Legalism in religion

• Welcome to Christian Forums, a Christian Forum that recognizes that all Christians are a work in progress.

You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

DJT_47

Oct 29, 2022
Michigan/Sterling Heights
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Not sure what you're looking for or if you have preconceived ideas, but I can only say that everyone should be interested in truth and that's what you'll get at the coC. There are many, many "churches", most of which cannot scripturally tell you how to save your soul which is the primary reason for the true gospel of Christ. Belief, confession of belief, repentance, and immersion in water (baptism), for the forgiveness of sins is what you'll hear which is consistent eith scripture.

Reactions: dev553344

dev553344

Jul 14, 2020
USA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Not sure what you're looking for or if you have preconceived ideas, but I can only say that everyone should be interested in truth and that's what you'll get at the coC. There are many, many "churches", most of which cannot scripturally tell you how to save your soul which is the primary reason for the true gospel of Christ. Belief, confession of belief, repentance, and immersion in water (baptism), for the forgiveness of sins is what you'll hear which is consistent eith scripture.
Yes than it is part of the legalism discussion as people doing something to save their own soul is considered legalism by many. Not myself as I believe we need to provide works meet for repentance that Christ will desire to save us.

Does the coC teach the bread and wine ordinance?

DJT_47

Oct 29, 2022
Michigan/Sterling Heights
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
It is obedience rather than legalism.

Mark 16:15-16

15And he said unto them, Go ye into all the world, and preach the gospel to every creature. 16He that believeth and is baptized shall be saved; but he that believeth not shall be damned.

To do whst Jesus said, is it obedience or legalism?

The above scripture clearly says,
Belief + baptism = salvation

And to to your question, yes, we observe the Lord's supper on the first day of the week, every week.

quietthinker

May 4, 2018
FNQ
Faith
Christian
Country
Australia
Did you know that legalists do not believe they are legalists? .... in fact they think exactly the opposite.

Last edited:
Reactions: mailmandan

dev553344

Jul 14, 2020
USA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Never thought about it nor does it matter to me. I simply follow the words of the bible. Call it what you will when one strictly adheres to God's word.
Same here. The bible spells out that without repenting and doing good deeds we will not be let into heaven. And can be cast into fire. So I will humble myself and say that I am a sinner and in need of mercy from God. Which is the parable of the Tax Collector and Pharisee, Luke 18:9-14.

Reactions: Lambano

teamventure

Sep 6, 2011
Check out this illustration

Two men jumped as high as they could towards the moon.

Man 1: "I jumped three feet towards the moon."
Man 2: "I jumped five feet towards the moon."
Man 1: "Well, neither of us can reach the moon huh?"

That is how futile self-righteousness looks from God's perspective.

dev553344

Jul 14, 2020
USA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Check out this illustration

Two men jumped as high as they could towards the moon.

Man 1: "I jumped three feet towards the moon."
Man 2: "I jumped five feet towards the moon."
Man 1: "Well, neither of us can reach the moon huh?"

That is how futile self-righteousness looks from God's perspective.
Yes we cannot save ourselves. And I think it's important that we do as God commands as the sheep follow the shepherd.

Last edited:
Reactions: teamventure

quietthinker

May 4, 2018
FNQ
Faith
Christian
Country
Australia
Yes we cannot save ourselves. Yet God requires is to provide works meet for repentance which for the majority of people includes baptism, confirmation, bread and wine, serving the less fortunate, charity, obeying the commandments (all of them). We are told to be perfect even as our Heavenly Father is perfect. (Matthew 5:48)
what about the paella? :)

Reactions: Lambano

Behold

Apr 11, 2020
Netanya or Pensacola
Faith
Christian
Country
Israel
I've been watching some religious talks from different churches as I still haven't decided which church to join and in one I'm noticing legalism. And it's not such a bad thing as they stress obeying the commandments. But as I watch and listen to the talks I'm hearing a couple things that throw me off, and they appear to be centered around legalism.

1. That we need to prove to God that we are worthy be saved.

2. That we will go to the after life area that we know we belong and know we are worthy of.

As far as number 1. I think we need to provide works meet for repentance. But I know I can't do anything that will save myself.

And number 2 just sounds all wrong to me. As people can be shamed into guilt by secular people just the same as religious people.

Does anybody else encounter these things in their religion or similar ideas brought on by legalism.

I just want to discuss these legalism brought on ideas so I can get a better understanding of what I believe and don't believe.

Legalism, is Religion.

Religion, is man trying to reach God, or to become like God, or to be accepted by God... = based on Man's self Effort.

Christianity, is God becoming a Man, to offer Himself on THE CROSS, as the "Gift of Salvation" and "the Gift of Righteousness"" = to all men. (people).

CHRISTianity.... is not a religion.
CHRISTianity, is GOD becoming one of us, to offer Himself on The CROSS = as THE Gift of Salvation, to all of us.

dev553344

Jul 14, 2020
USA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Legalism, is Religion.

Religion, is man trying to reach God, or to become like God, or to be accepted by God... = based on Man's self Effort.

Christianity, is God becoming a Man, to offer Himself on THE CROSS, as the "Gift of Salvation" and "the Gift of Righteousness"" = to all men. (people).

CHRISTianity.... is not a religion.
CHRISTianity, is GOD becoming one of us, to offer Himself on The CROSS = as THE Gift of Salvation, to all of us.
Man should obey Christ and obey the commandments if they want to be saved. For those that try and can't, God will save them thru Christ.

Behold

Apr 11, 2020
Netanya or Pensacola
Faith
Christian
Country
Israel
obey the commandments if they want to be saved.

Did the Commandments hang on The Cross for you, bleed, and die for your sin?
If not, you need to get your faith worked out, Devin553344.

Salvation is not by commandments, and teaching that commandment keeping saves you, DENIES the CROSS.

Do you see yourself?
God does.

Titus

Feb 5, 2022
Midwest
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Obeying God has never been nor ever will be legalism.
God gives us commandments.
If I tell another...You must obey God and keep His commandments, some will label me a legalist.
Imagine God giving you a command. He expects you to do it.
But when a person obeys. God calls him a legalist.
I did what You asked Lord.
God: "What for? You will not be saved you are a legalist."

This is one of the most nonsensical accusations givin by ignorant folks.

You need to know if someone accuses you of being a legalist, they are confused.

Biblical fact: You must obey God to be pleasing to God.
Biblical example Abraham
Genesis 26:4-5
-And I will make your descendants multiply as the stars of heaven: I will give to your descendants all these lands: and in your seed all the nations of the earth shall be blessed:
-because Abraham obeyed My voice and kept My charge, My commandments, My statues, and My laws.

Teaching one must obey God is not legalism.

This is a false accusation made by those of the group involved in salvation by belief only, no obedience to Gods commandments.

Jesus calls belief and no obedience to His commandments as lawlessness.
Matthew 7:21-23

Note: Do not confuse the old Mosaical law here with Christ's new covenant gospel system that we are under today. Keeping the old law to be saved would be meriting salvation which is impossible.

Behold

Apr 11, 2020
Netanya or Pensacola
Faith
Christian
Country
Israel
Obeying God has never been nor ever will be legalism.

Here is how you obey God.

"the work of God, is that you BELIEVE in Jesus, whom God sent".

"all that call on the name of JESUS< shall be SAVED"

"to him that worketh NOT...but believeth on God who justifies the ungodly, their FAITH will be counted as Righteouensess".

"not by works, but according to God's MERCY, HE....SAVED......US"

Jesus said..>"all that BELIEVE in me, i give unto you, ETERNAL LIFE, and you shall never Perish".

Do those Titus, and leave the commandment keeping to the JEWS who chose the commandments and rejected their Messiah.
Dont be that one, as you wont like it after you die, if you are that one.

Titus

Feb 5, 2022
Midwest
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Here is how you obey God.

"the work of God, is that you BELIEVE in Jesus, whom God sent".

"all that call on the name of JESUS< shall be SAVED"

"to him that worketh NOT...but believeth on God who justifies the ungodly, their FAITH will be counted as Righteouensess".

"not by works, but according to God's MERCY, HE....SAVED......US"

Jesus said..>"all that BELIEVE in me, i give unto you, ETERNAL LIFE, and you shall never Perish".

Do those Titus, and leave the commandment keeping to the JEWS who chose the commandments and rejected their Messiah.
Dont be that one, as you wont like it after you die, if you are that one.
You do not know the difference between Jews old law and Christs new law.
That is why you err.

Titus

Feb 5, 2022
Midwest
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
One example of obedience that God requires to be saved is repentance of ones sins,
Jesus said,
Matthew 12:41,
-The men of Nineveh will rise up in the judgement with this generation and condemn it, because they  repented at the preaching of Jonah; and indeed a greater than Jonah is here.
Now look what the word refers to as Nineveh's repentance.

Jonah 3:10,
-Then God saw their works that they turned from their evil ways; and God relented from the disaster that He said He would bring on them and He did not do it.

Their work of repentance is why God's mind was changed...why God choose not to destroy them.
Likewise God requires us to obey the commandment to repent,
Acts 17:30,
-Truly these times of ignorance God overlooked but now commands All men everywhere to repent.

Without this obedience to Gods commandment to repent you cannot be saved by Gods grace.
Nineveh would have been destroyed by God if they did not repent.
Likewise no repentance i.e. stopping willful sin, submitting our lives to Christ, no forgiveness from God.

2Corinthians 7:10,
-For godly sorrow produces repentance leading to salvation, not to be regretted;
but the sorrow of the world produces death.
That is Paul saying repentance leads to salvation. Paul did not teach faith and no repentance to be saved.

Behold

Apr 11, 2020
Netanya or Pensacola
Faith
Christian
Country
Israel
You do not know the difference between Jews old law and Christs new law.
That is why you err.

Look carefully..

New International Version
Since they did not know the righteousness of God and sought to establish their own, they did not submit to God’s righteousness.

New Living Translation
For they don’t understand God’s way of making people right with himself. Refusing to accept God’s way, they cling to their own way of getting right with God by trying to keep the law.

English Standard Version
For, being ignorant of the righteousness of God, and seeking to establish their own, they did not submit to God’s righteousness.

see those verses?
That is a person trying to be accepted by God, based on water, works, commandment keeping.

When you are that one, you "have not submitted to GOD"......To God's Righteousness, and you are trying to establish your own righteousness", which makes you a CROSS REJECTOR.

Dont be that one.

Titus

Feb 5, 2022
Midwest
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Look carefully..

New International Version
Since they did not know the righteousness of God and sought to establish their own, they did not submit to God’s righteousness.

New Living Translation
For they don’t understand God’s way of making people right with himself. Refusing to accept God’s way, they cling to their own way of getting right with God by trying to keep the law.

English Standard Version
For, being ignorant of the righteousness of God, and seeking to establish their own, they did not submit to God’s righteousness.

see those verses?
That is a person trying to be accepted by God, based on water, works, commandment keeping.

When you are that one, you "have not submitted to GOD"......To God's Righteousness, and you are trying to establish your own righteousness", which makes you a CROSS REJECTOR.

Dont be that one.
Jesus gave the command to be baptized.
According to Behold obeying this commandment makes you a legalist.
Tell it to Jesus.