Must a Christian Work to Keep Themself Sinless in Order to Keep Their Salvation?

• Welcome to Christian Forums, a Christian Forum that recognizes that all Christians are a work in progress.

You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

An Apologetic Sheepdog

Aug 12, 2021
Atlanta, Ga
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
The OP in the title mentions sinlessness to maintain ones salvation.

No he did not. In the post you quoted and in the OP. ( and I'm not defending him)

The OP (Jared) simply asked a question and it seems people have been jumping to all kinds of things since.

I suggest you go back and read slowly and carefully what exactly he said ( and what he didn't)

If you agree with his premise ( or disagree)- fine, state your case and let the debate begin but don't create a straw man argument of what he didn't say and argue against that.

Brakelite

Feb 6, 2020
Melbourne
brakelite.wordpress.com
Faith
Christian
Country
Australia
Symbolically its very simple and obvious. They both co mingle but "sheep" represent the charge of the shepherd and goats represent those who do not surrender their will ( specifically in scriptural context, those who do not submit to the shepherd)

Several examples are given- each focusing on a specific attribute

All take place during judgement

None of this has any bearing or standing on the question of a "believer" ( defined as one who is written in the book of life) facing any kind of judgement ( defined as sentence given by a court against a law) because Believers do not face the white throne.

That should not be confused or viewed as synonymous with the believers "reward" ( payment for services rendered) which would be more correctly describes as an "performance review".
In the parable, Jesus starts with...
KJV Matthew 25:32-33
32 And before him shall be gathered all nations: and he shall separate them one from another, as a shepherd divideth his sheep from the goats:
33 And he shall set the sheep on his right hand, but the goats on the left.

Then there's that in between bit about doin good and stuff. Feeding the hungry, clothing the naked, etc. He concluded with...

KJV Matthew 25:45-46
45 Then shall he answer them, saying, Verily I say unto you, Inasmuch as ye did it not to one of the least of these, ye did it not to me.
46 And these shall go away into everlasting punishment: but the righteous into life eternal.

Maybe y'all reading that different from me, but I don't see anything in there about rewards and stuff. All I see at the end of a contrast between life and death..

ChristisGod

Aug 15, 2020
California
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
No he did not. In the post you quoted and in the OP. ( and I'm not defending him)

The OP (Jared) simply asked a question and it seems people have been jumping to all kinds of things since.

I suggest you go back and read slowly and carefully what exactly he said ( and what he didn't)

If you agree with his premise ( or disagree)- fine, state your case and let the debate begin but don't create a straw man argument of what he didn't say and argue against that.
his OP comments have nothing to do with the title in the OP.

his comments are nothing but a strawman.

An Apologetic Sheepdog

Aug 12, 2021
Atlanta, Ga
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Maybe y'all reading that different from me, but I don't see anything in there about rewards and stuff. All I see at the end of a contrast between life and death..

I guess you didn't see this part either>>>> None of this has any bearing or standing on the question of and the depth of the discussion far exceeds the scope of the 2 scripture you posted (Go see posts from around 110-115 for the whole context)

ChristisGod

Aug 15, 2020
California
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Is English not your first language?

Go back and read slowly and carefully
Make you point clearly in understandable English and quit with your ad hominem attacks. If you cannot do that then quit quoting me. I don't have time for your games. If you want to discuss theology I'm all in for that dialogue otherwise ignore this post.

Lets see your apologetic since that is part of your screen name. I'm willing to discuss any scripture or doctrine is an intelligent and respectful manner.

hope this helps !!!

Reactions: GaryAnderson

An Apologetic Sheepdog

Aug 12, 2021
Atlanta, Ga
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Make you point clearly in understandable English and quit with your ad hominem attacks.

I did

Lets see your apologetic since that is part of your screen name. I'm willing to discuss any scripture or doctrine is an intelligent and respectful manner.

I did

Go back and read all the associated posts and see if you can put it all together- when you do that and then understand it and then have a question- I'll be happy to explain it to you.

ChristisGod

Aug 15, 2020
California
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
I did

I did

Go back and read all the associated posts and see if you can put it all together- when you do that and then understand it and then have a question- I'll be happy to explain it to you.
Then quote a verse and lets discuss it I'm not reading though the thread. If you are unwilling then go in peace. I don't have time to play games. Its not my forte.

An Apologetic Sheepdog

Aug 12, 2021
Atlanta, Ga
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Then quote a verse and lets discuss it I'm not reading though the thread. If you are unwilling then go in peace. I don't have time to play games. Its not my forte.

You brought up the inquiry and if its not worth your time to define what you were inquiring about- don't expect me to do it for you.

If you have a question, I'll address it.

BARNEY BRIGHT

Oct 29, 2017
Thomaston Georgia
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
What leads you to think Paul is talking about Salvation in this passage?

Exercising faith in God has always been a requirement. So has obedience. This means you do deeds or acts that show you truly have faith in God. You believe Jesus to be your Lord and King, then be obedient to your king. The first two commandments are about showing your complete love for the Only True God and showing love to your neighbor as yourself. True faith is about being obedient to God's word. You say you love God and your neighbor, then don't be trying to kill your neighbor or bear false witness against him/her. Don't even covet what is his/hers, etc. You can talk about being saved all you want but if you show by your life that you have no deeds or acts that show you love the True God and your neighbor, what you say is meaningless.

An Apologetic Sheepdog

Aug 12, 2021
Atlanta, Ga
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Exercising faith in God has always been a requirement. So has obedience. This means you do deeds or acts that show you truly have faith in God. You believe Jesus to be your Lord and King, then be obedient to your king. The first two commandments are about showing your complete love for the Only True God and showing love to your neighbor as yourself. True faith is about being obedient to God's word. You say you love God and your neighbor, then don't be trying to kill your neighbor or bear false witness against him/her. Don't even covet what is his/hers, etc. You can talk about being saved all you want but if you show by your life that you have no deeds or acts that show you love the True God and your neighbor, what you say is meaningless.

You didn't even come close to answering his question with all those words- you just gave double talk.

Why?

An Apologetic Sheepdog

Aug 12, 2021
Atlanta, Ga
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
You do understand that showing you have complete love for God and your neighbor is required. That means do not murder, do not covet, do not bear false witness,etc.

Required for what?

"loving your neighbor" means not to murder him (i guess it could indirectly apply)

You need work Barney. Lots of it

Tong2020

Apr 30, 2020
Faith
Christian
Country
Philippines

Salvation (unto eternal life) is of God, is by God, is by grace.

Tong
R4081

BARNEY BRIGHT

Oct 29, 2017
Thomaston Georgia
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
You didn't even come close to answering his question with all those words- you just gave double talk.

Why?
I really could care less what you think about what I said. I know for a fact, that anyone who calls himself/herself a Christian and is practicing coveting, or stealing or bearing false witness etc isn't a Christian, they're just people who say their Christians.

BloodBought 1953

Jun 3, 2020
Portsmouth Ohio
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
You do understand that showing you have complete love for God and your neighbor is required. That means do not murder, do not covet, do not bear false witness,etc.

Nobody has “ complete love” for God nor his neighbor .....If that is the Standard in becoming “ fit for Heaven”, there ain’t NOBODY gonna make it there.....Frankly, what is needed is a “ Loop- Hole”..... I got mine....It’s Resting in the Gospel Of Grace .....you can find it in 1Cor15:1-4...... its for all sane men and women who do not measure up to God’s Standard ( perfection ) and know it and admit it.....

All those relying on their Performance ( like how well they do when trying to Love God with *ALL* their heart, soul and mind or pretending that they can REALLY Love their neighbors
as much as they love themselves ) are going to be the ones saying , “ we did this and we did that !”, completely ignoring what JESUS did, ( He did it ALL, btw) and they will be the ones hearing” depart from me, I Never Knew You”.....

Men like me who “fall short” every hour of every day and know it and admit it and cling to the Grace Of God granted to us simply because we Believed the Gospel —— what are we going to hear when the Accuser brings up all of our sins before God? We will hear God say, “ What sins? I seem to have “ Forgotten them!”

God made a Promise to all men that would Trust Him and Him Alone for their Salvation —- “ Their Sins I will REMEMBER NO MORE!”.........I’m just a big enough fool to actually believe God will Keep His Word.....THAT is what Faith is.....you got any?

Reactions: Addy