Martial Arts for self defense

• Welcome to Christian Forums, a Christian Forum that recognizes that all Christians are a work in progress.

You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

dev553344

Jul 14, 2020
USA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
I uploaded a picture of a lady doing martial arts, but deleted when someone thought it was not suitable.

It's something that a lot of women do, as well as men. Do you think your ex-gf (that forgot to mention to you her existing bf) was into martial arts also?
Yeah I saw the picture. Some of the people on this forum are very old school with their religion.

I don't think she was into martial arts no.

farouk

Jan 21, 2009
North America
Don't know. After he tried to punch me, she came outside with us and straightened him out that they weren't dating. She was really pretty and I liked her so I dated her for a while after, but then I moved and later married someone else.
Oh okay so he was really already her ex-bf, but just hadn't received the memo. yet, so to speak...........

Reactions: dev553344

dev553344

Jul 14, 2020
USA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Oh okay so he was really already her ex-bf, but just hadn't received the memo. yet, so to speak...........
LOL, yeah he must not be a memo checker. My block should have reminded him of the memo:

65037048.jpg

dev553344

Jul 14, 2020
USA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
@shortangel you might want to read this also:

Remember that a person practicing martial arts who wrongfully uses his or her skills can be arrested and charged with criminal assault. Misdemeanor assaults can result in fines and probationary charges, but felony assault charges can result in long-term incarceration in a state or even federal prison. Karate For Self-Defense: What’s Legal? - The Martial Way

SERVANTedu

May 31, 2022
Midwest-ish
teenchallengetx.org
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
I watched this documentary a while back and ever since then I decided... No. And stayed away from pretty much everything martial arts.

I got into yoga again for a bit and I assume I opened myself up to things by doing so even though I don't care about the "spiritual" parts. At all.

So I had quit, but during flexibility exercises, some of the same poses come up, but what is a person supposed to do... age into the tin man instead?

I guess the answer here probably relies on understanding but also common sense.

Curious what @SERVANTedu thinks :)

Well, one of my favorite pastors Jeff Durbin at apologia church is a blackbelt in five different disciplines. I dont practice martial arts myself, unless you count boxing. . . I enjoy the exercise and find its almost as good to zone out as doing dishes . That being said, yoga is a spiritual practice and all the poses in yoga are designed to honor different deities and events in the Hindu religion. There is no such thing as Christian yoga, lol. . . Those Korean stretches are the best though @LadyofFireandLace

Reggie Belafonte

Mar 16, 2018
Brisbane
Faith
Christian
Country
Australia
I watched this documentary a while back and ever since then I decided... No. And stayed away from pretty much everything martial arts.

I got into yoga again for a bit and I assume I opened myself up to things by doing so even though I don't care about the "spiritual" parts. At all.

So I had quit, but during flexibility exercises, some of the same poses come up, but what is a person supposed to do... age into the tin man instead?

I guess the answer here probably relies on understanding but also common sense.

Curious what @SERVANTedu thinks :)
I started off in Judo as soon as I was of age, as all of my family did Judo, I love it ! best education I ever had, it's all about reality and the spiritual side is worthy facts that will strengthen ones own mind, not Christianity tho but worthy of this world, not to mention much of such so called spiritual may be bastardised in Martial Arts, just as Christianity is nowadays a load of BS that lacks Christ Jesus foundations.
The Spiritual part that I learnt in Judo was just practical points, so one was not under delusions of yourself or others and you had to prove yourself worthy, but I had a good teacher. when we moved the next Judo Sensei was nothing like the one that we had had.

I looked down on my school days as in regards to some teachers because many lacked in reality, they had lacked the guts and fortitude to be a person within themselves, they were just dupes to the system. Not man enough to be a man I would say, in the sense that they were not truly mature enough to understand to deal with reality, they lived in a fantasy world and promoted such dribble.
I challenged then on some points and they had the hide to say they did not care about the truth, but only the test results that we were marked on was the only issue they were peddling. So that shows the depth of such ding bats and there integrity as a person. but to have them go on a rampage of abuse at me for questioning them.

I had one ding bat that loved giving me the cane, he even threatened to take me out in the bush and bash me up and that was in front of the whole class. I would of took him on no problems, if he tried but I said nothing only because due to of my dad. I had more fights than he had hot dinners, so fighting was not feared as I would just kick in and go for it the instant they started. in fact I loved them to make the first move, he would not of had a chance thinking back, I would not like to take me on back then at my age.

But I found out 30 years later that this teacher was a child molester and a poofter grooming boys and much more things I found out that were going on in that small town and why some people were like they were at school etc, they had been molested !

Being able to defend yourself brings much clarity, because one is not delusional ?

Michiah-Imla

Oct 24, 2020
Northeast USA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
I find that very few Christians prepare for these scenarios:

“But I say unto you, That ye resist not evil: but whosoever shall smite thee on thy right cheek, turn to him the other also.” (Matthew 5:39)

“Why do ye not rather take wrong? why do ye not rather suffer yourselves to be defrauded?” (1 Corinthians 6:7)

Lambano

Jul 13, 2021
Island of Misfit Toys
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
The picture is expressive but inappropriate with cleavage showing (not to mention, a tattoo of a dragon). I hate that men gravitate to imagery like this. It places value on the wrong thing.
Okay I'll delete the picture (it didn't strike me as bad...not a few women in church would be similar, anyway)
I trust brother Farouk was more interested in the lady's tats than he was her t-, er, cleavage.

Lambano

Jul 13, 2021
Island of Misfit Toys
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
That being said, yoga is a spiritual practice and all the poses in yoga are designed to honor different deities and events in the Hindu religion.
One of my college roomies was into martial arts. Kendo (he had a cool shinai, the wooden sword they use), Karate, and Tai Chi. The Tai Chi also had a "spiritual" side to it. He'd prattle on about Chi, "spiritual energies". That raised some red flags with me then, and it still does now.

For those of you who've practiced Tai Chi, is this "spiritual" stuff normal, or was it just that particular sensei?

Last edited:
Reactions: Matthias

farouk

Jan 21, 2009
North America
I find that very few Christians prepare for these scenarios:

“But I say unto you, That ye resist not evil: but whosoever shall smite thee on thy right cheek, turn to him the other also.” (Matthew 5:39)

“Why do ye not rather take wrong? why do ye not rather suffer yourselves to be defrauded?” (1 Corinthians 6:7)
Hi @Michiah-Imla Remember also that the OP was from a woman, and for women to be able to defend themselves from the assaults of men is Scriptural.

Just expecting women to be passive in the face of physically ill intentioned men is not Scriptural.

The Proverbs 31 woman - among her various other qualities - was someone who tried to keep strong physically: "She girdeth her loins with strength, and strengtheneth her arms" (verse 17).

cc @Lambano (I'm sure you would agree...)