Must Someone Pray In Order To Be Saved

• Welcome to Christian Forums, a Christian Forum that recognizes that all Christians are a work in progress.

You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

andycothran

Oct 12, 2010
I was always taught that one must pray and Christ into their heart later i heard that thats not biblical ..Can someone help me with this ? Thank you 

aspen

“"The harvest is plentiful but the workers are few
Apr 25, 2012
West Coast
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
I was always taught that one must pray and Christ into their heart later i heard that thats not biblical ..Can someone help me with this ? Thank you

The phrase 'asking Jesus into your heart' is not in the Bible.

The Bible tells us that we are saved through God's Grace though faith in His Son Jesus Christ because of His sacrifice on the Cross.

Jesus also tells us that to know Him is to know the Father and that many will approach the throne where Jesus is the judge and claim to know Him, but Jesus will say to them 'I never knew you' so this is where the importance of prayer comes in.

We are to pray to be conformed to God's Will - this will strengthen our relationship with God.

The idea is to pray to God and ask for His justification (acknowledge your sin and ask for forgiveness though the sacrifice Jesus made on the Cross) and sanctification (that God will work on your heart to help you learn how to love and forgive)

Christians believe that Jesus will transform us into citizens of heaven during a life long relationship with Him and that we will one day be in full communion with Him after death and for eternity.

Peace.

SaberTruth

Oct 9, 2010
USA
The reason we come to God through Jesus is to be reconciled with Him, and the means by which we are reconciled is faith in Jesus' divinity, humanity, death on our behalf, and resurrection in a new physical but immortal body. That is, we must believe the right thing for the right reason. I can't think of any time in the NT where we are told to say a formal prayer to be saved.

And it follows that if we are reconciled with God, we will want to "get along" with Him. We know from our own human relationships that it would be a lie to claim we've reconciled with someone when we either ignore them or irritate them all the time. So our motivation for turning from sin should not be merely to escape judgment or earn rewards, but to please our Savior out of gratitude and love.

Surf Rider

Dec 17, 2009
in the kingdom of heaven right now
(Isa 1:18) Come now, and let us reason together, says Jehovah; though your sins are as scarlet, they shall be as white as snow; though they are red like crimson, they shall be like wool.

God requires that we come to Him. Do you come to a person and not communicate with them? That would be quite humorous to see! "prayer" is merely a word denoting talking with God. It has come to be butchered and misappropriated, and thus it has also come to mean "A prayer", being a specific statement or type thereof. To reason with God is to talk with God. That doesn't have to be verbal, for "God knows the thoughts of man", and other scriptures like unto it. This is why, even right at the start of the Exodus, God told the Israelites to follow His voice! And then in the prophets, God said that those who are His would listen to His voice and respond in accordance to it. (Isa 30:21) And your ears shall hear a word behind you, saying, This is the way, walk in it, when you turn to the right hand and when you turn to the left." This was true with Enoch, for he walked with God, and was no more, for God took him. This first verse given also states that when we come to God, and reason with Him in accordance with His views, we will be forgiven. This ties into the NT statements that Christ himself also gave, that to know God is to hear His voice, (John 10), and that those who hear His voice are His sons, such as in John's epistles.

As a man thinks, so is he. Thus their thoughts are the deciding factor.
(Rom 2:13-16) (For not the hearers of the law are just before God, but the doers of the law shall be justified. For when the Gentiles, which have not the law, do by nature the things contained in the law, these, having not the law, are a law unto themselves: Which show the work of the law written in their hearts, their conscience also bearing witness, and their thoughts the mean while accusing or else excusing one another;) In the day when God shall judge the secrets of men by Jesus Christ according to my gospel."

And by the way, we do not ask for forgiveness either, just as we do not ask God into our hearts! (1Jo 1:9) If we confess our sins, He is faithful and just to forgive us our sins, and to cleanse us from all unrighteousness." We confess our sins. He forgives our sins. We do not need to ask for forgiveness, we are to confess. Romans 4:7,8 state this, and that is from Psalm 32. If we actaully take the time to go read all of Psalm 32, we see everything stated already in this post to be true: (Psa 32:1) A Psalm of David. A Contemplation. Blessed is the man whose transgression is forgiven, whose sin is covered.

(Psa 32:2) Blessed is the man to whom Jehovah does not charge iniquity, and in whose spirit there is no guile.

(Psa 32:3) When I kept silence, my bones became old through my roaring all the day long.

(Psa 32:4) For by day and by night Your hand was heavy on me; my sap is turned into the droughts of summer. Selah.

(Psa 32:5) I confessed my sin to You, and my iniquity I have not hidden. I said, I will confess my transgression to Jehovah; and You forgave the iniquity of my sin. Selah.

(Psa 32:6) For this let every godly one pray to You, in a time when You may be found; surely in the floods of great waters they shall not come near him.

(Psa 32:7) You are my hiding place; You shall preserve me from trouble; You shall circle me with songs of deliverance. Selah.

(Psa 32:8) I will instruct you and teach you in the way which you should go; I will counsel you, My eye shall be on you.

(Psa 32:9) Be not like the horse, or like the mule, who have no understanding, whose mouth must be held in with bit and bridle, so that they do not come near you.

(Psa 32:10) The wicked has many sorrows, but mercy embraces him who trusts in Jehovah.

(Psa 32:11) Be glad in Jehovah, and rejoice, you righteous; and shout for joy, all you upright in heart.

This scripture clears shows that one must talk with God, and when David did this, confessing his sins, God forgave him. He knew this, and rejoiced in it.

I find it prudent to search the scriptures, to know them, so that we can actually give a correct, godly, scripturally sound answer to questions that naturally arise. The NT tells us to be ready to do this in all things, right? The Bereans were commended for doing this. Much of Christendom is led astray by those who do not do this, not doing it themselves. "Trust in God, and lean not on your own understanding, and He will make your paths straight". That's spiritual paths that is being spoken of. We are to trust in God, not turning to the teachings of man for understanding God! That was hit by God in "come, reason with me".

Go to God. That is prayer. Christ even exampled this by this: (Luk 18:13) And standing afar off, the tax-collector would not even lift up his eyes to Heaven, but struck on his breast, saying, God be merciful to me a sinner!
The simple cry of the heart to God is prayer, and a beautiful thing in God's eyes, a "sweet smelling sacrifice" and a "sacrifice of praise". God doesn't give two hoots about sacrificing bulls and goats. The liturgical prayers are empty and vain, and are contrived by man. Flee such wickedness, and speak your heart to God, for Rev. 8:1-4 convey this truth in a very picturesque, vivid way.

To God be the glory, for (Psa 103:8) Jehovah is merciful and gracious, slow to anger, and rich in mercy.

(Psa 103:9) He will not always chasten, nor will He keep His anger forever.

(Psa 103:10) He has not dealt with us according to our sins, nor rewarded us according to our iniquities.

(Psa 103:11) For as the heavens are high above the earth, so is His mercy toward those who fear Him.

(Psa 103:12) As far as the east is from the west, so far has He removed our transgressions from us.

(Psa 103:13) As a father pities his children, Jehovah pities those who fear Him.

(Psa 103:14) For He knows our form; He remembers that we are dust.

(Psa 103:15) As for man, his days are as grass; as a flower of the field, so he flourishes.

(Psa 103:16) For the wind passes over it, and it is gone; and its place shall know it no more.

(Psa 103:17) But the mercy of Jehovah is from everlasting to everlasting on those who fear Him, and His righteousness is to sons of sons;

(Psa 103:18) to those who keep His covenant, and to those who remember to do His Commandments.

(Psa 103:19) Jehovah has prepared His throne in the heavens; and His kingdom rules over all.

(Psa 103:20) Bless Jehovah, O angels of His, who excel in strength, who do His command, listening to the voice of His Word.

(Psa 103:21) Bless Jehovah, all His hosts, ministers of His who do His pleasure.

(Psa 103:22) Bless Jehovah, all His works in all places of His rule; bless Jehovah, O my soul.

The truth about prayer is throughout the scritpures, thank God! Blessed is the man who knows them and believes them and lives them, for those who are lead by the Spirit of God, are sons of God.

Amen. Even so come, Lord Jesus.

andycothran

Oct 12, 2010
The reason we come to God through Jesus is to be reconciled with Him, and the means  by which we are reconciled is faith in Jesus' divinity, humanity, death  on our behalf, and resurrection in a new physical but immortal body.  That is, we must believe the right thing for the right reason. I can't think of any time in the NT where we are told to say a formal prayer to be saved.

And it follows that if we are reconciled with God, we will want to "get  along" with Him. We know from our own human relationships that it would  be a lie to claim we've reconciled with someone when we either ignore  them or irritate them all the time. So our motivation for turning from  sin should not be merely to escape judgment or earn rewards, but to  please our Savior out of gratitude and love.

The problem i am seeing inthis is that you are talking about the right motives ,,How on earth can anyone be sure that they come to Christ with the right motives .How man millions have come to christ with a fear and terror of hell ..Are they then discarded because they didn't get it right ..I didn't think God was that legalistic or did i ?.

SaberTruth

Oct 9, 2010
USA
The problem i am seeing inthis is that you are talking about the right motives ,,How on earth can anyone be sure that they come to Christ with the right motives .How man millions have come to christ with a fear and terror of hell ..Are they then discarded because they didn't get it right ..I didn't think God was that legalistic or did i ?.
Actually, right motives are the opposite of legalism. Fear of hell might be one reason a person wanted to be reconciled, but the point is whether they wanted to be reconciled. If all they wanted was a "get out of hell free" card and cared nothing for relating to God, then I'd say that person is probably not saved. But if they wanted to be on good terms with God, then regardless of what motivated that decision, the goal was reconciliation. Anyone who claims to be saved but ignores God or continually sins against Him is denying their words by their actions.

How hard is it for anyone to say whether they want to be reconciled with God? And what hoops did they have to jump through to get it?

BritGuy

Sep 18, 2010
I was brought up Anglican, but I only went because my dad wanted me to go, there was nothing inspiring there for me so when I left for University I stopped going. While there I started to consider the purpose of my life, and realised I didn't have one that satisfied me, "the world was my oyster", but there was no pearl! I tended to worry & had no answers.

So when some people who obviously believed in the bible spoke to me I decided to investigate properly. I started going to various church meetings and was told to pray a “sinners prayer”, believing, and as such I was "a Christian". For the next 18 months I continued going to meetings and reading books by people considered to be "Christian leaders" to try and work out God's will for me, without success! All I got was opinions.

Then I met people who were not going to different churches and reading lots of books about God, they had a confidence and contentment I had not attained to, despite my efforts. I realised my relationship with God was mostly one-way, from me, not the daily, growing 2-way relationship they seemed to have.

They had received the Holy Spirit and spoke in tongues (an unlearned prayer language that God leads his people in, cos only he knows his perfect will for us, it allows him to minister his grace & love to our hearts - 1 Cor. 14v2, 4; Jude 20-21). They also had other direct input and leading from God. After a while I realised I was getting nowhere spiritually so for the first time I actually prayed expecting God to *do* something... namely give me the same as them or whatever else I needed.

One evening I was alone in my room, not doubting or fearing, just believing God had said yes to me (because he could have no favourites), and wanting nothing more, I prayed and spoke in tongues and in the days that followed I realised I had the Life spoken of in the bible, whereas before I was trying to be something I was not ! I used to worry and get bored, now I see God opening my understanding about why things are the way they are, and more importantly, what life can be like.

I left the old churches because I could see they was as I was before, not as I wanted to be. The church I'm now in is like the one in the new testament, all members have the new Life, we have a unity I never found before. I now have contentment and fulfilling purpose that only the living God can give. I am now able to know God's thoughts and live according to His nature because I have His heart and mind through the Holy Spirit in me.

I believed God has no favourites and He doesn't change, I expected the SAME as the people I'd met (and the people ion the New Testament - Acts 2:4, 33-39; 10:44-46), you should do the same!