point to judge people's salvation on whether someone thinks that they are keeping the right 'cut' of Law.

Over and over the Bible tells us in many different ways, we're not about Law keeping, oh, and,

Romans 8:4 KJV
That the righteousness of the law might be fulfilled in us, who walk not after the flesh, but after the Spirit.

Fulfilled here is passive voice. We should not think we are fulfilling the Law. It is fulfilled in us, walking after the Spirit, walking in love.

We've died to sin, and died to the Law. Jesus isn't turning us into Law Keepers, He is turning us into Lovers.

Much love!

Reactions: GRACE ambassador

marks

Oct 10, 2018
SoCal USA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Without any other detail you seem to be on the right track.
The key being, the law is satisfied by faith, not cast away and trampled on and broken because it doesn't need to be satisfied anymore as many in the church think.
Trampled on??

And another, "satisfied by faith", what does that mean?

The Law is given for the ungodly, the sinner, the murderer and liar. How should it be used?

Much love!

marks

Oct 10, 2018
SoCal USA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
it's righteous requirements do not now have to be satisfied. That is the mistake most Christians make about the law.
I assert that Jesus fulfilled the Law on behalf of Israel, as it was a covenant between Israel and God.
I also assert that both the Law of the Covenant, and the Law of men's conscience both only condemn man, never justify man, and do so universally.
I assert that the Law is given as a governance of those who are not born of God, and that those who are born of Him are now under His direct control, and looking to the Law is unfaithfulness to God. We are to look to Jesus Himself living in us.

The entire Bible informs our faith if rightly divided. Many do not rightely divide, and try to blend old and new, but both end up destroyed.

Laws and lists and all of these tell us so much, but the Christian life is relationship with God, which is to say, reading about Him is part of it, but as we go through our day, I'm not looking to my knowledge of the Bible as the ultimate source of supply for my need, I'm looking to the Person Jesus Christ to supply my food and shelter, and direction in my life, what to do with this moment, what to do with the next.

Not being reconciled, but having sins atoned, the Israelites could keep the Law, and remain in God's graces, so long as they kept their sins atoned, that is, covered by the sacrifice.

Our sins are removed, and we are reconciled, and that so we can have that personal communion of unity with Him. It's just so very much different?

Much love!

Reactions: GRACE ambassador

marks

Oct 10, 2018
SoCal USA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Another example:

"...Christ, our Passover lamb, has been sacrificed." 1 Corinthians 5:7

In Christ the lawful requirement for circumcision and the Passover Observance are marked 'satisfied' for the believer. Faith does not destroy and trample down those lawful requirements as many in the church claim. It upholds (satisfies, fulfills) them.

I'll come back to these, but yes, let's talk about them some more. I want to gather my thoughts a bit.

Much love!

Ancient

Aug 6, 2021
Australia
Faith
Christian
Country
Australia
Hey. Never asked how Sukkot went this year. This song will be a tradition for me. Shalom.

Great song. Nothing like Biblical Truth!

Sukkot was absolutely awesome, there is so much to be learned and gained in this 8 day period. This is the time our Messiah was born. The feast also called he feast of Tabernacles where Yahweh literally came among us to dwell "tabernacle" with us in the person of Yeshua HaMaschiach "Jesus Christ". We had such a blessed time. The observance and rehearsal for the marriage supper. Where the bride goes in to be with the groom and the doors are shut! Halleluyah Blessed be His Name.

Shalom

Last edited:

Truman

Jul 31, 2020
Brantford
Faith
Christian
Country
Canada
Sukkot was absolutely awesome, there is so much to be learned and gained in this 8 day period. This is the time our Messiah was born. The feast also called he feast of Tabernacles where Yahweh literally came among us to dwell "tabernacle" with us in the person of Yeshua HaMaschiach "Jesus Christ". We had such a blessed time. The observance and rehearsal for the marriage supper. Where the bride goes in to be with the groom and the doors are shut! Halleluyah Blessed be His Name.

Shalom
I'm glad you had a blessed time. Shalom Alechem, Achi b'Mashiach!

Reactions: Ancient