Minimalism

• Welcome to Christian Forums, a Christian Forum that recognizes that all Christians are a work in progress.

You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

marks

Oct 10, 2018
SoCal USA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
I want to share with the members here that it is God's desire that we lack in nothing.
These scriptures in the OT was spoken to Israel people at the time but it shows the heart and intent of God's Will for us...

“The blessing of the LORD, it maketh rich, and he addeth no sorrow with it.”
— Proverbs 10:22 (KJV)

“His soul shall dwell at ease; and his seed shall inherit the earth.”
— Psalms 25:13 (KJV))

“Riches and honour are with me; yea, durable riches and righteousness.”
— Proverbs 8:18 (KJV)

“Wealth and riches shall be in his house: and his righteousness endureth for ever.”
— Psalms 112:3 (KJV)

⁷ The LORD maketh poor, and maketh rich: he bringeth low, and lifteth up.
⁸ He raiseth up the poor out of the dust, and lifteth up the beggar from the dunghill, to set them among princes, and to make them inherit the throne of glory: for the pillars of the earth are the LORD'S, and he hath set the world upon them.
1 Samuel 2 (KJV)
¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯
“But thou shalt remember the LORD thy God: for it is he that giveth thee power to get wealth, that he may establish his covenant which he sware unto thy fathers, as it is this day.”
— Deuteronomy 8:18 (KJV)
Israel was promised material blessing in keeping their covenant. We are promised tribulation, and persecution. Those that are given as our examples were those who, beginning with Christ, made themself poor that others can be enriched.

I've never forgotten what Bob Jarrard told me, so many years ago, not everyone is strong enough to be tested with great riches.

Much love!

Reactions: L.A.M.B.

L.A.M.B.

Mar 22, 2022
USA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
I want to share with the members here that it is God's desire that we lack in nothing.
These scriptures in the OT was spoken to Israel people at the time but it shows the heart and intent of God's Will for us...

“Wealth and riches shall be in his house: and his righteousness endureth for ever.”

⁸ He raiseth up the poor out of the dust, and lifteth up the beggar from the dunghill, to set them among princes, and to make them inherit the throne of glory: for the pillars of the earth are the LORD'S, and he hath set the world upon them.
1 Samuel 2 (KJV)
¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯
“But thou shalt remember the LORD thy God: for it is he that giveth thee power to get wealth, that he may establish his covenant which he sware unto thy fathers, as it is this day.”

I agree and he is a good Father giving us good gifts according to his promises.

We are still flesh and gaze upon the lust of the eye in this world.

For where do we learn to covet but that we see first.

I'm not against all the material gain one can pack, park, or store if they want, BUT what profit hath it if a man gain the world and lose his soul. As one has already stated where your treasure is there your heart will be also. Its just not me.

Some ppl even brag about how many thousands of friends & followers they have on social media............Lol, now come on !

I look beyond the veil......beyond the natural vision of the eye to that which is promised for eternity !

Reactions: Wynona and marks

Wynona

Staff member
Encounter Team
Jan 27, 2021
North Carolina
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Have just watched Minimalism: A Documentary About the Important things.

I feel like learning to let go of unnecessary things is only a small part of the answer. Focusing on Jesus is the whole definitive answer.

But I enjoyed the film's lesson: stuff does not equate to happiness.

I want to be clear: having money and wealth is not a bad thing. You can have more than enough of it and still apply minimalist principles to your life.

And I think if certain things add value to your life, you should keep them.

There is a balance I think we ought to strive for where we have enough but aren't super focused on things and all thats involved with maintaining them.

marks

Oct 10, 2018
SoCal USA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Have just watched Minimalism: A Documentary About the Important things.

I feel like learning to let go of unnecessary things is only a small part of the answer. Focusing on Jesus is the whole definitive answer.

But I enjoyed the film's lesson: stuff does not equate to happiness.

I want to be clear: having money and wealth is not a bad thing. You can have more than enough of it and still apply minimalist principles to your life.

And I think if certain things add value to your life, you should keep them.

There is a balance I think we ought to strive for where we have enough but aren't super focused on things and all thats involved with maintaining them.
Jesus told the rich young ruler, go, sell all you have and give it to the poor, and you will have treasure in heaven. Maybe the question to ask is, which would we rather be minimalist in, earth, or heaven?

Pray for me to be better in this way!

Much love!

Wynona

Staff member
Encounter Team
Jan 27, 2021
North Carolina
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Jesus told the rich young ruler, go, sell all you have and give it to the poor, and you will have treasure in heaven. Maybe the question to ask is, which would we rather be minimalist in, earth, or heaven?

Pray for me to be better in this way!

Much love!

Yes. I'm right there with you. Just got off the phone with my Mom. She said it was funny I'm into minimalism now because I was quite the hoarder!

Father, please help Marks to grow in having treasures in heaven. In Jesus' name I pray,

Amen.

amigo de christo

Sep 12, 2020
San angelo
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Yes. I'm right there with you. Just got off the phone with my Mom. She said it was funny I'm into minimalism now because I was quite the hoarder!

Father, please help Marks to grow in having treasures in heaven. In Jesus' name I pray,

Amen.
Let us store our treasures up in heaven . One day all lambs shall forever be with HE who set us free .
And that will be one beautiful wonderful day and forever it shall be . This ol world
is in the groans of the decay of sin now . It wont be much longer now and the glorious LORD shall come for the lambs .
Till then armour up cause times will get worse in this world . OH but our hope IS IN THE LORD .
Now let all that has breath praise and thank the LORD .

farouk

Jan 21, 2009
North America

1 Samuel 2 (KJV)
¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯
@Heart2Soul In the end it's spiritual riches in Christ that count, right? 2 Corinthians 9:15: "Thanks be unto God for His unspeakable gift".

Reactions: Heart2Soul

Wynona

Staff member
Encounter Team
Jan 27, 2021
North Carolina
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Am 95 percent packed and boxes are everywhere. Good because we have to move out by Monday.

I don't miss any of the things Ive donated or thrown away. In fact, I will definitely continue to downsize whenever these boxes are unpacked again.

It just feels like Im closing a big chapter of life. And this time, I want to rely on God to work our the details rather than myself.

farouk

Jan 21, 2009
North America
This subject reminds me of the saying: "less is more"; and of Proverbs 10:19: "In the multitude of words there wanteth not sin: but he that refraineth his lips is wise."

Wrangler

Feb 14, 2021
Shining City on a Hill
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
I've started only recently. I knew my wardrobe was excessive so I gave a lot of clothes away and I don't miss all that.

Then I deleted emails in my phone, thinned out craft supplies, etc. It's been a great relief.

You're right. Cleaning up after a hoarder does not sound fun.
I got minimalist shoes today, which marketing position is that it allows you to feel the ground so you do not lose touch with the signals to your brain so you keep your balance and walk properly. Is that about the shoe or the soul? :rolleyes:

81TeC7sT15S._AC_UX695_.jpg

Wynona

Staff member
Encounter Team
Jan 27, 2021
North Carolina
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
I got minimalist shoes today, which marketing position is that it allows you to feel the ground so you do not lose touch with the signals to your brain so you keep your balance and walk properly. Is that about the shoe or the soul? :rolleyes:

81TeC7sT15S._AC_UX695_.jpg

Ive had shoes like that in the past but only because they were just really cheap shoes from the thrift store. Lol

Minimalist shoes sounds interesting though. I wonder if they are comfortable.

Reactions: L.A.M.B.

Wrangler

Feb 14, 2021
Shining City on a Hill
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Ive had shoes like that in the past but only because they were just really cheap shoes from the thrift store. Lol

They are comfortable. They look a bit like ballet shoes and feel like slippers but only in their being no heel.

Do you remember hospital slippers with rubber soles and Terry cloth uppers? They are a lot like that. The grip is tremendous. The only question is how will my feet react to the lack of arch supports.

The theory is that all scientific data shows our ancestors had healthier feet before shoes were invented. People today who wear shoes have been stymied by thick soles and arch supports. Why arch supports are said to be the nemesis of healthy feet is to relate support of your arm after it is broken. Supporting your arm does help with a broken arm to heal. However, the arm is weaker after being so supported.

Also, with a thin sole, my feet will be able to feel the ground and react as our brain was meant to. It is thought that thick soles dull the sensory feedback your feet are made to send signals to the brain. And this leads to one putting their full weight on an uneven surface leading to ankle twists and falls. I think it is a good theory. Being the scientist, I will experiment and let you know my findings.

Also, I think the parallels to minimalism benefit our sole and our soul. :cool:

Reactions: marks and Wynona

amigo de christo

Sep 12, 2020
San angelo
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
This subject reminds me of the saying: "less is more"; and of Proverbs 10:19: "In the multitude of words there wanteth not sin: but he that refraineth his lips is wise."
Less of anything that distracts from GOD is MORE . Let us learn this well .
TRUTH is , if i had nothing material , was in a cave and on the run , YET HAD CHRIST , Not only do i have what i need
I HAVE ALL I NEED . CAUSE JESUS IS WHO I NEED . Now lift those hands up in praise and honor unto the glorious LORD .
Did you know that GOD already knows that i would have need of . So why worry over it one bit .
Our mindset should never be , OH LORD if i had only more money i could serve you
OR OH LORD if i had a better house or new car i could better serve you . NOPE . ITS ALL I NEED IS CHRIST
Do you want to hear a simple and very peaceful truth .
GOD IS IN CONTROL and not matter what i seem to lack in this world , I LACK NOTHING IN HIM .
HE will do as HE pleases . And no matter what HE would allow to come against me
No matter what He allows me to be stripped of , all material things and even health as in The case of JOB
THIS I KNOW . SO LONG as I HAVE HE i have ALL I NEED . SLEEP like a baby knowing ONE far greater than us
IS IN CONTROL and HE knows far better than us WHAT IS GOOD FOR US . now LIFT THOSE HANDS AND PRAISE AND THANK THE LORD
FOR ALL THINGS . BUT TRUST NOT IN RICHES AND IF RICHES DO INCREASE SET NOT YOUR HEART UPON THEM .
STORING UP IS SETTING OUR HEART UPON THEM .
What GOD has given to us , give unto others . Take joyfully the spoiling of your goods and even the loss of things when they do come
KNOWING we have in heaven a far better and enduring substance and a HOME and a CITY that cannot be moved but endures forever .
There is great peace in knowing the LORD . There is great peace in trusting in the LORD .
And its a peace the carnal mind , the wisdom of men cannot understand but rather mocks .
Now lift those hands in praise and thanksgiving unto the glorious Lord .
Folks might say , but that can be so easily said to those who already have much .
According to this world , i live in what most would call POOR LAND . AND YET i live in RICHLAND . FOR TO ME TO LIVE IS CHRIST
to DIE IS GAIN . JESUS IS MY TREASURE and MY HOME awaits me at the end of my faith . Now again , LIFT THOSE HANDS UP
and PRAISE THE KING .

Reactions: Marvelloustime

L.A.M.B.

Mar 22, 2022
USA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States

Yes they are very very comfortable. The ones I have, I got on Amazon they are barefoot trainers. Its like walking on the ground. They cause better balance and strengthen your feet and ankles.

They also carry dressy shoes & boots !

amigo de christo

Sep 12, 2020
San angelo
Faith
Christian
Country
United States

The isralites march the desert in the same clothes and same shoes . YET it did not wax old
Now how can that be . CAUSE GOD was in CONTROL . GOD wants our trust not in the things HE GIVES US
BUT IN HE ALONE . That is THE KEY right there . DO we trust in what we have in this earth
OR do we simply TRUST IN GOD . I fed thee with mana , THAT GOD PROVIDED
That man would be humble and learn , THAT We live not by bread alone but by every WORD OF THE LORD .
As for JESUS lets take a look at what HE says to those who followed HIM cause they were fed .
YE followed me not cause you saw the miracles but cause you were fed . Labor not for the meat that does perish
BUT LABOR FOR THAT MEAT which ENDURETH . Just that last line alone
shows the HYPROCRISY of todays evangelism . FOR THEY SAY FEED THE POOR but KEEP YOUR MOUTH SHUT about CHRIST and TRUTH .
BUT JESUS NEVER HAD THAT KIND OF MINISTRY and SPOKE AGAINST that kind of trust .
They do nothing to lead folks to CHRIST . OH they feed the bellies and the poor keep coming back cause they are fed
BUT THEY LABOR not for the meat that endures unto eternal life . I SHUT DOWN and SPEAK AGAINST ALL FALSE EVANGELISM
and i do so WITH NO APOLOGIES . WE NEED TO DO GOOD TO ALL , WHICH INCLUDES The most important thing of all
PREACH JESUS .

amigo de christo

Sep 12, 2020
San angelo
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Am 95 percent packed and boxes are everywhere. Good because we have to move out by Monday.

I don't miss any of the things Ive donated or thrown away. In fact, I will definitely continue to downsize whenever these boxes are unpacked again.

It just feels like Im closing a big chapter of life. And this time, I want to rely on God to work our the details rather than myself.
I am one hundred percent pack and ready for my new HOME . Faith in JESUS for one day HE shall come
and the lambs will forever BE HOME with THE KING who set us free . YEAH . PRAISE BE TO THE GLORIOUS LORD my dear sister .

Marvelloustime

Sep 15, 2020
Heaven bound
Faith
Christian
Country
United Kingdom
I am one hundred percent pack and ready for my new HOME . Faith in JESUS for one day HE shall come
and the lambs will forever BE HOME with THE KING who set us free . YEAH . PRAISE BE TO THE GLORIOUS LORD my dear sister .
Oh yes. Praise the Lord. Home cannot come fast enough. Amen, even so come LORD JESUS.

Wynona

Staff member
Encounter Team
Jan 27, 2021
North Carolina
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Packing seemed to go on and on and I was a bit sad because it looked like there was still quite a lot of things left despite my purging.

However, it all fit into a small part of one of the bedrooms of the new place. That made me feel good.

The moving process has gone well. I'm happy.

Wynona

Staff member
Encounter Team
Jan 27, 2021
North Carolina
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
What gives life meaning?

It clearly isn't the extra things we buy. Our Father knows we need things. But what gives life meaning are often purpose, passion, and personal relationships.

We want to make plenty of room for that. I know in the past I would buy things to alter my mood. I'd shop to make up for loneliness. I'd spend at thrift stores, because at least the items were cheap.

Am reading Love People, Use Things and it brings up a good point: owning less sentimental things allows us to enjoy what we have more.

My biggest takeaway from all the minimalism messages is that I don't have to go searching for happiness in a store when Im unhappy. I go to God and my loved ones first. I can be content even in a less than ideal hom3e because I have Christ and with Him, I live more abundantly.

It's better to give than to receive.

Reactions: marks

Bob Estey

Aug 18, 2021
Sparks, Nevada
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Luke 12:15
15 And he said unto them, Take heed, and beware of covetousness: for a man's life consisteth not in the abundance of the things which he possesseth.

Matthew 6:19-21

19 Lay not up for yourselves treasures upon earth, where moth and rust doth corrupt, and where thieves break through and steal:

20 But lay up for yourselves treasures in heaven, where neither moth nor rust doth corrupt, and where thieves do not break through nor steal:

21 For where your treasure is, there will your heart be also.

To me, these Scriptures encourage minimalism. In other words, going after and having less stuff in order to focus on what's really important.
In these verses the Lord tells us not to store up treasures, but he doesn't tell us to get rid of stuff.