Monogamy Isn’t Biblical, It’s Greek/Roman

• Welcome to Christian Forums, a Christian Forum that recognizes that all Christians are a work in progress.

You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Windmillcharge

Dec 21, 2017
London
Faith
Christian
Country
United Kingdom
in Genesis God creates Adam and Eve, one man and one woman, and speaks of the two becoming one flesh
Polygamy isn’t condemned in the New Testament, either. In Timothy and Titus, church leaders are required to be the “husband of but one wife,”
Jesus is condemning polygamy when he speaks of marriage and says “the two shall become one flesh
By your argument murder, rape and theft are ok as these happened in the bible and often without any condemnation of these acts.

Genesis sets what God wants to be the patten for marriage.
As you rightly point out the ancient biblical culture encouraged polygamy and many biblical leaders practised it.
Just because people do something doesn't make it right.

For you to prove your case you will have to provide positive comments in the bible promoting polygamy.

evotell

Nov 13, 2007
Red Deer
www.solutionslifecoaching.ca
Faith
Christian
Country
Canada
ignore about half of the Bible, i guess
WOW. You know what there's a reason Jesus didn't engage in discussions with religious people, because they were unable to hear or see.......anything that they thought contradicted with the scriptures. I believe Jesus referred to them as blind guides.

Time to move along, no interest in this topic here. I respect every-bodies opinion, but I dont agree. I guess we'll just have to agree to disagree. :)

Last edited:

VictoryinJesus

Jan 26, 2017
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
If your genuinely interested in an answer to your question I suggest you get yourself a copy of both the books listed below, do your own study, then and only then will we be able to have a conversation that discuses the facts instead of a literal/fundamentalist belief in a text that was never intended to be understood literally. As I previously said viewing the scriptures through a Greek World View will only led you down the wrong road.

Biblical Literalism (A Gentile Heresy) by John Shelby Spong
Sexual Liberation (The Scandal of Christendom) Raymond Lawrance

No disrespect. I would at least read what you have to say but that won't be by going to read some other man's work. It is nothing against them. Or you. If you believe you have a message, then you should have the words to put it forth.

bbyrd009

Groper
Nov 30, 2016
Ute City, COLO
www.facebook.com
Faith
Christian
Country
United States Minor Outlying Islands
WOW. You know what there's a reason Jesus didn't engage in discussions with religious people, because they were unable to hear or see.......anything that they thought contradicted with the scriptures. I believe Jesus referred to them as blind guides.

Time to move along, no interest in this topic here. I respect every-bodies opinion, but I dont agree. I guess we'll just have to agree to disagree. :)
well, you might Quote and then address the passages that we all know and have in mind that refute your position, might be revealing.
i put a couple below. and ps, you aren't Jesus, and neither am i ok. Scott has already declared for that office here anyway i guess :)

Last edited:

ScottA

Feb 24, 2011
www.CheeseburgersWithGod.com
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
WOW. You have no idea who I am, the value I place upon women or my work in missions or Couples Coaching. You are blinded by your own commitment to a fundamental belief in Monogamy as Gods plan when there is NO evidence in the Bible to suggest this position.
You are not facing the music. What is the point if you just do a hit and run? Did you not want clarification?

bbyrd009

Groper
Nov 30, 2016
Ute City, COLO
www.facebook.com
Faith
Christian
Country

evotell

Nov 13, 2007
Red Deer
Faith
Christian
Country
Canada
No disrespect. I would at least read what you have to say but that won't be by going to read some other man's work. It is nothing against them. Or you. If you believe you have a message, then you should have the words to put it forth.

I assume you read the Bible and if im not mistaken that was also written by men, fallen man in fact, who perceived reality through their own filters......

bbyrd009

Groper
Nov 30, 2016
Ute City, COLO
www.facebook.com
Faith
Christian
Country
I assume you read the Bible and if im not mistaken that was also written by men, fallen man in fact, who perceived reality through their own filters......
ah then wadr you are mistaken, see, as Scripture was not written by men,

It was God~Breathed, and we have many, many, many copies of the original, even if no one can read them or translate them, these being the parts where men intervene i guess

(don't get me wrong, in another venue/context i might agree, and even extend the definition of "Scripture" to more like "Paul's definition of Scripture, including Jannes and Jambres," etc, iow what men have discovered to be true and tested, written down, bc it was revealed to them by God)

evotell

Nov 13, 2007
Red Deer
Faith
Christian
Country
Canada
One in spirit.

You see this is the problem when you try to interpret the Bible literally when it was never written to be read that way. Take off your Greek hat and put on a Jewish story telling culture...

bbyrd009

Groper
Nov 30, 2016
Ute City, COLO
www.facebook.com
Faith
Christian
Country
They spoke Spirit.
yes, and imo "their own filters" is a fail because they subjected their opinions to their fellows, put them through the fire first iow
most of the OT mythology likely predates Babylon even, Hammurabi, etc
Torah is not some new guy's singular opinion, i don't think; they wrote ancient, tested truths, contained in parables imo

Last edited:

bbyrd009

Groper
Nov 30, 2016
Ute City, COLO
www.facebook.com
Faith
Christian
Country
One in spirit.

You see this is the problem when you try to interpret the Bible literally when it was never written to be read that way. Take off your Greek hat and put on a Jewish story telling culture...
why do you keep turning the subject to me, rather than just explaining your position?
i did not seek a verdict from a judge, but ty.
As far as i am concerned you can have as many wives as you like ok, we're just testing whether Scripture condones the practice as you have asserted.

"One in Spirit?" i might agree in a sense, but this is not what Scripture says, is It.
It states "the two shall become one flesh."
although i haven't verified this in the Lex yet, might not even be there i guess

and this one?
Hebrews 13:4 Marriage should be honored by all, and the marriage ...

Marriage should be honored by all, and the marriage bed kept pure, for
God will judge the adulterer and all the sexually immoral.

Last edited:
Reactions: ScottA

bbyrd009

Groper
Nov 30, 2016
Ute City, COLO
www.facebook.com
Faith
Christian
Country
so bam pls tell me some more about how you and Jesus compare so well, i'm all ears ok.
if it is truth, it will survive a little fire, right