Lets Be More Kind To One Another In This Forum

• Welcome to Christian Forums, a Christian Forum that recognizes that all Christians are a work in progress.

You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Rach1370

Apr 17, 2010
Australia
I disagree. Error must be vigorously fought against and the truth defended with equal vigor.

Yes, this is true, but I think the point of the post is that it should be, and is, possible to do this with a loving attitude!
Spurgeon once said:
"Defend the Bible? I would as soon defend a lion! Unchain it and it will defend itself."
Really, we need to keep in mind that what we defend is God and His word...which is capable of defending itself with truth....it will shine through! So, we present and persuade and pray....and let God do the rest!

Hollyrock

Nov 17, 2011
USA
Yes, this is true, but I think the point of the post is that it should be, and is, possible to do this with a loving attitude!
Spurgeon once said:
"Defend the Bible? I would as soon defend a lion! Unchain it and it will defend itself."
Really, we need to keep in mind that what we defend is God and His word...which is capable of defending itself with truth....it will shine through! So, we present and persuade and pray....and let God do the rest!
I love that !!!

aspen

“"The harvest is plentiful but the workers are few
Apr 25, 2012
West Coast
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
The truth needs no defense, especially from human beings who are harfly expects on the subject

Vashti

Nov 10, 2011
HollyRock said:
Ego has no place here...

the other hand, are often accused of ego and agresie people who defend the truth in a civilized way - accused of lack of love, lack of tolerance, etc.

I do not understand what right here are demanding "respect for other opinions" - for how much other I have respect?

Do I respect the view of "the intercession of the dead," "divine mother" and the like?

Shirley said:
If I don't see a loving, caring attitude then it hurts even if the person talking is absolutely correct.

and you did not thought that if someone says "absolutely correct" he just doing it out of love - because how do you think of why someone would just spoke?

Do not you think that is rather abundant blessings just do not need of love, because simply them spend around. While actually need to love, indeed, to tell the truth, which most do not like ...

Biggandyy - Amen to both of your posts.

rockytopva

Staff member
Dec 31, 2010
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Sorry if you value feeling good over knowing the truth.

(null)

How many souls have you won in your state of melancholy? And feeling good is a product of knowing truth! When it is indeed truth! The Gospel interpreted is 'Good news!'

Stong's interpretation of Gospel (euaggelion):

1) a reward for good tidings
2) good tidings
a) the glad tidings of the kingdom of God soon to be set up, and subsequently also of Jesus the Messiah, the founder of this kingdom. After the death of Christ, the term comprises also the preaching of (concerning) Jesus Christ as having suffered death on the cross to procure eternal salvation for the men in the kingdom of God, but as restored to life and exalted to the right hand of God in heaven, thence to return in majesty to consummate the kingdom of God... the glad tidings of salvation through Christ
c) the proclamation of the grace of God manifest and pledged in Christ
d) the gospel
e) as the messianic rank of Jesus was proved by his words, his deeds, and his death, the narrative of the sayings, deeds, and death of Jesus Christ came to be called the gospel or glad tidings

us2are1

Son Of Man
Sep 14, 2011
Being a respecter of persons is a sin against God. Respect God only. Listen to what Christ said about His own mother and brothers. Who did He respect?
Mark 3
32 And a multitude was sitting around Him; and they said to Him, "Look, Your mother and Your brothers are outside seeking You."
33 But He answered them, saying, "Who is My mother, or My brothers?"
34 And He looked around in a circle at those who sat about Him, and said, "Here are My mother and My brothers!
35 For whoever does the will of God is My brother and My sister and mother."

The flattering tongue of man has saved no one. Nor has it straightened out the twisted beliefs or benefited those who are perishing and won't hear the truth. What is more important to you? "The souls that are headed towards the valley of slaughter" or the warm fuzzy feeling you get when wallowing in flattery?

us2are1

Son Of Man
Sep 14, 2011
James 2
1 My brethren, have not the faith of our Lord Jesus Christ, the Lord of glory, with respect of persons.

Rach1370

Apr 17, 2010
Australia
Being a respecter of persons is a sin against God. Respect God only. Listen to what Christ said about His own mother and brothers. Who did He respect?
Mark 3
32 And a multitude was sitting around Him; and they said to Him, "Look, Your mother and Your brothers are outside seeking You."
33 But He answered them, saying, "Who is My mother, or My brothers?"
34 And He looked around in a circle at those who sat about Him, and said, "Here are My mother and My brothers!
35 For whoever does the will of God is My brother and My sister and mother."

The flattering tongue of man has saved no one. Nor has it straightened out the twisted beliefs or benefited those who are perishing and won't hear the truth. What is more important to you? "The souls that are headed towards the valley of slaughter" or the warm fuzzy feeling you get when wallowing in flattery?

I would think that having respect for other people is both demanded of us, and also a sign of our devotion to Christ. We are told to love others, and to do unto them as we would have them do unto us. It may turn out to be difficult to 'love' others while deep down we seethe with disrespect for them. There are particular people that God calls us to respect...like our Pastors. We are to be under their authority. Also we are to behave well in our workplace...everywhere really, showing dedication and appreciation for others...all ways in which we are actually showing our respect for God through our respect for others.
I think respect is not the issue here. I respect many Christian people...I read their books and admire the way God is using them to bring and clarify His wonderful work. I think the real problem is devotion. We should respect people, but never be devoted to them. Our devotion and worship should always be to God. It's through this worship and devotion that we are able to show respect and love to others.

James 2
1 My brethren, have not the faith of our Lord Jesus Christ, the Lord of glory, with respect of persons.

My brothers, show no partiality as you hold the faith in our Lord Jesus Christ, the Lord of glory. For if a man wearing a gold ring and fine clothing comes into your assembly, and a poor man in shabby clothing also comes in, and if you pay attention to the one who wears the fine clothing and say, “You sit here in a good place,” while you say to the poor man, “You stand over there,” or, “Sit down at my feet,” have you not then made distinctions among yourselves and become judges with evil thoughts? Listen, my beloved brothers, has not God chosen those who are poor in the world to be rich in faith and heirs of the kingdom, which he has promised to those who love him? But you have dishonored the poor man. Are not the rich the ones who oppress you, and the ones who drag you into court? Are they not the ones who blaspheme the honorable name by which you were called?
If you really fulfill the royal law according to the Scripture, “You shall love your neighbor as yourself,” you are doing well. But if you show partiality, you are committing sin and are convicted by the law as transgressors. (James 2:1-9 ESV)

This is not a passage telling us to disrespect others. It is saying that we are all one in Christ, and we are not to show partiality or deference towards those who are more wealthy.

us2are1

Son Of Man
Sep 14, 2011
I would think that having respect for other people is both demanded of us, and also a sign of our devotion to Christ. We are told to love others, and to do unto them as we would have them do unto us.

Then you would be thinking dead wrong. I would want someone to stop me anyway they can if they saw me headed for a fall off of a cliff.

Tell me how Christ respected Peter in this scripture?

Matthew 16
23 But he turned , and said unto Peter, Get thee behind me, Satan: thou art an offence unto me: for thou savourest not the things that be of God, but those that be of men.

It is better to truly Love them and tell them the truth: at all costs.

James 2

HammerStone

Staff member
Feb 12, 2006
South Carolina
prayerforums.com
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
The key point to your argument there Son of Man, is that was Jesus speaking.

Reading the passages you provided with your suggested bent on them would render previous passages in this thread as in direct contradiction to that. (In addition to a clear misreading of the respecter of persons part which a quick reading in situ should correct.

Colossians 4:6
Let your speech always be gracious, seasoned with salt, so that you may know how you ought to answer each person.

There are times to be harsh and firm, but look no further than Jesus's own treatement of the twelve to see that there were other times where he explained and reasoned with them after it was clear that they simply didn't get it. When they were wrong, Jesus did not always respond with "Get behind me, Satan!"

us2are1

Son Of Man
Sep 14, 2011
The key point to your argument there Son of Man, is that was Jesus speaking.

Reading the passages you provided with your suggested bent on them would render previous passages in this thread as in direct contradiction to that. (In addition to a clear misreading of the respecter of persons part which a quick reading in situ should correct.

Colossians 4:6
Let your speech always be gracious, seasoned with salt, so that you may know how you ought to answer each person.

There are times to be harsh and firm, but look no further than Jesus's own treatement of the twelve to see that there were other times where he explained and reasoned with them after it was clear that they simply didn't get it. When they were wrong, Jesus did not always respond with "Get behind me, Satan!"

Who has furthered the cause of the kingdom of God through flattery? Especially in this the day of wrath?
If I am in Christ and Christ is in me then who is talking to you now? The Spirit knows what is in the heart of man? The anger is directed at the truth and the truth is Christ. Will the sons of God when they are revealed respect the false beliefs of those who have fallen short? Will Gods elect when instructed to go out turn back His hand from doing harm because those who call themselves by His name have once again rejected correction? No They won't. But just in case there is one that hasn't heard and will receive correction they will also not be silent. They will shout it from the housetops.

Matthew 10
It is enough for a disciple that he be like his teacher, and a servant like his master.

justaname

Disciple of Jesus Christ
Mar 14, 2011
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
To attack falseness is to speak truth. To attack another person is to show ones character. That which can be said in love attacking falseness shows ones maturity. To bitterly dispute with demeaning discourse fighting for what one believes to be true is working for self as opposed to serving God's Kingdom of Heaven.

Reactions: Shirley

Hollyrock

Nov 17, 2011
USA
Who has furthered the cause of the kingdom of God through flattery? Especially in this the day of wrath?
If I am in Christ and Christ is in me then who is talking to you now? The Spirit knows what is in the heart of man? The anger is directed at the truth and the truth is Christ. Will the sons of God when they are revealed respect the false beliefs of those who have fallen short? Will Gods elect when instructed to go out turn back His hand from doing harm because those who call themselves by His name have once again rejected correction? No They won't. But just in case there is one that hasn't heard and will receive correction they will also not be silent. They will shout it from the housetops.

Matthew 10
It is enough for a disciple that he be like his teacher, and a servant like his master.
I think if some of the quarrels and debates here were done face to face, it would come to blows...all I'm saying is tone it down a bit.

Rach1370

Apr 17, 2010
Australia
Then you would be thinking dead wrong. I would want someone to stop me anyway they can if they saw me headed for a fall off of a cliff.

Tell me how Christ respected Peter in this scripture?

Matthew 16
23 But he turned , and said unto Peter, Get thee behind me, Satan: thou art an offence unto me: for thou savourest not the things that be of God, but those that be of men.

It is better to truly Love them and tell them the truth: at all costs.

James 2

I never said we should lie. Yes, truth is always best, especially scriptural truth.
But it is always possible to speak truth with love. Even when Jesus was rebuking people in what may seem like a harsh manner, He never showed disrespect, disdain or any kind of rudeness. You, by saying we may not respect people, are saying we must not show any person alive and consideration or appreciation. This is just not so. It goes against all scripture that tells us to love others, to obey authority and most importantly, to show the love of God through our actions and attitudes.
Again, the James verse you quote there has absolutely nothing to do with withholding our respect from others. See above.
Also, you seem to be forgetting that the Bible specifically demands children to honour and respect their parents. If the Bible demands us at least once to respect humans, it kind of excludes your claim that it is a sin to do so.

us2are1

Son Of Man
Sep 14, 2011
Even when Jesus was rebuking people in what may seem like a harsh manner, He never showed disrespect, disdain or any kind of rudeness.

You are not telling the truth here Rach.
The scripture where Christ calls Peter satan is totally disrespectful of the confusion that Peter was living in. Satan means "adversary of God": Christ was calling Peter an adversary of God. Not to mention the things that Christ said to the Pharisees, Sadducies and Scribes.
Matthew 23
33 Serpents, brood of vipers! How can you escape the condemnation of hell?

These scriptures are completely contrary to your statement "He never showed disrespect, disdain or any kind of rudeness.

John 8
44 You are of your father the devil, and the desires of your father you want to do.

John 8
47 He who is of God hears God's words; therefore you do not hear, because you are not of God."

34 Brood of vipers! How can you, being evil, speak good things? For out of the abundance of the heart the mouth speaks.

Luke 3 John the Baptist
7 Then he said to the multitudes that came out to be baptized by him, "Brood of vipers! Who warned you to flee from the wrath to come?

Matthew 23
23 Woe to you, scribes and Pharisees, hypocrites! For you pay tithe of mint and anise and cummin, and have neglected the weightier matters of the law: justice and mercy and faith. These you ought to have done, without leaving the others undone.
24 Blind guides, who strain out a gnat and swallow a camel!
25 Woe to you, scribes and Pharisees, hypocrites! For you cleanse the outside of the cup and dish, but inside they are full of extortion and self-indulgence.
26 Blind Pharisee, first cleanse the inside of the cup and dish, that the outside of them may be clean also.
27 Woe to you, scribes and Pharisees, hypocrites! For you are like whitewashed tombs which indeed appear beautiful outwardly, but inside are full of dead men's bones and all uncleanness.
28 Even so you also outwardly appear righteous to men, but inside you are full of hypocrisy and lawlessness.
29 Woe to you, scribes and Pharisees, hypocrites! Because you build the tombs of the prophets and adorn the monuments of the righteous,

aspen

“"The harvest is plentiful but the workers are few
Apr 25, 2012
West Coast
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Antisoicial behavior is magnified by anonymity. You can see it on the road and online. Face to face, they slink into the shadows.

Rach1370

Apr 17, 2010
Australia
You are not telling the truth here Rach.
The scripture where Christ calls Peter satan is totally disrespectful of the confusion that Peter was living in. Satan means "adversary of God": Christ was calling Peter an adversary of God. Not to mention the things that Christ said to the Pharisees, Sadducies and Scribes.
Matthew 23
33 Serpents, brood of vipers! How can you escape the condemnation of hell?

These scriptures are completely contrary to your statement "He never showed disrespect, disdain or any kind of rudeness.

John 8
44 You are of your father the devil, and the desires of your father you want to do.

John 8
47 He who is of God hears God's words; therefore you do not hear, because you are not of God."

34 Brood of vipers! How can you, being evil, speak good things? For out of the abundance of the heart the mouth speaks.

Luke 3 John the Baptist
7 Then he said to the multitudes that came out to be baptized by him, "Brood of vipers! Who warned you to flee from the wrath to come?

Matthew 23
23 Woe to you, scribes and Pharisees, hypocrites! For you pay tithe of mint and anise and cummin, and have neglected the weightier matters of the law: justice and mercy and faith. These you ought to have done, without leaving the others undone.
24 Blind guides, who strain out a gnat and swallow a camel!
25 Woe to you, scribes and Pharisees, hypocrites! For you cleanse the outside of the cup and dish, but inside they are full of extortion and self-indulgence.
26 Blind Pharisee, first cleanse the inside of the cup and dish, that the outside of them may be clean also.
27 Woe to you, scribes and Pharisees, hypocrites! For you are like whitewashed tombs which indeed appear beautiful outwardly, but inside are full of dead men's bones and all uncleanness.
28 Even so you also outwardly appear righteous to men, but inside you are full of hypocrisy and lawlessness.
29 Woe to you, scribes and Pharisees, hypocrites! Because you build the tombs of the prophets and adorn the monuments of the righteous,

Okay, 2 things. One, Jesus never sinned, and being nasty to people, is a sin...so we may conclude here that rebuked without disrespect. What Jesus spoke was absolute truth. Second, as Jesus is Lord, God and Creator, never ever sinned and was perfect in every way, we can assume that any and all rebukes He gave were indeed perfect. But for you to assume, nay, insist, that you have His right to behave in the same manner, makes assumptions about you character that are not true. You are not perfect, you have sinned, and any time you open your mouth to scold, and disrespect others, you cannot help but do so with a fallen nature.
God tells us to love others, and to do this with the help of the Holy Spirit. It's only in this way that our actions, behaviours and attitudes can have any hope of not being completely and totally sinful.
I recognise and applause you desire to want to stand for the truth of scripture, I am doing no less. The Bible never, ever tells us to disrespect man, and to claim it does goes against the spirit of the Word, not to mention the various scriptures above that you very handily are ignoring.

Respect: "esteem for or a sense of the worth or excellence of a person, a personal quality or ability, or something considered as a manifestation of a personal quality or ability"
"deference to a right, privilege, privileged position, or someone or something considered to have certain rights or privileges; proper acceptance or courtesy; acknowledgment"

Disrespect: to regard or treat without respect; regard or treat with contempt or rudeness.

Let every person be subject to the governing authorities. For there is no authority except from God, and those that exist have been instituted by God...
Pay to all what is owed to them: taxes to whom taxes are owed, revenue to whom revenue is owed, respect to whom respect is owed, honor to whom honor is owed.
(Romans 13:1,7 ESV)

We ask you, brothers, to respect those who labor among you and are over you in the Lord and admonish you, and to esteem them very highly in love because of their work. Be at peace among yourselves.
(1 Thessalonians 5:12-13 ESV)

Servants, be subject to your masters with all respect, not only to the good and gentle but also to the unjust.
(1 Peter 2:18 ESV)

but in your hearts honor Christ the Lord as holy, always being prepared to make a defense to anyone who asks you for a reason for the hope that is in you; yet do it with gentleness and respect,
(1 Peter 3:15 ESV)

Vashti

Nov 10, 2011
Some people believe that them attack every time when told that prayers for the dead are a sin, for example, or told them for any sin - at once raise a cry to heaven with the attack, the lack of love etc.

And Jesus did not show contempt, it is true, but also called things by their names - he called hypocrites hypocrites, (and not the beloved brothers), he called evil evil and good good ... etc.

Personally believe that we do not have anyone to call devils, or dope, but on the other side you should not keep a pleasant atmosphere for all manner of price and at the expense of truth. We have to keep a healthy balance.

Reactions: Redeemed86

rockytopva

Staff member
Dec 31, 2010
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Melancholy? So the truth is depressing to you? I find it exhilerating and free!

(null)

Your truth is accompanied with a spiritual funk... That i find disturbing. Keep that strange kind of love away from me thank you.

Reactions: aspen