Living in cheaper foreign countries

• Welcome to Christian Forums, a Christian Forum that recognizes that all Christians are a work in progress.

You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Debp

Jul 5, 2020
California
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Just wondering if anyone ever considered going to a cheaper foreign country to live.

I can't do it. I'm a senior citizen who is a caregiver to my mom.

But it seems one could really stretch their budget living in some other countries.

I have been looking at videos about the cost of living in India. An American guy got a nice, two bedroom apartment for only $167 a month! (Video 3 years old but still practically nothing for rent!) He gets a haircut for only $1.32! Groceries, everything so cheap there.

Anyone adventurous enough to move to a cheaper country?

Reactions: Behold

Augustin56

Apr 16, 2023
United States
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
There are several other countries that are far cheaper to live than the U.S. Ecuador is very popular, especially Cuenca, which is at an evelvation of about 8300 ft. and on the equator. So, there are no seasons. Every day is like Spring weather. And you can live there on about 1/3 the cost of living here, depending on where you live in the U.S. (Sometimes much less.) Here's a good video on it:

Last edited:
Reactions: Debp

Pathfinder7

Mar 8, 2020
North America
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
I was in Brazil..years ago..
- on the mission trip.
---
It seems..living cost is much less than US.
---
During the trip, we had the buffet..everyday.
- Excellent food..
---
*Due to some factors (age..etc)..I cannot live/move there.

Reactions: Debp and Augustin56

JohnDB

Feb 7, 2010
TN
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
There are serious issues with your logic.

Commodities are still market price and often more expensive. Things like gasoline or diesel are not cheaper. (Unless in a OPEC nation under dictator/communist rule)

Medical care....usually poor to non-existent. Things that are "routine" and normal in American health care are a big deal in most "cheaper " nations. The needed procedures and medicines to save your life might not be so readily available for when you need them.

Security concerns....
Because you will be viewed as a "rich American " all sorts of troubles can be had by being a resident. A "safe room" is not exactly that safe. Being proficient with firearms and even having video proof of the local law enforcement being part of illegal activity towards you is not a guarantee of you being able to make a case for your innocence. Spending months in a foreign country's jail is not exactly fun.

There is a lot of concerns with being an American living abroad....lots of people are expatriates and live inexpensively....but there are trade-offs.

Reactions: Cassandra

Augustin56

Apr 16, 2023
United States
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
There are serious issues with your logic.

Commodities are still market price and often more expensive. Things like gasoline or diesel are not cheaper. (Unless in a OPEC nation under dictator/communist rule)

Medical care....usually poor to non-existent. Things that are "routine" and normal in American health care are a big deal in most "cheaper " nations. The needed procedures and medicines to save your life might not be so readily available for when you need them.

Security concerns....
Because you will be viewed as a "rich American " all sorts of troubles can be had by being a resident. A "safe room" is not exactly that safe. Being proficient with firearms and even having video proof of the local law enforcement being part of illegal activity towards you is not a guarantee of you being able to make a case for your innocence. Spending months in a foreign country's jail is not exactly fun.

There is a lot of concerns with being an American living abroad....lots of people are expatriates and live inexpensively....but there are trade-offs.
Gasoline in Ecuador is about $1.80/gallon. Health care in the major cities is rated better than the U.S., and many of the doctors are trained in the U.S. With regard to security concerns, would you live in Chicago or L.A.? Anywhere you go, you have to know where the dangerous zones are and stay away. Ecuador's major crimes are mostly theft. If you're not careful, they'll steal anything not guarded.

dev553344

Jul 14, 2020
USA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
When I worked in California there was a co-worker that would live in Tijuana and commute to work everyday for the cost of living. He probably lived like a king down there. But it is dangerous living down there, especially if you have money.

Reactions: Cassandra and Debp

Debp

Jul 5, 2020
California
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
When I worked in California there was a co-worker that would live in Tijuana and commute to work everyday for the cost of living. He probably lived like a king down there. But it is dangerous living down there, especially if you have money.

Last week on the news they said a lot of people are moving to Mexico City. They tend to live in a couple of areas so you see a lot of Americans in those neighborhoods.

Funny thing is some of the locals are posting signs wanting the foreigners to go home. Kind of the reverse as we get a lot of illegal immigrants here.

Reactions: dev553344

Debp

Jul 5, 2020
California
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Here's the American guy who moved to India and pays only $167 a month for a two bedroom apartment!
Video is three years old.

They do have good doctors in India.

lforrest

Staff member
Admin
Aug 10, 2012
Faith
Christian
Just wondering if anyone ever considered going to a cheaper foreign country to live.

But it seems one could really stretch their budget living in some other countries.

I have been looking at videos about the cost of living in India. An American guy got a nice, two bedroom apartment for only $167 a month! (Video 3 years old but still practically nothing for rent!) He gets a haircut for only $1.32! Groceries, everything so cheap there.

This is where it may be beneficial to have moved to a rich country for work and return when retiring. This way you would have roots in both countries.

Debp

Jul 5, 2020
California
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
This is where it may be beneficial to have moved to a rich country for work and return when retiring. This way you would have roots in both countries.

I know two ladies from Guatemala or maybe it was El Salvador. They worked here for many years and when retired they moved back to their home country.

Yes, their Social Security will go much further there. But the cost of living here in Los Angeles is so terribly high that they really had no choice.

One of them temporarily has come back here for a year trying to help her cousin out with the rent. They all kept the same apartment in order to avoid moving into a new apartment....those rents are unaffordable to all of us....only the professionals or rich can afford them.

Debp

Jul 5, 2020
California
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
One of my cousins (used to live in Arizona) moved his family to Guatemala. They were all taking Spanish. I heard from his mother that he planned to buy a home and have a business there. (He had sold his Arizona business.)

But then the Pandemic broke out! And Marshall Law was going to be put into place. So they fled Guatemala! He bought a home in West Virginia.

• Wow
Reactions: TLHKAJ

Bob Estey

Aug 18, 2021
Sparks, Nevada
Faith
Christian
Country
United States

I'd want to live somewhere where people understood English.

Reactions: Debp