Luke 15 demonstrates that Jesus is a universalist

• Welcome to Christian Forums, a Christian Forum that recognizes that all Christians are a work in progress.

You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Patrick1966

Dec 21, 2022
Orlando, Florida
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
The message is clear - NONE will be lost forever!

Luke 15

English Standard Version

The Parable of the Lost Sheep​

15 Now the tax collectors and sinners were all drawing near to hear him. 2 And the Pharisees and the scribes grumbled, saying, “This man receives sinners and eats with them.”
3 So he told them this parable: 4 “What man of you, having a hundred sheep, if he has lost one of them, does not leave the ninety-nine in the open country, and go after the one that is lost, until he finds it? 5 And when he has found it, he lays it on his shoulders, rejoicing. 6 And when he comes home, he calls together his friends and his neighbors, saying to them, ‘Rejoice with me, for I have found my sheep that was lost.’ 7 Just so, I tell you, there will be more joy in heaven over one sinner who repents than over ninety-nine righteous persons who need no repentance.

The Parable of the Lost Coin​

8 “Or what woman, having ten silver coins,[a] if she loses one coin, does not light a lamp and sweep the house and seek diligently until she finds it? 9 And when she has found it, she calls together her friends and neighbors, saying, ‘Rejoice with me, for I have found the coin that I had lost.’ 10 Just so, I tell you, there is joy before the angels of God over one sinner who repents.”

The Parable of the Prodigal Son​

11 And he said, “There was a man who had two sons. 12 And the younger of them said to his father, ‘Father, give me the share of property that is coming to me.’ And he divided his property between them. 13 Not many days later, the younger son gathered all he had and took a journey into a far country, and there he squandered his property in reckless living. 14 And when he had spent everything, a severe famine arose in that country, and he began to be in need. 15 So he went and hired himself out to[b] one of the citizens of that country, who sent him into his fields to feed pigs. 16 And he was longing to be fed with the pods that the pigs ate, and no one gave him anything.
17 “But when he came to himself, he said, ‘How many of my father's hired servants have more than enough bread, but I perish here with hunger! 18 I will arise and go to my father, and I will say to him, “Father, I have sinned against heaven and before you. 19 I am no longer worthy to be called your son. Treat me as one of your hired servants.”’ 20 And he arose and came to his father. But while he was still a long way off, his father saw him and felt compassion, and ran and embraced him and kissed him. 21 And the son said to him, ‘Father, I have sinned against heaven and before you. I am no longer worthy to be called your son.’[c] 22 But the father said to his servants,[d] ‘Bring quickly the best robe, and put it on him, and put a ring on his hand, and shoes on his feet. 23 And bring the fattened calf and kill it, and let us eat and celebrate. 24 For this my son was dead, and is alive again; he was lost, and is found.’ And they began to celebrate.
25 “Now his older son was in the field, and as he came and drew near to the house, he heard music and dancing. 26 And he called one of the servants and asked what these things meant. 27 And he said to him, ‘Your brother has come, and your father has killed the fattened calf, because he has received him back safe and sound.’ 28 But he was angry and refused to go in. His father came out and entreated him, 29 but he answered his father, ‘Look, these many years I have served you, and I never disobeyed your command, yet you never gave me a young goat, that I might celebrate with my friends. 30 But when this son of yours came, who has devoured your property with prostitutes, you killed the fattened calf for him!’ 31 And he said to him, ‘Son, you are always with me, and all that is mine is yours. 32 It was fitting to celebrate and be glad, for this your brother was dead, and is alive; he was lost, and is found.’”

lforrest

Staff member
Admin
Aug 10, 2012
Faith
Christian
There is also something in common which does not contribute to the universalist argument. All these parables are about something that was lost. But one can only lose what is in their possession to begin with.

God predestined those to be with him, and they are considered lost until they come to him.

Don't forget the ones whom Jesus will turn away because he never knew them.

Reactions: rwb and dev553344

Patrick1966

Dec 21, 2022
Orlando, Florida
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
All these parables are about something that was lost.

In the beginning of the parable of the lost sheep, Jesus is criticized for talking with "sinners".

Do you believe that Jesus will only save a portion of humanity and allow the remainder to be "lost" forever?

PinSeeker

Oct 4, 2021
Nashville
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
"Do you believe that Jesus will only save a portion of humanity and allow the remainder to be "lost" forever?.
Yes.
Agreed. Everyone would be "lost" forever if left to themselves. But then there is grace, and while there is such a thing as common grace, which He gives to all in various ways throughout their lives on earth in various ways, God extends His saving grace only to His elect, those He chose for Himself before the foundation of the world (Ephesians 1). In this way, God "has mercy on whomever He wills, and He hardens whomever He wills" (Romans 9:18). Agreed. Sadly, as Jesus Himself says in Matthew 7:21-23, "Not everyone... will enter the kingdom of heaven... I will declare to them, 'I never knew you; depart from me, you workers of lawlessness.'" And, "these will go away into eternal punishment" (Matthew 25:46).

Grace and peace to all.

Reactions: rwb and lforrest

Patrick1966

Dec 21, 2022
Orlando, Florida
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
And, "these will go away into eternal punishment" (Matthew 25:46).
It seems that your Bible translations contradicts itself.

1 Timothy 4:10
For to this end we toil and strive, because we have our hope set on the living God, who is the Savior of all people, especially of those who believe.

Reactions: St. SteVen

Ronald Nolette

Aug 24, 2020
South Carolina
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
In the beginning of the parable of the lost sheep, Jesus is criticized for talking with "sinners".

Do you believe that Jesus will only save a portion of humanity and allow the remainder to be "lost" forever?
That is exactly what teh bible says. You should accept that and become involved with the work Jesus has called His children to do.

Reactions: Cassandra

PinSeeker

Oct 4, 2021
Nashville
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
It seems that your Bible translations contradicts itself.
LOL! No...

1 Timothy 4:10
For to this end we toil and strive, because we have our hope set on the living God, who is the Savior of all people, especially of those who believe.
As I said before, Jesus is most assuredly the Savior of all in the sense of the sufficiency of His atonement to cover all, and that He is the only Way. As Jesus Himself says:

"I am the way, and the truth, and the life. No one comes to the Father except through Me,"

However, He is not the Savior of all people in the sense of efficaciousness, that the Father has given Him all people. Jesus Himself implies the limited nature of His atonement. As Jesus Himself says:

"All that the Father gives me will come to me, and whoever comes to me I will never cast out... this is the will of Him who sent Me, that I should lose nothing of all that He has given Me, but raise it up on the last day..."

Grace and peace to you, Patrick.

Reactions: rwb

Michiah-Imla

Oct 24, 2020
Northeast USA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
The message is clear - NONE will be lost forever!

“…those that thou gavest me I have kept, and none of them is lost, but the son of perdition; that the scripture might be fulfilled.” (John 17:12)

And those who do not continue in the faith grounded and settled will be lost:

“And you, who were once alienated and enemies in your mind by wicked works, yet now He has reconciled in the body of His flesh through death, to present you holy and without blemish, and without charge in His sight, if indeed you continue in the faith grounded and settled, and are not moved away from the hope of the gospel…” (Colossians 1:21-23)

Why would Paul give advice like this if “universalism” were true?

:IDK:

Patrick1966

Dec 21, 2022
Orlando, Florida
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
So then it's a GOOD thing when people die as infants because they're assured of avoiding damnation, right? It could even be argued that a loving parent SHOULD KILL their infant child in order to ensure that their child gets to Heaven rather than eternal damnation, right?

• Love

Jack

May 3, 2022
Midwest
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
So then it's a GOOD thing when people die as infants because they're assured of avoiding damnation, right? It could even be argued that a loving parent SHOULD KILL their infant child in order to ensure that their child gets to Heaven rather than eternal damnation, right?
Oh my!

Michiah-Imla

Oct 24, 2020
Northeast USA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
It could even be argued that a loving parent SHOULD KILL their infant child in order to ensure that their child gets to Heaven

Except the parent is then assured a place in the lake of fire:

“…ye know that no murderer hath eternal life abiding in him.” (1 John 3:15)

Patrick1966

Dec 21, 2022
Orlando, Florida
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Except the parent is assured a place in the lake of fire:

“…ye know that no murderer hath eternal life abiding in him.” (1 John 3:15)
So Jesus would condemn a parent to eternal torture for killing their infant in order that their infant could avoid eternal torture and live in paradise with Jesus?

Let me put it another way.

Let's say a friend's infant baby dies of SIDS. Should we have a party and celebrate? After all, they're assured of Heaven and have avoided eternal torture, right?

• Love