Martial Arts for self defense

• Welcome to Christian Forums, a Christian Forum that recognizes that all Christians are a work in progress.

You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Lambano

Jul 13, 2021
Island of Misfit Toys
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
ok i was going to put this in the morality forum but i thought i would try here first, should Christians use martial arts for self defense like karate, judo TKD? what are everyone's thoughts on this? i don't take martial arts classes but any opinions would be nice
At my age, I have to use other tools for self-defense. There's already a 95+ page thread on THAT subject. :D

Michiah-Imla

Oct 24, 2020
Northeast USA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Just expecting women to be passive in the face of physically ill intentioned men is not Scriptural.

No?

“And see, and, behold, if the daughters of Shiloh come out to dance in dances, then come ye out of the vineyards, and catch you every man his wife of the daughters of Shiloh, and go to the land of Benjamin.” (Judges 21:21)

“And the children of Benjamin did so, and took them wives, according to their number, of them that danced, whom they caught: and they went and returned unto their inheritance, and repaired the cities, and dwelt in them.” (Judges 21:23)

The women of today (including the Christian ones by and large) are so far removed from women like Ruth and Esther… by light years!

Michiah-Imla

Oct 24, 2020
Northeast USA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
@farouk

“But if a man find a betrothed damsel in the field, and the man force her, and lie with her: then the man only that lay with her shall die: But unto the damsel thou shalt do nothing; there is in the damsel no sin worthy of death: for as when a man riseth against his neighbour, and slayeth him, even so is this matter: For he found her in the field, and the betrothed damsel cried, and there was none to save her.” (Deuteronomy 22:25-27)

Notice that the scripture is not expecting the damsel to counter attack the man. Just cry for help.

farouk

Jan 21, 2009
North America
No?

“And see, and, behold, if the daughters of Shiloh come out to dance in dances, then come ye out of the vineyards, and catch you every man his wife of the daughters of Shiloh, and go to the land of Benjamin.” (Judges 21:21)

“And the children of Benjamin did so, and took them wives, according to their number, of them that danced, whom they caught: and they went and returned unto their inheritance, and repaired the cities, and dwelt in them.” (Judges 21:23)

The women of today (including the Christian ones by and large) are so far removed from women like Ruth and Esther… by light years!
This is not a model for behavior today among Christians.

farouk

Jan 21, 2009
North America
@farouk

“But if a man find a betrothed damsel in the field, and the man force her, and lie with her: then the man only that lay with her shall die: But unto the damsel thou shalt do nothing; there is in the damsel no sin worthy of death: for as when a man riseth against his neighbour, and slayeth him, even so is this matter: For he found her in the field, and the betrothed damsel cried, and there was none to save her.” (Deuteronomy 22:25-27)

Notice that the scripture is not expecting the damsel to counter attack the man. Just cry for help.
If you are saying that it's unscriptural of a woman to resist being assaulted in this way, then I don't agree with you at all. Not in the slightest.

farouk

Jan 21, 2009
North America
@Michiah-Imla Years ago my good mother was attacked by young thieves. She managed to resist them, although injured.

I hope you are not saying that in such circumstances in the face of violent young men my good mother was supposed to have invited even more injury from them.

Michiah-Imla

Oct 24, 2020
Northeast USA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
If you are saying that it's unscriptural of a woman to resist being assaulted in this way

Tamar resisted her brother Amnon:

“Howbeit he would not hearken unto her voice: but, being stronger than she, forced her, and lay with her.” (2 Samuel 13:14)

Michiah-Imla

Oct 24, 2020
Northeast USA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Years ago my good mother was attacked by young thieves. She managed to resist them, although injured

I am sorry to hear that.

But if she would have just surrendered her belongings, like Christ taught, would she have been injured?

farouk

Jan 21, 2009
North America
I think it's disgusting advice to give to a woman that she should just let a violent pervert do his worst to her.

This is why I drew the OP's attention to this:

...and to this:

TLHKAJ

Sep 12, 2020
US
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Okay I'll delete the picture (it didn't strike me as bad...not a few women in church would be similar, anyway)
Of course it didn't. It's what men like. They think nothing of it, bc women are objects (to most men).

Michiah-Imla

Oct 24, 2020
Northeast USA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
I think it's disgusting advice to give to a woman that she should just let a violent pervert do his worst to her.

Do you not have faith that a Godly woman would be protected by God from situations like these?

If you’re going to live by the sword of “self defense” than you better hope the attacker isn’t stronger than you.

I’d rather trust in God who is stronger than all.

farouk

Jan 21, 2009
North America
@TLHKAJ Did you see the dreadful advice to women being given in the above few posts about how a woman should just let a violent pervert do his worst to her?

TLHKAJ

Sep 12, 2020
US
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
The point of the picture was martial arts. But it's deleted and we can move on in any case.
Good. Maybe you me could think first before posting videos and photos of women that portray them in ways that aren't how God sees women. If you (or any other professing Christian) wants to see cleavage it should be your own wife's cleavage.
Moving on....

TLHKAJ

Sep 12, 2020
US
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
@TLHKAJ Did you see the dreadful advice to women being given in the above few posts about how a woman should just let a violent pervert do his worst to her?
No, I did not ....probably because I have about a third of the men on this site on ignore.

farouk

Jan 21, 2009
North America
No, I did not ....probably because I have about a third of the men on this site on ignore.
Okay well someone seems to be advising women just to let violent perverts do their worst to them, without resisting. And by God's grace I am repeatedly rejecting that very unsound advice.

TLHKAJ

Sep 12, 2020
US
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
I did so see the picture before you deleted it, and I thought the dragon tattoo-sleeve on her right shoulder and upper arm was very professionally done.
Professional, but not appropriate....