MARK 6:3 DID JESUS HAVE BROTHERS AND SISTERS ?

• Welcome to Christian Forums, a Christian Forum that recognizes that all Christians are a work in progress.

You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

tzcho2

Feb 15, 2019
Boston
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
It doesn't talk about her having sex.....virgins don't/didn't have sex.....that has been my point all along. ;)

Mary
It's called adding to scripture to claim that Mary was a perpetual virgin . This is a LIE you are trying to perpetuate. ;)

Marymog

Mar 7, 2017
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Ya, that is true, clearly illustrated in the rc writings that made up myths about mary.

Does your forum name begin with the letter "m" ??? I mean no where have YOU stated that so.... it's just as possible that it starts with a "Z" !!
You are so cute when you get angry and condescending.....:rolleyes:

marks

Oct 10, 2018
SoCal USA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
hi,

Yes, there is an essential reason why Jesus DID NOT have immediate family brothers and sisters. Because Scripture doesn't support it.

First: Scripture does not say that these "brothers and sisters" of Jesus were children of Mary.
Second: The word for brother (or sister), adelphos (adelpha) in Greek, denotes a brother or sister, or near kinsman.
Third:
Luke 2:41-51 describes Mary and Joseph taking Jesus to the temple at the age of twelve soooo if there were up to five or more siblings
why is there no hint of them at all in this account?
Fourth: Never, ever, anywhere does Scripture refer to the “sons of Mary” or “a son of Mary,” but only the son of Mary.
Fifth: In Scripture Mary is ONLY referred to as a Virgin.
Sixth: In John 19:26 Jesus gave his Mother to the care of John even though by law the next eldest sibling would have that responsibility.
Seventh: Post #16 shows how Scripture places these "brothers" as cousins which is in line with the word "adelphos".

The other essential reason is because if Scripture does not support it and one teaches opposite of Scripture they are a false teacher.

Mary

So all of these are arguments from silence, while the plain reading supports Jesus' immediate family.

Without any reason to think otherwise, this expresses a family in the normal terms. You look for definitions, well, it doesn't say this, it doesn't say that, these are all, again, arguments from silence.

But I do appreciate your taking the time to fill me in on your reasons.

I think the sixth point above would maybe be the closest to making me think otherwise, just the same, I have no problem with Jesus appointing John as John believed Jesus, while his brothers didn't yet.

But I have no sense of false teaching about this, again, we read of His mother, and brothers, and sisters, and there is no reason to think that these are anything other than that.

It comes down to you saying that Jesus didn't have siblings, and me saying, the Bible sure reads like He did. And you reply, it doesn't mean that. It doesn't have to mean that so it doesn't.

But it most certainly can mean that, and, arguments from silence being just that, is there an actual argument that we should not understand these verses in this way? That Jesus had sibling?

Much love!
Mark

Marymog

Mar 7, 2017
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
It's called adding to scripture to claim that Mary was a perpetual virgin . This is a LIE you are trying to perpetuate. ;)
No trollkin....I am not perpetrating a lie. I am repeating the 2,000 year teaching of Scripture and The Church which both say she is a virgin. You are repeating the 500 year teaching of the Reformers of the Reformers since the Reformers did not even believe what you believe.

Thank you for your theory though. :rolleyes:

Marymog

Mar 7, 2017
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
But I have no sense of false teaching about this, again, we read of His mother, and brothers, and sisters, and there is no reason to think that these are anything other than that.

Much love!
Mark
Not true....The word adelphos leaves you with the reason to think that they could be anything other than brothers/sisters since adelphos could also be a cousin or half brother.

You are saying the word adelphos ONLY means brother....It doesn't.

Marymog

Mar 7, 2017
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
It looks to me like the Apostles who wrote of Him believed that. Why should I not accept how they wrote?

Much love!

Much love!
Thanks Marks.

Thats what it looks like to YOU? Soooooo what it looks like to other men should be disregarded?

This teaching you support didn't start in earnest until about 500 years ago. You accept what the Reformers of the Reformers wrote on this matter 500 years ago soooo why wouldn't you accept a writing from 1,900 years ago?

tzcho2

Feb 15, 2019
Boston
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
No trollkin....I am not perpetrating a lie. I am repeating the 2,000 year teaching of Scripture and The Church which both say she is a virgin. You are repeating the 500 year teaching of the Reformers of the Reformers since the Reformers did not even believe what you believe.

Thank you for your theory though. :rolleyes:
Why else deny the scriptures that in fact states "Behold Jesus your mother & brothers are looking for you. " ??
& the fact that the Rcc adds a whole slew of false declarations about Jesus mother written in hyper religious exclamations that are not written in the Bible?

tzcho2

Feb 15, 2019
Boston
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Not true....The word adelphos leaves you with the reason to think that they could be anything other than brothers/sisters since adelphos could also be a cousin or half brother.

You are saying the word adelphos ONLY means brother....It doesn't.
;) Half-brother-- refers to the fact that the other sons of His mother Mary, His "brothers" are Jesus' half-brothers because Jesus was conceived by the Holy Spirit.

Pearl

Staff member
Encounter Team
Apr 9, 2019
Lancashire
Faith
Christian
Country
United Kingdom
W
The scripture is clear, Jesus had siblings, several brothers & sisters who were born from the marriage of Joseph & Mary.
Yes, 'cos it say in the bible that Jesus was her first born son, indicating that there were others.

Reactions: farouk

Pearl

Staff member
Encounter Team
Apr 9, 2019
Lancashire
Faith
Christian
Country
United Kingdom
It doesn't talk about her having sex.....virgins don't/didn't have sex.....that has been my point all along. ;)

Mary
The point is a woman is a virgin until she has sex. Once she is married she will have sex and will no longer be a virgin.

Reactions: tzcho2

Pearl

Staff member
Encounter Team
Apr 9, 2019
Lancashire
Faith
Christian
Country
United Kingdom
There are those who even teach the supposed perpetual virginity of Mary.
If Mary was a perpetual virgin then she failed her husband.

Mary was an ordinary woman chosen of God to bear his Son. Where in scripture does it say she didn't live a normal married life?

Reactions: tzcho2

Marymog

Mar 7, 2017
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Why else deny the scriptures that in fact states "Behold Jesus your mother & brothers are looking for you. " ??
& the fact that the Rcc adds a whole slew of false declarations about Jesus mother written in hyper religious exclamations that are not written in the Bible?
I don't deny that it says "brothers" which in Greek is adelphoi which DOES NOT have one meaning. You pretend it has one meaning....You deny facts...how sad for you.

Marymog

Mar 7, 2017
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
;) Half-brother-- refers to the fact that the other sons of His mother Mary, His "brothers" are Jesus' half-brothers because Jesus was conceived by the Holy Spirit.
At NO POINT in Scripture does it say Mary had other children....if it does show it to me....;);)

tzcho2

Feb 15, 2019
Boston
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Yes, Matthew 1 is clear about this.
"til" is the operative word in this sentence.
and <Joseph> Knew her not <UN> -TIL she brought forth a son and they named Him Jesus....."
Then after that Joseph, Mary's husband "knew" her after the birth of her firstborn Son Jesus.

Reactions: farouk

farouk

Jan 21, 2009
North America
"til" is the operative word in this sentence.
and <Joseph> Knew her not <UN> -TIL she brought forth a son and they named Him Jesus....."
Then after that Joseph, Mary's husband "knew" her after the birth of her firstborn Son Jesus.
Exactly.

Reactions: Pearl

tzcho2

Feb 15, 2019
Boston
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
I don't deny that it says "brothers" which in Greek is adelphoi which DOES NOT have one meaning. You pretend it has one meaning....You deny facts...how sad for you.
No one is in denial but you who perpetuates the lies of the rcc/the mary-cult.
...and it just does not wash. It is a blatant Lie & one of the many propagated by the Roman Catholic Church creating it's False /counterfeit religion that opposes true Christianity & battles with the true Church.

Reactions: Pearl