mormons exposed.

• Welcome to Christian Forums, a Christian Forum that recognizes that all Christians are a work in progress.

You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Jane_Doe22

Jul 29, 2018
Mid-west USA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
This is likely a good thing which I suspect stems at least in part from the Boys Scouts of America a few years ago finally yielding to pressure to change from more traditional Christian policies with regard to LGTBQ members and leadership. You may correct me on this if I am error.
That was indeed one of many nails in the BSA-LDS relationship coffin.

Other ones include the fact that Boy Scouts of America doesn't work outside of the USA, dropping of interest in BSA within American LDS Christians, conflicting goals/resources, etc.

Last edited:
Reactions: amadeus

Waiting on him

Dec 21, 2018
North America
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
I know a bit about the LDS Church....I’ve read the BOM and PoGP and I read ‘No Man Knows My History’ by Fawn Brodie, who got excommunicated later on. I’ve also taking some classes at their university ministry.

Unfortunately, much of what LDS believe seems to be a bit speculative. Being on the same page with other members does not seem to be a priority, so actually determining what the average LDS member believes can be allusive.
Sounds like Protestant.

Reactions: amadeus

justbyfaith

Jun 28, 2018
San Pedro
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
because LDS Christians aren't Creedal Christians.

At least you are able to admit that...

JBF,
You say "hate" meant to "love less." Does that mean when it is spoken of God that "He hates sin.", that He loves it a little less than righteousness?

I think not. In each instance, the meaning in different verses is governed by the content of THAT particular passage... or even, the whole chapter or book. Thus, we cannot seize upon one meaning in one place as THE standing and accepted meaning of the same word in ALL places. That would be "One Verse Christianity."

Yes, I can see that hate might mean something different in one verse than in another (it might even be a different Greek word); and that the context even determines the meaning. I do believe that every verse stands on its own as a bastion of truth as it stands in light of its context. We certainly gain understanding of certain verses that we didn't have before when we look at their immediate and topical contexts.

1Co 2:13, Which things also we speak, not in the words which man's wisdom teacheth, but which the Holy Ghost teacheth; comparing spiritual things with spiritual.

This verse gives us a hermeutic that is to be followed. It is said here that the Holy Ghost teaches when we use this hermeneutic.

However, if each verse did not stand on its own as the truth of the Lord, then when we compare verses, we will not be able to come to the truth either...there will always be doubt as to whether one or both of the verses has something wrong in it that isn't the truth of the Lord.

It is only if both verses being compared are known to be the truth that we can come to a solid conclusion in the comparing of them.

Therefore, I would say that, indeed, every verse does indeed stand alone as being the truth of the Lord: and that we can count on scripture as we study it verse-by-verse.

Context helps; but once you know the context and understand the meaning of the verse in light of the context, you can abandon the context and hold the verse to be solid truth in the interpretation that the context has given you.

Last edited: