1. Welcome to Christian Forums, a Christian Forum that recognizes that all Christians are a work in progress.

You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Mormonism

Discussion in 'Christian Apologetics Forum' started by CoreIssue, Feb 6, 2019.

1. Jane_Doe22

Jane_Doe22 Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Christian
    United States
    Note: it is helpful to "disprove" things which are actually believed, rather than straw-man arguments. Too often I see folks of faith X "disproving" a point that they claim Y believes, but in reality Y folks don't actually believe that.

I'm using 'X' and 'Y' here because I've found that this behavior is a human condition, and there are some folks in every group that do this (giving and receiving that treatment).

2. tzcho2

tzcho2 Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Christian
    United States
    Their salvation doctrine is blown to bits as soon as they claim humans can become gods and will rule their own planets. Cults are secretive because it's the way of cults, it doesn't matter what specific one they are, it is a cult characteristic that they only tell what is acceptable in the beginning & don't go exposing some of the teachings that they know are unusual. In Mormonism, JW's , Freemasonry, Scientology, or any cults the pattern is the same, first they hook people in by friendly welcoming , then they gradually give them more and more information about the spiritual teachings. They will deny it if anyone confronts them of some of the crazier known teachings.. .They do not go to the more "advanced" teachings with the novices. People get indoctrinated gradually, and in some cults they will give them grades to achieve , it's like special initiations, then they receive more advanced spiritual "teachings" because they've shown that they are "ready" to receive them. It is typical generally speaking in cults that they are very hierarchical and controlling with the more advanced elders at the top.
    Some of mormons are like politicians, very deceptive and slick , beware of that. Go do the research so you won't be tricked by the flattering talk. Like one on this forum who down right lies about the doctrines. Church of LDS preaches a false Christ, and a false gospel.

Last edited: May 19, 2019
  3. aspen

aspen “"The harvest is plentiful but the workers are few

Faith:
    Christian
    United States
    Well, I suspect you do not understand the history of Christianity.....Deification or Divination is part of it

Jane_Doe22 likes this.
  4. Jane_Doe22

Faith:
    Christian
    United States
    I am literally open to any question, assuming that the asker is actually interested in the answer (else it's just a waste of time).

Other folks are more reserved / don't come to generic-Christian forums because commonly LDS Christians are treated very badly on generic-Christian forums, and they don't want to stay in such an environment.
    There's not really a covert thing going on the LDS Christian side of things.
    Only in the sense that the Father is the Father of everyone: me, you, Mother Teresa, Hitler, the mailman, Elvis, Christ, Lucifer, etc. Despite this commonality, we all vary in the degree to which we follow God: Mother Teresa being a good example, Hitler being not. There shared spiritual parentage doesn't automatically make Mother Teresa worse or Hitler better. The two extremes of righteousness and sin are Jesus Christ (the only Begotten Son of God & Savior of the world) and Lucifer (whom fell and totally forsaked the Father and became the devil).
    The biggest differences you're come across with that are:
    Protestants separated salvations and anticipation into two different topics, whereas as LDS Christians (and most other non-Protestants) see it as a joint topic of discipleship. Salvation comes by having faith in God, and is an undeserved gift. This real faith changes a person, calling them to repent and follow in His ways.

5. Jane_Doe22

Faith:
    Christian
    United States
    Again, I'm happy to answer any question, assuming that the asker is actually interested in the answer (else it's a waste of time).
    Dude: that's just personal attack. Completely unneeded and destructive to real dialogue.

6. aspen

Faith:
    Christian
    United States
    I think a problem I have with the many LDS I have talked with is that their eagerness to share their religion is not match with any interest in learning about what I believe.

7. Jane_Doe22

Faith:
    Christian
    United States
    If we're talking about missionaries (of any faith) I find the above tends to be true: missionaries tend to be more interested in speaking than listening, to varying degrees.

I've never been a missionary and never intend to be.

(Edit to fix type-o)

Last edited: May 18, 2019
  8. tzcho2

tzcho2 Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Christian
    United States
    Don't blatantly deny what is taught in Mormonism then, and I wouldn't have to warn anyone not be deceived.

Last edited: May 19, 2019
  9. Jane_Doe22

Faith:
    Christian
    United States
    Dude: I am OCD honest.
    If you feel that you need to respond to honesty with personal attacks to "warn" people, that's on you.

10. tzcho2

tzcho2 Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Christian
    United States
    We need to recall Apostle Paul's warning
    Galatians 1:8 "But even if we or an angel from heaven should preach a gospel contrary to the one we preached to you, let him be under a divine curse! 9As we have said before, so now I say again: Ifanyone is preaching to you a gospel contrary tothe one you embraced, let him be under a divine curse! 10Am I now seeking the approval of men, or of God? Or am I striving to please men? If I were still trying to please men, I would not be a servant of Christ.…"

Here is an example of some teachings from the Mormon book, called " The Teachings of Brigham Young." who is known as the second president of the LDS and called an Apostle of Jesus Christ by the Mormons. "God the Father was once a man on another planet...." Problemo! They teach another Gospel and then some....

Chapter 4
    "Knowing and Honoring the Godhead
    God the Father, His Son Jesus Christ, and the Holy Ghost constitute the Godhead. President Brigham Young taught the Latter-day Saints to worship God the Father and address prayers to Him in the name of Jesus Christ. He taught further that God the Father was once a man on another planet who “passed the ordeals we are now passing through; he has received an experience, has suffered and enjoyed, and knows all that we know regarding the toils, sufferings, life and death of this mortality” (DBY, 22).

11. Jane_Doe22

Faith:
    Christian
    United States

Galations 1 is actually one of the most faith
    AFFIRMING chapters of scripture for me. Thank you for quoting it.
    Actually LDS Christians don't have any official doctrinal stance on the Father's history.
    There are a grand total of 2 speculative quotes that address the matter, but they are non-canonical speculations and aren't even discussed in actual LDS church services. Any individual member is free to have whatever opinion they want on these two quotes (including "that's bunk") and be 100% in good standing.
    Aside: LDS do not believe in automatic 24/7 perfection of human leaders- there's only one 100% perfect man to have walked this earth and His name is Jesus.

This off-base type of "criticism" rely more on flaming sensationalism rather than fact checking.

amadeus likes this.
  12. tzcho2

tzcho2 Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Christian
    United States
    It is an attempt at deception. The LDS is a cult , it is not Christian, the teachings & doctrines are set , they don't change.
    Thanks for proving my point.

Last edited: May 18, 2019
  13. Lady Crosstalk

Lady Crosstalk Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Christian
    Canada

tzcho2 likes this.
  14. Lady Crosstalk

Lady Crosstalk Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Christian
    Canada

In speaking to a former Mormon (and there aren't a lot of those around), he said that, at first, their doctrine sounds very Christian and that Mormons are some of the nicest people you can find anywhere. It is only later that the weird theology starts being taught. Mormonism is basically a form of Gnosticism.

15. Jane_Doe22

Faith:
    Christian
    United States
    Not really.

Lady Crosstalk, if you want me to address of these "claims", I will happily do so with OCD honesty. I already addressed CoreIssues original post in this thread in post #16. If you want me to talk about any of those subjects again or another subject, I'd be happy to do so. I'm just no longer responding to CoreIssue directly, because I've done so repeatedly and been completely ignored.

16. CoreIssue

CoreIssue Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Christian
    United States
    Once they move from their local church to Temple that is where all the so-called deeper stuff comes out.

17. CoreIssue

CoreIssue Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Christian
    United States
    As a woman you do not become a temple Mormon.

18. tzcho2

tzcho2 Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Christian
    United States
    Mormonism is a demonic teaching.

19. Jane_Doe22

Faith:
    Christian
    United States
    Again, not even actuate as to actual beliefs.

It's totally ok to disagree with another person's beliefs. But arguing against something no one actually believes is a little silly.

aspen likes this.
  20. aspen

Faith:
    Christian
    United States
    Strawman arguments are so transparent and worthless - well, I guess they can be self satisfying:

“Catholics worship Mary!”
    “But the Catholic Church doesn’t teach this idea......”
    “See! I told you! Catholics are Pagan because they worship Mary!”

Nancy and Jane_Doe22 like this.