Love Your Enemies

• Welcome to Christian Forums, a Christian Forum that recognizes that all Christians are a work in progress.

You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

jiggyfly

Nov 27, 2009
North Carolina
j:

Please refer to my previous posts.

You want to argue maybe; I don't.

Nah, wasn't wanting to argue, just wanted to be clear about your opinion concerning the topic, but since your not willing or just incapable to elaborate and make it clear I will disregard your post, no worries here.
biggrin.gif

farouk

Jan 21, 2009
North America
Nah, wasn't wanting to argue, just wanted to be clear about your opinion concerning the topic, but since your not willing or just incapable to elaborate and make it clear I will disregard your post, no worries here.
biggrin.gif

j:

All you need is a concordance for you to look up the many instances of the Lord Jesus referring to hell in the Gospels, and reading round you will see their context; you see, there is no need to disregard anything unless you have already decided to.

jiggyfly

Nov 27, 2009
North Carolina
j:

All you need is a concordance for you to look up the many instances of the Lord Jesus referring to hell in the Gospels, and reading round you will see their context; you see, there is no need to disregard anything unless you have already decided to.

I have and it didn't take long before I started to recognize the error of the KJV and other translations that follow the same mistranslations and misrepresentation.
Do you have a Greek lexicon? You may want to try a better translation like Young's literal or Knoch's concordant.

farouk

Jan 21, 2009
North America
I have and it didn't take long before I started to recognize the error of the KJV and other translations that follow the same mistranslations and misrepresentation.
Do you have a Greek lexicon? You may want to try a better translation like Young's literal or Knoch's concordant.

Coupled with your ostensibly kind advice seems to be an agenda to deny the impact of the Lord Jesus' warnings of eternal judgment.

jiggyfly

Nov 27, 2009
North Carolina
Coupled with your ostensibly kind advice seems to be an agenda to deny the impact of the Lord Jesus' warnings of eternal judgment.

Nah, I just deny KJV translation of what Jesus was warning us.

P.S. I'll just ignore your snide remark about my "kind advice" being ostensible.
rolleyes.gif

Robinson Crusoe

Feb 15, 2010

I have Young's Literal Translation and Young's Analytical Concordance,

Revelations 20: 11-15 (Young's Literal Translation),

"And I saw a great white throne, and Him who is sitting upon it, from whose face the earth and the heaven did flee away, and place was not found for them; and I saw the dead, small and great, standing before God, and scrolls were opened, and another scroll was opened, which is that of the life, and the dead were judged out of the things written in the scrolls -- according to their works; and the sea did give up those dead in it, and the death and the hades did give up the dead in them, and they were judged, each one according to their works; and the death and the hades were cast to the lake of the fire -- this [is] the second death; and if any one was not found written in the scroll of the life, he was cast to the lake of the fire."

Martin W.

Jan 16, 2009
Winnipeg Canada
I have seen a lot of Christians become enemies .........
............by arguing over what exactly loving your enemies really means .....

Martin W.

Martin W.

Jan 16, 2009
Winnipeg Canada
I have seen groups of Christians become enemies defending their cherished bible translation
I have not observed much love between those groups.
But each of those groups using their own translations will tell you to love your enemies.

Martin W.

Jan 16, 2009
Winnipeg Canada
It is good when Christians love each other ........
but it is not really that big of a deal because ......
even sinners love those who love them.....

(Those were the words of Jesus by the way)

I find that when people do not read all of a chapter in the bible they completely
mis-understand the one selected verse they are trying to build a doctrine on.
A lot of people enjoy constructing their own pet doctrines and teachings using these methods.
Read Luke 6 again and you will see it is mainly a lecture from Jesus on being a good Christian.
A sub context deals with enemies but that was never the main message.

jiggyfly

Nov 27, 2009
North Carolina
j: is this your example of what it is to be snide? Hell is real.

Yes hell is real but it could not possibly be a place of endless torment because of the scriptural testimony to the contrary.

On a side note, my example of snide is your "Coupled with your ostensibly kind advice" remark and has nothing to do with your posts concerning hell, but since you are not wanting to argue we can just drop the whole thing.

I have Young's Literal Translation and Young's Analytical Concordance,

Revelations 20: 11-15 (Young's Literal Translation),

"And I saw a great white throne, and Him who is sitting upon it, from whose face the earth and the heaven did flee away, and place was not found for them; and I saw the dead, small and great, standing before God, and scrolls were opened, and another scroll was opened, which is that of the life, and the dead were judged out of the things written in the scrolls -- according to their works; and the sea did give up those dead in it, and the death and the hades did give up the dead in them, and they were judged, each one according to their works; and the death and the hades were cast to the lake of the fire -- this [is] the second death; and if any one was not found written in the scroll of the life, he was cast to the lake of the fire."

OK so how does this fit in with the discussion, can you elaborate?

It is good when Christians love each other ........
but it is not really that big of a deal because ......
even sinners love those who love them.....

(Those were the words of Jesus by the way)

I find that when people do not read all of a chapter in the bible they completely
mis-understand the one selected verse they are trying to build a doctrine on.
A lot of people enjoy constructing their own pet doctrines and teachings using these methods.
Read Luke 6 again and you will see it is mainly a lecture from Jesus on being a good Christian.
A sub context deals with enemies but that was never the main message.

Not sure if you read all the posts but the point of the OP being made is not about us or how we should act. I used this scripture text because in it Christ reveals something of His Father's character that seems to conflict with much of the Christian religion, ie; endless torment and or annihilation. This is the point I was hoping would be discussed.

farouk

Jan 21, 2009
North America
j: It won't help to say you agree with Scripture about hell, but then to deny it. But I think I should bow out of this discussion.

Martin W.

Jan 16, 2009
Winnipeg Canada
Yes hell is real but it could not possibly be a place of endless torment because of the scriptural testimony to the contrary.

Not sure if you read all the posts but the point of the OP being made is not about us or how we should act. I used this scripture text because in it Christ reveals something of His Father's character that seems to conflict with much of the Christian religion, ie; endless torment and or annihilation. This is the point I was hoping would be discussed.
jiggyfly

You have overlooked something important.
Yes , the characters' of God and Christ make it difficult to grasp eternal punishment but the person who rejects them has rejected the good characteristics of God as well. When you reject something you do not have it.

A person who rejects God and rejects eternal life by default has chosen eternal punishment and eternal fire (along with the devil and his angels who also reject God).

For example you may be the most kind caring and loving person I could ever hope to meet jiggyfly, but if I reject you and your good character I will not partake in it.

If I do not partake in your kindness I cannot blame you for it right?

Eternal fire is prepared for the devil and his angels. Blame them.

Best regards
Martin

jiggyfly

Nov 27, 2009
North Carolina
jiggyfly

You have overlooked something important.
Yes , the characters' of God and Christ make it difficult to grasp eternal punishment but the person who rejects them has rejected the good characteristics of God as well. When you reject something you do not have it.

A person who rejects God and rejects eternal life by default has chosen eternal punishment and eternal fire (along with the devil and his angels who also reject God).

Best regards
Martin

You have some scripture to support

jiggyfly

Nov 27, 2009
North Carolina
It appears to contradict your position; it seems strange that you "didn't" see that.

I don't see a real conflict in this; where do you?

You honestly don't see a conflict between " you will truly be acting as children of the Most High, for he is kind to the unthankful and to those who are wicked." and the religious paradigm of endless torment?

Robinson Crusoe

Feb 15, 2010
You honestly don't see a conflict between "[font="tahoma][size="2"] you will truly be acting as children of the Most High, for he is kind to the unthankful and to those who are wicked." and the religious paradigm of endless torment?
[/size][/font]

No, I don't. Of course, I can read, but so can you. So, what is your problem?

jiggyfly

Nov 27, 2009
North Carolina
No, I don't. Of course, I can read, but so can you. So, what is your problem?

You seem to think that tormenting someone forever is kind. I think it is plain ludicrous to say there is no conflict, but thats me and I have absolutely nothing vested in religious and traditional paradigm.

I find that if I was to do your bible study for you , it would be of no benefit to either of us.

Thanks
Martin

Thats what I thought, you know you could just say no.