Manifestations

• Welcome to Christian Forums, a Christian Forum that recognizes that all Christians are a work in progress.

You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

deceptionfree

Nov 8, 2012
Serious Question: Is barking like a dog, making jungle animal or farm animal noises a manifestation of the Holy Spirit?

IanLC

Encounter Team
Mar 22, 2011
North Carolina
I would say no but that is my opinion because no where in scripture have a seen these "manifestations" listed. To some they may be beneficial in their subjective personal experience with God but to others they may not. If someone does this I dont believe anything is wrong with it kust make sure you are worshiping in Spirit and Truth!

Justin Mangonel

Nov 7, 2012
I believe that their main function is to break the pride in people. To yield yourself to such strange manifestations you need to really put away all your pride and just do what the Holy Spirit is wanting to do even though it makes you look silly.

The day of Pentacost, even though people thought they were drunk, was decent and in order according to the Holy Spirit. We know about them speaking in other tougnes but is that enough to make someone think you are drunk? Perhaps there was more going on than we know about. Perhaps some of the manifestations that people sometimes thing are strange were happening on that day too.

IanLC

Encounter Team
Mar 22, 2011
North Carolina
Yes but there still needs to be caution. Now myself belong to a Pentecostal-Holiness church we shout, dance in the Holy Spirit, fall out, speak in tongues, run, jump, holler and praise God expressively but I have never seen anyone bark or make animal noises but that does not mean it is not a genuine expereience. Yet that is what it is an experience and thus should not be normalized or formalized for all. Some may do that others will not. We still need to make sure our expressions and manifestation are rooted in the Word of God and lead by the Holy Spirit.

Hezekiah

Oct 30, 2012
Personally, I don't believe God is the author of confusion and that is all these types of things do.

deceptionfree

Nov 8, 2012
The Apostle Paul said that if all spoke in tongues and an unbeliever walked in, they would think everyone was crazy (and turn around and walk right out!). "So if the whole church comes together and everyone speaks in tongues, and some who do not understand or some unbelievers come in, will they not say that you are out of your mind?" (1 Corinthians 14:23; NIV). Are these manifestations from God? If you walked into a church and one or more people were barking uncontrollably like a dog, hissing like a snake, moo-ing like a cow, or jumping around like a monkey, would you stay to hear the message?

Justin Mangonel

Nov 7, 2012
Can nothing happen that is not already in the Bible? Was that all that God had for us? My word...people act like if you can't find it in the Bible it does not exist.

"And there are also many other things which Jesus did, the which, if they should be written every one, I suppose that even the world itself could not contain the books that should be written. Amen."

John 21:25

And,

"Verily, verily, I say unto you, He that believeth on me, the works that I do shall he do also; and greater works than these shall he do; because I go unto my Father."

John 14:12

So, if people can't find two or three witness scriptures in the Bible should they reject something?

Butch5

Butch5
Oct 24, 2009
Homer Ga.
deceptionfree said:
Serious Question: Is barking like a dog, making jungle animal or farm animal noises a manifestation of the Holy Spirit?
Not likely!

Justin Mangonel said:
I believe that their main function is to break the pride in people. To yield yourself to such strange manifestations you need to really put away all your pride and just do what the Holy Spirit is wanting to do even though it makes you look silly.
What makes you think this is of the Holy Spirit?

The day of Pentacost, even though people thought they were drunk, was decent and in order according to the Holy Spirit. We know about them speaking in other tougnes but is that enough to make someone think you are drunk? Perhaps there was more going on than we know about. Perhaps some of the manifestations that people sometimes thing are strange were happening on that day too.
If someone was unfamiliar with the language it could appear to them that the speakers were drunk. However, it seems that the drunken statement what prophesied by Isaiah. In speaking of Christ's coming God said to Isaiah,

KJV Isaiah 28:1 Woe to the crown of pride, to the drunkards of Ephraim, whose glorious beauty is a fading flower, which are on the head of the fat valleys of them that are overcome with wine! (Isa 28:1 KJV)

The crowd said the disciples were drunk, yet God said that it was actually the crowd that was drunk.

UHCAIan said:
Yes but there still needs to be caution. Now myself belong to a Pentecostal-Holiness church we shout, dance in the Holy Spirit, fall out, speak in tongues, run, jump, holler and praise God expressively but I have never seen anyone bark or make animal noises but that does not mean it is not a genuine expereience. Yet that is what it is an experience and thus should not be normalized or formalized for all. Some may do that others will not. We still need to make sure our expressions and manifestation are rooted in the Word of God and lead by the Holy Spirit.
Do you see any of that in the Scriptures?

7angels

Aug 13, 2011
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
there is such a thing as being drunk in the spirit. i have seen it and been a participant in it and it look similar to a drunk person but it happens through laughter. you laugh so hard that you can't stand and your body get sore from laughing so much and you cannot stop laughing and it can be very contagious to any around them.

God bless

Justin Mangonel

Nov 7, 2012
Again, once your experience something it is easier to talk about. Many people who disagree with manifestations of the Spirit are on the outside looking in and that is why they do not understand the value of them.

deceptionfree

Nov 8, 2012
what would the point of barking like a dog be? really though? the drunk in the spirit thing yes - laughing - it's human...barking is not...

IanLC

Encounter Team
Mar 22, 2011
North Carolina
I agree barking like a dog and slithering like a snake will bring me to say yes you are having a spiritual experience but it may be of the demonic. And proper deliverance needs to take place whether that be the casting out of the demon, proper teaching and training or psychiatric evaluation. But that is my opinion some manifestation are not of the Holy Spirit but of a familiar and or demonic spirit. Not everything that manifests under the name of the Lord is of the Lord Jesus!

marksman

My eldest granddaughter showing the result of her
Feb 27, 2008
Melbourne Australia
Faith
Christian
Country
Australia
The truth is, yes and no. All manifestations can be a manifestation of the Holy Spirit and all manifestations can be the work of satan.

What determines one or the other is the outcomes. I will give you an example. I have heard many people say that what is happening at Toronto is of the devil (where some of these animal manifestations happen).

My response to that is I cannot see the devil doing anything that will enable a person to have a closer and more personal walk with the Lord.

Let me explain. I have read countless testimonies of ministers who have gone to Toronto burnt out and ready to quit. Their encounter with God there has revitalised them and they have gone back to their churches new men with their passion restored. That is the last thing that satan wants to happen.

I have read numerous testimonies of people visiting Toronto and under God's anointing have received healing for physical problems that have been troubling them for years. Others have been set free from troubling emotional problems. That would be the last thing that satan would want to happen.

I have been in a meeting near my home where the speaker was John Arnott. At the end he said he wanted all the young people to walk through the "fire tunnel" and get an anointing from God. The tunnel was about 20 adults who liked hands in the shape of a tunnel which the young people would walk through.

By the time it was all over, the floor was littered with bodies. Not one of them had been touched by another person. The anointing was so thick they didn't stand a chance. Satan would not want that to happen.

In a meeting where someone barked like a dog, someone gave a word that as a dog barks when his master comes home, this was a sign that Jesus is coming soon.

In another meeting, someone roared like a lion. The interpretation was that Jesus was coming as the Lion of Judea.

In the NT, there are plenty of examples of supernatural happenings out of the ordinary, so we have to be careful condemning what we don't understand as it is the unforgivable sin calling a work of the Holy Spirit a work of satan.

Graceismine

Dec 16, 2012
New Zealand
Why would God want His children acting like animals? Maybe some people enjoy rolling around on the floor barking, I recall doing it with my children in our play times. :lol:

If it is not a work of Satan then it is a work of the flesh.

Paul talks here concerning spiritual manifestations. 1Co 14:40 Let all things be done decently and in order.

We must ask ourselves "is barking like a dog in a time of worship decent and orderly"?

MTPockets

Aug 4, 2012
deceptionfree said:
Please name me one single creature, (fish, bird, insect, etc), that does not speak. Researchers have confirmed that even plants have the ability to communicate.
This is because everything possessing life, (including the animal world and plant world), contains an ability to speak/communicate.
So, no one should be surprised to learn that the Christian's "new creature" (literal word 'species') also has the ability to speak; in this case, with tongues of men and angels.
God Himself, who is the Origin of all life, speaks; and it is said of Him that He is 'Spirit'. So, spirit beings speak as well. (eg: angels).

Somehow we all must get past the clumsy and frail idea that Christianity is some kinna' believer's group 'er sumthin' like that. We have to begin to realize that we are new creatures ... new beings.
Our Christian experience is not limited to the idea of merely sin and forgiveness and afterwards being rewarded with an eternal existence in heaven. Our Christian life is A NEW LIFE because we were re-born as a NEW Creatures ... not a new moral way of living our life but a NEW FORM of life altogther.

williemac

Apr 29, 2012
Canada
deceptionfree said:
I hadn't realized these things are still going on. I came across them years ago and witnessed first hand a few manifestations that were being shared in a special service for that purpose. Havng come from a charismatic background and having been baptized in the Holy Spirit many years ago, I can tell you that I have seen my share of strange events, and was even for a while a designated "catcher" at alter prayers for those who are supposedly slain in the Spirit. (I will not go into that)
The event that I experienced where these manifestations occured, did not go well. Without going into detail, I will share that at least two of us were given the gift of discerning of spirits and I can tell you that this was not a genuine manifestation of the Holy Spirit.
In 1Cor.12:7, Paul says the manifestation of the Spirit is given to each one for the profit of all. He then gives a list that demonstrates in each case how others benefit from the manifestation. The point is that these are for ministry towards others and are not intended to be merely a far out experience that has some mystery as to the intention.

At the service, aside from the severe check in my spirit, I witnessed that in each of these manifestations the thing they had in common is that they were involuntary outbursts which left the person somewhat embarresed as to his lack of control. These reminded me of a show that I had gone to years ago where a hypnotist named Reveen caused people to do exactly the same kinds of involuntary things such as crow like a rooster. In each case the person showed the same reaction; somewhat bewildered and embarresed.

The power of suggestion that can trick the subconscious mind is both real and enticing, but has no real purpose or benefit that is lasting. It is a temporary experience. It becomes nothing better than a placebo that has little or no lasting benfit to either the person experiencing it or those witnissing it. I am open to objections. However, I have also heard prophecies from these groups that over time have not proven to be accurate.

As well, in these cases, the subject is required to open themselves up to it, thus giving over the control of their phsyche. One of the fruits of the Spirit is self control. The spirits of the prophets are subject to the prophets.There is nothing involuntary about the things that god does in and thropugh His children. I can speak in tongues at will. Or not.

These so called manifestations therefore, are not anything that comes from God in the way described by Paul to the Corinthian church. Mark my words.

veteran

Aug 6, 2010
Southeast USA
deceptionfree said:
The Apostle Paul said that if all spoke in tongues and an unbeliever walked in, they would think everyone was crazy (and turn around and walk right out!). "So if the whole church comes together and everyone speaks in tongues, and some who do not understand or some unbelievers come in, will they not say that you are out of your mind?" (1 Corinthians 14:23; NIV). Are these manifestations from God? If you walked into a church and one or more people were barking uncontrollably like a dog, hissing like a snake, moo-ing like a cow, or jumping around like a monkey, would you stay to hear the message?
Apostle Paul was not talking about an idea like an 'unknown tongue'. He was talking about different languages, known languages of the world. The word "unknown" in the KJV phrase "unknown tongue" is not in the Greek manuscripts at all. It was added by the translators.

Rex

Oct 17, 2012
Kingman AZ
veteran said:
Apostle Paul was not talking about an idea like an 'unknown tongue'. He was talking about different languages, known languages of the world. The word "unknown" in the KJV phrase "unknown tongue" is not in the Greek manuscripts at all. It was added by the translators.
And the translator gets the idea from reading the entire message. It looks clear to me Paul is saying what good are unintelligible words.
If you don't or can't grasp that concept from reading the entire chapter there is nothing left to say, other than this gift created problems then as it does now.
And no amount of hoop jumping is going to change Paul saying an interpreter was needed I don't recall an interpreter being needed at Pentecostal, Why? because they understood in their own tongue, it was a sign for unbelievers just as Paul says in verse 22 Wherefore tongues are for a sign, not to them that believe, but to them that believe not: but prophesying serveth not for them that believe not, but for them which believe. Now in verse two we see another tongue not the same tongue we see in Acts chapter 2 or in acts chapter 10.

14 Follow after charity, and desire spiritual gifts, but rather that ye may prophesy.
2 For he that speaketh in an unknown tongue speaketh not unto men, but unto God: for no man understandeth him; howbeit in the spirit he speaketh mysteries.
3 But he that prophesieth speaketh unto men to edification, and exhortation, and comfort.
4 He that speaketh in an unknown tongue edifieth himself; but he that prophesieth edifieth the church.
5 I would that ye all spake with tongues but rather that ye prophesied: for greater is he that prophesieth than he that speaketh with tongues, except he interpret, that the church may receive edifying.
6 Now, brethren, if I come unto you speaking with tongues, what shall I profit you, except I shall speak to you either by revelation, or by knowledge, or by prophesying, or by doctrine?
7 And even things without life giving sound, whether pipe or harp, except they give a distinction in the sounds, how shall it be known what is piped or harped?
8 For if the trumpet give an uncertain sound, who shall prepare himself to the battle?
9 So likewise ye, except ye utter by the tongue words easy to be understood, how shall it be known what is spoken? for ye shall speak into the air.
10 There are, it may be, so many kinds of voices in the world, and none of them is without signification.
11 Therefore if I know not the meaning of the voice, I shall be unto him that speaketh a barbarian, and he that speaketh shall be a barbarian unto me.
12 Even so ye, forasmuch as ye are zealous of spiritual gifts, seek that ye may excel to the edifying of the church.
13 Wherefore let him that speaketh in an unknown tongue pray that he may interpret.
14 For if I pray in an unknown tongue, my spirit prayeth, but my understanding is unfruitful.
15 What is it then? I will pray with the spirit, and I will pray with the understanding also: I will sing with the spirit, and I will sing with the understanding also.
16 Else when thou shalt bless with the spirit, how shall he that occupieth the room of the unlearned say Amen at thy giving of thanks, seeing he understandeth not what thou sayest?
17 For thou verily givest thanks well, but the other is not edified.
18 I thank my God, I speak with tongues more than ye all:
19 Yet in the church I had rather speak five words with my understanding, that by my voice I might teach others also, than ten thousand words in an unknown tongue.
20 Brethren, be not children in understanding: howbeit in malice be ye children, but in understanding be men.
21 In the law it is written, With men of other tongues and other lips will I speak unto this people; and yet for all that will they not hear me, saith the Lord.
22 Wherefore tongues are for a sign, not to them that believe, but to them that believe not: but prophesying serveth not for them that believe not, but for them which believe.
23 If therefore the whole church be come together into one place, and all speak with tongues, and there come in those that are unlearned, or unbelievers, will they not say that ye are mad?
24 But if all prophesy, and there come in one that believeth not, or one unlearned, he is convinced of all, he is judged of all:
25 And thus are the secrets of his heart made manifest; and so falling down on his face he will worship God, and report that God is in you of a truth.
26 How is it then, brethren? when ye come together, every one of you hath a psalm, hath a doctrine, hath a tongue, hath a revelation, hath an interpretation. Let all things be done unto edifying.
27 If any man speak in an unknown tongue, let it be by two, or at the most by three, and that by course; and let one interpret.
28 But if there be no interpreter, let him keep silence in the church; and let him speak to himself, and to God.
29 Let the prophets speak two or three, and let the other judge.
30 If any thing be revealed to another that sitteth by, let the first hold his peace.
31 For ye may all prophesy one by one, that all may learn, and all may be comforted.
32 And the spirits of the prophets are subject to the prophets.
33 For God is not the author of confusion, but of peace, as in all churches of the saints.
34 Let your women keep silence in the churches: for it is not permitted unto them to speak; but they are commanded to be under obedience as also saith the law.
35 And if they will learn any thing, let them ask their husbands at home: for it is a shame for women to speak in the church.
36 What? came the word of God out from you? or came it unto you only?
37 If any man think himself to be a prophet, or spiritual, let him acknowledge that the things that I write unto you are the commandments of the Lord.
38 But if any man be ignorant, let him be ignorant.
39 Wherefore, brethren, covet to prophesy, and forbid not to speak with tongues.
40 Let all things be done decently and in order.

Reactions: dragonfly