Legalism in religion

• Welcome to Christian Forums, a Christian Forum that recognizes that all Christians are a work in progress.

You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Gospel Believer

Aug 2, 2019
Columbus Ohio
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Hebrews 12:6 (AMPC) - For the Lord corrects and disciplines everyone whom He loves, and He punishes, even scourges, every son whom He accepts and welcomes to His heart and cherishes. 7 You must submit to and endure [correction] for discipline; God is dealing with you as with sons. For what son is there whom his father does not [thus] train and correct and discipline? 8 Now if you are exempt from correction and left without discipline in which all [of God’s children] share, then you are illegitimate offspring and not true sons [at all].

I’ve been offering up these verses for years.......mainly to throw water on those confused and perhaps Lost Souls that say Christians never sin.... if they are correct, due to the fact that the Bible makes sure that “ Chastisement” exists——If what they claim is true, Gospel is Chastening people that don’t sin....doesn’t sound like the God that I know....

Reactions: mailmandan

Brakelite

Feb 6, 2020
Melbourne
brakelite.wordpress.com
Faith
Christian
Country
Australia
I know exactly what you mean about Christians not continuing in the Word.
Genesis 2:7 KJV right there in the beginning says "man BECAME a living Soul" when the Body and Breath of Life were joined...crystal clear evidence that Adam IS a Soul - not GIVEN a Soul. A Soul is the whole, complete, entire being comprised of its parts, the Body and the Breath of Life.

So, how is it 6,000 years later, Christianity has joined with the entire pagan world in teaching man "has an immortal Soul inhabiting his Body until death releases it to continue on another plain of existence"?

They've failed to "continue in My word". Souls are not immortal because human beings are not immortal: we die. At death, our Body returns to the Earth, the Breath of Life returns to God, and the Soul ceases until the one or the other resurrection. Would God people would believe Genesis 2:7 KJV.
There must be quite a number of people reading these posts. I can't help but wonder why there aren't any who are responding to your post with,
" wow, I've never seen that before! Now so much makes sense and I now have definitive scriptural support against pagan superstitions and spiritualism! Praise God!! Thank you Jesus.".
Do we see that though? No. Christians read that and continue to believe in the nonsense about ghosts and human animated conscious souls/spirits in heaven and hell. Why? Because that do not believe the word of God. Evidence to my mind that very few Christians are fully surrendered to the holy Spirit. As it stands, modem Christianity has no scriptural defense against the inroads of pagan philosophy and deception in these last days, which is very concerning knowing how Satan is going to work to deceive even the elect.

face2face

Jun 22, 2015
Faith
Christian
Country
Australia
There must be quite a number of people reading these posts. I can't help but wonder why there aren't any who are responding to your post with,
" wow, I've never seen that before! Now so much makes sense and I now have definitive scriptural support against pagan superstitions and spiritualism! Praise God!! Thank you Jesus.".
Do we see that though? No. Christians read that and continue to believe in the nonsense about ghosts and human animated conscious souls/spirits in heaven and hell. Why? Because that do not believe the word of God. Evidence to my mind that very few Christians are fully surrendered to the holy Spirit. As it stands, modem Christianity has no scriptural defense against the inroads of pagan philosophy and deception in these last days, which is very concerning knowing how Satan is going to work to deceive even the elect.
This subject would need to be the single most important doctrine to be rejected in all Christianity! Immortal soulism was voted in an official Catholic (mother of harlots) doctrine at Council of Vienne in 1312 as a reaction to continued assertions that soul’s are mortal, which is clear Bible based teaching. Just this one doctrine alone places Christianity in an apostate position with God, for the Bible is absolutely crystal clear, immortality is a thing sought!

Romans 2:7 to those who by perseverance in doing good seek glory, honor, and immortality, He will give eternal life

immortality is qualitative
eternal life is quantitative

Mankind does not possess anything immortal - not even the Word of God in the mind of a man exists after death!

Thanks to you both for highlighting this truth.

F2F

Reactions: Brakelite

Phoneman777

Jan 14, 2015
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
HEY BRAKELITE! I have no doubt the Holy Spirit has used our efforts to convict some of the truth, and to at least arrest the attention of others...but it takes courage to stick one's head above the crowd because the ax man is ever at his post. Pray without ceasing, right?

Last edited:

Ernest T. Bass

Jan 14, 2014
out in the woods
Man has to make a choice after he hears the Gospel. The hearing of the Gospel demands it.

When man decides he must be water baptized to be saved, he has already made that choice.
The issue is it takes a WORK for men to hear the gospel whereby they can come to have faith. That work of one person teaching another person does not make salvation merited or "works based" no more than one person baptizing another person makes salvation merited or "works based".

Reactions: Brakelite

Charlie24

Feb 24, 2021
Monroe
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
The issue is it takes a WORK for men to hear the gospel whereby they can come to have faith. That work of one person teaching another person does not make salvation merited or "works based" no more than one person baptizing another person makes salvation merited or "works based".

If presenting the Gospel to another is works, then Paul would not have said that "we are saved by faith and not of works."

Ernest, I think you are reading in what is not there.

Ernest T. Bass

Jan 14, 2014
out in the woods
Sorry. The gospel does not include water baptism because Paul makes a distinction between the gospel and baptism In 1 Corinthians 1:17.
While baptism is a requirement of our faith, and the just shall live by faith, Peter makes it clear that baptism does not save us in putting away the filth of the flesh (Sin or the sin nature) but it is an answer of having a good and clean conscience towards God already (See: 1 Peter 3:21). Notice how Philip was not concerned with getting the eunuch saved by baptism. It was only the eunuch who suggested to be baptized. Obeying the gospel in 2 Thessalonians 1:8 appears to be this in context:

10 “…in all them that believe (because our testimony among you was believed) in that day. 11that our God would count you worthy of this calling, and fulfil all the good pleasure of his goodness, and the work of faith with power:” (2 Thessalonians 1:10-11).

The gospel is 1 Corinthians 15:1-10. While believing that Christ died for our sins, he was buried, and he was risen the third day is the gospel (1-4); Laboring according to the grace of God is also a part of the gospel (Because it is all one continuous thought) (verse 10). But Paul did not baptize everyone. So this means that the great commission for the disciples to baptize others was for them and or select disciples God chooses. For if baptism was something all Christians must administer to all, then Paul would have said that.

Being baptized is done so as to show the LIKENESS of Christ’s death (Romans 6). While walking in newness of life (walking righteously) is the LIKENESS of the resurrection (Romans 6). So baptism symbolizes our death with Christ according to Romans 6. One has already died with Christ by the two spiritual baptisms they receive when they receive Jesus Christ as their Savior. For whosoever shall call upon the name of the LORD shall be saved.

Also, the Spirit came upon Cornelius to show that they were saved by God’s grace (The New Covenant way). This also happened in Acts 19:1-7, as well.
in 1 Cor 1:17 Paul does not even mention the noun "baptism" nor does he ever say the noun baptism is not part of the gospel, men add those ideas to the text. Paul was putting more emphasis on teaching over the verb baptizing not to the exclusion of either teaching or baptizing.

1 Cor 1:13 Paul made baptism a necessary requirement to be "of Christ" just as much as the death of Christ is a requirement to be "of Christ".

The FACTS that Paul did baptize people (1 Cor 1:14,16) and did not sin by baptizing those men and taught the necessity of baptism (1 Cor 1:13) prove men have placed a erroneous, biased translation upon 1 Cor 1:17 that they cannot prove. After 1 Cor 1:17 Paul continue to teach the necessity of water baptism Col 2:12-13; Gal 3:27 as did Peter 1 Pet 3:21.

2 Thess 1:8:
In flaming fire taking vengeance on them that know not God, and that obey not the gospel of our Lord Jesus Christ:

As I have posted on this verse many times before............obedience to the gospel is necessary to not be in flaming fire logically making obedience a necessary requirement to being saved once and for all. Any one denying the necessity of obedience in order to be saved is teaching a FALSE gospel and is not the gospel of Christ.

---one must obey the gospel to be saved/not be in flaming fire
---1 Cor 1:1-4 the gospel as preached by Paul was the death, burial and resurrection of Christ.
---Rom 6:3-6 therefore water baptism is the only means by which one obeys the gospel for when one is water baptized one "dies" to sin, the old man of sin "dies", is "buried" in a watery grave and "raised up from" that watery grave to then walk in newness of life. The is no death burial and resurrection that takes place in a sinner's prayer in beleif onlyism in any 'spirit' baptism only in water baptism.

Cornelius would have been saved anyway even if he had not been baptized with the HS for that baptism had nothing to do with his personal salvation...
---he was not taught the saving words (Acts 2:14) by being baptized with the HS, Peter still had to preach those saving words to him just as in Acts 2 those Jews had to be taught saving words by Peter and obey those saving words to be saved.
---baptism with the HS was not how he "worked righteousness" to be accepted with God (Acts 10:35)
---there was no death burial and resurrection (obeying the gospel per 2 Thess 1:8) that took place when he was baptized with the HS

But when he obeyed the command to be water baptized (Acts 10:47-48)
--he had been taught those saving words of the gospel,
--he worked righteousness (obeyed God command to be water baptized) and therefore accepted with God
--and he obeyed the gospel, he obeyed from the heart that 'form" of doctrine (Rom 6:17-18) where the death burial and resurrection is a form of the death burial and resurrection of Christ which is the gospel, 1 Cor 15:1-4.

The fact water baptism was commanded, if for no other reason, makes it necessary for not being water baptized is disobedience, working UN righteousness and he therefore would not be accepted with God.

Ernest T. Bass

Jan 14, 2014
out in the woods
If presenting the Gospel to another is works, then Paul would not have said that "we are saved by faith and not of works."

Ernest, I think you are reading in what is not there.
It is clearly evident that preaching the gospel is a work, it is a labor. (1 Cor 15:10-11) it is some thing done.

Jn 4:35
Say not ye, There are yet four months, and then cometh harvest? behold, I say unto you, Lift up your eyes, and look on the fields; for they are white already to harvest.

Fields do not harvest themselves, LABORERS must be sent forth to do the WORK of harvesting of souls.

Charlie24

Feb 24, 2021
Monroe
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
It is clearly evident that preaching the gospel is a work, it is a labor. (1 Cor 15:10-11) it is some thing done.

Jn 4:35
Say not ye, There are yet four months, and then cometh harvest? behold, I say unto you, Lift up your eyes, and look on the fields; for they are white already to harvest.

Fields do not harvest themselves, LABORERS must be sent forth to do the WORK of harvesting of souls.

My point, is the hearing and accepting of that Gospel a work?

No it's not! That's how Paul can say, "we are saved by Grace through faith, not of works."

Bible Highlighter

Feb 17, 2022
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
in 1 Cor 1:17 Paul does not even mention the noun "baptism" nor does he ever say the noun baptism is not part of the gospel, men add those ideas to the text. Paul was putting more emphasis on teaching over the verb baptizing not to the exclusion of either teaching or baptizing.

1 Cor 1:13 Paul made baptism a necessary requirement to be "of Christ" just as much as the death of Christ is a requirement to be "of Christ".

The FACTS that Paul did baptize people (1 Cor 1:14,16) and did not sin by baptizing those men and taught the necessity of baptism (1 Cor 1:13) prove men have placed a erroneous, biased translation upon 1 Cor 1:17 that they cannot prove. After 1 Cor 1:17 Paul continue to teach the necessity of water baptism Col 2:12-13; Gal 3:27 as did Peter 1 Pet 3:21.

2 Thess 1:8:
In flaming fire taking vengeance on them that know not God, and that obey not the gospel of our Lord Jesus Christ:

As I have posted on this verse many times before............obedience to the gospel is necessary to not be in flaming fire logically making obedience a necessary requirement to being saved once and for all. Any one denying the necessity of obedience in order to be saved is teaching a FALSE gospel and is not the gospel of Christ.

---one must obey the gospel to be saved/not be in flaming fire
---1 Cor 1:1-4 the gospel as preached by Paul was the death, burial and resurrection of Christ.
---Rom 6:3-6 therefore water baptism is the only means by which one obeys the gospel for when one is water baptized one "dies" to sin, the old man of sin "dies", is "buried" in a watery grave and "raised up from" that watery grave to then walk in newness of life. The is no death burial and resurrection that takes place in a sinner's prayer in beleif onlyism in any 'spirit' baptism only in water baptism.

Cornelius would have been saved anyway even if he had not been baptized with the HS for that baptism had nothing to do with his personal salvation...
---he was not taught the saving words (Acts 2:14) by being baptized with the HS, Peter still had to preach those saving words to him just as in Acts 2 those Jews had to be taught saving words by Peter and obey those saving words to be saved.
---baptism with the HS was not how he "worked righteousness" to be accepted with God (Acts 10:35)
---there was no death burial and resurrection (obeying the gospel per 2 Thess 1:8) that took place when he was baptized with the HS

But when he obeyed the command to be water baptized (Acts 10:47-48)
--he had been taught those saving words of the gospel,
--he worked righteousness (obeyed God command to be water baptized) and therefore accepted with God
--and he obeyed the gospel, he obeyed from the heart that 'form" of doctrine (Rom 6:17-18) where the death burial and resurrection is a form of the death burial and resurrection of Christ which is the gospel, 1 Cor 15:1-4.

The fact water baptism was commanded, if for no other reason, makes it necessary for not being water baptized is disobedience, working UN righteousness and he therefore would not be accepted with God.
Sorry. I just believe this verse.

1 Corinthians 1:17
”For Christ sent me not to baptize, but to preach the gospel: not with wisdom of words, lest the cross of Christ should be made of none effect.”

He says Christ did not send Paul to baptize. That does not make any sense if baptism was the gospel. That would be like Paul saying Christ sent me not to partake of the gospel but to preach the gospel. Again, that saying does not make any sense. But you are free to not believe 1 Corinthians 1:17 in that it distinguishes between the gospel and baptism. I just believe this verse at face value.

Last edited:

Brakelite

Feb 6, 2020
Melbourne
brakelite.wordpress.com
Faith
Christian
Country
Australia
Mankind fell because of sin. The only solution provided by God to the sin problem, and man's predicament, is the blood of the Lamb and man's choice to allow God to turn his/her life around from one of disobedience and submission to the devil, to a life of obedience and submission to Christ. This choice we make to obey and submit, is all encompassing. We don't get to choose what we want to obey, there are no levels of obedience or submission whereby some scrape into heaven while others bolt in.
"Thou shall love the Lord thy God with all the heart, soul, strength, and mind ". That's everything. We must be baptized. We must obey all of God's commandments that pertain to living a life of purity, godliness, faithfulness, consecration, holiness. That is the only true worship. Anything short of that means we are missing the mark of that high calling in Christ Jesus, and need to repent and surrender more.
There is only one truly saved church in the last day at Christ's coming. They are the remnant, those against whom the devil is focusing his wrath and hatred, those who have true faith and are obeying all God's Commandments.
KJV Revelation 12:17
17 And the dragon was wroth with the woman, and went to make war with the remnant of her seed, which keep the commandments of God, and have the testimony of Jesus Christ.
KJV Revelation 14:12
12 Here is the patience of the saints: here are they that keep the commandments of God, and the faith of Jesus .

That church are repentant Laodiceans. They are the ones who bought that gold tried in the fire... Godly character...
they are the ones who are faithful to their Master and do not lust after and/or mix with other gods...
they are those who have no deceiving mindset, and stand before the throne justified and innocent, sanctified, sanctified and holy, glorified and gifted with the life of the Son Who died for them and came to present them before His Father spotless and without blemish.

Reactions: Bible Highlighter

face2face

Jun 22, 2015
Faith
Christian
Country
Australia
KJV Revelation 12:17
17 And the dragon was wroth with the woman, and went to make war with the remnant of her seed, which keep the commandments of God, and have the testimony of Jesus Christ.
KJV Revelation 14:12
12 Here is the patience of the saints: here are they that keep the commandments of God, and the faith of Jesus .
Agree with most of what you have written...notice how the Woman became "apostate" because the "earth" helped her, whilst her seed alone held the true testimony.

The development of the apostasy has seen the introduction of immortal souls; fallen angels; evil angels; a fiery place of torment; heaven going and much more to that true testimony.

It's disturbing to know the majority have been deceived as it has always been from the beginning - a remnant remains.

I find it incomprehensible that God in His mercy has sustained and protected a body of people who willfully change His Word into lies and the only way I can fathom this is He has a plan with them which I am not privy to.

The development of a pseudo-Christian body which later became a Catholic power in the earth has resulted in fragmented Christianity with something like 45,000 denominations world wide.

Brakelite, the scene is set and the players are all at the table - all waiting for Christ to return and who will be "in the right" and who will need correction in righteousness?

Using your reference in Revelation 12:17

If there is a "remnant of the woman's seed" in existence today, as there was back in AD325, we should be able to still find Truth in its purity today.

In Constantine's day we know a war to the death occurred in which a temporary triumph was won by the Apostasy as per Revelation 11:7. Although the final victory will be with the Remnant!

I believe there are remnants (plural) who have known the One true God and the Lord Jesus Christ down through the ages who have held high degrees of truth, if not complete truth - I dont believe that truth can be found in main-stream Christianity today.

Revelation 12:7 presents a major dilemma for any Christian regardless of how they interpret Revelation, a remnant is a remnant after all.

One might even conclude if such a remnant existed in this forum it's voice would unlikely be heard over the noise of falsehood.

F2F

Last edited:

Gospel Believer

Aug 2, 2019
Columbus Ohio
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
"Thou shall love the Lord thy God with all the heart, soul, strength, and mind ".

You don’t do this.....
Only Jesus did...
Better find you a “ loop-hole”
If you can’t even obey the first and most important Commandment ( and you can’t), you had best grab hold of some Grace....find it by simply Believing 1Cor15:1-4..... you will have better luck doing that —- something that is actually Possible.....
Do you REALLY Believe that you Love God 24/7 with * ALL* your heart, etc? Get real.....This Law and all the 613 other Laws where given to show you that you can’t keep them and the intended purpose of them were to show you that you are a Sinner That MUST have a Savior....
Even if you “ could” keep all of the Laws, you would find out on Judgement Day that you had been “ barking up the wrong tree”..... why? Because , “ By The Works Of The Law , NO FLESH shall be Justified”

Brakelite

Feb 6, 2020
Melbourne
brakelite.wordpress.com
Faith
Christian
Country
Australia
"Thou shall love the Lord thy God with all the heart, soul, strength, and mind ".

You don’t do this.....
Only Jesus did...
Better find you a “ loop-hole”
If you can’t even obey the first and most important Commandment ( and you can’t), you had best grab hold of some Grace....find it by simply Believing 1Cor15:1-4..... you will have better luck doing that —- something that is actually Possible.....
Do you REALLY Believe that you Love God 24/7 with * ALL* your heart, etc? Get real.....This Law and all the 613 other Laws where given to show you that you can’t keep them and the intended purpose of them were to show you that you are a Sinner That MUST have a Savior....
Even if you “ could” keep all of the Laws, you would find out on Judgement Day that you had been “ barking up the wrong tree”..... why? Because , “ By The Works Of The Law , NO FLESH shall be Justified”
Believe in what? What precisely is one to believe in, or for, that replaces obedience?

Or could one have such a faith that God is able to work in His people His own righteousness, conforming them into the image of His Son, this empowering them to obey? See Romans 8:29 Do you believe that?

Gospel Believer

Aug 2, 2019
Columbus Ohio
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Believe in what? What precisely is one to believe in, or for, that replaces obedience?

Or could one have such a faith that God is able to work in His people His own righteousness, conforming them into the image of His Son, this empowering them to obey? See Romans 8:29 Do you believe that?

Nothing replaces “ Obedience”—— The Obedience to the Gospel ( 1Cor15:1-4) .....the Gospel That Paul says that God will Judge you by on Judgement Day.....to Obey the Gospel means to Put your Trust in it —— Trusting in it to the point of RESTING in it......if you are not Resting in it , God declares you guilty of “ DISOBEDIENCE” and “ Unbelief”.......So If you are concerned about “ Obedience”, make sure you get THAT one squared away....

If one lacks the That true Obedience that is Essential for Salvation ( Believing and Trusting and Resting in the fact that Jesus died for our sins and rose from the grave) any other Obedience is no more than a Dead Work...

That second part? I not only believe it, I’ve been teaching it for years......I maintain that anybody can “ change” , but only God can “ Transform”, and that is what God us looking for— not Spiritual “ imitation” , but Spiritual “ Fruition”..... it is God's desire and His Task to “ Confirm us into the Image Of His Son”...... Yet it is something only HE can do and that Task will not be complete until we see Him face-to-face—— we will know Perfection “ over there”.......

Last edited:

Gospel Believer

Aug 2, 2019
Columbus Ohio
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
We must be baptized. We must obey all of God's commandments that pertain to living a life of purity, godliness, faithfulness, consecration, holiness. That is the only true worship. Anything short of that means we are missing the mark of that high calling in Christ Jesus, and need to repent and surrender more.

All good things to do......I hope you realize that none of them have anything to do with Salvation....Salvation was supposed to be a “ Gift”, right ? ......you are essentially saying that we EARN it by repenting and surrendering....

If you say these are good things to be done AFTER Salvation, We are in agreement......but if you are saying we have to do these things to either GET Saved or STAY Saved, you are teaching a “ False and Perverted Gospel “ and you are “ Fallen From Grace” and “ Severed from Christ”..... simply read Galatians and especially Chapter 5 and tell me that I am wrong..... Meanwhile, you may want to pray that being “ Severed from Christ” dies not equate Damnation....many maintain that it does....

face2face

Jun 22, 2015
Faith
Christian
Country
Australia
We must be baptized. We must obey all of God's commandments that pertain to living a life of purity, godliness, faithfulness, consecration, holiness. That is the only true worship. Anything short of that means we are missing the mark of that high calling in Christ Jesus, and need to repent and surrender more.

All good things to do......I hope you realize that none of them have anything to do with Salvation....Salvation was supposed to be a “ Gift”, right ? ......you are essentially saying that we EARN it by repenting and surrendering....

If you say these are good things to be done AFTER Salvation, We are in agreement......but if you are saying we have to do these things to either GET Saved or STAY Saved, you are teaching a “ False and Perverted Gospel “ and you are “ Fallen From Grace” and “ Severed from Christ”..... simply read Galatians and especially Chapter 5 and tell me that I am wrong..... Meanwhile, you may want to pray that being “ Severed from Christ” dies not equate Damnation....many maintain that it does....
Are you suggesting repentance is a one time event? I'm curious how you link repentance with earning salvation.

I'm reminded of the “99 just persons that need no repentance” – No such person exists Ecc 7:20 “All we like sheep have gone astray” Isa 53:6, 1 Pet 2:25

So whether saved, or not, the need for repentance is constant!

F2F

Brakelite

Feb 6, 2020
Melbourne
brakelite.wordpress.com
Faith
Christian
Country
Australia

Remember, the reason we are in this mess is disobedience. Surely you aren't suggesting that being saved allows for people to continue to live in that same disobedience? Is not salvation an intellectual, spiritual, and emotional assent to God's authority, replacing that which the old man was in submission to, Satan's?
While I am in no way suggesting that obeying God's commandments is a means by which we become justified, that's impossible because that took place 2000 years ago on Calvary. We can contribute nothing to that. But being saved, and being fitted for the kingdom of heaven by the Spirit of God surely includes attaining to a mindset that is obedient, loving God with all your heart, soul, mind and body, having Him as Lord of your life, loving those things He loves and hating those things He hates. In other words, and as you said yourself, being filled with the fruits of righteousness.

Does God command us to obey without the expectation we actually do so?

Reactions: face2face

Brakelite

Feb 6, 2020
Melbourne
brakelite.wordpress.com
Faith
Christian
Country
Australia
That second part? I not only believe it, I’ve been teaching it for years......I maintain that anybody can “ change” , but only God can “ Transform”, and that is what God us looking for— not Spiritual “ imitation” , but Spiritual “ Fruition”..... it is God's desire and His Task to “ Confirm us into the Image Of His Son”...... Yet it is something only HE can do and that Task will not be complete until we see Him face-to-face—— we will know Perfection “ over there”.......
You agree with me yet are very defensive as to what it actually looks like in everyday life it seems. You say you have been teaching obedience as a fruit of the Spirit for years, yet the moment I posted a similar concept you suggested my motives for doing so were anti gospel.
What does obedience to God's Commandments actually look like to you? After all, as I said previously, keeping God's Commandments are an identifying characteristic of God's people in the last days... How do you think that is and what are those people doing that contrasts them with the rest of the world, even with the apostate church?

Gospel Believer

Aug 2, 2019
Columbus Ohio
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Are you suggesting repentance is a one time event? I'm curious how you link repentance with earning salvation.

I'm reminded of the “99 just persons that need no repentance” – No such person exists Ecc 7:20 “All we like sheep have gone astray” Isa 53:6, 1 Pet 2:25

So whether saved, or not, the need for repentance is constant!

F2F

Nobody can ever “ earn” Salvation.....it is a “ GIFT” given to those that “ Don’t work for it “

The “ Repentance” That Saves a person is a Turning To God as a Lost Sinner who “ changes his mind” ( Greek Metanoia ) and comes out of the “ Fools Paradise” where he has been “ Blinded by Satan” and thinks that he is “ good enough” to Earn Salvation —— Where He is committing the Sin Of Self- Righteousness —- THAT is the Sin That must be Repented Of , and once your eyes have been opened to your Sinful and Lost Condition and you do as the Contrite Tax-Collector did who humbly cried out, “ Lord, have Mercy on me , a Sinner “....... THAT is the true picture of what Saving Repentance looks like.....and yes, it is a ONE TIME event.....

The Sorrow and Regret for sin plays a part in the above and “ That” type of Repentance comes naturally AFTER one is Saved.....it restores your peace of mind with God after we “ Stumble” and it is a Result Of Salvation....That “ Salvation” itself was never in question.....once you “ Turn to God “ (Repentance) , He will “ Turn to you”....and he will see to it that you are presented as “ Blameless “ on that Day Of Judgement....

To make this windy definition simpler, just read the example of Repentance that Jesus gave us.....it will tell you everything that you need to know.....and it will Never happen until the Holy Spirit blesses you with a Contrite Heart.....the initiative for anybody’s Salvation belongs to God....Read Luke 18: 9-14.....Pray for that Contrite Heart —- it’s the Starting Point Of Christianity....you won’t “ Repent” Without it.....and you won't get Saved.....

Reactions: face2face