"Milk" is Doctrine, "Meat" is.....?

• Welcome to Christian Forums, a Christian Forum that recognizes that all Christians are a work in progress.

You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Waiting on him

Dec 21, 2018
North America
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
And the book of James only applies to people named James???

All scripture is inspired including the books and chapters deleted by the KJV boys ever read Daniel 13 Susana of great faith?
Also do you follow the custom of baptisms as the Pharisees did?

marks

Oct 10, 2018
SoCal USA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
But consider ‘His stripes you are healed’ could also be if they have done this to the master, what will they do to the children? The children are not above their master?
Peter tells us more about what this is referring to,

1 Peter 2:24-25 KJV
24) Who his own self bare our sins in his own body on the tree, that we, being dead to sins, should live unto righteousness: by whose stripes ye were healed.
25) For ye were as sheep going astray; but are now returned unto the Shepherd and Bishop of your souls.

Much love!

Reactions: amigo de christo

VictoryinJesus

Jan 26, 2017
Faith
Christian
Country
United States

24) Who his own self bare our sins in his own body on the tree, that we, being dead to sins, should live unto righteousness: by whose stripes ye were healed.
25) For ye were as sheep going astray; but are now returned unto the Shepherd and Bishop of your souls.

Much love!

It could be suggested that ‘and are now returned unto the Shepherd and the Bishop of your souls.’ Was to the Jews only, being it was foretold an remnant would return unto God. Strange how different ‘return’ gets applied from place to place.

‘and now returned unto the Shepherd and Bishop of yours souls’ reminds me of
shall we not much rather be in subjection unto the Father of spirits, and live?
Hebrews 12:9

amigo de christo

Sep 12, 2020
San angelo
Faith
Christian
Country
United States

Much love!
So does paul . The healing of the sin bruise . That we being DEAD to sins should NOW live unto righteousness .
March ever onwards in the glorious LORD .

Reactions: Marvelloustime

amadeus

Jan 26, 2008
Oklahoma
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
“The thief comes not, but to steal, and to kill, and to destroy…” I was reading Joel 2:1-32 this morning. I had never noticed ‘A day of darkness and of gloominess, a day of clouds and of thick darkness, as the morning spread upon the mountains: a great people and a strong; there hath not been ever the like, neither shall be any more after it, even to the years of many generations.’
Reminds me of Matthew 24:21 For then shall be great tribulation, such as was not since the beginning of the world to this time, no, nor ever shall be.
“They shall run to and fro in the city; they shall run upon the wall, they shall climb up upon the houses; they shall enter in at the windows like a thief. [10] The earth shall quake before them; the heavens shall tremble: the sun and the moon shall be dark, and the stars shall withdraw their shining: [11] And the Lord shall utter his voice before his army: for his camp is very great: for he is strong that executeth his word: for the day of the Lord is great and very terrible; and who can abide it?” Doesn’t sound pleasant, but sounds more like ‘For of this sort are they which creep into houses, and lead captive silly women laden with sins, led away with divers lusts, [7] Ever learning, and never able to come to the knowledge of the truth.’ 2 Timothy 3:6-7

Perhaps on the outside of us as well, but what about inside of us? If we have not yet completely overcome as Jesus did will not a great tribulation be occurring within each of us... cranking up the pain and anguish... hitting us harder than ever turning up the level of temptations to the max in intensity and duration each of us. This on the inside simultaneous in believers and absolute havoc among unbelievers... and then would that be a Great Tribulation for us?

What did Jesus bring to or for us?
Psalm 12:2-5 They speak vanity every one with his neighbour: with flattering lips and with a double heart do they speak. [3] The Lord shall cut off all flattering lips, and the tongue that speaketh proud things: [4] Who have said, With our tongue will we prevail; our lips are our own: who is lord over us? [5] For the oppression of the poor, for the sighing of the needy, now will I arise, saith the Lord ; I will set him in safety from him that puffeth at him.
Help us dear Lord to trust in you more and more all of the time so that come what may, we will always be on Your side...

"What shall we then say to these things? If God be for us, who can be against us?" Rom 8:31

Reactions: VictoryinJesus

Ferris Bueller

Sep 9, 2020
Middle South
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
I see . . . The outer man is neutral, the body, directed by the inner man. The inner man becomes modified
No, the outer man becomes conformed. Conformed to the image of Christ.
There's nothing neutral about the outer man. He is a rebel. The inner, spiritual man beats the outer man into submission.

There. That should keep the wheels spinning in your head for a while, lol.

amadeus

Jan 26, 2008
Oklahoma
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
For myself, I don't see the fleshy man born of Adam being reformed, I see him replaced.

When the Scripture tell us to "put off the old man", what is it telling us , if the old man has been turned into the new man?

Much love!
Yes, the new man of us empowered by the Spirit of God needs to proceed to kill, finally and completely kill that old man of us. If we are still attracted by the things that have led us to sin all of our lives before meeting Jesus then that old man is not dead. He needs to be dead!

"Wisdom hath builded her house, she hath hewn out her seven pillars:
She hath killed her beasts; she hath mingled her wine; she hath also furnished her table." Prov. 9:1-2

What or who do suppose is Wisdom? Our beasts are certainly that old man of us who when he leads takes us right into sin. This is the danger we encounter whenever we quench the Spirit of God in us. Without Him we cannot help but follow the wrong lead repeatedly... Are we on the right approach?

marks

Oct 10, 2018
SoCal USA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
It could be suggested that ‘and are now returned unto the Shepherd and the Bishop of your souls.’ Was to the Jews only, being it was foretold an remnant would return unto God. Strange how different ‘return’ gets applied from place to place.
Peter was addressing the Jews of the diaspora. That's an interesting thought!

Much love!

Reactions: VictoryinJesus

Ferris Bueller

Sep 9, 2020
Middle South
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Hebrews 6:1-3 KJV
[1] Therefore leaving the principles of the doctrine of Christ, let us go on unto perfection; not laying again the foundation of repentance from dead works, and of faith toward God, [2] Of the doctrine of baptisms, and of laying on of hands, and of resurrection of the dead, and of eternal judgment. [3] And this will we do, if God permit.
All of this is in reference to Levitical laws, Paul is speaking to Jewish men who are considering going back to Judaism. This is why the book is titled Hebrews.
I think you really miss the valuable message of Hebrews if you constrain the message to Jewish Christians.
Consider that the gentile Galatians were being tempted to adopt the Levitical system of worship.

marks

Oct 10, 2018
SoCal USA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
No, the outer man becomes conformed. Conformed to the image of Christ.
There's nothing neutral about the outer man. He is a rebel. The inner, spiritual man beats the outer man into submission.

There. That should keep the wheels spinning in your head for a while, lol.
It sounds like on a functional level, when you say outer man, you are describing what I mean when I say old man, and when you say inner man, that functions as when I say new man.

The outer man is a rebel. What makes him so? And what was the inner man before being changed by being joined to Christ?

Let's see if you can give that another spin!

;)

Much love!

marks

Oct 10, 2018
SoCal USA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
I think you really miss the valuable message of Hebrews if you constrain the message to Jewish Christians.
Consider that the gentile Galatians were being tempted to adopt the Levitical system of worship.
I believe the letter was written to Jews in the Old Covenant so that they would let go of that, and transition to the New Covenant. We have a lot to learn from the letter, but I think that was the intent for this letter. So we should read it with that first in mind, and other applications secondary, except as noted.

Much love!

Ferris Bueller

Sep 9, 2020
Middle South
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
what was the inner man before being changed by being joined to Christ?
All your answers are in Romans 8:1-17

The inner man was controlled by the flesh prior to union with Christ in salvation.

"You, however, are controlled not by the flesh, but by the Spirit, if the Spirit of God lives in you." Romans 8:9
The implication being, you were controlled by the flesh before you were in union with the Holy Spirit.

bbyrd009

Groper
Nov 30, 2016
Ute City, COLO
www.facebook.com
Faith
Christian
Country
United States Minor Outlying Islands
Yes, I expect you are correct. The soul that sins shall die. And what I believe Jesus did was to provide a way for that to be true for us without destroying us. He could survive death because He is righteous. We survive death because He shares His death with us. We enter new life because He shares His resurrection with us.

I don't see this passage altering any of these things, only reinforcing them. But with one little, suble change, on the face of it, the passage is presented as if it refutes this idea of Jesus dying for us. Even though Paul directly stated, "Christ died for our sins".

Really, so far the only way I can make sense of what @bbyrd009 says is remembering before I was Christian. I was what most would call "New Age". My thinking then was more like, Jesus was just another man, and Christ was something we all could be, kind of like Jonathan Livingston Seagull.

I'm not saying that's what the man thinks, only, that's the only sense I can make of what he says.

Much love!
i might point out that those passages were written first, and Jesus did after all refer to Himself as “son of man,” which has strangely disappeared from the translations, but is still there in the vv, in the lexicon…which i wasnt going to mention, but meh

Ferris Bueller

Sep 9, 2020
Middle South
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
I believe the letter was written to Jews in the Old Covenant so that they would let go of that, and transition to the New Covenant. We have a lot to learn from the letter, but I think that was the intent for this letter. So we should read it with that first in mind, and other applications secondary, except as noted.

Much love!
The problem is too many people dismiss the letter because it is addressed to Jewish Christians.

Oh, and by the way. The letter is written to Jews in the New Covenant already.

marks

Oct 10, 2018
SoCal USA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
if Jesus died for our sins then it becomes pertinent to ask why He would tell us to pick up our own crosses, i think
Do we decide whether Jesus died for our sins by how much sense it makes to us to be told to take up our crosses?

What if taking up our crosses is analogous to affirming in our actions our crucifixion with Christ?

Much love!