Many are called but few are chosen

• Welcome to Christian Forums, a Christian Forum that recognizes that all Christians are a work in progress.

You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

amadeus

Jan 26, 2008
Oklahoma
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Wow...this verse has hit me full on...I've been going through leanness, and just the last few days He brought me quietness. And I enjoyed it because I haven't had the quietness for...about 4-5 months. But I knew He would place me back in the leanness, because it has happened like this for years.

and the part of the verse that grabbed me is the part that says this is true, whether it's done against a nation o r only one man.

And then, the reason is give n, so that the people (or me) will not be a hypocrite and become ensnared.

So it's like this: when He gives me this quietness, I am fat and happy. And who then can make any trouble for my soul? No one can because He surrounds and envelop s me.

Then, He hides His face and I can't see Him/behold Him. And I trust He hasn't abandoned me because He has said it. But whereas before, nothing could make trouble for my soul, now I'm in a turmoil even APART from anyone else troubling me. Its...bitterness and turmoil And a strange darkness.

And I've known for awhile now that He is exercising my faith in this. But now I see also that He does it so I will not be a hypocrite and become ensnared.

He wants me to know and experience that when He hides, I am nothing, so that when He gives quietnezs, I do not forget that I am still nothing and that He Himself is that quietness.

And when I very young to Him, I always experienced the quietness and I did become puffed up and hypocritical, thinking I was being rewarded for seeking Him more than others. And the result was that He hid from me, which was a new and unwelcome experience.

And since then, it has been back and forth between quietness and leanness. And it's all done to protect me from...myself.

And during the leanness, no man has understood. When I say I can't pray and cannot even pick up my bible, they say I have to try harder. But it is Him hiding, not me making Him hide, and so to try to force myself into His presence would be unseemly.

Early in our walk with God, He will allow for our frailties and our stumbling having a lot of mercy toward us, but as we grow, or as we should be growing, will not His mercy resulting from our foolishness diminish?

"And the times of this ignorance God winked at; but now commandeth all men every where to repent:" Acts 17:30

Reactions: Episkopos

amadeus

Jan 26, 2008
Oklahoma
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
struggling here. I’m not saying this passage does not prove what you think it proves...but I’m not convinced. The master and lord of the unjust steward is the lord of the present world and present kingdom(it is obvious who the master of the unjust steward is). The steward justifies himself before men so they will accept him into their houses when the master lets him go. Christ tells the unjust steward to go ahead...make friends with the mammon...so when it fails because it will fail, since there is no friendship to be had with the unrighteous mammon. That they may receive you into an everlasting home....when? When it fails. “...That when you fail, they may receive you into an everlasting home.” To assume the houses of men one justifies themselves before and the houses of mammon are everlasting...again, I’m not convinced. The Lord said the house of the enemy is coming down. That there is no foundation in the wicked. God says the name of the wicked will end and be no more. There is only one everlasting name. Only one everlasting kingdom. only one everlasting house which is the house of God.
What I see with this unjust steward is a man falling short in the ways of the Master [or maybe the pastor but most certainly, God] where he simply was not doing even the minimum God required. To save his flesh he went to the members of the congregation who effectively materially supported the whole church including the Master because he could not and/or would not go to the bottom [the lowest room as per Luke 14:8-12 ]. The scripture says,

"But seek ye first the kingdom of God, and his righteousness; and all these things shall be added unto you." Matt 6:33 ... but like so many sitting on church pews he was unwilling to put first things first as he should. He would not believe God. He was more concerned with keeping what he had in this world.

Luke 16:13-15
[13] No servant can serve two masters: for either he will hate the one, and love the other; or else he will hold to the one, and despise the other. Ye cannot serve God and mammon. [14] And the Pharisees also, who were covetous, heard all these things: and they derided him. [15] And he said unto them, Ye are they which justify yourselves before men; but God knoweth your hearts: for that which is highly esteemed among men is abomination in the sight of God.

Isn’t it about conversion. Isn’t that the heart of God? The restoration, reconciliation of God and man? Luke 22:31-32 And the Lord said, Simon, Simon, behold, Satan hath desired to have you, that he may sift you as wheat: [32] But I have prayed for thee, that thy faith fail not: and when thou art converted, strengthen thy brethren.

Did God allow Peter to be sifted? “I have prayed for thee, that thy faith fail not...” for the sifting is coming and you will be converted(translated). Acts 14:22 Confirming the souls of the disciples, and exhorting them to continue in the faith, and that we must through much tribulation enter into the kingdom of God.

Why is Christ telling the unjust steward to go ahead and trust in what fails?

Again, I’m sorry but these are my thoughts. Wrong, very likely. Convince me that scripture shows an everlasting habitation for the unjust steward that justifies himself before men.
I must agree with what you see, sister. The unjust steward had a good position given to him by God, but he did not keep his priorities straight. Like many who lean on OSAS believing there is no possibility of failing to please God by a slack attitude, this man was removed from the place where God had placed him. The man did it to himself.

The man still was not lost. He simply could no longer sit on the platform with God's called and chosen ministry. He could have taken a seat with the congregation, but he could not and would not humble himself. to do that. He would rather start his own "church" and take with him anyone willing to support his "ministry" and him rather than continuing to support God or the one that God called [pastor, minister, etc.].

We see here certainly one way that new denominations are born, but new denominations likely quite out of touch with what God desires and requires of His people.

amadeus

Jan 26, 2008
Oklahoma
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Yes, and it gets worse when you add about ten more, LoL. I used to use this analogy with my wife. She would interrupt me during study with some question about dinner, and an entire house of cards in my head would come crashing down, LoL. It wasn't fun. She still does it occasionally, but not as much, and she means no harm so it's hard to be mad at her. :) But it's PAINFUL, LoL.
This I can certainly relate to... I have learned that sometimes when my wife causes my "entire house of cards" to fall down it needed to fall. God was in it. My wife has never been the Bible student I have been, but she has over the years nearly always been the one who first heard the right message from God when we had a major decision to make. God knew exactly what He was doing when He brought us together.

Reactions: Episkopos

Helen

Oct 22, 2011
Faith
Christian
Country
Canada
Like many who lean on OSAS believing there is no possibility of failing to please God by a slack attitude, this man was removed from the place where God had placed him. The man did it to himself.

John, you know that I cannot let your kick at OSAS pass without comment. :D

If I have said it once, I have said it a hundred time...and I can't see why you still do not 'get it'!! I made it bold above.

The man lost his POSITION ...and many in his grouping WILL...what he did NOT lose was his salvation.... he paid a very high price for his unjust and ungodly attitude and actions.

"I go to prepare A PLACE for you..." Whether we fulfill this position is "on us"....just as it was for the unjust steward.

Praying that you eyes be opened to the truth of it. :) xx

Enoch111

May 27, 2018
Alberta
Faith
Christian
Country
Canada
Like many who lean on OSAS believing there is no possibility of failing to please God by a slack attitude, this man was removed from the place where God had placed him.
OSAS is another term for the eternal security of the believer, but that is certainly not an excuse for a lackadaisical attitude or for sinful behavior. Quite the opposite, since Christians are exhorted to work out their own salvation with fear and trembling. If people are using OSAS as an excuse they are either (a) unsaved, (b) ignorant, or (c) failing to understand that God will chastise them sooner or later, and that there is also a "sin unto death" (premature death) for sinning Christians.

Every believer must clearly understand that the eternal security of the believer is not dependent on him, but on (1) the grace of God, (2) the finished work of Christ and (3) the perfection of God's salvation. Those whom God justifies He will eventually glorify, so "losing one's salvation" is out of the question.

ROMANS 8
29 For whom he did foreknow, he also did predestinate to be conformed to the image of his Son, that he might be the firstborn among many brethren.
30 Moreover whom he did predestinate, them he also called: and whom he called, them he also justified: and whom he justified, them he also glorified.

This is not about predestination for salvation but predestination "to be conformed to the image of His Son".

Reactions: Helen

amadeus

Jan 26, 2008
Oklahoma
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
John, you know that I cannot let your kick at OSAS pass without comment. :D

If I have said it once, I have said it a hundred time...and I can't see why you still do not 'get it'!! I made it bold above.

The man lost his POSITION ...and many in his grouping WILL...what he did NOT lose was his salvation.... he paid a very high price for his unjust and ungodly attitude and actions.

"I go to prepare A PLACE for you..." Whether we fulfill this position is "on us"....just as it was for the unjust steward.

Praying that you eyes be opened to the truth of it. :) xx
A number of us may indeed already be finally saved where we will never fail the Lord so as to lose the foundation which is Jesus. The problem is that we do not know our final result. No matter what we think, I believe that Only God knows that. We are still living by faith. When we say that the final reward is already ours while we are still walking through the wilderness we are looking for trouble [even if it really I already ours]. Caleb and Joshua made through to the end, but they had to go through every trial to the end of their course to do it. They did not know that they would make it successfully through every trial. They did not know that they would even live the 40 years much less know that that they would be allowed to enter in as "good and faithful servants". God is and never has been a respecter of persons. Our trial continues until we have overcome the world. Can a person overcome all of his world before the dirt is thrown over his face? I believe so, but how many such overcomers are there? Are you already one? Am I?

stunnedbygrace

Aug 18, 2018
USA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Early in our walk with God, He will allow for our frailties and our stumbling having a lot of mercy toward us, but as we grow, or as we should be growing, will not His mercy resulting from our foolishness diminish?

"And the times of this ignorance God winked at; but now commandeth all men every where to repent:" Acts 17:30

I think those times He goes quiet are greater mercy to us, not less! Because the result is that our soul becomes like a weaned child, with the house at rest finally.

Reactions: amadeus

VictoryinJesus

Jan 26, 2017
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
OK Try explaining this...in the parable of the talents. The Lord says....

Mat. 25:26 “But his lord answered and said to him, ‘You wicked and lazy servant, you knew that I reap where I have not sown, and gather where I have not scattered seed. 27So you ought to have deposited my money with the bankers, and at my coming I would have received back my own with interest

What if the wicked servant had deposited the Lord's money with the bankers? Would he still have been cast into outer darkness?

Have some questions here. I’m working on them; not sure when I’ll get to post them...hopefully later.

VictoryinJesus

Jan 26, 2017
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
OK Try explaining this...in the parable of the talents. The Lord says....

Mat. 25:26 “But his lord answered and said to him, ‘You wicked and lazy servant, you knew that I reap where I have not sown, and gather where I have not scattered seed. 27So you ought to have deposited my money with the bankers, and at my coming I would have received back my own with interest

The questions I have are vast, so much so that I’m not sure how to lay them out other than to include scripture. You asked of the parable. In mentioning the talents given, you shared you see the talents as grace. I’m not disagreeing but maybe there is also this: consider Joseph whom gathered and stored “corn” food for the coming famine. Genesis 41:48-49 And he gathered up all the food of the seven years, which were in the land of Egypt, and laid up the food in the cities: the food of the field, which was round about every city, laid he up in the same. [49] And Joseph gathered corn as the sand of the sea, very much, until he left numbering; for it was without number.

Food. We of Spirit know this food as the Word of God. A famine is to come (and is already here) of another kind., A famine of “hearing the words of God.” Amos 8:11-13 Behold, the days come, saith the Lord God , that I will send a famine in the land, not a famine of bread, nor a thirst for water, but of hearing the words of the Lord : [12] And they shall wander from sea to sea, and from the north even to the east, they shall run to and fro to seek the word of the Lord , and shall not find it . [13] In that day shall the fair virgins and young men faint for thirst.

A famine of hearing. What do the parables show us? Do they not all surround ”hearing” the words of God? We see the seed is the word of God. The sower is God. And the fruit comes by “hearing” the words of God. Romans 10:17 “So then faith cometh by hearing, and hearing by the word of God.” For me, this does not speak of one “hearing” bible verses but “hearing” God...His voice. “My sheep hear my voice.” Also, “He that hath ears to hear, let him hear.”

“For whosoever hath, to him shall be given, and he shall have more abundance: but whosoever hath not, from him shall be taken away even that he hath.”

To Him that has...to Him will be given and he will have an abundance. An Abundance of what? Is it not seed, the “hearing” of the Words of God, and he will have in an abundance. Ministering seed. And God gives the seed. We see this in the parables, right? One that hears the words of God and does(keeps) them, is given to know the mysteries of the kingdom of God. Given in abundance the mysteries of God. Matthew 13 the parable of the sower and the seed. Who hath ears to hear, let him hear. [10] And the disciples came, and said unto him, Why speakest thou unto them in parables? [11] He answered and said unto them, Because it is given unto you to know the mysteries of the kingdom of heaven, but to them it is not given. [12] For whosoever hath, to him shall be given, and he shall have more abundance: but whosoever hath not, from him shall be taken away even that he hath.

Matthew 13:9,23
[9] Who hath ears to hear, let him hear. [23] But he that received seed into the good ground is he that heareth the word, and understandeth it ; which also beareth fruit, and bringeth forth, some an hundredfold, some sixty, some thirty.

Hearing the words of God and doing them brings forth fruit. In every parable. This is so. (Brings forth fruit) Mark 4:23-28 If any man have ears to hear, let him hear. [24] And he said unto them, Take heed what ye hear: with what measure ye mete, it shall be measured to you: and unto you that hear shall more be given. [25] For he that hath, to him shall be given: and he that hath not, from him shall be taken even that which he hath. [26] And he said, So is the kingdom of God, as if a man should cast seed into the ground; [27] And should sleep, and rise night and day, and the seed should spring and grow up, he knoweth not how. [28] For the earth bringeth forth fruit of herself; first the blade, then the ear, after that the full corn in the ear.

Luke 8 Sower and the seed. Luke 8:11 “Now the parable is this: The seed is the word of God.”

Now compare Amos 8:11-13 Behold, the days come, saith the Lord God , that I will send a famine in the land, not a famine of bread, nor a thirst for water, but of hearing the words of the Lord : [12] And they shall wander from sea to sea, and from the north even to the east, they shall run to and fro to seek the word of the Lord , and shall not find it . [13] In that day shall the fair virgins and young men faint for thirst.

They will faint for thirst. There will be a famine of bread (the word). Consider the miracle of the Lord multiplying the loaves of bread. And the man who came to ask the Father in bed with his children for loaves of bread to set before a friend.

Matthew 25:34-37
[34] Then shall the King say unto them on his right hand, Come, ye blessed of my Father, inherit the kingdom prepared for you from the foundation of the world: [35] For I was an hungred, and ye gave me meat: I was thirsty, and ye gave me drink: I was a stranger, and ye took me in: [36] Naked, and ye clothed me: I was sick, and ye visited me: I was in prison, and ye came unto me. [37] Then shall the righteous answer him, saying, Lord, when saw we thee an hungred, and fed thee ? or thirsty, and gave thee drink?

How do you give one thirsty living water to drink?
How do you give someone a change of garment to clothe nakedness?
How do free the captive from prison?
How do you take in a stranger?
How do you heal the sick separated from God?
...the only way is to have seed (bread/Christ) given by God (the Word) to plant that by “hearing” the words of God fruit springs forth. Again, faith comes by “hearing”. Are we not ministers of “hearing” ? Are not all the parables about hearing the words of God? To know the mysteries, given in abundance?

Does Paul not tell them they are sowing carnal things? 1 Corinthians 9:11-14
[11] If we have sown unto you spiritual things, is it a great thing if we shall reap your carnal things? [12] If others be partakers of this power over you, are not we rather? Nevertheless we have not used this power; but suffer all things, lest we should hinder the gospel of Christ. [13] Do ye not know that they which minister about holy things live of the things of the temple? and they which wait at the altar are partakers with the altar? [14] Even so hath the Lord ordained that they which preach the gospel should live of the gospel.

The parable of the talents. The problem is...I’m struggling with believing God takes away from those that don’t have, to give more to others. But rather He is pointing out in every case that the Pharisees are the ones that take from those that hath not. “with what measure ye mete, it shall be measured to you.” And it was measured back to them what they had given. Which shows the importance of not only being a hearer of the words of God, but also a doer of the words of God. But they (the Pharisees)were the hard task masters and it was measured back to them...because this is God: 2 Corinthians 8:12
[12] For if there be first a willing mind, it is accepted according to that a man hath, and not according to that he hath not.

2 Corinthians 8:13-15
[13] For I mean not that other men be eased, and ye burdened: [14] But by an equality, that now at this time with what measure ye mete, it shall be measured to you, that their abundance also may be a supply for your want: that there may be equality: [15] As it is written, He that had gathered much had nothing over; and he that had gathered little had no lack.

As for the man that hid his talent in the earth: Job 28:5 “As for the earth, out of it cometh bread: and under it is turned up as it were fire.”

And the man that laid a pound up in a napkin: John 20:6-7 Then cometh Simon Peter following him, and went into the sepulchre, and seeth the linen clothes lie, [7] And the napkin, that was about his head, not lying with the linen clothes, but wrapped together in a place by itself.

John 11:44
[44] And he that was dead came forth, bound hand and foot with graveclothes: and his face was bound about with a napkin. Jesus saith unto them, Loose him, and let him go.

Last edited:
Reactions: stunnedbygrace

stunnedbygrace

Aug 18, 2018
USA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
VIJ, I understood most of what you were conveying in your last post. It is a valid way to look at it. :)

But concerning: to he who doesn't have, what little he has will be taken from him, it does actually fit with: be doers of the word and not only hearers.

The man had a little. What he did not do with the little he was given (a hearer/receiver but not a doer) is why what little he has was taken from him.

I personally see the talent as a small seed of faith, but then everyone probably already knows that.:D

farouk

Jan 21, 2009
North America
VIJ, I understood most of what you were conveying in your last post. It is a valid way to look at it. :)

But concerning: to he who doesn't have, what little he has will be taken from him, it does actually fit with: be doers of the word and not only hearers.

The man had a little. What he did not do with the little he was given (a hearer/receiver but not a doer) is why what little he has was taken from him.

I personally see the talent as a small seed of faith, but then everyone probably already knows that.:D
The Lord sees the heart; and it's getting the heart of the matter right before God that truly counts before Him in faith.

VictoryinJesus

Jan 26, 2017
Faith
Christian
Country
United States

Still, the parables cause some confusion for me because in both cases of burying or hiding what was given ...was out of fear. Perfect love cast out fear. So either the man burying or hiding didn’t know perfect love which is obvious by the
Luke 19:21 For I feared thee, because thou art an austere man: thou takest up that thou layedst not down, and reapest that thou didst not sow.

Matthew 25:24
[24] Then he which had received the one talent came and said, Lord, I knew thee that thou art an hard man, reaping where thou hast not sown, and gathering where thou hast not strawed:

But then in verses that follow the Lord (Master) of the man agrees. Does God reap where God sowed not?Does God gather where He has not strawed?

That is the question...

Episkopos

May 17, 2011
Montreal
Faith
Christian
Country
Canada
The questions I have are vast, so much so that I’m not sure how to lay them out other than to include scripture. You asked of the parable. In mentioning the talents given, you shared you see the talents as grace. I’m not disagreeing but maybe there is also this: consider Joseph whom gathered and stored “corn” food for the coming famine. Genesis 41:48-49 And he gathered up all the food of the seven years, which were in the land of Egypt, and laid up the food in the cities: the food of the field, which was round about every city, laid he up in the same. [49] And Joseph gathered corn as the sand of the sea, very much, until he left numbering; for it was without number.

Food. We of Spirit know this food as the Word of God. A famine is to come (and is already here) of another kind., A famine of “hearing the words of God.” Amos 8:11-13 Behold, the days come, saith the Lord God , that I will send a famine in the land, not a famine of bread, nor a thirst for water, but of hearing the words of the Lord : [12] And they shall wander from sea to sea, and from the north even to the east, they shall run to and fro to seek the word of the Lord , and shall not find it . [13] In that day shall the fair virgins and young men faint for thirst.

A famine of hearing. What do the parables show us? Do they not all surround ”hearing” the words of God? We see the seed is the word of God. The sower is God. And the fruit comes by “hearing” the words of God. Romans 10:17 “So then faith cometh by hearing, and hearing by the word of God.” For me, this does not speak of one “hearing” bible verses but “hearing” God...His voice. “My sheep hear my voice.” Also, “He that hath ears to hear, let him hear.”

“For whosoever hath, to him shall be given, and he shall have more abundance: but whosoever hath not, from him shall be taken away even that he hath.”

To Him that has...to Him will be given and he will have an abundance. An Abundance of what? Is it not seed, the “hearing” of the Words of God, and he will have in an abundance. Ministering seed. And God gives the seed. We see this in the parables, right? One that hears the words of God and does(keeps) them, is given to know the mysteries of the kingdom of God. Given in abundance the mysteries of God. Matthew 13 the parable of the sower and the seed. Who hath ears to hear, let him hear. [10] And the disciples came, and said unto him, Why speakest thou unto them in parables? [11] He answered and said unto them, Because it is given unto you to know the mysteries of the kingdom of heaven, but to them it is not given. [12] For whosoever hath, to him shall be given, and he shall have more abundance: but whosoever hath not, from him shall be taken away even that he hath.

Matthew 13:9,23
[9] Who hath ears to hear, let him hear. [23] But he that received seed into the good ground is he that heareth the word, and understandeth it ; which also beareth fruit, and bringeth forth, some an hundredfold, some sixty, some thirty.

We could see the talent as the ability to understand the word. Since it is only as one truly understands the word can it bear fruit.

But this understanding is itself according to grace. In Hebrew glory is "weight". So the heavier something is....the more glory it contains. (don't let weightwatchers hear this) :)

We are to bear fruit to bring God glory. But we have no idea what we are to produce. So then God gives us something to reproduce. He gives us a measure of His glory...in the form of grace...so that we can bear fruit by applying it in our lives.

The more weight we can handle....the more we can produce. This is according to our spiritual stature and maturity.
Hearing the words of God and doing them brings forth fruit. In every parable. This is so. (Brings forth fruit) Mark 4:23-28 If any man have ears to hear, let him hear. [24] And he said unto them, Take heed what ye hear: with what measure ye mete, it shall be measured to you: and unto you that hear shall more be given. [25] For he that hath, to him shall be given: and he that hath not, from him shall be taken even that which he hath. [26] And he said, So is the kingdom of God, as if a man should cast seed into the ground; [27] And should sleep, and rise night and day, and the seed should spring and grow up, he knoweth not how. [28] For the earth bringeth forth fruit of herself; first the blade, then the ear, after that the full corn in the ear.

Luke 8 Sower and the seed. Luke 8:11 “Now the parable is this: The seed is the word of God.”

Now compare Amos 8:11-13 Behold, the days come, saith the Lord God , that I will send a famine in the land, not a famine of bread, nor a thirst for water, but of hearing the words of the Lord : [12] And they shall wander from sea to sea, and from the north even to the east, they shall run to and fro to seek the word of the Lord , and shall not find it . [13] In that day shall the fair virgins and young men faint for thirst.

They will faint for thirst. There will be a famine of bread (the word). Consider the miracle of the Lord multiplying the loaves of bread. And the man who came to ask the Father in bed with his children for loaves of bread to set before a friend.

If the world gives you lemons...make lemonade.

If God gives you access to His kind of life...then live in such a way as to produce glory for God.

I see the parable of the talents as a gardening parable...as God is really the Great Gardiner. He plants a tree...and looks for fruit on it. When it has produced a certain weight (glory) of fruit...He prunes it back...and the process begins again...but at a higher level.

I see this as receiving more than one talent...or weight...to work with. We can do nothing on our own. We can only manke money with the Master's money. IOW...we can only bring God glory as we experience His glory.
The parable of the talents. The problem is...I’m struggling with believing God takes away from those that don’t have, to give more to others. But rather He is pointing out in every case that the Pharisees are the ones that take from those that hath not. “with what measure ye mete, it shall be measured to you.” And it was measured back to them what they had given. Which shows the importance of not only being a hearer of the words of God, but also a doer of the words of God. But they (the Pharisees)were the hard task masters and it was measured back to them...because this is God: 2 Corinthians 8:12
[12] For if there be first a willing mind, it is accepted according to that a man hath, and not according to that he hath not.

2 Corinthians 8:13-15
[13] For I mean not that other men be eased, and ye burdened: [14] But by an equality, that now at this time with what measure ye mete, it shall be measured to you, that their abundance also may be a supply for your want: that there may be equality: [15] As it is written, He that had gathered much had nothing over; and he that had gathered little had no lack.

As for the man that hid his talent in the earth: Job 28:5 “As for the earth, out of it cometh bread: and under it is turned up as it were fire.”

And the man that laid a pound up in a napkin: John 20:6-7 Then cometh Simon Peter following him, and went into the sepulchre, and seeth the linen clothes lie, [7] And the napkin, that was about his head, not lying with the linen clothes, but wrapped together in a place by itself.

John 11:44
[44] And he that was dead came forth, bound hand and foot with graveclothes: and his face was bound about with a napkin. Jesus saith unto them, Loose him, and let him go.

There is another parable that resembles this one...

Luke 13: 6 He spake also this parable; A certain man had a fig tree planted in his vineyard; and he came and sought fruit thereon, and found none.
7 Then said he unto the dresser of his vineyard, Behold, these three years I come seeking fruit on this fig tree, and find none: cut it down; why cumbereth it the ground?
8 And he answering said unto him, Lord, let it alone this year also, till I shall dig about it, and dung it:
9 And if it bear fruit, well: and if not, then after that thou shalt cut it down.

Here is the same idea of wastage...and profit. If the tree bears fruit...it can remain. But if not it is cut down and thrown away.

stunnedbygrace

Aug 18, 2018
USA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Still, the parables cause some confusion for me because in both cases of burying or hiding what was given ...was out of fear. Perfect love cast out fear. So either the man burying or hiding didn’t know perfect love which is obvious by the
Luke 19:21 For I feared thee, because thou art an austere man: thou takest up that thou layedst not down, and reapest that thou didst not sow.

[24] Then he which had received the one talent came and said, Lord, I knew thee that thou art an hard man, reaping where thou hast not sown, and gathering where thou hast not strawed:

But then in verses that follow the Lord (Master) of the man agrees. Does God reap where God sowed not?Does God gather where He has not strawed?

That is the question...
There is more than one kind of fear of thing to fear.

What of the fear that says, I know I am not to worry about money for food, clothing, the mortgage. And I know I am to be content with enough for the day. But the way the world works is that I HAVE to store up more than enough for the day or i will have to eat cat food in my old age. So then there is a distrustful fear that maybe He WON'T give me enough every day, which is the mistake of some of the ppl in the desert when He told them to only gather enough for the day but out of fear that He might not provide the next day, they disobeyed and gathered more.

And what of the fear of the loss of the approval of men if you tell them you follow Jesus. You must admit, they're all smiles and nods, but then there is a certain avoidance of you afterwards.

And we know these fears can choke out the seed. They are the opposite of faith.

farouk

Jan 21, 2009
North America

What of the fear that says, I know I am not to worry about money for food, clothing, the mortgage. And I know I am to be content with enough for the day. But the way the world works is that I HAVE to store up more than enough for the day or i will have to eat cat food in my old age. So then there is a distrustful fear that maybe He WON'T give me enough every day, which is the mistake of some of the ppl in the desert when He told them to only gather enough for the day but out of fear that He might not provide the next day, they disobeyed and gathered more.

And what of the fear of the loss of the approval of men if you tell them you follow Jesus. You must admit, they're all smiles and nods, but then there is a certain avoidance of you afterwards.

FYI: Psalm 46.2: 'Therefore will we not fear...'

VictoryinJesus

Jan 26, 2017
Faith
Christian
Country
United States

A distrustful fear...isn’t that a fear coming from the flesh. Worried about the comfort of the flesh. Same as fearing embarrassment or shame or seeking the approval of others, all feels good to the flesh. Romans 13:4
[4] For he is the minister of God to thee for good. But if thou do that which is evil, be afraid; for he beareth not the sword in vain: for he is the minister of God, a revenger to execute wrath upon him that doeth evil.

Perfect love casts out the fear of wrath though. Perfect love (Christ) cast out torment. We are not appointed to wrath. The point, maybe being, in both parables where they hid what was given ... one buried his talent in the ground (earth), the other laid his pound up in a napkin. Both speak of something being hid in “flesh”. (I could give verses). Both parables use fleshly things (money) to teach a spiritual truth. That doesn’t make the masters the same. Same as a fleshly birth might teach of a spiritual birth...doesn’t mean the Father is the same.

Spirit is not a hard task master(just an opinion).. Jesus Christ said His yoke is light. His burden is light. We rest in His finished work. It is when we try to please God in the flesh...this is evil and leads to death. Jesus Christ came to destroy the works of the flesh.

Luke 19:21
[21] For I feared thee, because thou art an austere man: thou takest up that thou layedst not down, and reapest that thou didst not sow.

John 10:15
[15] As the Father knoweth me, even so know I the Father: and I lay down my life for the sheep.

John 10:17
[17] Therefore doth my Father love me, because I lay down my life, that I might take it again. —(I fear thee, because thou art an austere man: thou takes up that thou layedst not down)

John 13:37-38
[37] Peter said unto him, Lord, why cannot I follow thee now? I will lay down my life for thy sake. [38] Jesus answered him, Wilt thou lay down thy life for my sake? Verily, verily, I say unto thee, The cock shall not crow, till thou hast denied me thrice.

John 15:13
[13] Greater love hath no man than this, that a man lay down his life for his friends.

1 John 3:16
[16] Hereby perceive we the love of God , because he laid down his life for us: and we ought to lay down our lives for the brethren.

It is only through the Spirit of God that a man can lay down his life. Peter couldn’t do it before the Spirit was there. It is His(God’s) work that makes love possible.

Reactions: amadeus

Helen

Oct 22, 2011
Faith
Christian
Country
Canada
For I feared thee, because thou art an austere man: thou takest up that thou layedst not down, and reapest that thou didst not sow.

Hi there...NO...
The man said- "I knew thee that thou art an hard man,...etc "

And by now you know where I stand.
So many , many many of God's people..and many on this forum too..have also " judged God " as a hard man. Hell is thrown around
glibly by so many..as if it is nothing...no tears no heart ache.. just a-
" you will end up in hell if you believe this that or the other.." or "if you don't do , or not do this that or the other..you will go to hell"

God wins...and God is love..and losing 98% of humanity is not a "win"...it's a load of bull , but believed by majority.
The only view the man had of God was harsh and negative. So God says ( "with the same measure you meet, it shall be measured back to you.." ) 26 "His lord answered and said unto him, Thou wicked and slothful servant, "thou knewest" that I reap where I sowed not, and gather where I have not strawed..."
He is quoting the man's own view back at him...
He will be to us what we perceive Him to be......and woe unto us if we have never sought diligently for God to reveal His Father heart to us...once we have had a revelation of His Father heart...we will never again accuse Him as many dare to do...

Judgement for sin was poured out on Jesus...and it wasn't for nothing.. but many have never moved out of the OT while with their mouth declaring that the are NT saints!!!

at the end of time...God will reveals man's hearts...and most hearts are OT hard and harsh.

But, each to their own....they believe that " majority is right"....
Just my two cents
Bless you . H

VictoryinJesus

Jan 26, 2017
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Hi there...NO...
The man said- "I knew thee that thou art an hard man,...etc "

And by now you know where I stand.
So many , many many of God's people..and many on this forum too..have also " judged God " as a hard man. Hell is thrown around
glibly by so many..as if it is nothing...no tears no heart ache.. just a-
" you will end up in hell if you believe this that or the other.." or "if you don't do , or not do this that or the other..you will go to hell"

God wins...and God is love..and losing 98% of humanity is not a "win"...it's a load of bull , but believed by majority.
The only view the man had of God was harsh and negative. So God says ( "with the same measure you meet, it shall be measured back to you.." ) 26 "His lord answered and said unto him, Thou wicked and slothful servant, "thou knewest" that I reap where I sowed not, and gather where I have not strawed..."
He is quoting the man's own view back at him...
He will be to us what we perceive Him to be......and woe unto us if we have never sought diligently for God to reveal His Father heart to us...once we have had a revelation of His Father heart...we will never again accuse Him as many dare to do...

Judgement for sin was poured out on Jesus...and it wasn't for nothing.. but many have never moved out of the OT while with their mouth declaring that the are NT saints!!!

at the end of time...God will reveals man's hearts...and most hearts are OT hard and harsh.

But, each to their own....they believe that " majority is right"....
Just my two cents
Bless you . H

I do agree with you. but I would have to say(and it is just an opinion) that works of the flesh are dealt with, cast out into outer darkness. The “unprofitable servant” is flesh. The flesh can not hear God. Matthew 16:17-18 And Jesus answered and said unto him, Blessed art thou, Simon Bar-jona: for flesh and blood hath not revealed it unto thee, but my Father which is in heaven. [18] And I say also unto thee, That thou art Peter, and upon this rock I will build my church; and the gates of hell shall not prevail against it.

Works of the flesh, apart from God are evil and lead to death. Isn’t this what we see in the OT. Isn’t this what we see when the wrath of God remains on a person? Hebrews 6:12
[12] That ye be not slothful, but followers of them who through faith and patience inherit the promises.

We are to pull from the fire and give bread.(Christ). You see it. hopefully I see it. but some only know the wrath of God and not His love. I’d ask God why the napkin that bound the head was separate from the linen.

Luke 17:5-10
[5] And the apostles said unto the Lord, Increase our faith. [6] And the Lord said, If ye had faith as a grain of mustard seed, ye might say unto this sycamine tree, Be thou plucked up by the root, and be thou planted in the sea; and it should obey you. [7] But which of you, having a servant plowing or feeding cattle, will say unto him by and by, when he is come from the field, Go and sit down to meat? [8] And will not rather say unto him, Make ready wherewith I may sup, and gird thyself, and serve me, till I have eaten and drunken; and afterward thou shalt eat and drink? [9] Doth he thank that servant because he did the things that were commanded him? I trow not. [10] So likewise ye, when ye shall have done all those things which are commanded you, say, We are unprofitable servants: we have done that which was our duty to do.

Luke 12:37
[37] Blessed are those servants, whom the lord when he cometh shall find watching: verily I say unto you, that he shall gird himself, and make them to sit down to meat, and will come forth and serve them.

Revelation 3:20
[20] Behold, I stand at the door, and knock: if any man hear my voice, and open the door, I will come in to him, and will sup with him, and he with me.

Reactions: amadeus and Helen

icxn

Oct 6, 2018
Ohio
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
why the napkin that bound the head was separate from the linen.
Since the linen cloth was covering Christ’s body, one could say that it represents those dedicated to offering bodily service to the Church, just like the seven deacons, whereas the napkin are those set apart for the ministry of the word and prayer (Acts 6:2-4). If Lazarus stands for each one of us, once (or still, if you are like me) dead in sin, (linen) grave clothes that bound our hands and feet are the passions of the flesh that hinder us from doing what is good, whereas the napkin covering our head is ignorance, i.e. spiritual blindness. If Christ comes to us (He always does) and finds us studying His teachings, like Mary, and busy with bodily labors for the sake of virtue, like Martha, He removes the stone of hardness from our hearts, opens our inner eyes to the truth and gives us strength to walk the path of righteousness. Through these, divine knowledge as if napkin* and good deeds like linen*, we come to know (like Peter and John) that the Lord has risen… in our heart that is (2 Peter 1:19).

Last edited:

Armadillo

Aug 11, 2017
Ontario
Faith
Christian
Country
Canada
So who are the many?

Who are the chosen?

Chosen by whom? and how?...and for what?

Chosen in Hebrew is election in English.

To be the elect, the chosen, the church, isn't an accident. It's a predetermined act of God. Before Adam sinned, God had a plan to purchase us with His blood. We are all elected but not all will belong to the church of Jesus Christ.