Misunderstood Bible phrases

• Welcome to Christian Forums, a Christian Forum that recognizes that all Christians are a work in progress.

You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Robert Gwin

Mar 19, 2021
Central Il
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
I find that few understand what the term only begotten means, even among those of my faith. How would you define those words?

That term is used with Jesus as well, how does that apply to him?

tigger 2

Oct 19, 2017
port angeles
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
“Begotten”

“Begotten” and “created” are English words carefully chosen by Bible translators to convey the meaning of the Hebrew and Greek words of the original manuscripts as closely as possible. So first we should determine what the words “created” and “begotten” actually mean in English. The Webster’s New Collegiate Dictionary, 1963 ed. that I have at home says:

create ... 1: to bring into existence...3 : cause, make” - p. 195. And "beget ... begot ... begotten ... 1 : to procreate as the father : sire 2 : cause” - p. 77.

These two words can share the identical meaning of “cause to be.” That is, we may say the mother has created/produced a child or (more often) someone has begotten something that he built or produced somehow.

The Hebrew word yalad means “to bear, bring forth, beget” but it can be used (as the equivalent English word also can) for “cause to be.” For example, when God says he “begot”/”fathered” (yalad) the nation of Israel (Deut. 32:6, 18), he clearly means that he caused it to be or created it as a nation. There is no implication that it was somehow begotten out of the very substance of his body. In like manner God calls the nation of Israel his son, his firstborn because it was the very first nation created by him and for him (cf. Ex. 4:22). Again, anything Jehovah creates may be said to be “begotten” by him and is his “offspring.”

Gesenius' Hebrew-Chaldee Lexicon to the Old Testament, #3205, p. 349: (Yalad, 'beget') ".... Used of God, to create."

Another important Lexicon: A Greek-English Lexicon of the New Testament (BAGD): Gennao "1. beget - a. lit. become the father of .... 3. fig. bring forth, produce, cause" - pp. 154,155.

“Is this the way you treat Jehovah? O foolish people, is not God your Father? Has he not created you?” - Deut. 32:6, Living Bible.

“You forsook the creator who begot [yalad] you and cared nothing for God who brought you to birth.” - Deut. 32:18, NEB.

“Men of Athens [non-Christians], .... The God who made the world and everything in it ... does not live in shrines made by man. .... Being then God’s offspring, we ought not to think that the Deity is like gold or silver, or stone...” - Acts 17:22, 24, 29, RSV.

In Ps. 90:2 we also see yalad used in the sense of created: “Before the mountains were born [yalad] or you brought forth the earth” - NIV, AT, JB, NJB, NAB (1991), NASB; “begotten” - NAB (1970); “were given birth” - MLB. Or, “Before the mountains were created [yalad], before the earth was formed.” - Living Bible, cf. TEV. So, again, the Hebrew word most often translated “begotten, brought forth” may also be understood (as in English) to mean created or produced.

And whether or not God means that the earth (or “mountains”) was literally “begotten” from his very own spirit body or created out of nothing really matters very little. The point is that at one time it did not exist and then was brought into existence by the Creator, God!

As for "only-begotten" --- That would mean the only thing created by the Father alone. All other things were created by the Father through the works of the Son.

MatthewG

Apr 21, 2021
Fyffe
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
I find that few understand what the term only begotten means, even among those of my faith. How would you define those words?

Hello Robert

What do you mean that only few understand what the term only begotten means?

Would you explain to me what your view is on the begotten scriptures?

Believe that Jesus Christ was the begotten of the Father as the Son of God. The Firstborn of glorification of conquering over death, grave, she'ol/hell, Satan, and also overcoming the sin and the sin of the entirety of the world itself. Being resurrected by God, in symbolization of this victory.

Anyone might find this an interesting read if you have time to do so: Topical Bible: Begotten

These are all the words that have to do with Begotten. It is very helpful and informative.

Enoch111

May 27, 2018
Alberta
Faith
Christian
Country
Canada
You will note that Jesus is called "the only begotten Son of God". Not merely "begotten". The Greek word is monogenes which means UNIQUELY BEGOTTEN. And many modern translation have failed to say "only begotten", thus misleading the readers.

Since there was no mother involved in this divine begetting, it signifies a unique Father-Son relationship within the Godhead from eternity past. The eternal Word, who is also the eternal Son, was destined to become the Son of Man, even while He is the Son of God. But the Son of God is also GOD HIMSELF (fully God). So how does one explain all this? Certainly not with human wisdom or logic, since in the end God cannot really be comprehended by man.

Riverwalker

Apr 20, 2021
California
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Jesus was biologically produced by the asexual union of Mary and God. The Holy Spirit hovered over her and quickened her womb.
No other human was produced in such a manner, making Jesus The Father's only BEGOTTEN son

Robert Gwin

Mar 19, 2021
Central Il
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
You will note that Jesus is called "the only begotten Son of God". Not merely "begotten". The Greek word is monogenes which means UNIQUELY BEGOTTEN. And many modern translation have failed to say "only begotten", thus misleading the readers.

Since there was no mother involved in this divine begetting, it signifies a unique Father-Son relationship within the Godhead from eternity past. The eternal Word, who is also the eternal Son, was destined to become the Son of Man, even while He is the Son of God. But the Son of God is also GOD HIMSELF (fully God). So how does one explain all this? Certainly not with human wisdom or logic, since in the end God cannot really be comprehended by man.

Thanks for your input Enoch, when it is applied to Jesus, you are correct he definitely is uniquely begotten, but not because of not having a mother, as God had many sons. It is the uniqueness of Jesus that did render him that title, what is it about Jesus that made him unique above Jehovah's other sons sir?

Robert Gwin

Mar 19, 2021
Central Il
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Hello Robert

What do you mean that only few understand what the term only begotten means?

Would you explain to me what your view is on the begotten scriptures?

Believe that Jesus Christ was the begotten of the Father as the Son of God. The Firstborn of glorification of conquering over death, grave, she'ol/hell, Satan, and also overcoming the sin and the sin of the entirety of the world itself. Being resurrected by God, in symbolization of this victory.

Anyone might find this an interesting read if you have time to do so: Topical Bible: Begotten

These are all the words that have to do with Begotten. It is very helpful and informative.

Hi Matt, yes sir that was my first question, I will wait to give you my understanding till after you define it to see if we agree on it's definition.

I agree that Jesus was begotten by the Father (God) making him the son of God, which really has a lot to do with the meaning. Hope to hear from you soon.

Reactions: MatthewG

Robert Gwin

Mar 19, 2021
Central Il
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
“Begotten”

“Begotten” and “created” are English words carefully chosen by Bible translators to convey the meaning of the Hebrew and Greek words of the original manuscripts as closely as possible. So first we should determine what the words “created” and “begotten” actually mean in English. The Webster’s New Collegiate Dictionary, 1963 ed. that I have at home says:

create ... 1: to bring into existence...3 : cause, make” - p. 195. And "beget ... begot ... begotten ... 1 : to procreate as the father : sire 2 : cause” - p. 77.

These two words can share the identical meaning of “cause to be.” That is, we may say the mother has created/produced a child or (more often) someone has begotten something that he built or produced somehow.

The Hebrew word yalad means “to bear, bring forth, beget” but it can be used (as the equivalent English word also can) for “cause to be.” For example, when God says he “begot”/”fathered” (yalad) the nation of Israel (Deut. 32:6, 18), he clearly means that he caused it to be or created it as a nation. There is no implication that it was somehow begotten out of the very substance of his body. In like manner God calls the nation of Israel his son, his firstborn because it was the very first nation created by him and for him (cf. Ex. 4:22). Again, anything Jehovah creates may be said to be “begotten” by him and is his “offspring.”

Gesenius' Hebrew-Chaldee Lexicon to the Old Testament, #3205, p. 349: (Yalad, 'beget') ".... Used of God, to create."

Another important Lexicon: A Greek-English Lexicon of the New Testament (BAGD): Gennao "1. beget - a. lit. become the father of .... 3. fig. bring forth, produce, cause" - pp. 154,155.

“Is this the way you treat Jehovah? O foolish people, is not God your Father? Has he not created you?” - Deut. 32:6, Living Bible.

“You forsook the creator who begot [yalad] you and cared nothing for God who brought you to birth.” - Deut. 32:18, NEB.

“Men of Athens [non-Christians], .... The God who made the world and everything in it ... does not live in shrines made by man. .... Being then God’s offspring, we ought not to think that the Deity is like gold or silver, or stone...” - Acts 17:22, 24, 29, RSV.

In Ps. 90:2 we also see yalad used in the sense of created: “Before the mountains were born [yalad] or you brought forth the earth” - NIV, AT, JB, NJB, NAB (1991), NASB; “begotten” - NAB (1970); “were given birth” - MLB. Or, “Before the mountains were created [yalad], before the earth was formed.” - Living Bible, cf. TEV. So, again, the Hebrew word most often translated “begotten, brought forth” may also be understood (as in English) to mean created or produced.

And whether or not God means that the earth (or “mountains”) was literally “begotten” from his very own spirit body or created out of nothing really matters very little. The point is that at one time it did not exist and then was brought into existence by the Creator, God!

As for "only-begotten" --- That would mean the only thing created by the Father alone. All other things were created by the Father through the works of the Son.

Tigger, you are exactly correct sir, you overcomplicated it considerably, but you explained it with lots of information. I wish I knew how to apply a liked this to this but do not know how. Do you know if there is a way to navigate back through conversations on this site, I am new and unable to figure it out. I think you may be of my faith, but I find so many among my brothers and sisters that are unable to explain that term.

Robert Gwin

Mar 19, 2021
Central Il
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Jesus was biologically produced by the asexual union of Mary and God. The Holy Spirit hovered over her and quickened her womb.
No other human was produced in such a manner, making Jesus The Father's only BEGOTTEN son

I am sorry sir for not responding earlier, I just now seen this post. You are correct that no other human came into existence in the way Jesus became a human, but he was called the only-begotten son prior to coming to earth Jn 3:16. It means something else in Jesus' case, and you are definitely on the right track, just the wrong time period. Knowing what the term means will help in finding the answer.

tigger 2

Oct 19, 2017
port angeles
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Begotten means born to

"Begotten," "Created," and “Father” as Used in Scripture

The Hebrew word yalad means "to bear, bring forth, beget"- Gesenius, #3205, but it can be used (as the equivalent English word also can) for "cause to be." For example, when God says he "begot"/"fathered" (yalad) the nation of Israel (Deut. 32:6, 18), he clearly means that he caused it to be or created it as a nation. There is no implication that it was somehow begotten out of the very substance of his body. In like manner God calls the nation of Israel his son, his firstborn because it was the very first nation created by him and for him (cf. Ex. 4:22). Again, anything Jehovah causes to be may be said to be "begotten" by him and is his "offspring."

"Do you thus repay [YHWH], O foolish and senseless people? Is not he your father, who created you, who made you and established you?" - Deut. 32:6, NRSV.

"You forsook the creator who begot [yalad] you and ceased to care for God who brought you to birth." - Deut. 32:18, NEB.

"Men of Athens [non-Christians], .... The God who made the world and everything in it ... does not live in shrines made by man. .... Being then God's offspring, we ought not to think that the Deity is like gold or silver, or stone..." - Acts 17:22, 24, 29, RSV.

It’s especially important to note the dual application of Psalm 2:7. Here Jehovah speaks to the Israelite king and says “Thou art my Son; this day have I begotten [yalad] thee.” It’s true that the Israelite king (David?) prefigures Jesus Christ here, but notice that this scripture must directly apply to David also. Jehovah hasn’t really begotten him out of his very own substance so that now King David’s very body and substance are identical to God’s.

No, the king has, at this point, been accepted by God in a new way. God has caused him to be in a new status.

So when this scripture is also applied to the Christ, it is to be applied in a similar (although greater) manner.

In Ps. 90:2 we also see yalad used in the sense of created:

"Before the mountains were born [yalad] or you brought forth the earth" - NIV, AT, JB, NJB, NAB (1991), NASB; "begotten" - NAB (1970); "were given birth" - MLB. Or, "Before the mountains were created, before the earth was formed." - Living Bible, cf. TEV. So, the Hebrew word most often translated "begotten, brought forth" may also be understood (as in English) to mean created or produced.

The very title of God (“Father”) used as “source of all things” shows this common meaning throughout both testaments. God is the Father of all. What does this mean? He is the Father of the Universe, the Father of all creation, and even the Father of the Angels. (They truly are called “sons of God” and they were in existence before the earth was created - Job 38:4, 7, cf. Living Bible and NIVSB f.n.) They are spirit persons. Should we assume then that the angels were “begotten” from God in the sense that they have existed eternally and are actually composed of his very own spirit substance, etc.? After all, it doesn’t actually say that they were “created.” We know they were created because their Father created/“begot” everything: He is the “Father of all” including the spirit persons in heaven. - Eph. 4:6; Heb. 1:7; 12:9.