Let's discuss..cessation after death?

• Welcome to Christian Forums, a Christian Forum that recognizes that all Christians are a work in progress.

You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

stunnedbygrace

Aug 18, 2018
USA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
You sound "angry/bitter" and that is understandable.
I cannot read your thoughts since I have not yet attained absolute perfection in this life as some boldly claim for themselves

Shalom chesed
J.

mmm…yes, maybe angry at men being hindered.

Reactions: Lambano

stunnedbygrace

Aug 18, 2018
USA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
@stunnedbygrace
I notice you are a serious one.
Some men/women are hiding behind worldly oratory and some frivolous and lighthearted.
You have a problem with men behind the pulpit?
What is it that you are not saying?
J.

Well…no. I have a problem with the doctrines of men that cause great harm to the men who swallow them.

Johann

Apr 2, 2022
Durban South Africa
Faith
Christian
Country
South Africa
Well…no. I have a problem with the doctrines of men that cause great harm to the men who swallow them.

Such as?
Stunnedbygrace, I am old school and live a life of separateness hence my problem of social communication.
You don't have to answer sister.
J.

stunnedbygrace

Aug 18, 2018
USA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Please elaborate..men being hindered?
Please elaborate..men being hindered?

For instance…a man is given a measure of trust and receives the down payment of the Holy Spirit. Then he’s taught to condemn others to eternal torment as if he healed his own blindness or had anything to do with being given his sight and they refuse to heal their blindness. So he then harms and hinders those he condemns and also harms himself. Just when his own blindness was healed and he can now see dimly, he is led into a severe and dark ditch. He should have been led toward growing trust, learning the race without stumbling in trust as much, toward more humility, not less. But the exact opposite happens. But given that it’s a race of trust the man is in, it’s brilliant warfare.

The Disciple John

Mar 11, 2022
Dennery
Faith
Christian
Country
Saint Lucia
Brother, you are stuck at Ecclesiastes and one greater than Solomon is here and that is Christ Jesus and His Imperatives and in case you forgot, unto Paul was given seven mysteries which was unknown to the Old Covenant saints, even Solomon.
All the more reason to accept what Solomon wrote.
Jesus acknowledged the wisdom recorded in his inspired writings.

Don't attack other members here and banish them to Sheol should they not agree with you.
J.
I don't do that, so no need to give counsel where it's not applicable.
There are some here who you might want to consider giving that advice to... especially those you have referred to.

Remember too, that speaking the truth is not attacking persons, and banishing them anywhere. I'm sure you agree, from your post here.

Can you prove this?
All of those who are Jesus disciples can prove this, and have done so.
It actually is proven quite easily from scripture, and evidence we have today.
Ephesians 4:4, 5
4 There is one body and one Spirit, just as you were called in one hope of your calling; 5 one Lord, one faith, one baptism;

The Christians - real followers of Christ - are one body; one faith.

How many "Christian" faiths exist today?
The term Christian encompasses a broad range of denominations, with Roman Catholicism comprising the largest group made up of around 1.3 billion adherents. Protestants, Evangelicals, Orthodox, Anglicans, and many other sub-denominations are included in the count.
Number of Christian Denominations
According to the Center for the Study of Global Christianity (CSGC) at Gordon-Conwell Theological Seminary, there are approximately 41,000 Christian denominations and organizations in the world today
. This statistic takes into consideration cultural distinctions between denominations in different countries, so there is an overlapping of many denominations.

List of Christian denominations
Divisions between one denomination and another are primarily defined by authority and doctrine. Issues regarding the nature of Jesus, Trinitarianism, salvation, the authority of apostolic succession, eschatology, conciliarity, papal supremacy and papal primacy among others may separate one denomination from another. Groups of denominations, often sharing broadly similar beliefs, practices, and historical ties—can be known as "branches of Christianity" or "denominational families" (e.g. Eastern or Western Christianity and their sub-branches). These "denominational families" are often imprecisely also called denominations.
...denominations can arise not only from religious or theological issues, but political and generational divisions as well.

Obviously, today, the Christianity that exists today, is not one body. It's not one faith. It is divided, as boards like these show.
It is not united in teachings, nor love - two important marks of the true Christian faith. John 8:31-32; John 13:35

I guess you are the one percent that is not an apostate?
The 0.1% cannot be one person. It is one body. A body is made up of many members, but those members are all united, and in agreement 1 Corinthians 1:10
That body is united in love internationally. 1 Peter 2:17; 1 Peter 5:9

I am only one of million who have joined myself to that body, and associate with, and support them. They are Jesus' brothers Matthew 25:40, and the ones through whom Jesus teaches truth. Matthew 24:45
Of course, we all have the same invitation. Revelation 22:17

@The Disciple John
I hold to the literal and spiritual interpretation and to me death here is spiritual and that the nephesh cannot die John.
I may, or may not be wrong.
Blessings
J.
What do you mean by "spiritual interpretation"?
To you "nephesh cannot die", but the Bible repeatedly throughout, and in its entirety says nephesh can, and does die.
Leviticus 19:28; Leviticus 20:6; Leviticus 21:11; Leviticus 22:4; Leviticus 23:29-30; Numbers 5:2; Numbers 6:6; Numbers 23:10; Numbers 31:19; Numbers 35:11-15; Numbers 35:30-31; Deuteronomy 19:6, 11; Deuteronomy 22:26; Deuteronomy 27:25; Joshua 2:13-14; Joshua 10:28-39; Joshua 11:11; Judges 5:18; Judges 16:30; 1 Kings 19:1-4, 10, 14; Job 2:6; Job 11:20; Job 36:14; Psalms 26:9; Psalms 33:18-20; Psalms 40:14; Psalms 56:13; Psalms 78:50; Psalms 94:17-22; Psalms 116:8; Psalms 119:175; Isaiah 53:12; Isaiah 55:3; Jeremiah 38:17, 20; Jeremiah 40:14-15; Ezekiel 3:19; Ezekiel 13:19; Ezekiel 18:4, 20, 27; Jonah 4:8; Matthew 2:20

Why go contrary to the Bible, in order to believe what one personal feels?
Why would one prefer to be wrong? Would that not show a lack of faith in God, and his word?

Imagine that I were preaching to you, and you are an unbeliever. You showed me something from the Bible, that clearly says something contrary to my belief. I say, "...but I still believe what I do. If I am wrong. Well..."
What would you think? Would you take the Bible seriously, or those who preach it?

I think that is one way to stumble people, and cause them to lose, what little faith they may have.
It reminds me of those in ancient Israel, who had the responsibility of being guiding lights.
Of them, God said... “Woe to the shepherds who destroy and scatter the sheep of My pasture!” - Jeremiah 23:1

Teaching God's word, in a clear, simple way in which it is presented, from my experience, is very effective in helping people see the difference between those who would lie (as Satan does), and those who teach truth. Sincere seekers of God, I have found, are drawn to truth.
I was one of those sincere seekers of truth. I found it, in the simple truth, taught by his witnesses on earth.

Last edited:

Johann

Apr 2, 2022
Durban South Africa
Faith
Christian
Country
South Africa
For instance…a man is given a measure of trust and receives the down payment of the Holy Spirit.

Agree.

2Co_1:22 Who hath also sealed us, and given the earnest of the Spirit in our hearts.
Eph_1:13 In whom ye also trusted, after that ye heard the word of truth, the gospel of your salvation: in whom also after that ye believed, ye were sealed with that holy Spirit of promise,

Johann

Apr 2, 2022
Durban South Africa
Faith
Christian
Country
South Africa
He should have been led toward growing trust, learning the race without stumbling in trust as much, toward more humility, not less.

Ecc_9:11 I returned, and saw under the sun, that the race is not to the swift, nor the battle to the strong, neither yet bread to the wise, nor yet riches to men of understanding, nor yet favour to men of skill; but time and chance happeneth to them all.
1Co_9:24 Know ye not that they which run in a race run all, but one receiveth the prize? So run, that ye may obtain.
Heb_12:1 Wherefore seeing we also are compassed about with so great a cloud of witnesses, let us lay aside every weight, and the sin which doth so easily beset us, and let us run with patience the race that is set before us,

Who is the "he" you are referring to?

stunnedbygrace

Aug 18, 2018
USA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Agree.

2Co_1:22 Who hath also sealed us, and given the earnest of the Spirit in our hearts.
Eph_1:13 In whom ye also trusted, after that ye heard the word of truth, the gospel of your salvation: in whom also after that ye believed, ye were sealed with that holy Spirit of promise,

So the talent given to the man would be that small seed of trust. More was given to that man than was given to the man who is still blind. So why is he taught to go and condemn the one still blind rather than to grow the investment His Lord gave to him, hoping to see increase on? To whoever more is given, more will be expected. So why is the man instead demanding something of the man to who nothing has yet been given? Is that the right direction for the man to go?

stunnedbygrace

Aug 18, 2018
USA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
We are not wrestling against flesh and blood...but I see that happening right here...the wrestling of "believer" against "believer"

I am not wrestling you…I am wrestling against a doctrine of men/leaven of men that harms those who swallow it and those who are smacked with it.

The Disciple John

Mar 11, 2022
Dennery
Faith
Christian
Country
Saint Lucia
@The Disciple John

I concede, and apologize for bringing up this topic
Blessings
J.
I don't know why you are sorry for bringing up the topic.
I would think it a good thing to bring up the topic in the Bible Study section, and welcome those comments that shed light on what the Bible says on the subject.
It's opens the "window" for viewers.
It can enlighten.

From my experience in "discussions" on forums, I have found the Bible is a little unpopular, when it doesn't agree with what most strongly believe, since most are happy presenting their view as truth.
That's not the case here, I would assume.

Johann

Apr 2, 2022
Durban South Africa
Faith
Christian
Country
South Africa
The thread is about the doctrine of eternal torment…

Of which you do not agree with and I do.
Guess we shall all stand before the judgement seat of Christ either naked or fully clothed over with the righteousness of Christ Jesus and give a full account of every idle, useless and inoperative words we have spoken/typed in words, thoughts and unapproved deeds.
The Lord weighs the reigns and hearts of men sister and His word is a double-edged sword...cutting both ways.
Love you
J.

Reactions: marks

stunnedbygrace

Aug 18, 2018
USA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
It’s okay. You don’t yet know me. I could be a nasty person for all you know!