Law vs Gospel

• Welcome to Christian Forums, a Christian Forum that recognizes that all Christians are a work in progress.

You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Netchaplain

Ordained Chaplain
Oct 12, 2011
Missouri
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
The Law of Moses being given to Israel manifested the love of God to them, and eventually to the world! He chose a “people,” which could have been any nation, to establish knowledge and faith in Himself. First, He must inform man of his guilt before Him, in order that that may choose to believe in Him, love Him and follow Him. Thus it was by the Law that He showed them their wrongs (Jhn 9:41; 15:22, 24); and it was by the sacrificial ordinances that He forgave those who believed in Him.

Thus, it was obedience to the Law that men chose to perform, in order to manifest their love to God; but it was through the sacrificial ordinances that forgiveness was established. Though there was still was some disobedience from the believers, God continued to forgive, for He knew man was a sinner and in need of redemption (which came latter).

The reason why the Law could only condemn was because it required the obedience of One who is without sin to obey it, so that the sacrifice would be flawless. No other sacrifice could God receive than that of a spotless and perfect nature. The Father could have sacrificed Himself, but that would not have been the greatest sacrifice!

“Until the redemption of the purchased possession” (Eph 1:14) could take place, the Father first chose to deal with the Jews (Rom 1:16; 2:9, 10), and after the rejection of the Lord Jesus by most of them (of course He knew would be the case) He proceeded to the Gentiles, which He also knew would be rejected by most (Mat 7:13, 14). Thus, the Law directed man to the Gospel of Christ (Gal 3:24, 25), and it being fulfilled by the Lord Jesus (Jhn 19:30), the Father made redemption possible.
NC

Randy Kluth

Apr 27, 2020
Pacific NW
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
The Law of Moses being given to Israel manifested the love of God to them, and eventually to the world! He chose a “people,” which could have been any nation, to establish knowledge and faith in Himself. First, He must inform man of his guilt before Him, in order that that may choose to believe in Him, love Him and follow Him. Thus it was by the Law that He showed them their wrongs (Jhn 9:41; 15:22, 24); and it was by the sacrificial ordinances that He forgave those who believed in Him.

Thus, it was obedience to the Law that men chose to perform, in order to manifest their love to God; but it was through the sacrificial ordinances that forgiveness was established. Though there was still was some disobedience from the believers, God continued to forgive, for He knew man was a sinner and in need of redemption (which came latter).

The reason why the Law could only condemn was because it required the obedience of One who is without sin to obey it, so that the sacrifice would be flawless. No other sacrifice could God receive than that of a spotless and perfect nature. The Father could have sacrificed Himself, but that would not have been the greatest sacrifice!

“Until the redemption of the purchased possession” (Eph 1:14) could take place, the Father first chose to deal with the Jews (Rom 1:16; 2:9, 10), and after the rejection of the Lord Jesus by most of them (of course He knew would be the case) He proceeded to the Gentiles, which He also knew would be rejected by most (Mat 7:13, 14). Thus, the Law directed man to the Gospel of Christ (Gal 3:24, 25), and it being fulfilled by the Lord Jesus (Jhn 19:30), the Father made redemption possible.
NC
Couldn't agree more! Nicely laid out.

Randy Kluth

Apr 27, 2020
Pacific NW
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Appreciate the compliment Brother Randy, and God's blessings to your Family!
And to you, as well. You are among the few here who post arguments without malice, and regularly insert spiritual growth information that is quite edifying. You are on a better track than many. Merry Christmas! :)

Bob Estey

Aug 18, 2021
Sparks, Nevada
Faith
Christian
Country
United States

NC
It would seem to me the law helps keep us out of trouble.

Netchaplain

Ordained Chaplain
Oct 12, 2011
Missouri
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
And to you, as well. You are among the few here who post arguments without malice, and regularly insert spiritual growth information that is quite edifying. You are on a better track than many. Merry Christmas! :)
You are always encouraging in the truth, and thanks for the compliments!

Reactions: Randy Kluth

Netchaplain

Ordained Chaplain
Oct 12, 2011
Missouri
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
It would seem to me the law helps keep us out of trouble.
The Law was about morality, desiring to do good to one another. The Gospel is desiring to do what God wants us to do. Though love to one another is part of the Gospel and is the most important (Jhn 15:12), it involves living "by every word that proceedeth out of the mouth of God" (Mat 4:4). This is everything that God "works" in us (Phl 2:13), which goes well beyond just the morality of the Law.

Ronald Nolette

Aug 24, 2020
South Carolina
Faith
Christian
Country
United States

NC
I think we should listen to the words of Paul to see why God gave the Law of Moses.

Gal. 2:

16 Knowing that a man is not justified by the works of the law, but by the faith of Jesus Christ, even we have believed in Jesus Christ, that we might be justified by the faith of Christ, and not by the works of the law: for by the works of the law shall no flesh be justified.

17 But if, while we seek to be justified by Christ, we ourselves also are found sinners, is therefore Christ the minister of sin? God forbid.

18 For if I build again the things which I destroyed, I make myself a transgressor.

19 For I through the law am dead to the law, that I might live unto God.

20 I am crucified with Christ: nevertheless I live; yet not I, but Christ liveth in me: and the life which I now live in the flesh I live by the faith of the Son of God, who loved me, and gave himself for me.

21 I do not frustrate the grace of God: for if righteousness come by the law, then Christ is dead in vain.

Hebrews 10:4
For it is not possible that the blood of bulls and of goats should take away sins.

Teh sacrificial system did not forgive sins- it covered them. That is why the righteous when they died went to Paradise/Abrahams Bosom part of hell. Only the blood of Jesus removes sins.

Reactions: Gospel Believer

Bob Estey

Aug 18, 2021
Sparks, Nevada
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
The Law was about morality, desiring to do good to one another. The Gospel is desiring to do what God wants us to do. Though love to one another is part of the Gospel and is the most important (Jhn 15:12), it involves living "by every word that proceedeth out of the mouth of God" (Mat 4:4). This is everything that God "works" in us (Phl 2:13), which goes well beyond just the morality of the Law.
Whatever its intent, I believe the law helps keep us out of trouble.

Netchaplain

Ordained Chaplain
Oct 12, 2011
Missouri
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Hebrews 10:4
For it is not possible that the blood of bulls and of goats should take away sins.

The sacrificial system did not forgive sins- it covered them.
It's my understanding that cover and forgive are synonymous (Num 15:25, 26).

That is why the righteous when they died went to Paradise/Abrahams Bosom part of hell. Only the blood of Jesus removes sins.
Paradise was synonymous with heaven (Luk 23:43). Your right that Jesus' Blood does more than forgive sin, it also nullifies sin's dominion over us (Rom 6:14); though we yet possess the sin nature, fresh grace perpetuates God's forgiveness.

Thanks for your reply!

Gospel Believer

Aug 2, 2019
Columbus Ohio
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
“The Law was Given so that sin might INCREASE”......

Now “there’s” a verse you don’t hear about every day! Lol.....Yet, it’s in there......anybody know why?

Gospel Believer

Aug 2, 2019
Columbus Ohio
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Not trying to “ rain on anybody’s parade” or anything , but Paul said that the Law was “ Weak and Useless “ .....anybody know why he said this? I never heard “ that” preached in any church I ever attended.....how about you?

Netchaplain

Ordained Chaplain
Oct 12, 2011
Missouri
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
“The Law was Given so that sin might INCREASE”......

Now “there’s” a verse you don’t hear about every day! Lol.....Yet, it’s in there......anybody know why?
"That sin by the commandment might become exceeding sinful" that the corruption of nature might not only be seen and known to be sin, but exceeding sinful; as being not only contrary to the pure and holy nature of God, but as taking occasion by the pure and holy law of God to exert itself the more, and so appear to be as the words kay'
uperbolhn amartwlov, may be rendered, "exceedingly a sinner," or "an exceeding great sinner"; that being the source and parent of all actual sins and transgressions; wherefore not the law, but sin, was the cause of death, which by the law is discovered to be so very sinful." -John Gill

Reactions: HIM

Netchaplain

Ordained Chaplain
Oct 12, 2011
Missouri
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Not trying to “ rain on anybody’s parade” or anything , but Paul said that the Law was “ Weak and Useless “ .....anybody know why he said this? I never heard “ that” preached in any church I ever attended.....how about you?
Yes, the Law was God's love to inform man of His sin and guilt, but could not deliver; but only show how to be delivered (Gal 3:24, 25).

Ronald Nolette

Aug 24, 2020
South Carolina
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
It's my understanding that cover and forgive are synonymous (Num 15:25, 26).

Paradise was synonymous with heaven (Luk 23:43). Your right that Jesus' Blood does more than forgive sin, it also nullifies sin's dominion over us (Rom 6:14); though we yet possess the sin nature, fresh grace perpetuates God's forgiveness.

Thanks for your reply!
No for atone means to cover. Teh forgiveness part was the legal requirements of the law- not the spiritual.

As for Luke. Remember when Jesus died He did not go to heaven but went to hell. Hell (sheol,hades,the grave, world of the dead) had three components then; Place of torments, Tartarus, and Abrahams Bosom/Paradise. When Jesus died He went to hell and preached to the souls of the righteous. The sacrifices were promises of forgiveness spiritually, but until Jesus shed His blood and then poured it out on teh mercy seat in heaven, no soul could enter heaven.

Netchaplain

Ordained Chaplain
Oct 12, 2011
Missouri
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
No for atone means to cover. Teh forgiveness part was the legal requirements of the law- not the spiritual.

As for Luke. Remember when Jesus died He did not go to heaven but went to hell. Hell (sheol,hades,the grave, world of the dead) had three components then; Place of torments, Tartarus, and Abrahams Bosom/Paradise. When Jesus died He went to hell and preached to the souls of the righteous. The sacrifices were promises of forgiveness spiritually, but until Jesus shed His blood and then poured it out on teh mercy seat in heaven, no soul could enter heaven.
To me it's all spiritual, the physical just shows it. It's also my understanding that it's too late for salvation for those who die and go to hell; and those who die in God go to heaven, where Abraham was (Luk 16:22), which is also "paradise" (Luk 23:43). We either go to heaven or hell, and both are permanent.

MarriedCouple

Mar 26, 2022
NY
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Baruch 4:1 “This is the book of the commandments of God, and the law that endureth for ever: all they that keep it shall come to life; but such as leave it shall die.”

Jim B

Jun 5, 2020
Santa Fe NM
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Baruch 4:1 “This is the book of the commandments of God, and the law that endureth for ever: all they that keep it shall come to life; but such as leave it shall die.”
2 Corinthians 3:5-11, "Not that we are qualified of ourselves to claim anything as coming from us; our qualification is from God, who has made us qualified to be ministers of a new covenant, not of letter but of spirit, for the letter kills, but the Spirit gives life.

Now if the ministry of death, chiseled in letters on stone tablets, came in glory so that the people of Israel could not gaze at Moses’s face because of the glory of his face, a glory now set aside, how much more will the ministry of the Spirit come in glory? For if there was glory in the ministry of condemnation, much more does the ministry of justification abound in glory! Indeed, what once had glory has in this respect lost its glory because of the greater glory, for if what was set aside came through glory, much more has the permanent come in glory!"

True Faith

Jul 21, 2022
Morristown
Faith
Christian
Country
United States

NC
You do realize that if God didn't think Man could keep the Commandments, he would not have placed them there for Man to obey... right???....lol....

As a matter of Fact, Jesus Himself made clear that to get into heaven you had to keep the law, the 10 commandments...

The Story of the rich young ruler....

What the Ruler did was place all his worldly things before God, thereby breaking the first commandment "Thou shalt have no other gods before me."

Are you limiting the power of God by saying that no one can be sinless???... Are you saying that God lied when he said "And their sins and iniquities will I remember no more."...

Are you saying that Paul lied when he said this, "But if the Spirit of him that raised up Jesus from the dead dwell in you, he that raised up Christ from the dead shall also quicken your mortal bodies by his Spirit that dwelleth in you."

Are you also saying that, if we believe and love God and God is our Guide that we will never be able to live a sinless life???

"We know that whosoever is born of God sinneth not; but he that is begotten of God keepeth himself, and that wicked one toucheth him not."

Do you not think that God will help you to keep the law if you truly loved Him???

By choosing God you are accepting his complete and total authority???

God will keep you from sin, so long as you adhere to Him and remain obedient... Unless you think that God is not powerful enough to guide you and hold your hand along the way...

Jim B

Jun 5, 2020
Santa Fe NM
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
You do realize that if God didn't think Man could keep the Commandments, he would not have placed them there for Man to obey... right???....lol....

As a matter of Fact, Jesus Himself made clear that to get into heaven you had to keep the law, the 10 commandments...

The Story of the rich young ruler....

What the Ruler did was place all his worldly things before God, thereby breaking the first commandment "Thou shalt have no other gods before me."

Are you limiting the power of God by saying that no one can be sinless???... Are you saying that God lied when he said "And their sins and iniquities will I remember no more."...

Are you saying that Paul lied when he said this, "But if the Spirit of him that raised up Jesus from the dead dwell in you, he that raised up Christ from the dead shall also quicken your mortal bodies by his Spirit that dwelleth in you."

Are you also saying that, if we believe and love God and God is our Guide that we will never be able to live a sinless life???

"We know that whosoever is born of God sinneth not; but he that is begotten of God keepeth himself, and that wicked one toucheth him not."

Do you not think that God will help you to keep the law if you truly loved Him???

By choosing God you are accepting his complete and total authority???

God will keep you from sin, so long as you adhere to Him and remain obedient... Unless you think that God is not powerful enough to guide you and hold your hand along the way...
You need to read Romans. This will get you started...

Romans 7:4-6, "In the same way, my brothers and sisters, you have died to the law through the body of Christ, so that you may belong to another, to him who was raised from the dead in order that we may bear fruit for God. For while we were living in the flesh, our sinful passions, aroused by the law, were at work in our members to bear fruit for death. But now we are discharged from the law, dead to that which held us captive, so that we are enslaved in the newness of the Spirit and not in the oldness of the written code."

Christians are governed by the Holy Spirit, given to us by God, not by the written law.