Matthew 7:22-23

• Welcome to Christian Forums, a Christian Forum that recognizes that all Christians are a work in progress.

You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

shnarkle

Nov 10, 2013
Faith
Other Faith
Country
United States
Oh, I replied alright, even showed you how Jesus told us to pray, asking forgiveness of our sins as... believers.

And if one is a believer on Christ Jesus, then that believer is under the New Covenant. The old covenant is dead, no more.

Thanks for your deflection. Are you ever going to address what I actually posted? What kind of believer? You don't seem to see that you're presenting the EXACT same conditions for the covenant you claim is no more. You don't even seem to be able to grasp this fundamental fact. If you'd bother to address what I actually posted, you might be able to advance an argument. As it stands now, you're just running around in circles posting the same irrelevant stuff over and over. Address what I posted or I'll just simply click "ignore".

Davy

Feb 11, 2018
Southeastern U.S.
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Thanks for your deflection. Are you ever going to address what I actually posted? What kind of believer? You don't seem to see that you're presenting the EXACT same conditions for the covenant you claim is no more. You don't even seem to be able to grasp this fundamental fact. If you'd bother to address what I actually posted, you might be able to advance an argument. As it stands now, you're just running around in circles posting the same irrelevant stuff over and over. Address what I posted or I'll just simply click "ignore".

I have addressed what you posted, more than once now.

You said Christ's kingdom doesn't come by observation as a reply to my warning post about the NWO system. I replied to not get sucked up into the 'kingdom now' propaganda. And then you went into a philosophical tirade about the deceived and materialism. You began to lose focus. With your statement about Joseph, you went completely off topic.

I went back on topic with my reply. Then you got nasty.

And now you are bearing false witness against me, and obviously trying to start an argument. I'm don't have time to argue with little children. Welcome to my Ignore List.

Nancy

Apr 30, 2018
Buffalo, Ny
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
No Nancy. The very one that Apostle Paul was warning about in 2 Thessalonians 2 coming to work lying wonders and signs will be the devil, parading as Messiah in Jerusalem. This is why our Lord Jesus warned in Rev.12:7-17 about Satan being cast out of Heaven down to this earth at the end, and his going to persecute those who keep God's commandments and have the Testimony of Jesus Christ. He also warned of this in Matthew 24:23-26 of the deceptions that false one will work in Jerusalem for the end. Rev.11 tells he will ascend out of the bottomless pit to kill God's two witnesses in Jerusalem.

@charity said:
"There will be many working 'miracles', even in His Name, 'in that day', will there not? In the form of lying signs and wonders. They will not be men of faith, otherwise our Lord would not say that He never knew them. They will be counterfeit. Remember Jannes and Jambres in the time of Moses? (2 Timothy 3:8)"

In response, I said:

"I think we can (sometimes)<---edited in- forget that satan also has powers to work lying "signs and wonders" through to deceive and, these "miracle workers" who Jesus said He never knew, could possibly be those who preach a false gospel to appease their greed, ego and power-hungry selves?"

In the post of Charity's, which was my initial reply, was not referring to the man of sin who puts himself in the place of God, a man who will be totally taken over by Satan himself, THE Antichrist, big "A". I was speaking to the "many antichrists have come..." And, are they not simply those who oppose Christ and what He stands for? They say they are doing these "miracles, signs and wonders" in Jesus name but, they are not? Are these not antichrists?
Just an observation, really...or I would have quoted Scripture.

The proper interpretation of 1 John 2:18 about the word antichrist is about both a singular antichrist they had heard shall come, and that already there were many antichrists at work. You only stressed the latter phrase of the verse."

Agreed.

Where... did they first hear that antichrist shall come? That first part is about a singular antichrist.

1 John 2:18

NO, I did not mention the man of sin, satan...first part of the verse because I was not speaking of THE Antichrist...sorry if there is confusion here.

Last edited:

Davy

Feb 11, 2018
Southeastern U.S.
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
@charity said:
"There will be many working 'miracles', even in His Name, 'in that day', will there not? In the form of lying signs and wonders. They will not be men of faith, otherwise our Lord would not say that He never knew them. They will be counterfeit. Remember Jannes and Jambres in the time of Moses? (2 Timothy 3:8)"

In response, I said:

"I think we can forget that satan also has powers to work lying "signs and wonders" to deceive and, these "miracle workers" who Jesus said He never knew, could possibly be those who preach a false gospel to appease their greed, ego and power-hungry selves?"

In the post of Charity's, which was my initial reply, was not referring to the man of sin who puts himself in the place of God, a man who will be totally taken over by Satan himself, THE Antichrist, big "A". I was speaking to the "many antichrists have come..." And, are they not simply those who oppose Christ and what He stands for? They say they are doing these "miracles, signs and wonders" in Jesus name but, they are not? Are these not antichrists?
Just an observation, really...or I would have quoted Scripture.

The proper interpretation of 1 John 2:18 about the word antichrist is about both a singular antichrist they had heard shall come, and that already there were many antichrists at work. You only stressed the latter phrase of the verse."

Agreed.

Where... did they first hear that antichrist shall come? That first part is about a singular antichrist.

1 John 2:18

NO, I did not mention the man of sin, satan...first part of the verse because I was not speaking of THE Antichrist...sorry if there is confusion here.

Charity referred to 2 Thess.2, the "man of sin", when pointing to "lying signs and wonders", not to many antichrists. 2 Thess.2 isn't about many antichrists, it's about a singular Antichrist coming to do those lying signs and wonders. Other relevant Scripture we are given about that event is in Matt.24 and Mark 13 about the pseudo-Christ our Lord Jesus warned about, and in Rev.13:11 forward with the "another beast" that will work those same signs and wonders.

What our Lord Jesus was talking about in Matt.7 with those who will say, "Lord, Lord" when He returns, is about believers, not antichrists.

There are Churches today that wrongly teach once you are saved, you cannot sin. I've already had several discussions on that topic on the forum, some who want to hold onto 1 John 3:9 with their dear life at the expense of many other Scriptures. Even 1 John 3:6 says that "Whosoever abideth in Him sinneth not...", and by that John set forth a condition for that to be true. We have to abide in Christ Jesus. In 1 John 1, John showed how we abide in Christ, as we will still mess up at times as believers, and that we are to repent to Jesus, and He is Just to forgive us. This also is why I showed in Luke 11 when the Apostles asked our Lord Jesus how to pray, He included the asking of forgiveness of sins.

So those whom our Lord Jesus will find had worked iniquity and reject, are believers on Him. And the miracles were done in Christ's Name, and not by a bunch of pagans imitating Christians. They represent believers not working out their salvation with fear and trembling, like Apostle Paul warned (Phil.2:12).

The Worse Falling Away For The Last Days:
The absolute worse falling away a Christian can do in the near future is with being deceived in false worship by the coming Antichrist who will set himself up as Christ in Jerusalem. Doing that will be the worse iniquity one could commit in these last days. The Christian believer is to symbolically stay a "chaste virgin" waiting on Jesus to come (2 Cor.11). So the idea of becoming a spiritual harlot with another is viewed like the sin of adultery between those betrothed. It is also probable that is what those who did iniquity will be found guilty of when our Lord Jesus returns.

Nancy

Apr 30, 2018
Buffalo, Ny
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Charity referred to 2 Thess.2, the "man of sin", when pointing to "lying signs and wonders", not to many antichrists. 2 Thess.2 isn't about many antichrists, it's about a singular Antichrist coming to do those lying signs and wonders. Other relevant Scripture we are given about that event is in Matt.24 and Mark 13 about the pseudo-Christ our Lord Jesus warned about, and in Rev.13:11 forward with the "another beast" that will work those same signs and wonders.

What our Lord Jesus was talking about in Matt.7 with those who will say, "Lord, Lord" when He returns, is about believers, not antichrists.

There are Churches today that wrongly teach once you are saved, you cannot sin. I've already had several discussions on that topic on the forum, some who want to hold onto 1 John 3:9 with their dear life at the expense of many other Scriptures. Even 1 John 3:6 says that "Whosoever abideth in Him sinneth not...", and by that John set forth a condition for that to be true. We have to abide in Christ Jesus. In 1 John 1, John showed how we abide in Christ, as we will still mess up at times as believers, and that we are to repent to Jesus, and He is Just to forgive us. This also is why I showed in Luke 11 when the Apostles asked our Lord Jesus how to pray, He included the asking of forgiveness of sins.

So those whom our Lord Jesus will find had worked iniquity and reject, are believers on Him. And the miracles were done in Christ's Name, and not by a bunch of pagans imitating Christians. They represent believers not working out their salvation with fear and trembling, like Apostle Paul warned (Phil.2:12).

The Worse Falling Away For The Last Days:
The absolute worse falling away a Christian can do in the near future is with being deceived in false worship by the coming Antichrist who will set himself up as Christ in Jerusalem. Doing that will be the worse iniquity one could commit in these last days. The Christian believer is to symbolically stay a "chaste virgin" waiting on Jesus to come (2 Cor.11). So the idea of becoming a spiritual harlot with another is viewed like the sin of adultery between those betrothed. It is also probable that is what those who did iniquity will be found guilty of when our Lord Jesus returns.

"What our Lord Jesus was talking about in Matt.7 with those who will say, "Lord, Lord" when He returns, is about believers, not antichrists. "

"Why would The Lord say "I NEVER knew you" to believers? Well, then again, satan believes and trembles...

And, what is meant by the plural "antichrist's"?

For the record, we do have sin, and will continue to fight it till He takes us from this world. And, He is faithful to forgive us if we do sin.

So, if they were actual believers then, were not their sins already paid for through Jesus finished work? Would it not just be their "works" that were burnt up and they themselves would be saved?

If any here believe they are saved by their works without grace through faith...and this - of course, through Jesus Christ...they are deluding them. YES...our race involves obedience! And the awesome part of that to me, is that obedience to Him results in nothing BUT good...

Last edited:

ScottA

Feb 24, 2011
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Matthew 7:22-23 "Many will say to Me on that day, 'Lord, Lord, did we not prophesy in Your name, and in Your name cast out demons, and in Your name perform many miracles?' "And then I will declare to them, 'I never knew you; DEPART FROM ME, YOU WHO PRACTICE LAWLESSNESS.'

I’ve seen a few interpretations of this passage. I’ve been told that these are Christians who have forfeited their salvation by practicing lawlessness. Others have said that these are people practicing other religions and come to grips with the falseness of their religion. Personally, I believe that these are professing Christians who are under the delusion that they are saved while lacking a faith that transforms.

The reason I believe this is that these people recognize Jesus (“Lord, Lord”) as God. They appear to have been active in the work of the ministry - perhaps used by God to reach many for Christ. They have at some level bought into the Christian faith, but on a deeper level are found lacking for Christ never knew them.

What are other interpretations?
The key word here is "knew."

This is the word used from the beginning referring to marriage and that relationship which Christ has with His church: the two become One. Thus, the relationship of those whom He "never knew", indicates no Oneness, no consummation, no "entering in" (in spirit), no spiritual bond, a relationship in name only.

GodsGrace

Aug 29, 2017
Tuscany
Faith
Christian
Country
Italy
"What our Lord Jesus was talking about in Matt.7 with those who will say, "Lord, Lord" when He returns, is about believers, not antichrists. "

"Why would The Lord say "I NEVER knew you" to believers? Well, then again, satan believes and trembles...

For the record, we do have sin, and will continue to fight it till He takes us from this world. And, He is faithful to forgive us if we do sin.

So, if they were actual believers then, were not their sins already paid for through Jesus finished work? Would it not just be their "works" that were burnt up and they themselves would be saved?
Hi Nancy,
This is also for @Davy ...

What Jesus was talking about in Mathew 7:23 is stated very clearly by Him and there not need be any interpretation of that verse.

23AND THEN I WILL DECLARE TO THEM...I NEVER KNEW YOU,
YOU WHO PRACTICE LAWLESSNESS.

Those who are without any LAW will not be invited into heaven.
This is why I'm so conerned with persons that state we do not need
to obey God because He has paid for everything and done it all.

Jesus did HIS PART...
Now we do ours.

Those who practice lawlessness (whoever they may be)
will not be invited.

The lost are already lost....
so I like to believe Jesus is saying to follow His commands and
follow HIS LAW.

I think you agree.

GodsGrace

Aug 29, 2017
Tuscany
Faith
Christian
Country
Italy
Matthew 7:22-23 "Many will say to Me on that day, 'Lord, Lord, did we not prophesy in Your name, and in Your name cast out demons, and in Your name perform many miracles?' "And then I will declare to them, 'I never knew you; DEPART FROM ME, YOU WHO PRACTICE LAWLESSNESS.'

I’ve seen a few interpretations of this passage. I’ve been told that these are Christians who have forfeited their salvation by practicing lawlessness. Others have said that these are people practicing other religions and come to grips with the falseness of their religion. Personally, I believe that these are professing Christians who are under the delusion that they are saved while lacking a faith that transforms.

The reason I believe this is that these people recognize Jesus (“Lord, Lord”) as God. They appear to have been active in the work of the ministry - perhaps used by God to reach many for Christ. They have at some level bought into the Christian faith, but on a deeper level are found lacking for Christ never knew them.

What are other interpretations?
You have the correct interpretation.
But those believing in OSAS will not agree with you...
even though JESUS said this.

GodsGrace

Aug 29, 2017
Tuscany
Faith
Christian
Country
Italy
The key word here is "knew."

This is the word used from the beginning referring to marriage and that relationship which Christ has with His church: the two become One. Thus, the relationship of those whom He "never knew", indicates no Oneness, no consummation, no "entering in" (in spirit), no spiritual bond, a relationship in name only.
Could you show us WHERE in Mathew 7:13-23 Jesus even MENTIONS the word saved, or salvation, or relationship, or any of those thoughts in your post.

HE DOES NOT.
He is speaking about LAWLESSNESS.
Those who practice LAWLESSNESS are not getting into heaven.
Revelation 21:27

ScottA

Feb 24, 2011
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Could you show us WHERE in Mathew 7:13-23 Jesus even MENTIONS the word saved, or salvation, or relationship, or any of those thoughts in your post.

HE DOES NOT.
He is speaking about LAWLESSNESS.
Those who practice LAWLESSNESS are not getting into heaven.
Revelation 21:27
If you are going to answer your own questions the way you want to hear them answered...why ask me at all? (rhetorical)

Davy

Feb 11, 2018
Southeastern U.S.
Faith
Christian
Country
United States

I guess I have to quote Paul in Romans 3:25 again, about our sins that are past... is what was forgiven at our first belief on Jesus. Forgiveness of future sins was not included in that:

Rom 3:24-25
24 Being justified freely by His grace through the redemption that is in Christ Jesus:

25 Whom God hath set forth to be a propitiation through faith in His blood, to declare His righteousness for the remission of sins that are past, through the forbearance of God;

KJV

That "sins that are past" is written in the Greek too. We still need to repent to Jesus of future sin we slip up and do, which was John's subject in 1 John 1.

The plural antichrist phrase of 1 John 2:18 is about The Antichrist's followers. It is the same idea Paul gave in 2 Thess.2 with the "mystery of iniquity" already being at work.

2 Thess 2:7
7 For the mystery of iniquity doth already work: only he who now letteth will let, until he be taken out of the way.

KJV

Our Lord Jesus also showed about this mystery when He warned there would be 'many' coming in His name saying, "I am Christ" (Matthew 24:5). That's about those like Mooney, etc., that have claimed to be Christ. Many have claimed in our time to be Christ.

But in the Matthew 24:23-26 Scripture, our Lord Jesus was warning about a specific singular Antichrist which others would say, "Christ is here, or there", and He warned to not believe it. He said that one will work great signs and wonders that IF possible, would deceive even His very elect. Even though the KJV translators made that plural in their translation, as "false Christs", it's really just 'pseudochristos' in the Greek, made up of two Greek words, pseudo which means false, and christos which is singular for Christ. The context of the 23rd, 25th, and 26th verses are obviously singular tense.

We were first shown about the "workers of iniquity" in Old Testament Scripture. They are first mentioned in Job, and then mostly in the Pslams. After a while of reading about them, it becomes more clear after a while that our Heavenly Father and His servants aren't just talking about the ignorant who sin, but instead about a group of sinners on this earth that love to sin, and serve the devil. Our Lord Jesus first taught about them in Matthew 13 with the parable of the tares of the field. Jude 1 showed that they were ordained for that condemnation to be against Christ. That is why Paul called it a 'mystery'. Those who do not study much of the Old Testament wouldn't grasp this matter nor realize this is what the New Testament is talking about regarding those.

I need to say one more thing on this matter. Those Scriptures about a false one coming to work those signs and wonders is not... about the "many antichrists". Those signs and wonders are declared for the very end of this world by a specific false one that will deceive the whole world. And that one is The Antichrist, the head of all the other antichrists. So when Paul was talking about the "mystery of iniquity" already at work, he was not speaking of that singular "man of sin" that's to come working the lying signs and wonders.

Last edited:
Reactions: Nancy

Davy

Feb 11, 2018
Southeastern U.S.
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Hi Nancy,
This is also for @Davy ...

What Jesus was talking about in Mathew 7:23 is stated very clearly by Him and there not need be any interpretation of that verse.

23AND THEN I WILL DECLARE TO THEM...I NEVER KNEW YOU,
YOU WHO PRACTICE LAWLESSNESS.

Those who are without any LAW will not be invited into heaven.
This is why I'm so conerned with persons that state we do not need
to obey God because He has paid for everything and done it all.

Jesus did HIS PART...
Now we do ours.

Those who practice lawlessness (whoever they may be)
will not be invited.

The lost are already lost....
so I like to believe Jesus is saying to follow His commands and
follow HIS LAW.

I think you agree.

I agree, but I say it differently. The way we follow Christ's commandments is by keeping our relationship with Him, and trying to do what He commanded us. And when we mess up, we repent to Him, asking Him to forgive us. Thus we keep our relationship with Him.

Now those who don't keep that relationship with Him, that is how He never knew them. If they are told they can't sin anymore, and thus there's no need to repent to Him, then what kind of relationship with Him is that? We don't even treat our flesh family with such little respect as that.

And it's so... easy... to just talk to Him when we mess up, and say we're sorry, ask forgiveness, and do our best to not do it again.

He even told us if a brother sins against us, and we rebuke him, and he repents and asks us to forgive him, we are to forgive, and if he does it seven times in one day, we are to forgive him as long as he repents and asks us to forgive him (Luke 17). How much less will our Lord Jesus do for us if we repent of a sin and ask Him to forgive us?

Reactions: GodsGrace

GodsGrace

Aug 29, 2017
Tuscany
Faith
Christian
Country
Italy
If you are going to answer your own questions the way you want to hear them answered...why ask me at all? (rhetorical)
Have you ever told me what YOU believe before asking me something?
No?
Thought I'd shorten the discussion.

Fact is, you don't have an answer.
Jesus DID NOT even mention salvation.

So your posts regarding this are invalid.

GodsGrace

Aug 29, 2017
Tuscany
Faith
Christian
Country
Italy
I agree, but I say it differently. The way we follow Christ's commandments is by keeping our relationship with Him, and trying to do what He commanded us. And when we mess up, we repent to Him, asking Him to forgive us. Thus we keep our relationship with Him.

Now those who don't keep that relationship with Him, that is how He never knew them. If they are told they can't sin anymore, and thus there's no need to repent to Him, then what kind of relationship with Him is that? We don't even treat our flesh family with such little respect as that.

And it's so... easy... to just talk to Him when we mess up, and say we're sorry, ask forgiveness, and do our best to not do it again.

He even told us if a brother sins against us, and we rebuke him, and he repents and asks us to forgive him, we are to forgive, and if he does it seven times in one day, we are to forgive him as long as he repents and asks us to forgive him (Luke 17). How much less will our Lord Jesus do for us if we repent of a sin and ask Him to forgive us?
I agree with all you've said.

I just want to say that we must forgive others even if they don't ask to be forgiven.
forgiving is as much to our benefit as it is to theirs.

So, yes, if we are lawless, we are NOT disciples of Jesus.
And He and John said if we sin to confess our sin.
Great point about the family....

ScottA

Feb 24, 2011
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Have you ever told me what YOU believe before asking me something?
No?
Thought I'd shorten the discussion.

Fact is, you don't have an answer.
Jesus DID NOT even mention salvation.

So your posts regarding this are invalid.
And you are not dead, just sleeping.

Nancy

Apr 30, 2018
Buffalo, Ny
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
'Not every one that saith unto me, "Lord, Lord",
.. shall enter into the kingdom of heaven;
but he that doeth the will of My Father which is in heaven.
Many will say to Me in that day,
.. "Lord, Lord, have we not prophesied in Thy name?

.... and in Thy name have cast out devils?
...... and in Thy name done many wonderful works?"

And then will I profess unto them,
.. "I never knew you: depart from me, ye that work iniquity."

(Mat 7:21-23)

'Jesus answered and said unto them,
This is the work of God,
that ye believe on Him whom He hath sent.'
(John 6:29)

'And this is the will of Him that sent Me,
that every one which seeth the Son,
and believeth on Him,
may have everlasting life:
and I will raise him up at the last day.

(John 6:39-40)

Hello there,

* The word 'will' in the verses from Matthew (above), is the Greek word, 'thelema', and it is important to take note of it's meaning, for it means the desire rather than the resolve. It is the Father's 'will' or 'desire' that mankind should believe on Him Whom He hath sent.

* It doesn't matter how many works a man does, how seemingly miraculous, or in whose name; if he has unbelief in His heart then he is not doing the will of the Father.

* It is important also to know: - Who is speaking? and, To Whom? Isn't it? At what time? What is actually being said (or the words used) ? What comes before, and what comes after (the context) ? Who is speaking? To whom? At what time? With what intent? - [e.g., What is the Kingdom being referred to? and the day spoken of in the words, 'in that day'?]

* The term, 'The Kingdom of Heaven', is only used in Matthew's gospel, isn't it? In the other gospels the term used is, 'The Kingdom of God'. Why has Matthew been divinely guided to retained the words, 'The Kingdom of Heaven'? It is sometimes used of the Messiah's kingdom on earth, and sometimes of the heavenly sovereignty over the earth. This sovereignty comes from Heaven, because the King is to come from there.(John 18:36). It was to this end He was born, and is the first subject of His ministry. The kingdom was rejected (Matthew 4:17 & Ch.), as was it's further proclamation during the days of 'The Acts of The Apostles' (Acts 3:19-26). So the earthly realisation of this kingdom has been postponed and is now in abeyance until the King shall be sent from heaven (Acts 3:20). The 'secrets' of this Kingdom (Matthew 13:11) pertained to the postponement of it's earthly realisation, on account of it's being rejected.

In Christ Jesus
Chris

Hi Chris,
Just re-reading some posts
"* It is important also to know: - Who is speaking? and, To Whom? Isn't it? At what time? What is actually being said (or the words used) ? What comes before, and what comes after (the context) ? Who is speaking? To whom? At what time? With what intent? - [e.g., What is the Kingdom being referred to? and the day spoken of in the words, 'in that day'?]"

It certainly is important to know these things. Who was the audience? Was it before or after the cross?? In That Day...well, that should tell us something, Amen!
Context, context, context...kinda like, "location, location location" lol. Jesus addresses different people at different times.

"And they cried out, saying, "What business do we have with each other, Son of God? Have You come here to torment us before the time?"
Matthew 8:29

"So Jesus said to them, "My time is not yet here, but your time is always opportune."
John 7:6

"And Jesus said to her, "Woman, what does that have to do with us? My hour has not yet come." John 2:4

And, as I'm sure you know, there are lots of other scriptures mentioning the "time" of things.

Before the Cross, every person was under the law...but, everything changed after the Cross and the Resurrection...

Reactions: charity

shnarkle

Nov 10, 2013
Faith
Other Faith
Country
United States

Before the Cross, every person was under the law...but, everything changed after the Cross and the Resurrection...

Right. Where there is no law, there is no sin. We're no longer under the law so there really is no such thing as sin. How does one sin when there is no law? It's impossible to transgress laws that no longer exist. Can I get a big fat "Amen"?

charity

Nov 26, 2017
UK
Faith
Christian
Country
United Kingdom
'Not every one that saith unto Me, "Lord, Lord,"
.... but He that doeth the will of My Father which is in heaven.
Many will say to me in that day,
...... and in Thy name done many wonderful works?
.. "I never knew you:
.... depart from me,
...... ye that work iniquity.
Therefore whosoever heareth these sayings of mine,
and doeth them,
I will liken him unto a wise man,
which built his house upon a rock: ... ... '

(Mat 7:21-24)

Hi @Nancy,

Thank you for responding. I have quoted Matthew 7:21-24 once again, because I have been looking at a book I have on figures of speech in Scripture, and in these four verses apparently there is a figure of speech used, in which a thought is dwelt upon, or lingered over, by being expressed in several different ways. Which is what happens here in these verses doesn't it? Also the word, 'Lord', repeated twice consecutively gives special emphasis to the name 'kurios': meaning Lord/Supreme Authority/Ruler.

If our Lord used these figures of speech, He wanted His listeners to 'linger' over the thoughts being expressed and pay special attention to them.

Praise His Holy Name!

Just thoughts, I will come back to your entry tomorrow now, God willing, as it is past 12.00pm.

In Christ Jesus
Chris

Last edited:
Reactions: Nancy

Nancy

Apr 30, 2018
Buffalo, Ny
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
'Not every one that saith unto Me, "Lord, Lord,"
.... but He that doeth the will of My Father which is in heaven.
Many will say to me in that day,
...... and in Thy name done many wonderful works?
.. "I never knew you:
.... depart from me,
...... ye that work iniquity.
Therefore whosoever heareth these sayings of mine,
and doeth them,
I will liken him unto a wise man,
which built his house upon a rock: ... ... '

(Mat 7:21-24)

Hi @Nancy,

Thank you for responding. I have quoted Matthew 7:21-24 once again, because I have been looking at a book I have on figures of speech in Scripture, and in these four verses apparently there is a figure of speech used, in which a thought is dwelt upon, or lingered over, by being expressed in several different ways. Which is what happens here in these verses doesn't it? Also the word, 'Lord', repeated twice consecutively gives special emphasis to the name 'kurios': meaning Lord/Supreme Authority/Ruler.

If our Lord used these figures of speech, He wanted His listeners to 'linger' over the thoughts being expressed and pay special attention to them.

Praise His Holy Name!

Just thoughts, I will come back to your entry tomorrow now, God willing, as it is past 12.00pm.
In Christ Jesus
Chris

Hi Chris!,
What an interesting approach to Scripture. It would take some transparency for me to recognize the figures of speech from back in those days like, the camel and the eye of the needle - that one is easy enough... I'm not yet seeing it in these verses...unless it's speaking to hearing AND doing Gods will? We know how important that is!

"...the word, 'Lord', repeated twice consecutively gives special emphasis to the name 'kurios': meaning Lord/Supreme Authority/Ruler."

Maybe those that will say "Lord, Lord, twice like that think they will receive twice as much mercy from Him ... lol - I'm sure that is not at all what it means that Lord is repeated like that.
May I ask what book you are reading, on the figures of speech in the bible? It sounds like it would make a good study tool!

In Him!
nancy

Reactions: charity

charity

Nov 26, 2017
UK
Faith
Christian
Country
United Kingdom
Nancy:-
'May I ask what book you are reading, on the figures of speech in the bible? It sounds like it would make a good study tool!

Oh, yes, Nancy. I have the two-volume work on my shelves, Praise God! I think I had them as either a Christmas present or a birthday present from my husband. They are a reference work written by Dr E.W. Bullinger for which he received an award from Queen Victoria no less. :) It is called, 'Figures of Speech used in the Bible'.
The names given for all of these figures of speech can appear daunting, but in fact it is written very simply, and can be a blessing. There are links online to view it, or for free download, which I have on a memory stick: but there is no substitute for having the volumes themselves; for you can look in the index at the back and see if there is a figure of speech in the verse you are considering, and you will be told where to look, and often there is more than one, it certainly expands your understanding of what is being said.

With love in Christ Jesus
Chris

Reactions: Davy and Nancy