Must a Christian Work to Keep Themself Sinless in Order to Keep Their Salvation?

• Welcome to Christian Forums, a Christian Forum that recognizes that all Christians are a work in progress.

You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Tong2020

Apr 30, 2020
Faith
Christian
Country
Philippines
The thing is, when it comes to the scriptures, the scriptures always tell us that Jesus is the Christ, the Son of the living God. The scriptures show what we must believe about Jesus Christ such scriptures as John 3:16 and John 17:3. There are other scriptures of course that tell us the relationship that Jesus Christ has with God such as John 20:17 or Ephesians 1:17 and many more, but the point I'm trying to make here is that people can say or believe Jesus is God, either by the Bible version they use or by the way they interpret scripture. I don't believe however that such scriptures as John 20:17, John 17:3, John 3:16 and Ephesians 1:17 to name a few are in any way which they have been written down to be inaccurate or untrue.
My point was that, to the church, of which those who belong are called Christians, in the early stage, that is, in the days of the apostles, the gospel was preached by the apostles. So, whether or not one belongs to that church that Jesus Christ built through the apostles, does not really depend on denominations’ name or what. There was no catholic, protestants or JW. There were only Christians. But there are nominal Christians and true Christians, even from the time of the apostles. There were antiChrist and false teachers among them. Among of which teach of a different Jesus or a different gospel. And Paul was quick to write and warn the church in his letter to the Christians in Corinth and Galatia about such teachings and false teachers. Paul warned “even if we, or an angel from heaven, preach any other gospel to you than what we have preached to you, let him be accursed”. Such teachers, according to John, are antiChrist and went out from the church, that they be made manifest. And what do you suppose of them who went out from the church, if not that they had deceived many and came from them many false teachers and antiChrist denominations of all sorts, who believe in a different Jesus and gospel. So, there is need for each of us today to search the inspired scriptures and see whether we are in the faith, that is, whether the Jesus and gospel we received and believe is the gospel that the apostles preached.

Now if there were scriptures that the apostles referred to during their preaching concerning Jesus and the gospel, it was the OT scriptures. And if there were events that the apostles preached concerning Jesus and the gospel, it was those they were first hand witnesses to. And if there were teachings that they taught, those were the direct teachings of Jesus Christ to them by Himself, and by the Holy Spirit whom Jesus sent to them to teach them of the truth.

Now, regarding the person of the Lord Jesus Christ, what does the OT scriptures says concerning that? Let me just give you one passage to consider as a start. God was the one speaking here.

Zech. 12:10 And I will pour on the house of David and on the inhabitants of Jerusalem the Spirit of grace and supplication; then they will look on Me whom they pierced. Yes, they will mourn for Him as one mourns for his only son, and grieve for Him as one grieves for a firstborn.

Now, regarding the person of the Lord Jesus Christ, what does the NT scriptures says concerning that? Let me just give you an event recorded in the NT. Do you know the story about Paul, his conversion? You can read about it in Acts 9 and Acts 22. Read for yourself and see whom Paul identifies as the one who talked to him and whom Ananias identifies as the one who talked to him. Also, Ananias told Paul “ wash away your sins, calling on the name of the Lord.” Who do you say is the Lord did Paul call to?

Tong
R4122

Last edited:

Curtis

Apr 6, 2021
KC
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
And there are no Jehovahs witnesses in the new covenant.

Jesus’ message to the church in Acts 1 is they will be HIS witnesses.

Act 1:8 But you will receive power when the Holy Spirit has come upon you, and you will be my witnesses in Jerusalem and in all Judea and Samaria, and to the end of the earth.”

The correct name for a Christian sect would therefore be Jesus’ Witnesses.

Even the name the watchtower picked is incorrect - it’s Jesus’Witnesses, not Jehovahs Witnesses.

Maranatha

Curtis

Apr 6, 2021
KC
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
The Watchtower failed 1914 prophecy:

Russell's Studies in the Scriptures series had explicitly identified October 1914 as the "full end of the times of the Gentiles" and consequently the "farthest limit" of human rulership.[15] It would bring the beginning of Christ's millennial reign[1] and all his followers expected the immediate "translation of the saints" to rule with the revealed Christ that year. Following the earth's tribulation and unrest, the Jews would return to God's favor, the "nominal Church" would have fallen, the final battle between Christ and Satan would have ended, the kingdoms of the world would be overthrown, and Christ would have gathered his saints into heaven, where they would reign with him, and when the millennium would begin.[1]The belief was unequivocal, based on his study of the Bible and the Great Pyramid, and satisfied only upon the establishment of an earthly paradise; Russell remarked that by altering the prophecy even one year would destroy the perfect symmetry of its biblical chronology.[16] In the second book of his Studies in the Scriptures series he described it as "an established truth that the final end of the kingdoms of this world, and the full establishment of the Kingdom of God, will be accomplished at the end of A.D. 1914".[17] The result, he wrote, was that "all present governments will be overthrown and dissolved",[17] along with the destruction of "what God calls Babylon, and what men call Christendom".[18]In an 1894 Watch Tower, responding to readers who questioned whether—because of recent political upheavals—the world could last until 1914, he wrote:

As 1914 approached, excitement mounted over the expected "change" of anointed Christians.[5] Early that year some Bible Students, convinced the end of the world had arrived, began distributing their material belongings, abandoning their jobs and eagerly anticipating the future.[20] In May 1914—five months from the expected end—Russell warned followers against succumbing to doubt:

But by September, Russell was preparing Watch Tower readers for the possibility that "Armageddon may begin next spring, yet it is purely speculation to attempt to say just when." Yet the evidence, he wrote, still pointed "to the year just before us—particularly the early months".[22]

When again nothing took place, predictions regressed to their earlier short-term orientation. The Watch Tower wrote: "It may be that many of the Lord's people were expecting more than they should have looked for to occur with the opening of the Jewish year 1915, which began with September 21. The human mind seems to have a natural tendency, and one with which we should have sympathy, to expect matters to culminate more rapidly, fulfillments to come more suddenly, than they ever do come ... Studying God's Word, we have measured the 2520 years, the Seven symbolic Times, from that year 606 B.C. and have found that it reached down to October, 1914, as nearly as we were able to reckon. We did not say positively that this would be the year. We merely left every one to look at the facts of history and reckon for himself."[23]

He took that opportunity to remind readers of some cautionary pronouncements he had made several years earlier. In 1912 he had left open the possibility that, if nothing happened in October 1914, it could still happen in October 1915. He also pointed out that the period of transition could run "a good many years".[16]

In a lengthy article of consolation, Russell wrote that it was a testing time for Christ's disciples and that some Bible Students had unreal expectations. He said it was also possible that God's Kingdom on earth would be established gradually:[13][16]

Yet on October 2, 1914, he entered the staff dining room at the Watch Tower Society headquarters and declared that the Gentile times had ended and that "their kings have had their day."[1] It signaled that God had withdrawn his benevolent disposition towards the Christian nations.[23] The statement implied that the legitimacy of earthly governments had been downgraded in the eyes of God, which sociologist Joseph Zygmunt suggested may have contributed to the subsequent adoption of bolder tactics in condemning the global political system.[5]

Russell viewed the outbreak of World War I as the beginning of Armageddon, which would soon descend into worldwide revolution[24] and in 1916, shortly before his death, he reaffirmed his conviction that the end was close and the harvest of saints was ongoing:

In posthumous editions of his Studies in the Scriptures, entire sections were rewritten to accommodate the failure of the anticipated events, with 1914 now identified as "the beginning of the end of Gentile times". The outbreak of World War I was taken to be its confirmation. Sociologist James Beckford claimed that Russell's "sometimes ingenious" ex post factorationalizations of events in 1914 contributed to the survival of the Bible Student movement.[13] Under doctrinal changes introduced by his successor, Joseph Franklin Rutherford, it was later decided that the Millennium would come within the generation of those who saw the events of 1914. The years of 1799 and 1874, until then significant dates in Russell's millennial chronology, were also abandoned.[16]

Yet Chrissides said there was no clear failure of the predictions surrounding 1914. "Although there was clear disappointment at the non-occurrence of certain empirically observable events, a number of the events to which Russell alludes are incapable of disconfirmation. One cannot verify the beginning of Christ's sovereign rule, the cleansing of the sanctuary, and the admission to heaven of those who have experienced the 'high calling'. Even events like the ending of the Gentile times do not have obvious empirical indicators."[1]

BARNEY BRIGHT

Oct 29, 2017
Thomaston Georgia
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Tango2020 Said:
Such teachers, according to John, are antiChrist and went out from the church, that they be made manifest. And what do you suppose of them who went out from the church, if not that they had deceived many and came from them many false teachers and antiChrist denominations of all sorts, who believe in a different Jesus and gospel. So, there is need for each of us today to search the inspired scriptures and see whether we are in the faith, that is, whether the Jesus and gospel we received and believe is the gospel that the apostles preached.[/Quote\]

In the scriptures at Matthew 13:24-30 Jesus Christ said there would be weeds. He explained this illustration at Matthew 13:36-43. Jesus was telling us that an apostasy would come.
These teachers, who according to John, who are antiChrists that he said went out from us, were made manifest. These are the weeds that Jesus spoke of, the ones that John said were antiChrists that went out from the them and became apostates.
Understand this, wheat never transforms into weeds. The weeds were weeds right from the beginning and have remained weeds, they never transform into wheat. So in the world of mankind we have had two kinds of people among the world of mankind, weeds and wheat.
Jesus tells us in Matthew in the illustration of the wheat and weeds that it was when men were sleeping when Satan came and sewed his weeds. In the scriptures the word sleep can symbolize death or spiritual drowsiness. Scriptures such as Matthew 9:24; Romans 13:11; 1Thessalonians 5:6 tell us this.
The Apostle Paul after he had spoken of, 'finishing his course,' told the elders from the Christian congregation in Ephesus at Acts 20:24-31- "I know that after my going away oppressive wolves will enter in among you and will not treat the flock with tenderness, and from among you yourselves men will rise and speak twisted things to draw away disciples after themselves."

Historical facts show that it was, "while men were sleeping" that Satan came and oversowed weeds in among the wheat. Once the Apostles, who collectively 'acted as a restraint' upon apostasy, began falling asleep in death, many Christian elders failed to "keep awake." 2 Thessalonians 2:3, 6-8
Becoming spiritually drowsy, they didn't protect the "sons of the kingdom" from the "oppressive wolves" that began entering in among them. As I said these were the weeds Jesus Christ spoke of that were sown among the "fine seed." The Apostle John when referring to the approaching end of the apostolic period, John being the last of the apostles to die, wrote at 1John 2:18,19- Young children, it is the last hour, and, just as you have heard that antichrist is coming, even now there have come to be many antichrists; from which fact we gain the knowledge that it is the last hour. They went out from us, but they were not of our sort; for if they had been of our sort, they would have remained with us. But they went out that it might be shown up that not all are of our sort.
The point I'm trying to make here is at the harvest which Jesus says is the end of the world which means during the second presence of Jesus Christ this harvest is to start happening. The history of the Catholic and protestant Churches show their fruits and those fruits don't define them as true Christians. It shows them to be weed like organizations which is why there so many divisions or denominations. Christendom which is a religious organization that claims to follow Jesus Christ and which includes such churches as protestant and Catholic churches is going to be destroyed because it's a weed like organization and always has been.

Curtis

Apr 6, 2021
KC
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Tango2020 Said:
Such teachers, according to John, are antiChrist and went out from the church, that they be made manifest. And what do you suppose of them who went out from the church, if not that they had deceived many and came from them many false teachers and antiChrist denominations of all sorts, who believe in a different Jesus and gospel. So, there is need for each of us today to search the inspired scriptures and see whether we are in the faith, that is, whether the Jesus and gospel we received and believe is the gospel that the apostles preached.[/Quote\]

In the scriptures at Matthew 13:24-30 Jesus Christ said there would be weeds. He explained this illustration at Matthew 13:36-43. Jesus was telling us that an apostasy would come.
These teachers, who according to John, who are antiChrists that he said went out from us, were made manifest. These are the weeds that Jesus spoke of, the ones that John said were antiChrists that went out from the them and became apostates.
Understand this, wheat never transforms into weeds. The weeds were weeds right from the beginning and have remained weeds, they never transform into wheat. So in the world of mankind we have had two kinds of people among the world of mankind, weeds and wheat.
Jesus tells us in Matthew in the illustration of the wheat and weeds that it was when men were sleeping when Satan came and sewed his weeds. In the scriptures the word sleep can symbolize death or spiritual drowsiness. Scriptures such as Matthew 9:24; Romans 13:11; 1Thessalonians 5:6 tell us this.
The Apostle Paul after he had spoken of, 'finishing his course,' told the elders from the Christian congregation in Ephesus at Acts 20:24-31- "I know that after my going away oppressive wolves will enter in among you and will not treat the flock with tenderness, and from among you yourselves men will rise and speak twisted things to draw away disciples after themselves."

Historical facts show that it was, "while men were sleeping" that Satan came and oversowed weeds in among the wheat. Once the Apostles, who collectively 'acted as a restraint' upon apostasy, began falling asleep in death, many Christian elders failed to "keep awake." 2 Thessalonians 2:3, 6-8
Becoming spiritually drowsy, they didn't protect the "sons of the kingdom" from the "oppressive wolves" that began entering in among them. As I said these were the weeds Jesus Christ spoke of that were sown among the "fine seed." The Apostle John when referring to the approaching end of the apostolic period, John being the last of the apostles to die, wrote at 1John 2:18,19- Young children, it is the last hour, and, just as you have heard that antichrist is coming, even now there have come to be many antichrists; from which fact we gain the knowledge that it is the last hour. They went out from us, but they were not of our sort; for if they had been of our sort, they would have remained with us. But they went out that it might be shown up that not all are of our sort.
The point I'm trying to make here is at the harvest which Jesus says is the end of the world which means during the second presence of Jesus Christ this harvest is to start happening. The history of the Catholic and protestant Churches show their fruits and those fruits don't define them as true Christians. It shows them to be weed like organizations which is why there so many divisions or denominations. Christendom which is a religious organization that claims to follow Jesus Christ and which includes such churches as protestant and Catholic churches is going to be destroyed because it's a weed like organization and always has been.

Saying all that is not proving all that.

By their fruits you shall know them: who runs all those homeless shelters, free medical clinics, food kitchens, and thousands of other charities all over the world, including orphanages?

Jesus sends those who do nothing to help the needy to everlasting fire, prepared for Satan and his angels:

Mat 25:41Then he will say to those on his left, ‘Depart from me, you cursed, into the eternal fire prepared for the devil and his angels.

Mat 25:42 For I was hungry and you gave me no food, I was thirsty and you gave me no drink,

Mat 25:43 I was a stranger and you did not welcome me, naked and you did not clothe me, sick and in prison and you did not visit me.’

Mat 25:44 Then they also will answer, saying, ‘Lord, when did we see you hungry or thirsty or a stranger or naked or sick or in prison, and did not minister to you?’

Mat 25:45 Then he will answer them, saying, ‘Truly, I say to you, as you did not do it to one of the least of these, you did not do it to me.’

Mat 25:46 And these will go away into eternal punishment, but the righteous into eternal life.”

It’s not the watchtower helping the needy - it’s the “weeds”

Tong2020

Apr 30, 2020
Faith
Christian
Country
Philippines
Tong2020 Said:

A clear misuse of the parable of the wheat and the tares (weeds). But let me comment to what you’ve been saying there.

<<<In the scriptures at Matthew 13:24-30 Jesus Christ said there would be weeds. He explained this illustration at Matthew 13:36-43. Jesus was telling us that an apostasy would come.>>>

The parable does not speak anything about apostasy.

<<<Understand this, wheat never transforms into weeds. The weeds were weeds right from the beginning and have remained weeds, they never transform into wheat.>>>

You got that right at least. However, even while you got that, you don’t seem to realize that such refutes your teaching of a coming apostasy as being spoken in the parable.

Regarding the rest of what you say about the catholics and protestants, implying them to be weeds, while JW to be wheats, is clearly all based on a misuse of the parable of the wheat and the tares.

Perhaps you want to revisit the parable. At the end of Jesus’ explanation of the parable, He said “He who has ears to hear, let him hear!”

<<<The history of the Catholic and protestant Churches show their fruits and those fruits don't define them as true Christians.>>>

Perhaps you are looking at those who had weed fruits but not at those who had wheat fruits. Are you claiming that catholics and protestants are all weeds and JWs are all wheats? And since you say “in the world of mankind we have had two kinds of people among the world of mankind, weeds and wheat.”, what are the rest who aren’t catholic or protestants or JWs?

Now, remember what is said in the parable, the weeds were sowed among the wheat. And remember, wheat were sowed as wheat and the weeds were sowed as weeds.

And speaking of the history of the catholics and protestants, how about the history of JWs? When did the JW organization started? Who started it or founded it? From what I read, his name is Charles Taze Russell. He comes from a family who were members of the Presbyterian Church, a protestant church, right? At age thirteen, Russell left the Presbyterian Church to join the Congregational Church, another protestant church, right? So, he was basically protestant, right?

Tong
R4136

Last edited:

Truman

Jul 31, 2020
Brantford
Faith
Christian
Country
Canada
Show me a sinless Christian and I'll show you a river in Egypt!
A reborn spirit is sinless...we are spirit, soul, and body. :)

BARNEY BRIGHT

Oct 29, 2017
Thomaston Georgia
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
A clear misuse of the parable of the wheat and the tares (weeds). But let me comment to what you’ve been saying there.

<<<In the scriptures at Matthew 13:24-30 Jesus Christ said there would be weeds. He explained this illustration at Matthew 13:36-43. Jesus was telling us that an apostasy would come.>>>

The parable does not speak anything about apostasy.

<<<Understand this, wheat never transforms into weeds. The weeds were weeds right from the beginning and have remained weeds, they never transform into wheat.>>>

You got that right at least. However, even while you got that, you don’t seem to realize that such refutes your teaching of a coming apostasy as being spoken in the parable.

Regarding the rest of what you say about the catholics and protestants, implying them to be weeds, while JW to be wheats, is clearly all based on a misuse of the parable of the wheat and the tares.

Perhaps you want to revisit the parable. At the end of Jesus’ explanation of the parable, He said “He who has ears to hear, let him hear!”

<<<The history of the Catholic and protestant Churches show their fruits and those fruits don't define them as true Christians.>>>

Perhaps you are looking at those who had weed fruits but not at those who had wheat fruits. Are you claiming that catholics and protestants are all weeds and JWs are all wheats? And since you say “in the world of mankind we have had two kinds of people among the world of mankind, weeds and wheat.”, what are the rest who aren’t catholic or protestants or JWs?

Now, remember what is said in the parable, the weeds were sowed among the wheat. And remember, wheat were sowed as wheat and the weeds were sowed as weeds.

And speaking of the history of the catholics and protestants, how about the history of JWs? When did the JW organization started? Who started it or founded it? From what I read, his name is Charles Taze Russell. He comes from a family who were members of the Presbyterian Church, a protestant church, right? At age thirteen, Russell left the Presbyterian Church to join the Congregational Church, another protestant church, right? So, he was basically protestant, right?

Tong
R4136

Let's just take one aspect of Christendom, which includes Catholic and protestant Churches, like all religious organizations that are false the churches of Catholics and Protestants have always preached their members into wars. Catholics have always killed other Catholics in wars and so have Protestants kill Protestants. There are probably those who think that Jesus taught his Apostles and disciples to kill each other because, that's showing love to each other. Killing each other isn't showing love to each. Not having that true love that Christians are suppose to have among themselves is the reason they kill each other in wars. This as I said, is just one aspect of Catholic and protestant Churches. But it explains why there has been so much bloodshed among them throughout history.

As a youth, Russell joined the Congregational Church and was active in its work, but the unreasonableness of traditional dogmas led to his becoming a skeptic. He found that what he had been taught could not be defended from the Bible in a satisfying way. So he discarded the dogmas of church creed and, with them, the Bible. Next, he explored leading Oriental religions, but they too proved unsatisfying. Then he began to wonder if perhaps the Bible was being misrepresented by Christendom’s creeds. Encouraged by what he heard one evening at an Adventist meeting, he began a systematic study of the Scriptures. What he saw unfolding before him was indeed the inspired Word of God.
So Charles Russell didn't remain in those churches, he left those churches. This was the beginning of when the True God through his Only-Begotten Son Jesus Christ started calling people out of the world empire of false religion. Christendom which as I said includes Catholic and protestant Churches is part of the world empire of false religion. Like I said the true God through his Only-Begotten Son started calling people out of the world empire of false religion which is when Charles Taze Russell started digging for the truth which was in the scriptures.

To draw thinking people back to God’s Word, he would present every text in the King James Version in which words such as Soul or hell etc was found, and showed readers for themselves what these said, or how the king James Bible itself uses these words. He was thankful to God, to be allowed to show people that no such place as hellfire where persons are tortured exists. He showed also that in the many places the Bible uses the word Soul it isn't said in scripture that the Soul is immortal but instead is mortal and so experiences death.

Tong2020

Apr 30, 2020
Faith
Christian
Country
Philippines
Let's just take one aspect of Christendom, which includes Catholic and protestant Churches, like all religious organizations that are false the churches of Catholics and Protestants have always preached their members into wars. Catholics have always killed other Catholics in wars and so have Protestants kill Protestants. There are probably those who think that Jesus taught his Apostles and disciples to kill each other because, that's showing love to each other. Killing each other isn't showing love to each. Not having that true love that Christians are suppose to have among themselves is the reason they kill each other in wars. This as I said, is just one aspect of Catholic and protestant Churches. But it explains why there has been so much bloodshed among them throughout history.

As a youth, Russell joined the Congregational Church and was active in its work, but the unreasonableness of traditional dogmas led to his becoming a skeptic. He found that what he had been taught could not be defended from the Bible in a satisfying way. So he discarded the dogmas of church creed and, with them, the Bible. Next, he explored leading Oriental religions, but they too proved unsatisfying. Then he began to wonder if perhaps the Bible was being misrepresented by Christendom’s creeds. Encouraged by what he heard one evening at an Adventist meeting, he began a systematic study of the Scriptures. What he saw unfolding before him was indeed the inspired Word of God.
So Charles Russell didn't remain in those churches, he left those churches. This was the beginning of when the True God through his Only-Begotten Son Jesus Christ started calling people out of the world empire of false religion. Christendom which as I said includes Catholic and protestant Churches is part of the world empire of false religion. Like I said the true God through his Only-Begotten Son started calling people out of the world empire of false religion which is when Charles Taze Russell started digging for the truth which was in the scriptures.

To draw thinking people back to God’s Word, he would present every text in the King James Version in which words such as Soul or hell etc was found, and showed readers for themselves what these said, or how the king James Bible itself uses these words. He was thankful to God, to be allowed to show people that no such place as hellfire where persons are tortured exists. He showed also that in the many places the Bible uses the word Soul it isn't said in scripture that the Soul is immortal but instead is mortal and so experiences death.
As I pointed out, regarding the history of the catholics and protestants, JW organization only was founded by Mr. Russell only sometime in the 1870s. So there is really not much of a history to tell. He was a protestant even. And following your line of reasoning, he also belonged to the protestant church you generally condemn as “weeds”. And in your misuse of the parable of the wheat and the tares, he therefore is one of the weeds. And since weeds don’t transform to be wheat, then you know what that means.

After the death of Mr. Russell, I read that a certain member, Mr. Rutherford made significant organizational and doctrinal changes, including adoption of the name Jehovah's witnesses in 1931 to distinguish them from other Bible Student groups and symbolize a break with the legacy of Russell’s tradition. After Russell's death, “a crisis arose surrounding Rutherford's leadership of the society, culminating in a movement-wide schism. That as many as three-quarters of the approximately 50,000 Bible Students who had been associating in 1917 had left by 1931. This shift resulted in the formation of several groups that retained variations on the name Bible Students. That those who maintained fellowship with the Watch Tower Society adopted the name Jehovah's witnesses in 1931, while those who severed ties with the Society formed their own groups including the Pastoral Bible Institute in 1918, the Laymen’s Home Missionary Movement in 1919, and the Dawn Bible Students Association in 1929”. The point is, crisis and schism does happen.

But back to Mr. Russell. Regarding the second coming of Christ, he believed that Christ had returned invisibly in October 1874. That later his Watch Tower Society, as if to prophesy, made various predictions about major biblical events such as Christ's Second Coming, the advent of God’s Kingdom, and Armageddon. And all were evidently false. That only points to them as false prophets, right? Well, that would be enough for one to not pay attention to them.

Going back to the parable of the wheat and the weeds, what you were taught about it, only shows just another of what the JW teachers had missed.

Tong
R4137

Last edited: