Minimalism

• Welcome to Christian Forums, a Christian Forum that recognizes that all Christians are a work in progress.

You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Wynona

Staff member
Encounter Team
Jan 27, 2021
North Carolina
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Luke 12:15
15 And he said unto them, Take heed, and beware of covetousness: for a man's life consisteth not in the abundance of the things which he possesseth.

Matthew 6:19-21

19 Lay not up for yourselves treasures upon earth, where moth and rust doth corrupt, and where thieves break through and steal:

20 But lay up for yourselves treasures in heaven, where neither moth nor rust doth corrupt, and where thieves do not break through nor steal:

21 For where your treasure is, there will your heart be also.

To me, these Scriptures encourage minimalism. In other words, going after and having less stuff in order to focus on what's really important.

Wynona

Staff member
Encounter Team
Jan 27, 2021
North Carolina
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
  • “But I deal with this by meditating and by understanding I’ve been put on the planet to serve humanity. I have to remind myself to live simply and not overindulge, which is a constant battle in a material world.” -Sandra Cisneros, 1954.

Heart2Soul

Spiritual Warrior
Staff member
May 10, 2018
Tulsa
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
This is a little off topic but relates to it very much...
When I was in college an instructor told the class that nothing happens in the world until someone sells something.

Very profound and thought provoking statement. As I thought about it I concluded he was absolutely correct.

Now today we have millionaires and billionaires. How did they acquire so much? They had something someone else needed and so they sold it to them.

So in truth we shouldn't envy those who are wealthy because we are the ones buying their products and services and making them even more wealthier.

But here is what causes anger in many people....with their wealth they spend it on themselves to acquire more land and have more political influence and to become a powerful entity to the world.
Like who needs 5 mansions...or 20,000 square feet of living space when there is only 2 people occupying it?

Yes I prefer humble living. Material things corrupt good people.
King Solomon became corrupt with his wealth and power.

Enoch111

May 27, 2018
Alberta
Faith
Christian
Country
Canada
To me, these Scriptures encourage minimalism. In other words, going after and having less stuff in order to focus on what's really important.
It is not the "stuff" which is the problem. It is always the FOCUS which is the problem. Take the examples of Abraham and Job (probably contemporaries). Both were blessed by God with an abundance of "stuff". But they kept their focus on God and His will, and their own righteousness and worship of God.

Nancy

Staff member
Apr 30, 2018
Buffalo, Ny
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
15 And he said unto them, Take heed, and beware of covetousness: for a man's life consisteth not in the abundance of the things which he possesseth.

19 Lay not up for yourselves treasures upon earth, where moth and rust doth corrupt, and where thieves break through and steal:

20 But lay up for yourselves treasures in heaven, where neither moth nor rust doth corrupt, and where thieves do not break through nor steal:

Hi Wynona, I agree that those scriptures touch on minimalism in order to serve the Lord better as well as to make sure our neighbors, sisters and brothers, are taken care of first, IMO.
We are showered with wonderful things that most of the world will never see, touch taste or feel. We here in the West have way more than we need and too many "wants" as well. As long as our wants and or even, our "needs" do not come before Christ in desire, or if in excess I see not a thing wrong with it...we are blessed so the best response to that to me anyhow, is gratitude! "Things" sure can lose their novelty fast...good comparison to how empty they are when all is said and done and burnt up!

Dropship

Jun 2, 2022
Plymouth UK
Faith
Christian
Country
United Kingdom
I suppose I've always been a "minimalist" because having too many possessions or money would make me feel weighted down, so I've only bought the absolute minimum I need, and every so often even give cash to my nieces and charities when my bank account begins getting too big.
Perhaps Jesus's "rich man / eye of needle" saying ties in with it because a rich man loves his possessions and money so much that he doesn't want to leave them, and when he dies his soul therefore remains earthbound unable to fly?

Wynona

Staff member
Encounter Team
Jan 27, 2021
North Carolina
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
It should be mandatory for every person in rich countries watch this kids movie, it is so right on and quite comical! Toggle under the movie screen and click on "Gomo" Serious! As a matter of fact, I do think I am going to watch it again, now! Lol.

Watch Over the Hedge123Movies

That's a funny one, Nancy!

L.A.M.B.

Mar 22, 2022
USA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
I have always been a minimalist.
In my later years about the last 25, I've become a strict minimalist.

Nothing will go with us to the grave nor any other place. Ppl will just be burdened with going through your junk and having to be rid of it.

I have had intimate relatives pass that were not extreme hoarders but hoarders none the less. I had to do the duty after death, vowing I would NEVER do this to my loved ones !

Limited knicknacks, dishes,towels, linen,
furniture ect. If it is not used at my home in 6 months its going to donations.

Nancy

Staff member
Apr 30, 2018
Buffalo, Ny
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
That's a funny one, Nancy!
Yes it is, I remember when it came out and my nieces and nephews (the younger ones then) were into it so, I watched it too and still laugh at some of it. The message though, is clear don't you think? Aside from the funny parts...huge SUV-one person-the food trail thingy too, lol... "food food food"! Yikes, the over abundance we have, many of us, taken for granted :(

Wynona

Staff member
Encounter Team
Jan 27, 2021
North Carolina
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
I have always been a minimalist.
In my later years about the last 25, I've become a strict minimalist.

Nothing will go with us to the grave nor any other place. Ppl will just be burdened with going through your junk and having to be rid of it.

I have had intimate relatives pass that were not extreme hoarders but hoarders none the less. I had to do the duty after death, vowing I would NEVER do this to my loved ones !

Limited knicknacks, dishes,towels, linen,
furniture ect. If it is not used at my home in 6 months its going to donations.

I've started only recently. I knew my wardrobe was excessive so I gave a lot of clothes away and I don't miss all that.

Then I deleted emails in my phone, thinned out craft supplies, etc. It's been a great relief.

You're right. Cleaning up after a hoarder does not sound fun.

dev553344

Jul 14, 2020
USA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States

When I first came back to Christianity I was a minimalist. I changed a little but I really just have the necessities now.

1stCenturyLady

Jun 26, 2018
Tennessee
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Hi Wynona, I agree that those scriptures touch on minimalism in order to serve the Lord better as well as to make sure our neighbors, sisters and brothers, are taken care of first, IMO.
We are showered with wonderful things that most of the world will never see, touch taste or feel. We here in the West have way more than we need and too many "wants" as well. As long as our wants and or even, our "needs" do not come before Christ in desire, or if in excess I see not a thing wrong with it...we are blessed so the best response to that to me anyhow, is gratitude! "Things" sure can lose their novelty fast...good comparison to how empty they are when all is said and done and burnt up!

Preach it, girl!

Tommy Cool

Jul 17, 2022
HIGHLAND,MI
Faith
Christian
Country
United States

A cluttered home (or shop, for you guys) equates to a cluttered mind.

I have been both ….a collector and minimalist… and it’s not an either or thing. There is a range in the middle that is very satisfying…..but physical clutter does affect your mind/thoughts.

The following does not to take away from your minimalism …. actually ties in with it.

The verses in Matthew are an orientalism….

Mat 6:19 Lay not up for yourselves treasures upon earth, where moth and rust doth corrupt, and where thieves break through and steal:

Mat 6:20 But lay up for yourselves treasures in heaven, where neither moth nor rust doth corrupt, and where thieves do not break through nor steal:

Mat 6:21 For where your treasure is, there will your heart be also.

The word treasure means thoughts.

Heaven speaks of the realm of the spirit (spiritual matters)

Earth is the realm of matter which is material things.

Moth is fear that eats away at our thoughts.

Rust is worries that corrodes and destroys godly positive thoughts

and corrupt means to breed.

This should read:

19) Let not your thoughts be centered in material things where fears and worries breed defeat and frustration, and where doubts breakthrough and steal your thoughts.

20) But let your thoughts be centered in spirit or spiritual matters… where neither fear nor worry breeds defeat and frustration, and where doubts do not break through and steal your thoughts.

21) For where your thoughts are, there will your heart be also.

Verse 21 says it all ….Your thoughts …will determine your destiny!
Thoughts become Words, Words become Actions, Actions bread Habits, Habits develops Character, Character determines Your Destiny.

If your home is cluttered …it is a reflection of your mind.

marks

Oct 10, 2018
SoCal USA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States

The things we collect, and must maintain, and also, what do we spend our time on? We have limited ours.

In the one parable, the Master gives the servants each a different amount, in the other parable, Jesus gives them all the same. We have different amounts of money, but we are all given 24 hours per day.

Much love!

Tommy Cool

Jul 17, 2022
HIGHLAND,MI
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Correct. And the antidote is very simple: "A place for each thing, and everything in its place".
Exactly!
That doesn’t mean that every flat surface is “a place for everything” ….as my kids tried to argue.
I told them… if that was the case…. “Everything in its place” …. Was in the garbage.

Reactions: marks and L.A.M.B.

Heart2Soul

Spiritual Warrior
Staff member
May 10, 2018
Tulsa
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
I want to share with the members here that it is God's desire that we lack in nothing.
These scriptures in the OT was spoken to Israel people at the time but it shows the heart and intent of God's Will for us...

“The blessing of the LORD, it maketh rich, and he addeth no sorrow with it.”
— Proverbs 10:22 (KJV)

“His soul shall dwell at ease; and his seed shall inherit the earth.”
— Psalms 25:13 (KJV))

“Riches and honour are with me; yea, durable riches and righteousness.”
— Proverbs 8:18 (KJV)

“Wealth and riches shall be in his house: and his righteousness endureth for ever.”
— Psalms 112:3 (KJV)

⁷ The LORD maketh poor, and maketh rich: he bringeth low, and lifteth up.
⁸ He raiseth up the poor out of the dust, and lifteth up the beggar from the dunghill, to set them among princes, and to make them inherit the throne of glory: for the pillars of the earth are the LORD'S, and he hath set the world upon them.
1 Samuel 2 (KJV)
¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯
“But thou shalt remember the LORD thy God: for it is he that giveth thee power to get wealth, that he may establish his covenant which he sware unto thy fathers, as it is this day.”
— Deuteronomy 8:18 (KJV)