Made in God’s likeness

• Welcome to Christian Forums, a Christian Forum that recognizes that all Christians are a work in progress.

You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Pearl

Staff member
Encounter Team
Apr 9, 2019
Lancashire
Faith
Christian
Country
United Kingdom
The bible tells us we are made in God’s likeness:

Genesis 1:26
Then God said, “Let us make mankind in our image, in our likeness,

Genesis 5:1
When God created mankind, he made them in the likeness of God.

What do people think of when they read these verses?

How are we made in the likeness of God our creator?

Reactions: Lambano and Nancy

Nancy

Staff member
Apr 30, 2018
Buffalo, Ny
Faith
Christian
Country
United States

Good question. My thoughts are that we have the same "emotions" as God yet, His are perfectly balanced, ours....not so much. "Image"... hmmm, the bible does speak of Him having a face, hands, feet...?
Human emotions can be all over the map but, God's emotions such as, anger, love, patients, kindness, empathy, and so forth are perfectly balanced in every way and His actions from these "emotions" are always just....JMHO.

Reactions: Lambano and Pearl

Not me

May 8, 2019
California, Ca.
Faith
Christian
Country
United States

Hi;

I have read that for this to be true, (and we know it is) the Father, Son and Spirit would have to be in man, in the same relationship to each other as they are in the Godhead, so man was made in the image and likeness of God….

I have found this thought a most interesting one, thought I’d pass in on…

Be blessed in your search into Him, Not me

Reactions: Pearl

Episkopos

May 17, 2011
Montreal
Faith
Christian
Country
Canada

We are a duality of inner man and outer man. The inner man is created in God's image. The outer man replaces the spiritual covering that Adam had in the garden of Eden. Through the carnality of the outer man (and the sin nature embedded within it) we are made to serve the interests of the devil...thinking them to benefit us as self-interest.

We shed the outer man to come under the Headship (and covering) of Christ. We can't have 2 coverings. Paul says (Rom.7) that a wife cannot be married to another unless her husband dies. So it is with the outer man that is our protective covering in this world. When we go to the cross to die in the outer man we are translated to walk where Jesus is in Zion. We receive a new "husband" (covering) after the cross...so that we no longer sin. In Him we walk as He walked. In Him is no sin.

God wants to connect with us in the part that is created in His image. The other part of us has to die for that to happen.

dev553344

Jul 14, 2020
USA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States

I believe God the Father has a body that looks in appearance like iron. It is supported in the second book of Enoch from his same vision of heaven and seeing the Father. We know that the Holy Ghost is spirit. There are also the Father and the Son. And we know that the son has a body of flesh and bones.

The likeness that the bible is describing is the type of animal that we are (mammals) of the human shape. But that's where the similarity between God and man ends.

Pearl

Staff member
Encounter Team
Apr 9, 2019
Lancashire
Faith
Christian
Country
United Kingdom
We are like God in that we are creative: Artists, writers, crafters, musicians and inventors like those who made planes and cars and built bridges of iron. The list is endless and to some degree we all have that creativity.

farouk

Jan 21, 2009
North America
We are like God in that we are creative: Artists, writers, crafters, musicians and inventors like those who made planes and cars and built bridges of iron. The list is endless and to some degree we all have that creativity.
@Pearl I can even see how some Christians would want to include tattoo artists in the list; there's some amazing artwork out there, such a demand for it and lots of opportunity for faith based designs.

Reactions: Pearl

Pearl

Staff member
Encounter Team
Apr 9, 2019
Lancashire
Faith
Christian
Country
United Kingdom
@Pearl I can even see how some Christians would want to include tattoo artists in the list; there's some amazing artwork out there, such a demand for it and lots of opportunity for faith based designs.
Even people who are not born again have that creativity. All of us do.

amigo de christo

Sep 12, 2020
San angelo
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
And yet sadly most use it for evil . THE LORD IS OUR HOPE and OUR SALVATION . Let us HONOR the GLORIOUS LORD .

Pearl

Staff member
Encounter Team
Apr 9, 2019
Lancashire
Faith
Christian
Country
United Kingdom
And yet sadly most use it for evil . THE LORD IS OUR HOPE and OUR SALVATION . Let us HONOR the GLORIOUS LORD .
I wouldn't say most of us use it for evil but a concur that many do - you've only got to see some of the video games and films to see that.

Reactions: amigo de christo