Matthew 7:22-23

• Welcome to Christian Forums, a Christian Forum that recognizes that all Christians are a work in progress.

You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

charity

Nov 26, 2017
UK
Faith
Christian
Country
United Kingdom
Hi Chris,
Just re-reading some posts
"* It is important also to know: - Who is speaking? and, To Whom? Isn't it? At what time? What is actually being said (or the words used) ? What comes before, and what comes after (the context) ? Who is speaking? To whom? At what time? With what intent? - [e.g., What is the Kingdom being referred to? and the day spoken of in the words, 'in that day'?]"

It certainly is important to know these things. Who was the audience? Was it before or after the cross?? In That Day...well, that should tell us something, Amen!
Context, context, context...kinda like, "location, location location" lol. Jesus addresses different people at different times.

"And they cried out, saying, "What business do we have with each other, Son of God? Have You come here to torment us before the time?"
Matthew 8:29

"So Jesus said to them, "My time is not yet here, but your time is always opportune."
John 7:6

"And Jesus said to her, "Woman, what does that have to do with us? My hour has not yet come." John 2:4

And, as I'm sure you know, there are lots of other scriptures mentioning the "time" of things.

Before the Cross, every person was under the law...but, everything changed after the Cross and the Resurrection...
Hello again, Nancy,

It helps to be able to remain objective when in a forum situation, and I find that having a manner of approach to a problem which takes our own ideas, opinions, thoughts and feelings out of the picture, is vital. For only then can we deal with the facts and reach common ground based only on what is written.

* Using the following 7 W's, helps:-

1) Who said or wrote it
2) To whom was it said or written, or concerning whom was it said of written.
3) Where was it said or written, or concerning 'where' was it said or written.
4) What was said or written
5) When was it said or written, or concerning 'when' was it said or written.
6) Why was it said or written.

* Applying these questions helps to put the passage into it's proper context and gives us the right perspective on it. Only then can we determine whether the application is applicable to our situation, or what it's true application is.

* This breakdown is not mine, but that of an author of a book I have, entitled '40 Problem Passages' by Michael Penny. He based it on that given by Bishop Miles Coverdale, who lived over 400 years ago, and brought out the first Bible in print, who said:-

'It shall greatly help you to understand Scripture,
if you mark
not only what is spoken, or written
but of whom,
and to whom,
with what words,
at what time,
where,
to what intent,
with what circumstance,'
considering what goes before
and what follows.

In Christ Jesus
Chris

Last edited:
Reactions: Nancy

charity

Nov 26, 2017
UK
Faith
Christian
Country
United Kingdom
Hello again, Nancy,

It helps to be able to remain objective when in a forum situation, and I find that having a manner of approach to a problem which takes our own ideas, opinions, thoughts and feelings out of the picture, is vital. For only then can we deal with the facts and reach common ground based only on what is written.

1) Who said or wrote it

* Applying these questions helps to put the passage into it's proper context and gives us the right perspective on it. Only then can we determine whether the application is applicable to our situation, or what it's true application is.

* This breakdown is not mine, but that of an author of a book I have, entitled '40 Problem Passages' by Michael Penny. He based it on that given by Bishop Miles Coverdale, who lived over 400 years ago, and brought out the first Bible in print, who said:-

'It shall greatly help you to understand Scripture,
if you mark
not only what is spoken, or written
but of whom,
and to whom,
with what words,
at what time,
where,
to what intent,
with what circumstance,'
considering what goes before
and what follows.

In Christ Jesus
Chris
'Not every one that saith unto Me, "Lord, Lord,"
.. shall enter into the kingdom of heaven;
.... but He that doeth the will of My Father which is in heaven.
Many will say to me in that day,
.. "Lord, Lord, have we not prophesied in Thy name?
.... and in Thy name have cast out devils?
...... and in Thy name done many wonderful works?
And then will I profess unto them,
.. "I never knew you:
.... depart from me,
...... ye that work iniquity.
Therefore whosoever heareth these sayings of mine,
and doeth them,
I will liken him unto a wise man,
which built his house upon a rock: ... ... '

(Mat 7:21-24)

Hi @Nancy,

* How does (#61) - quoted above, help in regard to Matthew 7:21-24?

* Our Lord spoke these words:-
- To Whom? - Matthew 5:1-2
- Of Whom? - Matthew 7:15-20
- What was spoken? (see above)
- What came before & What came after in the context?
- Where? - Matthew 4:13, Matthew 4:23-25 & Matthew 5:1
- At What time? - At the beginning of the Lord's earthly ministry, after the calling of the twelve.
- To what intent? - Matthew 7:24, that His hearers may not be hearers of His Words only but Doers of it too: with the view to entry into the Kingdom which is of Heaven (Matthew 7:21).
- With what circumstance - In view of the coming Kingdom and of the day approaching (Matthew 7:22), 'in that day', 'The Lord's Day' or 'the day of the Lord', in which the Lord would/will come again - as Judge.

* This is just a basic outline, there is so much more to consider. Such as:-
* Does this have application to us?
* If so what application are we to make of it?

Thank you
In Christ Jesus
Chris

Last edited:
Reactions: Nancy

charity

Nov 26, 2017
UK
Faith
Christian
Country
United Kingdom
* Does Matthew 7:21-24 have application to us?

Hello there,

I can only speak for myself: for as a member of the church which is His Body the fulness of Him that filleth all in all (Ephesians 1:22-23), which was established following Israel's final rejection of the Lord Jesus Christ as their Messiah and King, both in the land and in the diaspora, at the end of the Acts period, just before the destruction of Jerusalem in AD70.

* I don't believe that this has application to me: for my eternal hope is set in heavenly places in Christ Jesus, and not in the Kingdom of Heaven upon the earth.

* Wonderful works, prophecy and the casting out of devils - these are not part of the Church which is the Body of Christ. If these were in evidence then they would give cause for suspicion anyway.

* Here in Matthew 7, The Lord Jesus Christ had come to 'His Own': to the lost sheep of the house of Israel; to confirm the promises made to the fathers. To them He proclaimed the Kingdom and the King. Which they rejected at this His first advent. Except for the believing remnant, the nucleus of which was sat listening to Him when He spoke these words in Matthew 7. Praise God!

* The Old Covenant was made with Israel, and the New Covenant will be made, again, with Israel. It will come into force when Christ returns and all Israel shall be saved.

In Christ Jesus
Chris

* Romans 5:12-8:39; Ephesians, Philippians, Colossians,
1 & 2 Timothy, Titus & Philemon.

Last edited:

Nancy

Apr 30, 2018
Buffalo, Ny
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Hello again, Nancy,

1) Who said or wrote it

In Christ Jesus
Chris

'Not every one that saith unto Me,

Hi @Nancy,

* How does (#61) - quoted above, help in regard to Matthew 7:21-24?

* Our Lord spoke these words:-
- To Whom? - Matthew 5:1-2
- Of Whom? - Matthew 7:15-20
- What was spoken? (see above)
- What came before & What came after in the context?
- Where? - Matthew 4:13, Matthew 4:23-25 & Matthew 5:1
- At What time? - At the beginning of the Lord's earthly ministry, after the calling of the twelve.
- To what intent? - Matthew 7:24, that His hearers may not be hearers of His Words only but Doers of it too: with the view to entry into the Kingdom which is of Heaven (Matthew 7:21).
- With what circumstance - In view of the coming Kingdom and of the day approaching (Matthew 7:22), 'in that day', 'The Lord's Day' or 'the day of the Lord', in which the Lord would/will come again - as Judge.

* This is just a basic outline, there is so much more to consider. Such as:-
* Does this have application to us?

Thank you
In Christ Jesus
Chris

Thank you Chris!
I do try to remain objective and keep any personal "feelings" and such out...it doesn't always play out that way though :oops:
I saved the 7 "W's" to my desktop and will attempt to build solid study habits as, I'm a good reader, but...study? - not so great at.
When I get home from Church later, I will get back to the rest of your Posts!
Have a blessed day!!
nancy

Reactions: charity

Nancy

Apr 30, 2018
Buffalo, Ny
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Oh, yes, Nancy. I have the two-volume work on my shelves, Praise God! I think I had them as either a Christmas present or a birthday present from my husband. They are a reference work written by Dr E.W. Bullinger for which he received an award from Queen Victoria no less. :) It is called, 'Figures of Speech used in the Bible'.
The names given for all of these figures of speech can appear daunting, but in fact it is written very simply, and can be a blessing. There are links online to view it, or for free download, which I have on a memory stick: but there is no substitute for having the volumes themselves; for you can look in the index at the back and see if there is a figure of speech in the verse you are considering, and you will be told where to look, and often there is more than one, it certainly expands your understanding of what is being said.

With love in Christ Jesus
Chris

Wonderful thoughtful gifts!
I will try after this afternoon to see if I can get this book on Amazon. The actual book itself is definitely preferable. Thank you!

Nancy

Apr 30, 2018
Buffalo, Ny
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Oh, yes, Nancy. I have the two-volume work on my shelves, Praise God! I think I had them as either a Christmas present or a birthday present from my husband. They are a reference work written by Dr E.W. Bullinger for which he received an award from Queen Victoria no less. :) It is called, 'Figures of Speech used in the Bible'.
The names given for all of these figures of speech can appear daunting, but in fact it is written very simply, and can be a blessing. There are links online to view it, or for free download, which I have on a memory stick: but there is no substitute for having the volumes themselves; for you can look in the index at the back and see if there is a figure of speech in the verse you are considering, and you will be told where to look, and often there is more than one, it certainly expands your understanding of what is being said.

With love in Christ Jesus
Chris

This book should be here by the 15th of this month! Yay :D