Many today doubt that God exists, what convinces you that He does?

• Welcome to Christian Forums, a Christian Forum that recognizes that all Christians are a work in progress.

You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Gottservant

Oct 19, 2022
Greensborough
Faith
Christian
Country
Australia
Monsabre? said:
If I had the power of God, there's many things I would change; but if I had the Wisdom of God, I wouldn't change a thing (selah)

How would this even begin to make sense, unless there really was a "God"?

I think for me, faith is a journey, I'm already on my way - as Peter said "Where else would we go?"

Taken

Staff member
Encounter Team
Feb 6, 2018
United States
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Does God exist? The Bible says we must believe He is, and becomes the rewarder of those seeking Him. Heb 11:6.
Hi Robert ~ Nice thread!
What convinces you personally that He does exist?
Convinces me? A few things such as:
* Blessing when the impossible becomes manifested.
* The calming comfort when things become overwhelming when no relief logically seems possible.
* Answers to questions I ask of Him that manifest like a surprise gift out of the blue.
* The peaceful inner feeling I experience when I talk to Him.

Glory to God,
Taken

Reactions: Gottservant

Taken

Staff member
Encounter Team
Feb 6, 2018
United States
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
I think for me, faith is a journey, I'm already on my way - as Peter said "Where else would we go?"
Agree as well….it is a journey; a wonderment, scary and hard at times, yet also calming. The mystery of knowing what shall be but not knowing when.

Glory to God,
Taken

Gottservant

Oct 19, 2022
Greensborough
Faith
Christian
Country
Australia
Agree as well….it is a journey; a wonderment, scary and hard at times, yet also calming. The mystery of knowing what shall be but not knowing when.

Glory to God,
Taken
As Martin Luther King said "Faith is taking the first step, when you don't see the whole staircase".

RR144

Feb 12, 2019
INDIANA
www.kingdomherald.com
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Even from the standpoint of the skeptic, a reasonable and candid search into the unknown by the light of what is known will guide the unbiased, intelligent reasoner in the direction of the truth. Laying aside the Bible, and from the standpoint of reason alone, it can be observed that: Belief in a God is grounded in human nature. Man is so constituted as to desire to worship and venerate a Supreme Being, even as other desires – for food, shelter, companionship, knowledge, beauty, etc., are inbuilt. It's impossible to disprove the existence of God. A little thought will lead to the conclusion that to disprove God's existence one must know and thoroughly understand every being, principle, force, etc., in the universe; in other words, one must be omniscient.

360watt

Jun 6, 2020
Christchurch
Faith
Christian
Country
New Zealand
Does God exist? The Bible says we must believe He is, and becomes the rewarder of those seeking Him. Heb 11:6.

What convinces you personally that He does exist?

Well, when I was at university I was introduced to evidence from history of the reliability and testimony of the gospel accounts. Reading the Case for Christ, The Case for Faith and then later Evidence that Demands a Verdict, convinced me of the reality of the faith.

Before that I was a christian.. but didn't know the real evidence. I thought most of the bible was myth, because in many liberal churches.. you can be a christian and not believe the bible. I had believed in Jesus as my Saviour, but wasn't taught you need to take the bible as it is, seriously.

So what did I learn in those books? The main thing was that Jesus' life, death and resurrection can be attested to as real events by evidence from history. If this is true.. then that makes Jesus God.

I know many would appeal to an experience they had in their life.. but I think this is more objective. The feelings come out of this kind of solid faith.. rather than the feelings and experience being the complete guide, in my opinion.

Taken

Staff member
Encounter Team
Feb 6, 2018
United States
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
As Martin Luther King said "Faith is taking the first step, when you don't see the whole staircase".

Thanks for sharing. I am not particularly a fan of MLK. Scripturally Faith (is a gift from God), which begins by one Hearing the Word of God.

I guess MLK meant that “taking the first step”, meant willing to exert the effort, go to where His Word is spoken and open ones ears and actually HEAR the Word of God.

It would be pretty cool for some Minister to rig up his bazillion dollar jet with sky writing capabilities and sky write Scriptures… :)

• Haha

Robert Gwin

Mar 19, 2021
Central Il
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Arrggghhh, someohow I knew I would get a doubting response from you. I could sense it coming. The scripture you're quoting was past tense. Exodus 33:20. Let me share the promise made after that, from Jesus himself:

Matthew 5:8 Blessed are the pure in heart, For they shall see God.
They will sir, and if the first resurrection has happened, they have. But no live being has seen God, as I do not believe the Bible is in error when the Scripture you mentioned states very clearly no man may see me and yet live.

Robert Gwin

Mar 19, 2021
Central Il
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
This creation points to our Creator as many scriptures declare about God. And Jesus was a real person who lived and was crucified as even secular sources attest to the above facts along with eyewitness reports He rose from the dead. So the fact Jesus is a real Person who lived, died, Resurrected from the dead and the Apostles all died the deaths of a martyr then it stands to reason what they wrote about Him in scripture is true and Jesus teachings are the truth. All things exist in Him, were created by Him and He was before all created things as the Creator. The gospel which saves one from their sins is all about Him and He transformed my life in 1980 and I was forever changed, a new creation in Christ the old had passed and all things became new. I have never looked back and my relationship with Jesus has been ongoing daily since that day He saved me in my bedroom that evening when I became born again and experienced the new birth- regeneration. My relationship with Jesus is just as real as the relationship with my wife. We talk all the time throughout the day. Its not audibly but its in my heart/mind. I talk with Him and He brings scripture to my heart and mind all of the time.

hope this helps !!!
Thanks for your testimony Chris, yes sir it does help to hear you sincere words sir.

Robert Gwin

Mar 19, 2021
Central Il
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Scripture and the Existence of God
The Bible opens not with a proof of God’s existence, but with a pronouncement of God’s works: “In the beginning God created the heavens and the earth.” This foundational assertion of Scripture assumes that the reader not only knows already that God exists, but also has a basic grasp of who this God is. Throughout the Old Testament, belief in a creator God is treated as normal and natural for all human beings, even though the pagan nations have fallen into confusions about the true identity of this God. Psalm 19 vividly expresses a doctrine of natural revelation: the entire created universe ‘declares’ and ‘proclaims’ the glorious works of God. Proverbs tells us that “the fear of the Lord” is the starting point for knowledge and wisdom (Prov. 1:7; 9:10; cf. Psa. 111:10). Denying God’s existence is therefore intellectually and morally perverse (Psa. 14:1; 53:1). Indeed, the dominant concern throughout the Old Testament is not whether God is, but who God is. Is Yahweh the one true God or not (Deut. 4:35; 1Kgs. 18:21, 37, 39; Jer. 10:10)? The worldview that provides the foil for Hebrew monotheism is pagan polytheism rather than secular atheism.

This stance on the existence of God continues into the New Testament, which builds on the foundation of the uncompromising monotheism of the Old. In his epistle to the Romans, the apostle Paul insists that God’s “eternal power and divine nature” are clearly perceived from the created order itself. Objectively speaking, there can be no rational basis for doubt about the existence of a transcendent personal creator, and thus there can be no excuse for unbelief (Rom. 1:20). Endued with a natural knowledge of our creator we owe God our honor and thanks, and our failure to do so serves as the primary basis for the manifestation of God’s wrath and judgment. The apostle’s robust doctrine of natural revelation has raised the question of whether anyone can truly be an atheist. The answer will depend, first, on how “atheist” is defined, and second, on what precisely Paul means when he speaks of people “knowing” God. If the idea is that all men retain some genuine knowledge of God, despite their sinful suppression of natural revelation, it’s hard to maintain that anyone could completely lack any cognitive awareness of God’s existence. But if “atheist” is defined as someone who denies the existence of God or professes not to believe in God, Romans 1 not only allows for the existence of atheists – it effectively predicts it. Atheism might then be understood as a form of culpable self-deception.

Paul’s convictions about natural revelation are put to work in his preaching to Gentile audiences in Lystra and Athens (Acts 14:15–17; 17:22–31). Paul assumes not only that his hearers know certain things about God from the created order but also that they have sinfully suppressed and distorted these revealed truths, turning instead to idolatrous worship of the creation (cf. Rom. 1:22–25). Even so, his appeals to general revelation are never offered in isolation from special revelation: the Old Testament Scriptures, the person of Jesus Christ, and the testimony of Christ’s apostles.

Elsewhere in the New Testament, the question of the existence of God is almost never explicitly raised, but rather serves as a foundational presupposition, an unquestionable background assumption. One exception would be the writer to the Hebrews, who remarks that “whoever would draw near to God must believe that he exists and that he rewards those who seek him” (11:6). In general, the New Testament is concerned less with philosophical questions about the existence of God than with practical questions about how sinners can have a saving relationship with the God whose existence is obvious. As in the Old Testament, the pressing question is never whether God is, but who God is. Is Jesus Christ the revelation of God in human flesh or not? That’s the crux of the issue.

Johann.
Wow Joe, what a well thought out testimony, and a fresh approach to it as well. I salute you sir for taking the time to pen this. Yes sir, the biggest distinction between man and the animals is they worship some kind of God. I agree it is true, it would be unnatural to be an atheist. Thanks so much, I appreciate it.

Reactions: Johann

dev553344

Jul 14, 2020
USA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
They will sir, and if the first resurrection has happened, they have. But no live being has seen God, as I do not believe the Bible is in error when the Scripture you mentioned states very clearly no man may see me and yet live.
Interesting I gave you an answer to the OP as to why I believe in God. And all you can do is falsely interpret scripture and attack me with ridicule. Mocking me.

Robert Gwin

Mar 19, 2021
Central Il
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Hi Robert ~ Nice thread!

Convinces me? A few things such as:
* Blessing when the impossible becomes manifested.
* The calming comfort when things become overwhelming when no relief logically seems possible.
* Answers to questions I ask of Him that manifest like a surprise gift out of the blue.
* The peaceful inner feeling I experience when I talk to Him.

Glory to God,
Taken
Thanks Taken for the kind words and your input. I agree that one of the best inheritances is the peaceful feeling that the giving of glory to God gives us.

Reactions: Taken

Robert Gwin

Mar 19, 2021
Central Il
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Well, when I was at university I was introduced to evidence from history of the reliability and testimony of the gospel accounts. Reading the Case for Christ, The Case for Faith and then later Evidence that Demands a Verdict, convinced me of the reality of the faith.

Before that I was a christian.. but didn't know the real evidence. I thought most of the bible was myth, because in many liberal churches.. you can be a christian and not believe the bible. I had believed in Jesus as my Saviour, but wasn't taught you need to take the bible as it is, seriously.

So what did I learn in those books? The main thing was that Jesus' life, death and resurrection can be attested to as real events by evidence from history. If this is true.. then that makes Jesus God.

I know many would appeal to an experience they had in their life.. but I think this is more objective. The feelings come out of this kind of solid faith.. rather than the feelings and experience being the complete guide, in my opinion.
This is interesting, I was under the impression that most colleges would believe your following quote, unless it was a theological university.
Before that I was a christian.. but didn't know the real evidence. I thought most of the bible was myth, because in many liberal churches.. you can be a christian and not believe the bible.
See above
So what did I learn in those books? The main thing was that Jesus' life, death and resurrection can be attested to as real events by evidence from history.
This is very interesting as well, many today do not even believe that Jesus actually existed as a real person. It is nice to learn that even secular higher learning promotes evidence as to his historicity. Thanks for your testimony sir, but in todays society you might seek out converting to LED's which might put your wattage footprint as lesser. ;)

360watt

Jun 6, 2020
Christchurch
Faith
Christian
Country
New Zealand
This is interesting, I was under the impression that most colleges would believe your following quote, unless it was a theological university.

See above

This is very interesting as well, many today do not even believe that Jesus actually existed as a real person. It is nice to learn that even secular higher learning promotes evidence as to his historicity. Thanks for your testimony sir, but in todays society you might seek out converting to LED's which might put your wattage footprint as lesser. ;)

Hehe

Well, I learned the apologetics information from CRU that was on campus. I joined them as a student. They called themselves Tandem at Canterbury Uni.

There is no way my university was going to teach this. Religious studies at this uni was comparing religions and the lecturer was a non Christian.

Ive always liked apologetics since learning some of it. It got me off New Age like beliefs mixing with my Christian faith.

Robert Gwin

Mar 19, 2021
Central Il
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Interesting I gave you an answer to the OP as to why I believe in God. And all you can do is falsely interpret scripture and attack me with ridicule. Mocking me.
I think the Scripture is rather clear on that Dev, but you did make a extremely important point, I did ask and you did answer, so I truly apologize for not recognizing your testimony as being sincere sir. I appreciate you bringing this to my attention, and give you my sincere apology. I will try to do better in the future Dev.

Robert Gwin

Mar 19, 2021
Central Il
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Hehe

Well, I learned the apologetics information from CRU that was on campus. I joined them as a student. They called themselves Tandem at Canterbury Uni.

There is no way my university was going to teach this. Religious studies at this uni was comparing religions and the lecturer was a non Christian.

Ive always liked apologetics since learning some of it. It got me off New Age like beliefs mixing with my Christian faith.
Aah! That did throw me a bit. It was similar with me in college taking as and elective a course of Philosophy, I quit shortly after the class began, no point in paying for what learning what I disagreed with. When a person accepts the Bible as God's word of truth, anything that contradicts that is really not open to discussion. I fully relate sir.

Reactions: 360watt

360watt

Jun 6, 2020
Christchurch
Faith
Christian
Country
New Zealand
Aah! That did throw me a bit. It was similar with me in college taking as and elective a course of Philosophy, I quit shortly after the class began, no point in paying for what learning what I disagreed with. When a person accepts the Bible as God's word of truth, anything that contradicts that is really not open to discussion. I fully relate sir.
Yeah I pulled out of Religious Studies, seeing it was quite different to what I wanted to study. I didn't want an atheist telling me about christianity