Legalism in religion

• Welcome to Christian Forums, a Christian Forum that recognizes that all Christians are a work in progress.

You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Ernest T. Bass

Jan 14, 2014
out in the woods
Sorry. I just believe this verse.

1 Corinthians 1:17
”For Christ sent me not to baptize, but to preach the gospel: not with wisdom of words, lest the cross of Christ should be made of none effect.”

He says Christ did not send Paul to baptize. That does not make any sense if baptism was the gospel. That would be like Paul saying Christ sent me not to partake of the gospel but to preach the gospel. Again, that saying does not make any sense. But you are free to not believe 1 Corinthians 1:17 in that it distinguishes between the gospel and baptism. I just believe this verse at face value.
==It would not make sense that Paul DID baptize (1 Cor 1:14,16) if he was sent NOT to baptize? Nor it is said he sinned by disobeying a command to not baptize. There is no NT command to NOT baptize but gives commands to baptize (Acts 2:38; Acts 10:47-48). The Bible does not contradict itself.

==It would be a logical contradiction to give the great commission commanding disciples to go, teach make disciples by baptizing, an activity in making disciples that is to last till the end of the world, but at the same time command men to not baptize, not make disciples.

==It would not make sense for Paul to make baptism a necessity to salvation by being "of Christ" per verse 13 if baptism or the death of Christ are not necessary to being "in Christ".

==As already explained earlier, verse 17 is a 'not-but elliptical' type of figure of speech. The context shows those Corinthians were dividing themselves over the man who had baptized them rather than all being united with Christ. Paul's point of v17 is that it not important who baptizes (verb) you but the gospel being preached is what matters. Paul was emphazing preaching over baptizing, emphazing preaching over who baptized (verb) you.
Paul never excluded baptism (noun) from salvation.

The reason then why Paul said "I thank God that I baptized none of you" is NOT bacause baptism is non-essential but because "lest any should say that I had baptized in mine own name". Again, Paul did not baptize because baptism was non-essential but did not baptize (verb) because he did not want to add to the division, he did not want to make 'Paulites" following after him because he baptized them. Paul NEVER ANYWHERE said baptism (noun) was not essential to being saved.

Bible Highlighter

Feb 17, 2022
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
==It would not make sense that Paul DID baptize (1 Cor 1:14,16) if he was sent NOT to baptize? Nor it is said he sinned by disobeying a command to not baptize. There is no NT command to NOT baptize but gives commands to baptize (Acts 2:38; Acts 10:47-48). The Bible does not contradict itself.

==It would be a logical contradiction to give the great commission commanding disciples to go, teach make disciples by baptizing, an activity in making disciples that is to last till the end of the world, but at the same time command men to not baptize, not make disciples.

==It would not make sense for Paul to make baptism a necessity to salvation by being "of Christ" per verse 13 if baptism or the death of Christ are not necessary to being "in Christ".

==As already explained earlier, verse 17 is a 'not-but elliptical' type of figure of speech. The context shows those Corinthians were dividing themselves over the man who had baptized them rather than all being united with Christ. Paul's point of v17 is that it not important who baptizes (verb) you but the gospel being preached is what matters. Paul was emphazing preaching over baptizing, emphazing preaching over who baptized (verb) you.
Paul never excluded baptism (noun) from salvation.

The reason then why Paul said "I thank God that I baptized none of you" is NOT bacause baptism is non-essential but because "lest any should say that I had baptized in mine own name". Again, Paul did not baptize because baptism was non-essential but did not baptize (verb) because he did not want to add to the division, he did not want to make 'Paulites" following after him because he baptized them. Paul NEVER ANYWHERE said baptism (noun) was not essential to being saved.
Paul only baptized a few and he said he was not sent to baptize but to preach the gospel. If baptism was for initial salvation, then Paul did not really do much to save anybody. Think.

Ernest T. Bass

Jan 14, 2014
out in the woods
Paul only baptized a few and he said he was not sent to baptize but to preach the gospel. If baptism was for initial salvation, then Paul did not really do much to save anybody. Think.
Again, the reason the BIBLE gives as to WHY Paul baptized just a few IN CORINTH was because of the division at the congregation IN CORINTH, he clearly says the reason why he baptized none of you was "lest any should say that I had baptized in mine own name". AGAIN, the REASON he said he baptized a few AT CORINTH was he did not want to add to the division already there by having those he baptize to be "of Paul" rather than them being "of Christ". Nowhere in this context, or any context, does Paul say baptism (noun) is not essential to salvation or that he did not baptize bacause baptism is non-essential for such is CHANGING what God's word says as the rason why Paul baptized a few.

We do not find Paul saying he baptized a few in Ephesus or Phillippi or Collosae for they did not have the division that was in Corinth being "of Paul" or "of Cephas" or "of Apollos" in following the man who baptized them rather than all of them following and be "of Christ".

I presented in my lat post a few nonsensical contradictions created by those who try and force the idea of baptism (noun) as being nonessential to salvation in v17, whereby they are creating contradictions they can never rectify for their interpretation of the verse is clearly biased and wrong.

Brakelite

Feb 6, 2020
Melbourne
brakelite.wordpress.com
Faith
Christian
Country
Australia
Baptism is a kind of initiation ceremony. It indicates the transition of an individual from one state of being to another. Baptism is the answer to 2 questions. What can you offer the body of Christ? What are you willing to sacrifice? If the answer isn't baptism: if the answer isn't, I will give everything, even my life, and you aren't willing to declare that publicly, then baptism isn't for you.