Marrying Again After Divorce ???

• Welcome to Christian Forums, a Christian Forum that recognizes that all Christians are a work in progress.

You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

musicworld

Apr 1, 2009
Canary Islands Tenerife
Hi

I've tried looking in scripture but still can't find anywhere where it mentions about man being able to marry again after divorcing his wife if she has committed adultery against him. I’ve read parts in Corinthians and Romans but the answers were not relative to my question, can anyone help.

Brother Mike

Sep 16, 2008
Rom 7:3 So then if, while her husband liveth, she be married to another man, she shall be called an adulteress: but if her husband be dead, she is free from that law; so that she is no adulteress, though she be married to another man.

Mat 19:9 And I say unto you, Whosoever shall put away his wife, except it be for fornication, and shall marry another, committeth adultery: and whoso marrieth her which is put away doth commit adultery.

The Act of adultery is to find someone while married, and put away the first one.

So, I find some hot little number, and decide I want her and not the wife. So, I divorce the wife, for the new hot little number.

That is Adultery.

Now, I put away a wife, who has commited adultery. Under the Law as paul states, if we marry again, then that person is called a adulterer. Paul was addressing the Law. It was one thing to preach not being under the law then, it was lots harder to change peoples thinking on marriage customs.

Noticed that Paul said they were just "Called" That. He made no reference to it being sin, or that God was upset with that person. we are not under bondage in any case as 1 Cor stated.

1Co 7:15 But if the unbelieving depart, let him depart. A brother or a sister is not under bondage in such cases: but God hath called us to peace.

The first wife or Husband had chosen to depart, by an act of breaking that marriage covenant.

Not everyone is in the same place of faith and must walk to what they have revelation for. My wife cheated on me. Being full of the Spirit and faith, I did not discard her, and though she was with this guy and not me, I decided to stand and believe for her. I decided not to hold any feelings of wrong doing toward her or the guy. I prayed for both of them, and in faith. I am not to consider wrong done to me.

The Lord moved, and opened the eys of my wife, and she came back and now servers the Lord with me, we have been married for almost 19 years.

Not everyone is in that position of understanding, and not everyone obeys God and marries someone that they are not equally yoked to, so we must go where our peace is at, and where our faith is at.......... God in my case, told me to stand and believe for my wife. Each case is different.

Looking into the perferct Law of Liberty: Our Lord Jesus....................... What did Jesus say.

Joh 4:16 Jesus saith unto her, Go, call thy husband, and come hither.
Joh 4:17 The woman answered and said, I have no husband. Jesus said unto her, Thou hast well said, I have no husband:
Joh 4:18 For thou hast had five husbands; and he whom thou now hast is not thy husband: in that saidst thou truly

Jesus told this women that thou has had five husbands................ Jesus considered each one a valid Husband, but he made it clear that shacking up with this other man she was with was not a valid husband. He pointed that out to her.

So, if Jesus considered all five to be husbands, then you may consider someone else to be a wife or a husband. We are not to shack up though with anyone.

Jesus Is Lord.

evanom

May 8, 2010
Bogota Colombia
Hi

I've tried looking in scripture but still can't find anywhere where it mentions about man being able to marry again after divorcing his wife if she has committed adultery against him. I’ve read parts in Corinthians and Romans but the answers were not relative to my question, can anyone help.

www.divorcehope.com

musicworld

Apr 1, 2009
Canary Islands Tenerife
Now, I put away a wife, who has commited adultery. Under the Law as paul states, if we marry again, then that person is called a adulterer
So are you saying if a man divorces his wife after she has commited adultery against him he is not free to marry another? but if he does he shall be called an adulterer?

judd

Apr 2, 2010
Nigeria
Hi

mathew 19 vs 9

Jesus Christ says, I tell you that anyone who divorces his wife, except for sexual immorality and marries another woman commits adultery.

jerryjohnson

Nov 6, 2009
mathew 19 vs 9

Jesus Christ says, I tell you that anyone who divorces his wife, except for sexual immorality and marries another woman commits adultery.

I think you have asked this same question two other times on this forum and another forum you are a part of, check out the answers you got there.

Jesus also says, if we confess He will forgive, and forgives sin is forgotten by Him, right?

Follower

Oct 1, 2008
I think you have asked this same question two other times on this forum and another forum you are a part of, check out the answers you got there.

Jesus also says, if we confess He will forgive, and forgives sin is forgotten by Him, right?

Wrong. Being forgiven for divorce is does not make remarriage anything other than adultery and damaging to society.

jerryjohnson

Nov 6, 2009
Wrong. Being forgiven for divorce is does not make remarriage anything other than adultery and damaging to society.

So you think divorce is the unforgivable sin? That isn't what my Bible says. My Bible also says that when God forgives sin it is buried in the depths of the sea never to be remembered again.

Follower

Oct 1, 2008
So you think divorce is the unforgivable sin? That isn't what my Bible says. My Bible also says that when God forgives sin it is buried in the depths of the sea never to be remembered again.

Remarriage is a sin regardless of any past sins. Also, I doubt anyone seeking remarriage is repentant of past sins.

Jesus said, "Anyone who divorces his wife and marries another woman commits adultery, and the man who marries a divorced woman commits adultery." Do you see anything there about remarriage being okay if you have repented of the divorce? Do see that even a person who has never been divorced is also guilty of sin for maying someone who is divorced? Such a person has no divorce to repent of - how does that fit into your logic?

jerryjohnson

Nov 6, 2009
Remarriage is a sin regardless of any past sins. Also, I doubt anyone seeking remarriage is repentant of past sins.

Jesus said, "Anyone who divorces his wife and marries another woman commits adultery, and the man who marries a divorced woman commits adultery." Do you see anything there about remarriage being okay if you have repented of the divorce? Do see that even a person who has never been divorced is also guilty of sin for maying someone who is divorced? Such a person has no divorce to repent of - how does that fit into your logic?

Maybe your God doesn't forgive. Mine does.

Act 3:19 Repent ye therefore, and be converted, that your sins may be blotted out, when the times of refreshing shall come from the presence of the Lord;

1Jn 1:9 If we confess our sins, he is faithful and just to forgive us our sins, and to cleanse us from all unrighteousness.

Follower

Oct 1, 2008
Maybe your God doesn't forgive. Mine does.

I can see with you that if I don't to some ignoring, I'll spend a lot of time repeating myself: "Remarriage is a sin regardless of any past sins." And, "Do see that even a person who has never been divorced is also guilty of sin for maying someone who is divorced? Such a person has no divorce to repent of - how does that fit into your logic?"

brionne

May 31, 2010
Australia
So are you saying if a man divorces his wife after she has commited adultery against him he is not free to marry another? but if he does he shall be called an adulterer?

no, thats not what Paul is saying.

He says 'except on the ground of fornication' which means if a man (or woman) divorces their mate for any reason 'other then' fornication, then if they remarry they are comitting adultery because God still views the marriage as current.

He only accepts divorce for 2 possible reasons. In the case of death or fornication (on the part of either mate)

In both of these cases, the man or woman is free to remarry and it is not considered adultery.

you missed the part of Pauls words that say

"EXCEPT ON THE GROUNDS OF FORNICATION"

God does not expect an faithful mate to stay married to an unfaithful one.

evanom

May 8, 2010
Bogota Colombia
no, thats not what Paul is saying.

He says 'except on the ground of fornication' which means if a man (or woman) divorces their mate for any reason 'other then' fornication, then if they remarry they are comitting adultery because God still views the marriage as current.

He only accepts divorce for 2 possible reasons. In the case of death or fornication (on the part of either mate)

In both of these cases, the man or woman is free to remarry and it is not considered adultery.

you missed the part of Pauls words that say

"EXCEPT ON THE GROUNDS OF FORNICATION"

God does not expect an faithful mate to stay married to an unfaithful one.

The reason there is so much confusion on this is largely due to bad biblical translations. Neither Jesus or Paul ever spoke of 2 valid reasons for divorce. Biblical translations sometimes fail to make a distinction between separation and divorce. However, when the translations DO make a somewhat clear distinction, then it's just plain modern paradigms that once again fail to make the distinction. There is no such thing as prohibition to divorce and remarry in the Bible, save in some particular cases. God Himself enacted the legal form of dissolving marriages (i.e. divorce) in Deuteronomy. Man is too imperfect to have successful marriages 100% of the time, that's why He created divorce. Keeping two people together in a failed or corrupt marriage is very destructive. And prohibiting them to remarry is even worse.

Remember, God says that the prohibition to marry is a doctrine of the devil. Prohibiting divorcees to remarry or telling them its a sin to do so is to practice a doctrine of Satan himself. Jesus was not talking about prohibiting divorcees to get married again, He was prohibiting those who were merely seperated from doing so. Married and divorced ARE NOT synonyms. If a person is divorced, that means he IS NOT married. If he IS NOT married, then he is single and free to date and/or get married. Saying that a divorcee is actually married and not divorced at all so he/she can't remarry makes no sense whatsoever.

You must study Paul's and Jesus' sayings in the original greek and hebrew to get a clear understanding. Then study Deuteronomy and Judaic law in regards to divorce. Ask God for guidance on all of this.

brionne

May 31, 2010
Australia
The reason there is so much confusion on this is largely due to bad biblical translations. Neither Jesus or Paul ever spoke of 2 valid reasons for divorce. Biblical translations sometimes fail to make a distinction between separation and divorce. However, when the translations DO make a somewhat clear distinction, then it's just plain modern paradigms that once again fail to make the distinction.

Jesus gave adultery as the only reason for divorce according to Matthew 5:31-32

There is no such thing as prohibition to divorce and remarry in the Bible, save in some particular cases. God Himself enacted the legal form of dissolving marriages (i.e. divorce) in Deuteronomy. Man is too imperfect to have successful marriages 100% of the time, that's why He created divorce. Keeping two people together in a failed or corrupt marriage is very destructive. And prohibiting them to remarry is even worse.

Malachi 2:13-16 shows us quite adequately that divorce is something that God 'hates'

If you look at Jesus words about divorce, he showed us Gods viewpoint when he was questioned about why Moses gave the isrealites a 'certificate of divorce' at Matthew 19:3-9 he says it was because of a mans 'hard heartedness', not because God thought it was ok to divorce.

Remember, God says that the prohibition to marry is a doctrine of the devil. Prohibiting divorcees to remarry or telling them its a sin to do so is to practice a doctrine of Satan himself. Jesus was not talking about prohibiting divorcees to get married again, He was prohibiting those who were merely seperated from doing so. Married and divorced ARE NOT synonyms. If a person is divorced, that means he IS NOT married. If he IS NOT married, then he is single and free to date and/or get married. Saying that a divorcee is actually married and not divorced at all so he/she can't remarry makes no sense whatsoever.

You must study Paul's and Jesus' sayings in the original greek and hebrew to get a clear understanding. Then study Deuteronomy and Judaic law in regards to divorce. Ask God for guidance on all of this.

It really depends on the situation. If the mate has died, then yes, the person is free to remarry.

If the mate committed adultery and they got divorced ,then yes, the person is free to remarry.

If I deliberately plan to committ adultery in order to divorce my husband, then I will be held accountable for that action before God but he would be free to remarry.

The innocent party is always free to remarry....but a separated couple are told that they must remain single or make up with each other again and keep the marriage going because God hates divorce.

WhiteKnuckle

Mar 29, 2009
The Jews asked Jesus, "Is it lawfull to divorce your wife for any reason?" Jesus told them, "Moses allowed for you to divorce because of your hard hearts" But it was not always so from the beginning......

Jesus then began to describe what you guys are talkig about,,,,If anyone divorces it's not okay for them to remarry, except to be reunited to their spouse. The exceptions are,,,,,

Adultery, death, and a non believing spouse leaving. Paul stated that If a non believing spouse can't live with the believer and leaves, then it's okay for the believer to remarry, because such a non believer is not bound by the covenant. However, the believer shouldn't leave the non believer if they can live together,,,(Paul says "how do you know you will not save them?"

The act of divorce is still not sin, but, marrying somone else is adultery if the conditions aren't met for divorce in the first place.

It's pretty simple.

Now as to whether someone who has divorced and remarried for another reason, is it adultery,,, I don't know. It seems that if you commited adultery by marrying another then that makes your first marriage potentialy void. And, makes your new marriage binding.

That's not a good way to look at it, as using sin, to make a new sin Okay. Obviously if you repented of your adultery, that's forgiven, and you must remain un married or return to your original spouse.

However, If your spouse left you and then remarried, that makes them an adulterer and you're free and clear with no repentence needed on your part.

It's simpler to me to remain married. What ever problems can be worked out. People are just lazy and selfish,,,,,,,,,,,,

WhiteKnuckle

Mar 29, 2009
Seem like you are saying that God does not forgive sin. My God does!

Not what I'm saying at all.

What I'm saying is,

If you get married after divorcing and remarry it's adultery. What I'm saying is,, you can't say,, "Well, this marriage is adultery, so, now that makes my old marriage null. So, If I repent of this adultery, it makes this new marriage okay"

If you truely repented, then that "marriage" would end, and you'd either stay un married or be reconciled to your original spouse.

However, it does seem to me that if your spouse divorced you and remarried, that makes them an adulterer. So, then you're free to marry someone else.

God does forgive, but it's not repentence if you stay in the same situation.

Get drunk, repent, get drunk, repent,,, It doesn't work that way.

evanom

May 8, 2010
Bogota Colombia
Jesus gave adultery as the only reason for divorce according to Matthew 5:31-32

Again i will insist that you study your hebrew roots as the english translations will confuse you on this one. Remember, your Lord and Saviour is not an Englishman with long blonde hair and blue eyes, He's a hebrew who follows Torah! So first, understand that Torah enables divorce. Simply read Deuteronomy 24. Second, Yeshua came to reinstate His Father's Torah as the Jews had greatly perverted and corrupted it with things such as the Talmud and other man-made doctrines. He went so far as to say that not one jot nor one tittle would pass of the Torah, so imagine the irony of "invalidating" an entire article!

So in regards to divorce: how had the jews corrupted its practice to the point that Yeshua had to re-teach them properly on the subject? You'll find it in
Matthew 19:7-8: And here's where you're gonna have to study the ancient texts and hebrew culture.AV Mt 19:7 They say unto him, Why did Moses then command to give a writing of divorcement, and to put her away? Mt 19:8 He saith unto them, Moses because of the hardness of your hearts suffered you to put away your wives: but from the beginning it was not so

APOSTASION and APOLUO are two different Greek words which mean two different and separate things: APOSTASION is a certificate of divorce and APOLUO is separation. APOSTASION is what God enacted in His law and APOLUO is what the jews were simply practicing at their discretion. To separate from your spouse and re-marry was adultry because SEPARATION did not equal DIVORCE, or better yet APOLUO did not/ does not equal APOSTASION.

Moses had permitted APOLUO since the Israelis were overly rebellious and were not divorcing. They were simply leaving their spouses (separating - APOLUO) and finding new partners. So there was a waiver on this situation. But Yeshua came and said "no more". He would not permit these practices any longer and would reinstate the correct way, the original way: Or you stay married or you get divorced, but separating would no longer be considered a termination of a marriage. ANy relationship with a "separated" person would be adultry since that person continues bound to a marital convenant and partner.

Malachi 2:13-16 shows us quite adequately that divorce is something that God 'hates'

Malachi 2:13-16 shows us quite adequately that INFIDELITY is something that God 'hates'. Again, think of how illogical it is for God to author divorce in Deut. 24 and here say that He hates it.

If you look at Jesus words about divorce, he showed us Gods viewpoint when he was questioned about why Moses gave the isrealites a 'certificate of divorce' at Matthew 19:3-9 he says it was because of a mans 'hard heartedness', not because God thought it was ok to divorce.

Again, put things in their correct order: it wasn't Moses who ok'ed AOPSTASION because of mans 'hard heartedness', it was God Himself who ok'ed it because of His law in Deut. 24. What Moses Ok'ed was APOLUO as a marital termination. This is what the Pharasees were asking Yeshua; that why did Moses approve both ways (APOSTASION and APOLUO) as legitimate marriage terminations. Yeshua answered because of man's hardened heart, but this was not the correct way. He was now correcting the way.

It really depends on the situation. If the mate has died, then yes, the person is free to remarry.

If the mate committed adultery and they got divorced ,then yes, the person is free to remarry.

If I deliberately plan to committ adultery in order to divorce my husband, then I will be held accountable for that action before God but he would be free to remarry.

The innocent party is always free to remarry....but a separated couple are told that they must remain single or make up with each other again and keep the marriage going because God hates divorce.

This is largely human philosophy. Please study all of those "divorce" verses all over again placing the words "APOLUO" and "APOSTASION" where they go respectively. English Bibles won't help you with this. Ask God for direction and do a study (Internet has plenty resources).
It's simpler to me to remain married. What ever problems can be worked out. People are just lazy and selfish,,,,,,,,,,,,

Dont judge people in their marriages and/or divorces. Only God knows the turmoil, heartache and distress within a failed marriage and calling them lazy or selfish is unfair and sinful.

Keane

Jun 9, 2010
[/quote]

When you read comments like the statement above, it is easy to see why people married to those who suffer from mental illness rarely find support in the church.

My wife of 23 years suffers from a disease called borderline personality disorder, but she is a committed Christian. She is even aware that she has a problem, and wishes that she could feel what healthy people describe as love. We've sought counseling in the Church, but usually receive comments like the one above, or the more common 'demon possession'. Since mental health experts predict that 2% of all women suffer from this disorder, I often find myself urging my fellow believers to refrain from such rash comments.

I'm not saying this because I want people to feel sorry for my situation, but my wife is completely aware that she is not able to fulfill our marriage vows by being an emotionall support for me.

Maybe I'm wrong, but in my study of Jesus' comments, it appeared that he was specifically targeting the people who stood in front of him, then more generally, all of us. The practice of 'divorce for any reason' had pervaded the Jewish society, and it appears that Jesus was trying to tell them that marriage was a binding contract that could not be annulled just because the wife burnt a meal. I may be wrong, but I wonder if the comments of Jesus were a condemnation of the practice of 'divorce for any reason' as opposed to his attempt to annul the old testament teachings on divorce.