MATTHEW 3:11 BAPTISMS

• Welcome to Christian Forums, a Christian Forum that recognizes that all Christians are a work in progress.

You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

LC627

May 11, 2018
USA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
First of all - where does the bible say there WEREN'T children in these households. Peter said that the promise was for them AND their CHILDREN (Acts 2:39). WHY are the Early Church Father UNANIMOUS in stating that this was a teaching passed down by the Apostles themselves??

Secondly - we're NOT talking about John's Baptism - but the Baptism of CHRIST. This is the Baptism of regeneration - of REBIRTH (John 3:5).

Finally - as to Ezekiel's prophecy - it parallel's what Peter wrote about BAPTISM (1 Pet. 3:21).
Sorry - but you don't have a Scriptural or historical leg to stand on here . . .

John 3:5 is not a reference to Christian baptism, it's a reference to Ezekiel's prophecy. How / why would a Jewish teacher of Israel know of Christian baptism? By the reaction of Jesus, Jesus expected Nicodemus to know the answer.

It's being "Born of the Spirit" that counts, the new life brought forth by the Holy Spirit.
1 Corinthians 12:13 - We were all baptized by one Holy Spirit. And so we are formed into one body. It didn’t matter whether we were Jews or Gentiles, slaves or free people. We were all given the same Spirit to drink.

Also, 1 Peter 3:21, Αντίτυπο in Greek means "antitype" and an antitype is a symbol. It's not the water that does the saving, it's symbolic. Those under the OT knew the blood of the animals didn't remove sin but they served as an antitype of the perfect sacrifice to come.

Anyways, I hope you all have a great day, I'm heading out of town, be back in a few days. I've said my peace with this thread, I'll see you guys around. Good night :)

Last edited:
Reactions: Doug and mailmandan

ScottA

Feb 24, 2011
www.CheeseburgersWithGod.com
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
WRONG again.
James uses the SAME root word for "believe" (v. 19) as he does "faith" (pisteuo) in verse 24. and in ALL the other verses in this chapter.

YOUR problem is your rejection of CONTEXT . . .
And that's the problem: The "root" that you have made your god, is literary and foolishness.

Thus, by your actions you have rejected the actual Root which makes the word Spirit and the Word.

BreadOfLife

Jan 2, 2017
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
John 3:5 is not a reference to Christian baptism, it's a reference to Ezekiel's prophecy. How / why would a Jewish teacher of Israel know of Christian baptism? By the reaction of Jesus, Jesus expected Nicodemus to know the answer.

It's being "Born of the Spirit" that counts, the new life brought forth by the Holy Spirit.
1 Corinthians 12:13 - We were all baptized by one Holy Spirit. And so we are formed into one body. It didn’t matter whether we were Jews or Gentiles, slaves or free people. We were all given the same Spirit to drink.

Also, 1 Peter 3:21, Αντίτυπο in Greek means "antitype" and an antitype is a symbol. It's not the water that does the saving, it's symbolic. Those under the OT knew the blood of the animals didn't remove sin but they served as an antitype of the perfect sacrifice to come.

Anyways, I hope you all have a great day, I'm heading out of town, be back in a few days. I've said my peace with this thread, I'll see you guys around. Good night :)
BOTH John 3:5 and Ezekiel 36:25-27 are about Baptism.

As for Nicodemus NOT understanding this – this is precisely why Jesus chided him:

John 3:9-10
Nicodemus answered and said to him, “How can this happen?”
Jesus answered and said to him, “You are the teacher of Israel and you do not understand this?

As for the water – the water itself doesn’t save you – but the Baptism of Christ DOES (John 3:5, Mark 16:16, 1 Pet. 3:21) because it is water and SPIRIT.

BreadOfLife

Jan 2, 2017
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
And that's the problem: The "root" that you have made your god, is literary and foolishness.

Thus, by your actions you have rejected the actual Root which makes the word Spirit and the Word.
In other words - YOU don't have a Scriptural or linguistic leg to stand on . . .

Grams

Jul 11, 2017
brown city
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Gal: 2:

For I through the law am dead to the law, that I might live unto God.

I am crucified with Christ: neverthless I live; yet not I, but Christ liveth in me: and the life which I now live in the flesh I live by the faith of the Son of God, who loved me, and gave himself for me.

I do not frustrate the grace of God: for if righteousness come by the law, then Christ is dead in vain.

Reactions: ScottA

BreadOfLife

Jan 2, 2017
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Gal: 2:
For I through the law am dead to the law, that I might live unto God.
I am crucified with Christ: neverthless I live; yet not I, but Christ liveth in me: and the life which I now live in the flesh I live by the faith of the Son of God, who loved me, and gave himself for me.
I do not frustrate the grace of God: for if righteousness come by the law, then Christ is dead in vain.
Paul is referring to the LAW of Moses - so I'm not sure why you posted these verses . . .

Marymog

Mar 7, 2017
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Maybe the fire is the Holy Ghost as well but the verse in Acts says like fire

And there appeared unto them cloven tongues like as of fire, and it sat upon each of them. Acts 2:3
No maybe about it....The fire IS the Holy Ghost and the Holy Ghost is the fire.

CONTEXT: Divided tongues, as of fire, appeared among them, and a tongue rested on each of them. 4 All of them were filled with the Holy Spirit and began to speak in other languages, as the Spirit gave them ability.

Bible study Mary

mailmandan

Feb 24, 2020
The Midwest
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
I

In this case Jesus was simply saying He was going to be submerged/immersed into suffering.

Baptism does not always mean with water, as with the case with fire.
Amen! In Luke 12:50, Jesus said - "But I have a baptism to be baptized with, and how distressed I am till it is accomplished!" Of course Jesus was not distressed about water baptism, but being "immersed" into suffering, namely His sacrificial death on the cross.

Reactions: Eternally Grateful

mailmandan

Feb 24, 2020
The Midwest
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Demons are fallen angels, of course they believe, they have seen heaven and have no reason to not believe. Their fate is sealed and repentance is not offered to fallen angels.
Amen! In James 2:19, we read that the demons believe "mental assent" that "there is one God," but they do not believe in/have faith in/trust in/reliance in Jesus Christ for salvation. In other words, they do not believe in the Lord Jesus Christ and are not saved. (Acts 16:31) Their trust and reliance is in Satan, as demonstrated by their rebellion in heaven and continuous evil works.

Reactions: Eternally Grateful

Eternally Grateful

Feb 27, 2020
Columbus, ohio
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Amen! In James 2:19, we read that the demons believe "mental assent" that "there is one God," but they do not believe in/have faith in/trust in/reliance in Jesus Christ for salvation. In other words, they do not believe in the Lord Jesus Christ and are not saved. (Acts 16:31) Their trust and reliance is in Satan, as demonstrated by their rebellion in heaven and continuous evil works.
Hey stranger!

amen, Mere belief has never saved anyone, it takes true living faith

Sadly, many believe, yet have never met God personally

Reactions: mailmandan

Doug

Apr 29, 2018
south
Faith
Christian
Country
United States

1 Peter 3:21 speaks of the resurrection of Christ assuring the remnant of Israel that Christ was raised to sit on David's throne in their promised kingdom on earth.....Acts 2:30